Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Franklin County 20 Johnson Central 12 (4A Semi-Finals)
Hated to see a Johnson Central get beat. Good season Eagles.
(12-13-2020, 07:37 PM)Old guy Wrote:
(12-12-2020, 11:58 AM)FCSPY Wrote: Fun game to watch, JC commentators are not very good, but the camera work was pretty good. Central will be around for a long time this time of year, FCHS continues to try to prove it belongs.

The commentators that “aren’t very good” won a state broadcasting championship last year. Just sayin’ ...since one of them is my son, I wanted to just fill everyone in.
Your son did a fine job commentating the game
[-] The following 1 user Likes Woodrow F. Call's post:
  • Old guy
(12-12-2020, 11:58 AM)FCSPY Wrote: Fun game to watch, JC commentators are not very good, but the camera work was pretty good. Central will be around for a long time this time of year, FCHS continues to try to prove it belongs.

The commentators that “aren’t very good” won a state broadcasting championship last year. Just sayin’ ...since one of them is my son, I wanted to just fill everyone in.
The broadcast was good but you lost credibility recommending camp pizza when there’s 4 better pizza places in town lol that place is gross man you must be a jeep guy
I want to say a big Thank You to the JC senior class for four years of home-town pride, excitement & entertainment on those magical Friday & Saturday nights. You men accomplished some feats that other schools & towns can only dream of.

Your career W/L record was an amazing 50-6.... only losing two games at Home, and winning 25 straight games between your Junior and Senior seasons.
You won three district championships.
You won four regional championships.
You won three Semi-State championships.
You won the 2019 Class 4A state championship.

Your career didn't end the way you wanted it to, but never hang your heads... you men were part of a football Dynasty. You became role models for the up & coming elementary and middle schools kids that will soon be in the program to carry on the legacy you men help build.
Check out my YouTube channel.
www.youtube.com/c/AlexGreenDifferentBreed
[-] The following 4 users Like Pulp Fiction's post:
  • Bull got out!, Hoot Gibson, Old guy, Woodrow F. Call
(12-14-2020, 02:45 AM)Blue dawg Wrote:

The broadcast was good but you lost credibility recommending camp pizza when there’s 4 better pizza places in town lol that place is gross man you must be a jeep guy

I am a Jeep Guy, but I love the food there. To each his own.
(12-14-2020, 02:45 AM)Blue dawg Wrote:

Probably a Sponsor.  I think it's great that local High Schools are working on developing Broadcast talent.  (Speaking as one who holds a BA from EKU in Broadcasting and spent 10 years in radio)  Congrats on a great season Eagles fans.  I know it was short of where you wanted to be but your consistent record of achievement is worth noting and celebrating.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Hatz's post:
  • Old guy
OK to my understanding, Belfy and JC, a power running mountain teams and both favored.... both held scoreless till the 4th qtr? Huh I guess that's why the game is played on the field and not on paper or judge by social media experts.
(12-12-2020, 09:16 AM)Budsqueezer Wrote: Bill Music went undefeated his final season @ JC and was let go. He started it, Matney just picked ball up an ran with it!!!
Do what??

Musick left JC to become the Superintendent at the Fairview School System after he won something like 10 games, he was not let go.

I think Johnson Central won 3 or 4 total games for the next 3 seasons after he left.

How old are you anyways? 12?
[-] The following 1 user Likes Bob Seger's post:
  • ekywildcat
(12-14-2020, 12:21 PM)Bob Seger Wrote:
(12-12-2020, 09:16 AM)Budsqueezer Wrote: Bill Music went undefeated his final season @ JC and was let go. He started it, Matney just picked ball up an ran with it!!!
Do what??

Musick left JC to become the Superintendent at the Fairview School System after he won something like 10 games, he was not let go.

I think Johnson Central won 3 or 4 total games for the next 3 seasons after he left.

2000 - Bill Musick: 11-1
Lost in the 2nd round to Tates Creek 0-23 in the old Class 4A playoffs.

2001 - Bruce Humphries: 2-8
2002 - Bill Tom Ross: 2-8
2003 - Bill Tom Ross: 1-9

1 win was against a decent Bourbon Co. team in '01.
2 of these wins were against a terrible Magoffin County program in '01 & '02.
1 win was against a Rowan County team that was worse than terrible in '02.
1 win was against a Montgomery County team that was barely able to field a team in '03.

2004 - Jim Matney: 7-3
Matney won his first game 42-0 over Whitesburg with basically the same team that was fielded in '03 & was one win away against Clark Co. of making the playoffs in the old Class 4A.

The 2000 season was Musick's best season ever... he was here for nine seasons and went 50-47 overall and 2-5 in the playoffs.
One undefeated regular season & one district championship was big at the time for us..... but wouldn't say he started the current Dynasty at JC.
The entire senior JC senior class wasn't born when Musick was at JC.
[-] The following 2 users Like Pulp Fiction's post:
  • Bob Seger, Old guy
(12-14-2020, 12:41 PM)Pulp Fiction Wrote:
(12-14-2020, 12:21 PM)Bob Seger Wrote:
Do what??

2000 - Bill Musick: 11-1
Lost in the 2nd round to Tates Creek 0-23 in the old Class 4A playoffs.

2001 - Bruce Humphries: 2-8
2002 - Bill Tom Ross: 2-8
2003 - Bill Tom Ross: 1-9

1 win was against a decent Bourbon Co. team in '01.
2 of these wins were against a terrible Magoffin County program in '01 & '02.
1 win was against a Rowan County team that was worse than terrible in '02.
1 win was against a Montgomery County team that was barely able to field a team in '03.

2004 - Jim Matney: 7-3
Matney won his first game 42-0 over Whitesburg with basically the same team that was fielded in '03 & was one win away against Clark Co. of making the playoffs in the old Class 4A.

The 2000 season was Musick's best season ever... he was here for nine seasons and went 50-47 overall and 2-5 in the playoffs.
One undefeated regular season & one district championship was big at the time for us..... but wouldn't say he started the current Dynasty at JC.
The entire senior JC senior class wasn't born when Musick was at JC.
IMO, Musick's biggest contribution to the program was his strong support of JC's feeder system. Also, I believe that Musick was winless in his first season at JC. The fact that he went winless that first season and JC did not fire him was huge for the program. Principal Steve Trimble knew that Musick was a good coach and stuck with him. Before that season, JC played musical chairs with its head football coaches and nobody was given time to build a program. So, IMO, Musick deserves as much credit for building a program as anybody. Matney build a dynasty but Musick did not leave the cupboard bare - JC just made two bad hires after Musick left for Fairview.
Honestly I dont think that Bill Tom Ross was a bad hire. He had the unfortunate circumstance of having a stoke right when he first started, and was probably not really able to effectively coach the team. He had a very good resume and had been successful everywhere he had been prior to his stint at JC. He just received a bad break of fate..I could never have a bad word to say about anyone who went out there and tried his very best despite not having the gift of good health...IMO, the jury will forever be out on him, however JC did hit a home run with Coach Matney.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Bob Seger's post:
  • Pulp Fiction
(12-21-2020, 03:02 PM)Bob Seger Wrote: Honestly I dont think that Bill Tom Ross was a bad hire. He had the unfortunate circumstance of having a stoke right when he first started, and was probably not really able to effectively coach the team. He had a very good resume and had been successful everywhere he had been prior to his stint at JC. He just received a bad break of fate..I could never have a bad word to say about anyone who went out there and tried his very best despite not having the gift of good health...IMO, the jury will forever be out on him, however JC did hit a home run with Coach Matney.
1,000% agree.
(12-21-2020, 03:02 PM)Bob Seger Wrote: Honestly I dont think that Bill Tom Ross was a bad hire. He had the unfortunate circumstance of having a stoke right when he first started, and was probably not really able to effectively coach the team. He had a very good resume and had been successful everywhere he had been prior to his stint at JC. He just received a bad break of fate..I could never have a bad word to say about anyone who went out there and tried his very best despite not having the gift of good health...IMO, the jury will forever be out on him, however JC did hit a home run with Coach Matney.
In hindsight, I consider Ross to have been a much worse hire than Bruce Humphrey. Coach Humphrey was a good man who, because several other people turned the job down before it was offered to him, was hired way too late to properly prepare for the season. He was not a very good coach but he stepped into a tough situation. I hope that he found more success after he left JC.

I agree that for most of his career, Bill Tom Ross was an excellent coach who came to JC with a very good resume. The stroke undoubtedly affected Ross's ability to do the job, but the fact is he did not do a good job at Johnson Central. My youngest son, who loved football and was one of JC's top returning players as a junior, came home after Coach Ross met with the team for the first time and told his mother and me that he would not be playing football. I will not share his reason here.

My oldest son had started for JC as a sophomore on Bill Musick's last team and played most of two seasons before finally quitting during his senior season. I believe that most people who had a son who played for Coach Ross at JC would agree that it was two long, miserable years for the team, and not just because of the team's poor record. The morale was as low as it could get and the teams were in the worst condition of any in the history of JC football, IMO.

I don't blame anybody for hiring either Humphrey or Ross. Coach Matney came very close to taking the job the year after Musick departed. Despite his poor record, Coach Humphrey was a hard worker and, in hindsight, probably deserved a second season because he was hired so late for his first season.

In Ross's case, I understood at the time that Musick recommended hiring him, and I was satisfied with the decision at the time. He had a very good resume, but things just did not pan out for him or for his players. My youngest son made the right decision by playing other sports after his sophomore season. As I said, I really don't blame anybody for hiring either Humphrey or Ross.

They were probably the best available candidates at the time and I may have made the same decision, had I been in the principal's shoes. I think he hit home runs with both Musick and Matney. It takes time and continuity to build a strong football program and that was lacking until Bill Musick was hired.
(12-21-2020, 06:07 PM)Hoot Gibson Wrote:
In hindsight, I consider Ross to have been a much worse hire than Bruce Humphrey. Coach Humphrey was a good man who, because several other people turned the job down before it was offered to him, was hired way too late to properly prepare for the season. He was not a very good coach but he stepped into a tough situation. I hope that he found more success after he left JC.

I agree that for most of his career, Bill Tom Ross was an excellent coach who came to JC with a very good resume. The stroke undoubtedly affected Ross's ability to do the job, but the fact is he did not do a good job at Johnson Central. My youngest son, who loved football and was one of JC's top returning players as a junior, came home after Coach Ross met with the team for the first time and told his mother and me that he would not be playing football. I will not share his reason here.

My oldest son had started for JC as a sophomore on Bill Musick's last team and played most of two seasons before finally quitting during his senior season. I believe that most people who had a son who played for Coach Ross at JC would agree that it was two long, miserable years for the team, and not just because of the team's poor record. The morale was as low as it could get and the teams were in the worst condition of any in the history of JC football, IMO.

I don't blame anybody for hiring either Humphrey or Ross. Coach Matney came very close to taking the job the year after Musick departed. Despite his poor record, Coach Humphrey was a hard worker and, in hindsight, probably deserved a second season because he was hired so late for his first season.

In Ross's case, I understood at the time that Musick recommended hiring him, and I was satisfied with the decision at the time. He had a very good resume, but things just did not pan out for him or for his players. My youngest son made the right decision by playing other sports after his sophomore season. As I said, I really don't blame anybody for hiring either Humphrey or Ross.

They were probably the best available candidates at the time and I may have made the same decision, had I been in the principal's shoes. I think he hit home runs with both Musick and Matney. It takes time and continuity to build a strong football program and that was lacking until Bill Musick was hired.
The bolded and underlined are FACTS!!!!
(12-14-2020, 12:10 AM)Woodrow F. Call Wrote: Hated to see a Johnson Central get beat. Good season Eagles.
Hated to see it too but I have no doubt they will be right back in the thick of it again next year.