Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
North Hardin @Belfry 10/9
The big boys roll into Pond Creek Friday night.  Who ya got and why?

Belfry has to find a way to get stops and control the clock. I don’t think they win a track meet and if the front 7 can’t get some push, then it’s going to be a long night for the home team.
Belfry has never shied away from tough competition, and I guess that is why despite their many state titles under Coach Haywood, they have never had an undefeated season. Kudos to Belfry for scheduling this game. I watched the Frederick Douglass - North Hardin game on Prespins and was really impressed with North Hardin. I think the Trojans are going to be too much for the Pirates. Hopefully both teams come away from this game injury free.
(10-05-2020, 08:05 AM)Westside Wrote: Belfry has never shied away from tough competition, and I guess that is why despite their many state titles under Coach Haywood, they have never had an undefeated season.  Kudos to Belfry for scheduling this game.  I watched the Frederick Douglass - North Hardin game on Prespins and was really impressed with North Hardin.  I think the Trojans are going to be too much for the Pirates.  Hopefully both teams come away from this game injury free.
I pretty much agree with all this.  You would love to win, but showing you can at times compete with a team like this would be a big step.  Playing sound injury free football would be a big accomplishment for Friday night IMO.
[-] The following 1 user Likes bucslover68's post:
  • Westside
It can be argued North Hardin may have the best defense in the state outside of 6A in the city of Louisville.

Three straight shutouts and held Frederick Douglass to less than 20 points.

North Hardin's offense hasn't exactly looked very smooth, but they have the ability to break a big play at any time and Lavell Wright is steady as they go at RB.

Unfortunately Belfry is going to need Dixon to basically make a Mr. Football statement to even be in this thing late.
Good matchup - each team can exploite each others weekeness. NH has a strong presence on defence inside the box which is how you beat Belfry. Lunz will show what he is made of this week. If Belfry can get pressure on NH QB it changes things a lot. He's young with a cannon of an arm but does not do well at all under pressure. Both teams loaded with PTP'rs - this will be a good one to watch.

And...Yes you play teams like this to prepare for November. Belfry is a great example of this year in and year out just like LCA.
(10-05-2020, 11:33 AM)Tigerallamerican Wrote: Good matchup - each team can exploite each others weekeness. NH has a strong presence on defence inside the box which is how you beat Belfry. Lunz will show what he is made of this week. If Belfry can get pressure on NH QB it changes things a lot. He's young with a cannon of an arm but does not do well at all under pressure. Both teams loaded with PTP'rs - this will be a good one to watch.

And...Yes you play teams like this to prepare for November. Belfry is a great example of this year in and year out just like LCA.
Don't expect much to happen with the bolded.
Belfry is notorious for only rushing three against a team with any semblance of the spread offense. Belfry may send a blitzer or pinch the edges on occasion, but this is not their forte and even if it was they don't have a guy like Ray Horton who can eat up multiple blockers and open an uncontested blitz gap.

The bigger question will be how patient NH stays in their offense.

Belfry wants you to take chances downfield on lower percentage throws or to try to force something looking for the big play. Haywood will take one thing away that you like to do. The hope is if a team is impatient or stubborn that gives Belfry enough stops to be in the gam and win it.

If NH stays patient, pounds Wright between the tackles, and can hit short and intermediate passing they should be able to move the ball up and down the field in exchange for having much fewer possessions. If they turn it over forcing things or have some 3 and outs it gives Belfry a puncher's chance because then the Pirates can keep the game within reach and try to wear down the defense.

I just think NH has way too many guys with the ability to make a big play and way too good of talent at the LB/DB positions for Belfry to bust a big play.

I like the Trojans by 4 TD's.
[-] The following 1 user Likes EKUAlum05's post:
  • Tigerallamerican
(10-05-2020, 11:52 AM)EKUAlum05 Wrote:
(10-05-2020, 11:33 AM)Tigerallamerican Wrote: Good matchup - each team can exploite each others weekeness. NH has a strong presence on defence inside the box which is how you beat Belfry. Lunz will show what he is made of this week. If Belfry can get pressure on NH QB it changes things a lot. He's young with a cannon of an arm but does not do well at all under pressure. Both teams loaded with PTP'rs - this will be a good one to watch.

Belfry is notorious for only rushing three against a team with any semblance of the spread offense. Belfry may send a blitzer or pinch the edges on occasion, but this is not their forte and even if it was they don't have a guy like Ray Horton who can eat up multiple blockers and open an uncontested blitz gap.

Belfry wants you to take chances downfield on lower percentage throws or to try to force something looking for the big play. Haywood will take one thing away that you like to do. The hope is if a team is impatient or stubborn that gives Belfry enough stops to be in the gam and win it.

If NH stays patient, pounds Wright between the tackles, and can hit short and intermediate passing they should be able to move the ball up and down the field in exchange for having much fewer possessions. If they turn it over forcing things or have some 3 and outs it gives Belfry a puncher's chance because then the Pirates can keep the game within reach and try to wear down the defense.

I just think NH has way too many guys with the ability to make a big play and way too good of talent at the LB/DB positions for Belfry to bust a big play.

EKU I would have liked to seen this match-up when horton,bentley where together I think that would have been a whale of a game, now as we speak for this team going to be a huge hill to climb for the pirates this Friday but at least they get the chance plus the boys are getting to play which in my book is a win win situation anyway you look at it........Go Big Red
(10-05-2020, 03:39 PM)PirateNation71 Wrote:

EKU I would have liked to seen this match-up when horton,bentley where together I think that would have been a whale of a game, now as we speak for this team going to be a huge hill to climb for the pirates this Friday but at least they get the chance plus the boys are getting to play which in my book is a win win situation anyway you look at it........Go Big Red
There were not many teams in KY not named Trinity or Male I wouldn't have thought the 2015 and 2016 teams would have had at least a puncher's chance against when healthy.

We have never seen a Belfry team that dominant on both Lines of Scrimmage and probably never again will.

The only sad thing is due to injury cutting Horton's career short, I am not sure people will fairly do him justice for how good he was at DT in terms of his legacy. I re-watched the 2016 State Title game back at the start of COVID and Central was literally triple teaming him and holding him at the same time and he still disrupted that game.

Now just imagine if Mr. Dixon was added to those teams as the primary HB along with Hunter/Catron/Willis at the other HB, Wellman/Fletcher at FB.
(10-05-2020, 04:26 PM)EKUAlum05 Wrote:
(10-05-2020, 03:39 PM)PirateNation71 Wrote:

There were not many teams in KY not named Trinity or Male I wouldn't have thought the 2015 and 2016 teams would have had at least a puncher's chance against when healthy.

We have never seen a Belfry team that dominant on both Lines of Scrimmage and probably never again will.

The only sad thing is due to injury cutting Horton's career short, I am not sure people will fairly do him justice for how good he was at DT in terms of his legacy. I re-watched the 2016 State Title game back at the start of COVID and Central was literally triple teaming him and holding him at the same time and he still disrupted that game.

Now just imagine if Mr. Dixon was added to those teams as the primary HB along with Hunter/Catron/Willis at the other HB, Wellman/Fletcher at FB.

Horton was a monster and I think if injury hadn’t got him we might possibly be seeing him suit up on Sunday, I always thought and said that boy if he stays with it and don’t get injured he will go pro and I honestly think he would have the guy had all the tools to be there. Yes, I couldn’t imagine Dixen being added to that team back then only problem with that is you all ready had a stable of positions but it would have been interesting to see for sure........
Not going to sugar coat my prediction and yes I am a belfry fan.

North Hardin 49
Belfry 13
Screw it I'm pulling for belfry lol
Belfry 19+

North Hardin is overrated.
North Hardin has to realize they are coming to pond Creek and it's belfry's homecoming.
I think Dixon rb from belfry shows why he is 9ne of the top backs in the state and belfry controls the clock and comes away with a hard fought win.
Belfry-20
North hardin-14
Pooooond crrreeeeek baby! Woooo!

(10-08-2020, 12:13 AM)Oledad92 Wrote: Pooooond crrreeeeek baby! Woooo!
Come Friday north harden gonna learn!
Belfry is in trouble in this one.
Real match-up this week is the belfry big boys and the exciting Dixon in the backfield vs arguably the best defense in the state. If the pirates can put up a good amount of points, the rest of 3A should pack up the shoulder pads.
Just hoping Belfry comes thru this game injury free. For those who are thinking North Hardin is overrated, overhyped, etc, etc...….I WISH you were correct.....but....they appear to be the real deal on both sides of the ball. Without Mounts at LB.....Belfry's defense will be hard pressed to get off the field. Additionally, while Dixon is a BEAST....Belfry has to establish the fullback....which has been a struggle.

North Hardin is heavily favored and deservedly so. If Belfry were to win...it would be a monumental upset.
[-] The following 1 user Likes OutlawJoseyWales's post:
  • BoondockSaint
John Hardin hung within 19 points, surely Belfry can at least match that. The 28-36 point loss projections puzzle me, possibly its a matchup problem. If correct but I'd be shocked.
I absolutely want Belfry to win, but I think North Hardin wins by 21.
Pond crreeeeeekk! Baby! Wooooooooo!!!!

North harden gonna learn today!
If Mounts isn't playing D I still think Belfry wins, but it will be much closer
NH may very well be the real deal. But they better be if they plan to roll into Belfry and win. Belfry plays a different game then they are used to seeing I’m sure. Belfry may not stack up with them athlete wise but they will when it comes to discipline and assignment football. It’s a toss up to me and I wouldn’t be surprised if Belfry wins! Good Luck Pirates.
Belfry is a tough house to go in and come out winners. If NH thinks they are going to walk in and blow them out of the water I got news for ya. I know belfry, & they will not lay down. #Challengeaccepted