Poll: Should PC do awayy with football
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes, they should
3.33%
No, they shouldn't
96.67%
* You voted for this item.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Should Pikeville College do away with football?
They need to recruit alot more players from this area for me to attend anyways. But I say No...They need to keep football at Pikeville.
HazzBeen Wrote:So is that a reason to quit. Come on, Redneck, you do what is best for the team. When I played college football, I was recruited as a safety and played Full Back. I ended up loving it! My point is this, if you love the game enough and your team enough you will play any position they ask you to. I would do anything rather than quit! If someone is playing in front of you that means plain and simple they are better, not because of their color. Work harder in the off season and beat out the guy next year. I have seen plenty of boys from around here play. Jamerson, Lamb, Brad Allen, Jessie Peck, Barrett Rogers, Wolf (TN), and these were all in the last couple of years.

Nope, that's not a reason to quit, I even said personally I wouldn't have quit. I was recruited as a TE and I played TE at PC. I was recruited more for my hands and my ability to catch a football rather than block, and guess what, I didn't run one pass route the whole tme I was there. They made me put on weight for blockin purposes and I did because that's what I had to do to play. The point I was tryin make was he (Johnson) was promised playin time at LB and he never even got the chance. Some people don't take well to bein lied to. There have been ALOT of local boys over the years that have been promised stuff and it never happened so they quit. Like I said, I played at PC and YES, color WAS a factor in ALOT of cases. Just ask some of the former players besides me about a couple of the old coaches.
Well I coached there redneck, and I coached you. Coaches do not and I repeat do not look at color for playing time. We get paid to win football games and I am sorry but that is the way it is. I have not been a part of the new staff but I know they are paid to win football games also. If it takes playing a kid from South Carolina over a kid from SV, Jenkins, Pikeville, or any other place in the area for me to win the games then that is what I would do too. I am not trying to argue with you, because I think I actually helped in recruiting you. I am just telling you from a coaching stand point.
I do not know very much about what happens in the Pikeville College locker room/practice field and I'm not going to pretend like I do, but IF race plays/played a part in who plays and who sits, that doesn't seem to me like a reason to do away with the football program. That just sounds like a corrupt/racist coaching staff with an agenda, in which case the coach(es) should be done away with, not the entire program. I might have just missed a connection you were making between those issues, redneck, and if I have please correct me.

The only reasonable situation I can think of that would give reason to do away with PC football is if nobody wanted to play. As long as there are players who want to play (in addition to studying) and coaches who want to coach, keep the program.
Tornado Wrote:The only reasonable situation I can think of that would give reason to do away with PC football is if nobody wanted to play. As long as there are players who want to play (in addition to studying) and coaches who want to coach, keep the program.

I agree. Many of the kids they bring up there every year want to play but not do the school work. They play their year and end up not being eligible to play the next year so they leave taking football money with them when it could be given to someone else who tries to succeed at both. A lot of the money goes to out of state kids for the program which is understandable because out of state tuition is rediculous. One coach in particular that is no longer with the progam always used to say, "Men you are here to be football players, not brainiacs." I disagree with that, its not called "Student-Athlete" for nothing. You should be held responsible for your grades as well as your actions on and off the field. You can't do one without the other and shouldn't be allowed to no matter how good of a player an individual may be.
GRIZZ Wrote:. One coach in particular that is no longer with the progam always used to say, "Men you are here to be football players, not brainiacs." .

That is one of the most despicable comments I've heard. I hope that coach is no longer coaching. A real coach would care about his players getting an education. I would think that if you sign to play NAIA football you should try to get an education because in all likelyhood the pro contracts wont be coming your way after your college career is done.