Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
WLW calling out Dunn & Griffey...Says Dunn plays Drunk
Last Friday, following the Reds' victory over Pittsburgh, 700 WLW radio host Bill Cunningham singled out Adam Dunn and outfielder Ken Griffey Jr. for what he called a lack of hustle. In the game, a base-running error by Dunn cost the Reds two runs in the fourth inning. And Griffey was criticized by Reds announcer Thom Brennaman for not making it to second base after a bloop single dropped between three Pirates.

The next day, Cunningham said Griffey should never wear a Reds uniform again, and said Dunn was drunk during the game. "Adam Dunn looks like a monkey with a football in left field," Cunningham said. "He has to have consequences for what he does. That is again a loafing ballplayer who ... would have blew a .15 if someone gave (him) the intoxilizer last night. I say .15. The son of a gun is drunk. And he's playing baseball in left field for the Redlegs."

Cunningham said he has no facts to support that Dunn was drunk during the game. "It was simply a sarcastic comment made tongue-in-cheek," Cunningham said.

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a...709050348/

Sounds like Dunn & Griff are a little sensitive huh? Grow up guys...Better yet, hustle and play the game the way it should be played and you wouldn't be subject to jokes like these.
I agree that they could both play harder, but Cunningham is out of place making a comment about Dunn being drunk on the field.
Im all for players hustling, but I listen to WLW a lot and Cunningham is an idiot. He's a legend in his own mind and has never been wrong about anything in his life. I've seen him on Hannity & Colmes a few times as well and he makes a fool of himself everytime he's on there.
Bengal Cat Wrote:Im all for players hustling, but I listen to WLW a lot and Cunningham is an idiot. He's a legend in his own mind and has never been wrong about anything in his life. I've seen him on Hannity & Colmes a few times as well and he makes a fool of himself everytime he's on there.

Cunningham's comments may have been over-the-line, but anyone with any sense should know that's just an act and meant to be tounge-in-cheek.

Doesn't anyone else think that just maybe, Dunn and Griff are being babies?
jammin' jamey Wrote:Cunningham's comments may have been over-the-line, but anyone with any sense should know that's just an act and meant to be tounge-in-cheek.

Of course its just an act. He's a radio personality (a bad one in my opinion) and he thrives on making controversial remarks because that means ratings. Thats how you survive in talk radio. Did Dunn over- react? Probably.....but thats easy for us to say since we were not the targets of the comments.
jammin' jamey Wrote:Cunningham's comments may have been over-the-line, but anyone with any sense should know that's just an act and meant to be tounge-in-cheek.

Sorry, I'm going to have to say that those comments were way out of line. He may be right about Dunn and Griffey not hustling all the time, and it would have been fine if he just called them on that, but then he took it to the next level. Even if said in jest, one should never get on the radio and imply that a person showed up to work drunk unless that is actually the case.

I know, it's just an act, but to me it shows a complete lack of talent if the only way one can draw in listeners is to make comments like that. Maybe he could try something crazy like making some intelligent observations or sharing some insights.

IMO, he owes Dunn an apology.
SHELBY VALLEY WILDCATS - 2010 KHSAA STATE CHAMPIONS

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Fenix Wrote:I agree that they could both play harder, but Cunningham is out of place making a comment about Dunn being drunk on the field.
yeah i agree and also about Griffey no wonder they have lost 5 out of 6.
rallo316 Wrote:yeah i agree and also about Griffey no wonder they have lost 5 out of 6.

Don't take this too seriously. Besides, Cunningham apologived to Dunn yesterday. Smile
jammin' jamey Wrote:Don't take this too seriously. Besides, Cunningham apologived to Dunn yesterday. Smile

I would've believed him if he had said it about Freel.Smile Smile
Fenix Wrote:I would've believed him if he had said it about Freel.Smile

Smile Smile That's funny...:rockon:
Fenix Wrote:I would've believed him if he had said it about Freel.Smile Smile

Speaking of Ryan Freel, Griffey and Dunn could learn a thing or two from that little dirtbag. Despite suffering a career-threatening concussion earlier this season, Ryan Freel made a very inspiring comeback, continuing to play the game as hard as ever. I know Griffey is not as nimble as he was in his prime, and we ALL know that Dunn isn't the most fleet-of-foot, but my opinion is if you can't play the game full speed, wide open, all the time...get off the field. Period.
Fenix Wrote:I would've believed him if he had said it about Freel.Smile Smile

Now there's a name I haven't heard mentioned in a while...

I love the way Freel plays the game, and he is one of my favorite Reds, but he is never going to be a full-time starter. I have actually read that he will be on the trading block this winter, and it makes sense when you consider all the outfielders the team has coming back (Griffey, Hamilton, Hopper, Bruce, possibly Dunn). The infield also appears crowded for next year as well, so I'm not sure where he plays.

If he is traded, it will be a shame because he is one player that you could always count on to leave it all on the field every game.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
More Cowbell Wrote:Now there's a name I haven't heard mentioned in a while...

I love the way Freel plays the game, and he is one of my favorite Reds, but he is never going to be a full-time starter. I have actually read that he will be on the trading block this winter, and it makes sense when you consider all the outfielders the team has coming back (Griffey, Hamilton, Hopper, Bruce, possibly Dunn). The infield also appears crowded for next year as well, so I'm not sure where he plays.

If he is traded, it will be a shame because he is one player that you could always count on to leave it all on the field every game.

It would be a shame, but can you play Freel in front of Hamilton, Griffey, Dunn, Hooper? You can't play him in the infield thanks to Jeff Keppinger. Freel won't be a Red next year.

Hooper hustles too and his play is inspiring. I'd say Freel is a direct connection to Hooper's success.
Freel plays the game the way it was meant to be played. Pete Rose and Chris Sabo come to mind.
jammin' jamey Wrote:It would be a shame, but can you play Freel in front of Hamilton, Griffey, Dunn, Hooper? You can't play him in the infield thanks to Jeff Keppinger. Freel won't be a Red next year.

Hooper hustles too and his play is inspiring. I'd say Freel is a direct connection to Hooper's success.

Like I said earlier, there really is no place for Freel to play next year. The outfield and infield are both just too crowded, and Hopper does most of the same things Freel does.

It will be a shame if he is traded, but I think it will benefit the team in the long run. If we can get some pitching help for Freel, that would help the team much more than another utility outfielder/infielder.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]