Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
13th Region and Mountain Basketball Trivia
(03-02-2021, 11:42 AM)HCS Wrote: Keith told me that 85 Cumberland team was as good as the Hopkinsville team he lost to in the state finals. I didn't ask him about how they ranked all time, but he may have said that.

Harlan had a great run in the 60s but didn't win that much in the 70s.
Cawood made its first ever appearance in the regional in 1976, so they struggled the first 10 years the school was open.
Cumberland and Lynch were the top teams in the first half of the 70s.

I think Coach Keith was exactly right about Cumberland. I believe they were ever bit as good as Hopkinsville. If I'm not mistaken I think Cumberland just lost by a point to Keith and the Tigers in the regional final in '85.  Cumberland was good enough to win multiple games in the Sweet Sixteen that year.
(03-02-2021, 11:42 AM)HCS Wrote: Keith told me that 85 Cumberland team was as good as the Hopkinsville team he lost to in the state finals. I didn't ask him about how they ranked all time, but he may have said that.

Cawood made its first ever appearance in the regional in 1976, so they struggled the first 10 years the school was open.
  Question for anyone- In either the 78-79 season or the 79-80 I seen Lynch play in the Grant Co. Invit., they had a really good player think his last name was Mitchell or something like that. Does anyone remember that team or that name and if it was Mitchell were did he play college ball.
(03-02-2021, 04:46 PM)Big Daddy Bull Wrote:

Question for anyone- In either the 78-79 season or the 79-80 I seen Lynch play in the Grant Co. Invit., they had a really good player think his last name was Mitchell or something like that. Does anyone remember that team or that name and if it was Mitchell were did he play college ball.

Bruce Mitchell. He was an all-state guard his senior season at Lynch . He went on to sign with EKU.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Old School Hound's post:
  • Big Daddy Bull
What two schools are #1  and #2   on the all-time list for most consecutive homecourt wins?    Both are mountain schools.

#1  :   1984-1993

#2  :   2004- 2010
Clay Co is '84-'93 I'm pretty sure. I'm not sure about 2004-2010.
(03-03-2021, 11:27 AM)nedreader Wrote: Clay Co is '84-'93 I'm pretty sure.  I'm not sure about 2004-2010.

Correct, of course, on Clay Co.  120 straight over a nine-year period.   The other is  Shelby Valley. They won, I believe ,  53 straight at home.

(02-27-2021, 03:51 PM)Old School Hound Wrote:  Reed Sheppard has already had multiple 50 point games in his HS career.  He is likely to go for  60 or more before he's finished.

There have been four 13th region players to go for more than 65 points in a single game(one of those four was fairly recent).  

How many of the four can you name?   Two should be pretty easy; the other two, not so much.

Besides Slusher(Lone Jack) and Bolton(Lynn Camp), who are the other two?  One recent, the other way back in the forties.
(03-01-2021, 01:01 AM)Old School Hound Wrote:
(03-01-2021, 12:25 AM)Corbin Wrote: Who all played on those Cumberland and Lynch teams in the 70’s? I recall the teams but some of the names escape me.
HCS  would be the guy for that info.   I know Cumberland had a good team in '85  with Lewis Morris , Freddie Maggard, and future Globetrotter, Paul Gafney.

What school won its only 13th region title in 2003, despite entering district tournament play with a sub .500 record of  11-13 ?

Answer:   Cumberland Redskins

(03-01-2021, 02:44 PM)Old School Hound Wrote:
(02-27-2021, 03:51 PM)Old School Hound Wrote:  Reed Sheppard has already had multiple 50 point games in his HS career.  He is likely to go for  60 or more before he's finished.

There have been four 13th region players to go for more than 65 points in a single game(one of those four was fairly recent).  

How many of the four can you name?   Two should be pretty easy; the other two, not so much.

I will list the two that are difficult and let you guys think some more about the other two.

Bob Slusher of Lone Jack lit up Pineville for  83 pts. back in '57.

Roger Bolton of Lynn Camp hung  78  on  St. C   in '68  .

The other  65+  games occurred in  1943 (68 pts.)  and in  2016 (67 pts) .   Can you name the two guys  had these high-scoring games?

Answer:   WahWah Jones (Harlan)   ;   Peyton Broughton(North Laurel)
This school holds the record for the most points ever given up in a game by a 13th region school . Also, this same school scored the second-most points ever in a game by a 13th region school. The school achieved both of these records within a span of two years. Name the school.
The 13th region boasts several of the most prolific scorers in the history of Kentucky high school basketball .  Who are the five 13th region players that scored more than 3,000 points in their careers?   These five rank   #3  ,  #8  ,   #21  ,  #23  ,  and  #28   all-time in total points scored in their high school careers.  

Can you name one or more of these prolific scorers? 
What father- son tandem combined for more than  650 career coaching wins (over 400 at one 13th region school)  and more than 3,000 career points scored?
(03-05-2021, 12:56 PM)Old School Hound Wrote: What father- son tandem combined for more than  650 career coaching wins (over 400 at one 13th region school)  and more than 3,000 career points scored?

Had to look up all of the teams in the 13th so this is just a wild guess was it the Broughton's at Laurel Co. now South Laurel?

(03-05-2021, 01:27 PM)Big Daddy Bull Wrote:
(03-05-2021, 12:56 PM)Old School Hound Wrote: What father- son tandem combined for more than  650 career coaching wins (over 400 at one 13th region school)  and more than 3,000 career points scored?

Had to look up all of the teams in the 13th so this is just a wild guess was it the Broughton's at Laurel Co. now South Laurel?

I was actually surprised the see the Laurels in the 13th, when I was coming up they were in the 12th(I think)

I was actually surprised the see the Laurels in the 13th, when I was coming up they were in the 12th(I think)

That's a really good guess. I think Coach Broughton is Peyton's great uncle(??)   Coach Broughton coached at 12th region Laurel County(remember the Paul Andrews shot) and also at Apollo. He amassed over 400 career wins.

The tandem that the above question refers to is a 13th region coach/father and player/ son .
Mike and Michael Jones?

(03-04-2021, 12:20 PM)Old School Hound Wrote: This school holds the record for the most points ever given up in a game by a 13th region school . Also, this same school scored the  second-most points ever in a game by a 13th region school.  The school achieved both of these records within a span of two years.  Name the school.

Lynn Camp gave up over 150 to one of the now defunct Laurel County schools. I think Lily but maybe it was Hazel Green.

They also scored 130 or so in a game vs. St. Camillus.

I've heard this question before but not 100% sure of the Laurel County school that lit them up. I'm pretty sure it was Lily though.
(03-05-2021, 04:33 PM)Corbin Wrote:
Mike and Michael Jones?

(03-04-2021, 12:20 PM)Old School Hound Wrote: This school holds the record for the most points ever given up in a game by a 13th region school . Also, this same school scored the  second-most points ever in a game by a 13th region school.  The school achieved both of these records within a span of two years.  Name the school.

Lynn Camp gave up over 150 to one of the now defunct Laurel County schools. I think Lily but maybe it was Hazel Green.

I've heard this question before but not 100% sure of the Laurel County school that lit them up. I'm pretty sure it was Lily though.

Lynn Camp is correct.   And it was Lily that scored 157 on them.  Lynn Camp beat St C. something ridiculous like 130-15.

The Jones' is also a really good guess.   Mike Jones had over 600 wins but  Michael  didn't have the 3,000 points.  

Can you think of another father/son tandem? The son played for the father from 1989-1993 and the father coached at the school from '73-'93 .
(03-05-2021, 06:14 PM)Old School Hound Wrote:
Mike and Michael Jones?

Lynn Camp is correct.   And it was Lily that scored 157 on them.  Lynn Camp beat St C. something ridiculous like 130-15.

The Jones' is also a really good guess.   Mike Jones had over 600 wins but  Michael  didn't have the 3,000 points.  

Can you think of another father/son tandem? The son played for the father from 1989-1993 and the father coached at the school from '73-'93 .
I can’t think of any father son duos where the son scored over 3000. Strange and his son at Pineville but the years don’t match.
(03-06-2021, 12:02 AM)Corbin Wrote:
(03-05-2021, 06:14 PM)Old School Hound Wrote:
Mike and Michael Jones?

I can’t think of any father son duos where the son scored over 3000. Strange and his son at Pineville but the years don’t match.

Larry Gritton , Sr  had more than 650 coaching wins( 410 at OBI)  and Larry Gritton, Jr. scored 3,058 pts as a player for his dad at Oneida.
(03-05-2021, 12:20 AM)Old School Hound Wrote: The 13th region boasts several of the most prolific scorers in the history of Kentucky high school basketball .  Who are the five 13th region players that scored more than 3,000 points in their careers?   These five rank   #3  ,  #8  ,   #21  ,  #23  ,  and  #28   all-time in total points scored in their high school careers.  

Any thoughts on these top point producers?
Peyton Broughton, Larry Gritton Jr., I think Andrew Taylor and maybe Charles Thomas. Is that four of them? I know the first two are correct.
(03-07-2021, 11:54 PM)Van Hagar Wrote: Peyton Broughton, Larry Gritton Jr., I think Andrew Taylor and maybe Charles Thomas. Is that four of them? I know the first two are correct.

Very good VH. Got all four.  You know your 13th region.   You're gonna kick yourself at forgetting the fifth one.

Didn't play his whole HS career at 13th region school .
(03-05-2021, 12:20 AM)Old School Hound Wrote: The 13th region boasts several of the most prolific scorers in the history of Kentucky high school basketball .  Who are the five 13th region players that scored more than 3,000 points in their careers?   These five rank   #3  ,  #8  ,   #21  ,  #23  ,  and  #28   all-time in total points scored in their high school careers.  

3.  Andrew Taylor (Corbin)  3,628 pts.

#8 Charles Thomas (Harlan)  3,365 pts.

#21  Shannon Hoskins (M.C.Napier/Clay Co.)  3,160 pts

#23  Peyton Broughton (North Laurel)  3,142 pts.

#28  Larry Gritton, Jr. (OBI)   3,058   pts.
Didn't realize Taylor wound up that high on the list. Playing pretty well for Marshall last time I checked. And you're right, I can't believe I whiffed on Hoskins.
Who was the last  13th Region player to suit up for the Big Blue?

BONUS:   

There are three 13th Region players who have their jerseys hanging from the rafters of Rupp. Can you name all three?

EXTRA HARD BONUS :   

There is another 13th Region player that played for UK back in the late thirties and then had a short career with the NY Knicks . He was one of the first "big men" in the 1940's in pro basketball  and was the starting center for the first NY Knicks team. He was one of the most dominating players in KY State Tournament history , scoring 57 percent of his teams points and being named State Tournament MVP in leading his team to the 1936 state title. Both he and his brother were named All State Tournament team in '36 and both received scholarships to play at UK. Both brothers played together  on the 1939-1940 UK basketball team.   Can you name this man(and his brother) ?
(03-08-2021, 08:18 AM)Van Hagar Wrote: Didn't realize Taylor wound up that high on the list.  Playing pretty well for Marshall last time I checked.  And you're right, I can't believe I whiffed on Hoskins.

People forget how good Andrew was. Hit his first varsity game winner as a 7th grader and that was the beginning of something special. Crazy that he never won a 13th region player of the year award and finished 3rd all time in scoring. And you're correct, he's starting and doing well for Marshall.
(03-08-2021, 01:44 PM)FootballFan1999 Wrote:
(03-08-2021, 08:18 AM)Van Hagar Wrote: Didn't realize Taylor wound up that high on the list.  Playing pretty well for Marshall last time I checked.  And you're right, I can't believe I whiffed on Hoskins.

People forget how good Andrew was. Hit his first varsity game winner as a 7th grader and that was the beginning of something special. Crazy that he never won a 13th region player of the year award and finished 3rd all time in scoring. And you're correct, he's starting and doing well for Marshall.

I'll share an Andrew Taylor story with you guys when I get the time.

Remember also that Andrew missed a few games late in his senior season due to suspension.  Had he not missed those games, he would have surpassed  Charlie Osborne for second on the all-time scoring list behind King Kelly Coleman .  Andrew finished just  19 points behind Osborne. One more game and he would have surpassed him.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Old School Hound's post:
  • FootballFan1999
(03-08-2021, 11:02 AM)Old School Hound Wrote: Who was the last  13th Region player to suit up for the Big Blue?

BONUS:   

There are three 13th Region players who have their jerseys hanging from the rafters of Rupp. Can you name all three?

EXTRA HARD BONUS :   

There is another 13th Region player that played for UK back in the late thirties and then had a short career with the NY Knicks . He was one of the first "big men" in the 1940's in pro basketball  and was the starting center for the first NY Knicks team. He was one of the most dominating players in KY State Tournament history , scoring 57 percent of his teams points and being named State Tournament MVP in leading his team to the 1936 state title. Both he and his brother were named All State Tournament team in '36 and both received scholarships to play at UK. Both brothers played together  on the 1939-1940 UK basketball team.   Can you name this man(and his brother) ?
1. Cory Sears (Corbin)
2. Jerry Bird (Corbin), Wah Wah Jones (Harlan), Richie Farmer (Clay County)
3.Marion Cluggish and his brother Stan (Corbin)
(03-08-2021, 11:07 PM)Corbin Wrote:
(03-08-2021, 11:02 AM)Old School Hound Wrote: Who was the last  13th Region player to suit up for the Big Blue?

BONUS:   

EXTRA HARD BONUS :   

1. Cory Sears (Corbin)
2. Jerry Bird (Corbin), Wah Wah Jones (Harlan), Richie Farmer (Clay County)
3.Marion Cluggish and his brother Stan (Corbin)
Mighty impressive performance, Corbin. Six former 13th region players and ex-UK Wildcats and five with a Corbin connection.   Sears, Bird, and the Cluggish brothers played at Corbin  and  Richie Farmer was born in Corbin . 

For those who haven't read "The Boys from Corbin: America's Greatest Little Sports Town"  by Gary P. West , you should pick it up. It's a great read, particularly for those who are sports lovers and residents in eastern KY.
What 13th region player from the mid sixties went on to help UK to a 26-2 record one season , including a 18 pt. performance in a Mideast Region final loss to big Artis Gilmore and Jacksonville AND had a son that helped UK to a national championship nearly three decades later?
(03-09-2021, 11:58 AM)Old School Hound Wrote: What 13th region player from the mid sixties went on to help UK to a 26-2 record one season , including a 18 pt. performance in a Mideast Region final loss to big Artis Gilmore and Jacksonville AND had a son that helped UK to a national championship nearly three decades later?
terry mills from knox county, father of cameron.
(03-09-2021, 03:08 PM)Corbin Wrote:
(03-09-2021, 11:58 AM)Old School Hound Wrote: What 13th region player from the mid sixties went on to help UK to a 26-2 record one season , including a 18 pt. performance in a Mideast Region final loss to big Artis Gilmore and Jacksonville AND had a son that helped UK to a national championship nearly three decades later?
terry mills from knox county, father of cameron.

You're an encyclopedia !    Who the hell are you, Don Estep?   LOL
I'm just an old lump of coal with a nagging wife and too damn much time on my hands. Big Grin
[-] The following 1 user Likes Corbin's post:
  • Old School Hound