Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Embarrassment at Osborne Elem.
This may be a middle school forum, but many students in Floyd County playing sports utilize the old Wheelwright Gym when playing games so bare with me.

Last night, McDowell Elementary's girls team played Osborne at the Wheelwright Gym. I find it appalling that the building apparently smelled like sewer, the visitors locker room was a mess and the worst part was that no coolers or drinks were available to the McDowell girls team. They were given flat-hot "pop" and the parents were told that Osborne had no coolers with gatorade or water for the visiting team on an evening with 90 plus degree temps in an enclosed building - windows won't open and again, no air circulation or air conditioning. Yet, Osborne's players come in with bottles of Gatorade in hand, ready for action.

I don't fault the facility for not having air conditioning - totally understandable due to its lack of use in the summer months and age.

But why weren't there better conditions for the visiting team? "No water" was told to the parents of the players. I find that amazing. Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

Yet I blame the McDowell coach for putting her girls team on the floor. There is simply no excuse for taking the court in conditions like that. At the very least, the coach could've gone and bought some bottled water for the team nearby at the grocery since Osborne would not extend the gesture.

McDowell's coach shouldn't have played Osborne and Osborne can do a better job at improving the playing conditions to the best of their ability.

I'm from Wheelwright. Everyone knows me from that area and I'm proud of where I was raised. I found it embarrassing to listen to the accounts of the game from McDowell parents this morning. We are "all" better than this.
Mullins Gym was like that in the MIddle of tyhe Summer they hosted a Jr. High tournament with no water or nothing nko coolers and it was 100+ outside and the gym had n oair conditioning and it was bad. We played 3 games. Won them all and it was blazing in the gym.