Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hopkinsville and Christian County
I am hearing roomers that there is "talks" of starting a discussion of a mega school between the two public high schools. If this is true obviously they would be immediate 6A but do you think they could compete with the traditional "big boys"?
No.
I just don't see them building a school that big. If anything I've heard they would be more likely to build a 3rd high school in oak grove.
That would be a dumb move athletically. Half the opportunity for student-athletes in the area. And they wouldn't fare any better in 6a at the top.
2022: Trinity by 6 TD's

2032: Trinity by 6 TD's
I don't see it happening, primarily because I don't see what purpose it serves. In this day and age when school districts consolidate schools it's a usually a product of budget problems and/or declining enrollment. I googled budget info for Christian County and two other like-sized school districts, and Christian County has the highest budget of the three by a sizable margin. And looking at the population in Christian County, it's been holding pretty steady between 70k and 73k since the early 90's. If the population isn't seeing a drastic change, then I don't see why enrollment in the two county schools would be impacted greatly.

Assuming one or both of the actual high school buildings aren't crumbling and in need of functional replacement, I think what you're hearing is just a rumor.

Christian County Schools 2018-19 Budget - $93.2 Million
- 8 elementary schools
- 2 middle schools
- 2 high Schools

Pulaski County Schools 2018-19 Budget - $74.5 Million
- 8 elementary schools
- 2 middle schools
- 2 high Schools

Shelby County Schools 2018-19 Budget - $73.1 Million
- 7 elementary schools
- 3 middle schools
- 2 high Schools
My understanding is and this is all hear say you know how things get twisted around but the schools are in terrible shape. Now my question is remodel and upgrades to each school is that cheaper in the long run or is building a new school cheaper in the long run? I personally think if its possible to keep 2 public high schools because of the distance the kids would have to be on a bus or kids that drive. Also the rivalry is one of the best in the state between Hopkinsville and Christian County. one thing I do disagree with is they would be able to compete with the big boys in my opinion. The athletes this county produces in both schools consistent year after year is crazy good! With that being said all points a valid and I do think it would take a few years to get a "program" built to compete not just right away but a few years.
[-] The following 1 user Likes The_best63's post:
  • missthefield
If Hoptown and County did consolidate nobody in western Kentucky could play with them, those who say they couldn't compete don't know the history and tradition of the two schools. Like the OP said the athletes these two schools put out are off the charts for the size of the county. They have had several NBA players and NFL players and tons of college players come out of Christian County.
[-] The following 1 user Likes missthefield's post:
  • Big Daddy Bull
Not going to say anything about the likelihood of them consolidating because I don't see that happening, but if they did they would absolutely be capable of competing with the top 6A schools. You'd have a larger talent pool, and that coupled with new facilities would make it easier to bring in a good staff. Take into account that a school like that would also likely draw in talent from surrounding counties including Fort Campbell and Clarksville. Yes, they would be able to compete.
[-] The following 1 user Likes RoShamBo's post:
  • Big Daddy Bull
(03-22-2021, 11:01 AM)RoShamBo Wrote: Not going to say anything about the likelihood of them consolidating because I don't see that happening, but if they did they would absolutely be capable of competing with the top 6A schools. You'd have a larger talent pool, and that coupled with new facilities would make it easier to bring in a good staff. Take into account that a school like that would also likely draw in talent from surrounding counties including Fort Campbell and Clarksville. Yes, they would be able to compete.

Agree with this 100%.
(03-22-2021, 11:14 AM)Big Daddy Bull Wrote:
(03-22-2021, 11:01 AM)RoShamBo Wrote: Not going to say anything about the likelihood of them consolidating because I don't see that happening, but if they did they would absolutely be capable of competing with the top 6A schools. You'd have a larger talent pool, and that coupled with new facilities would make it easier to bring in a good staff. Take into account that a school like that would also likely draw in talent from surrounding counties including Fort Campbell and Clarksville. Yes, they would be able to compete.

Agree with this 100%.

Sad thing about it is, in Kentucky when a county school gets close to 2700- 3000 students example Scott County, Shelby Co, Boone Co, most counties instead of building a bigger building like they do in Ohio, Texas, Oklahoma, Florida etc. they spilt the schools into two, so no public school except Male will be able to compete with the likes of Trinity and St. X on a consistent bases.