Poll: Who Will Win the 15th?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Shelby Valley
31.58%
Pikeville
17.11%
Paintsville
26.32%
Other
25.00%
* You voted for this item.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who Will Win the 15th Next Year?
bball fan Wrote:Pikeville fell 4 baskets short of winning the region last season with some very young kids. Something tells me that the Pikeville coaching staff will find a way to get those 4 baskets this season.

Actually, Pikeville had a more experienced team than Valley last year, who started 3 freshman and no seniors. So even though their team will have gained valuable experience, so will Valley's.

Valley was just a little better than Pikeville last year, and since they return their top 6 players intact, I see no reason not to think that Valley will start the year still being a little bit better. Not saying the Panthers can't beat the Wildcats, and I certainly don't see Valley sweeping 4 games from Pikeville like they did last year. But I still say they have to get a slight edge.
SHELBY VALLEY WILDCATS - 2010 KHSAA STATE CHAMPIONS

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
I think that Shelby Valley will take it this year. Paintsville has got the talent, but has never been able to produce the kind of results everyone had predicted since they were in middle school.
i am from sv so i will go with them. but it will come down to who wants it bad enough and who's game is on that night.
Just hope the Valley ball players that are playin football dont get injured cause basketball season starts right after football. I think they are
Logan Bryant
Jonah Justice
Tanner Tackett
Lucas Simpson
and they are some more, but I can't remember to good right now!!
NYY10 Wrote:Just hope the Valley ball players that are playin football dont get injured cause basketball season starts right after football. I think they are
Logan Bryant
Jonah Justice
Tanner Tackett
Lucas Simpson

I hope none of the area basketball players that also play football get injured. The best b-ball games will happen if every team is at full strength...

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
NYY10 Wrote:Just hope the Valley ball players that are playin football dont get injured cause basketball season starts right after football. I think they are
Logan Bryant
Jonah Justice
Tanner Tackett
Lucas Simpson
This is a little off topic, but even though I can understand no one wanting injuries, it seems that at SV again it is always basketball first and everything thing else is a distant 2nd. Football are expected to stay healthy and it is always on their mind, that if something were to happen that puts them in risk of missing the basketball season. Not a good mindset to play with. Not saying this holds true for all but I'm sure it does for some.
Panther Thunder Wrote:This is a little off topic, but even though I can understand no one wanting injuries, it seems that at SV again it is always basketball first and everything thing else is a distant 2nd. Football are expected to stay healthy and it is always on their mind, that if something were to happen that puts them in risk of missing the basketball season. Not a good mindset to play with. Not saying this holds true for all but I'm sure it does for some.

I don't think NYY's comment shows any kind of favortism toward basketball. I am a fan of both H.S. football and basketball, and I don't think it is any kind of slight to football to hope that none of the 2-sport stars get hurt. We want all the players healthy, for all sports.

For Pikeville, don't you hope Harmon and the Honakers stay healthy for b-ball season too?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
More Cowbell Wrote:I don't think NYY's comment shows any kind of favortism toward basketball. I am a fan of both H.S. football and basketball, and I don't think it is any kind of slight to football to hope that none of the 2-sport stars get hurt. We want all the players healthy, for all sports.

For Pikeville, don't you hope Harmon and the Honakers stay healthy for b-ball season too?
Yes we do, but it just seems that Valley is more conscious of it than other non-basketball schools.
I will say that when I am watching a H.S. football game, I have never sat there and wondered how some guy will do during baketball season, or whether he will be healthy for the start of practice. I don't even think about it. But since this is a basketball thread, I thought it was reasonable for someone to hope that all the b-ball guys are healthy and able to play for their team this year.

And yes, b-ball always comes first at Valley, just like football comes first at other schools. It's just the way it is. Big Grin

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
More Cowbell Wrote:I will say that when I am watching a H.S. football game, I have never sat there and wondered how some guy will do during baketball season, or whether he will be healthy for the start of practice. I don't even think about it. But since this is a basketball thread, I thought it was reasonable for someone to hope that all the b-ball guys are healthy and able to play for their team this year.

And yes, b-ball always comes first at Valley, just like football comes first at other schools. It's just the way it is. Big Grin

I did hear that Valley handled Pike Central pretty well. Also, they will most likely make it to the playoffs. But yeah you are right Valley will always be about the basketball!
i hear that sv's football team is expected to do great things this year. when a sport starts doing well in a school they get more attention and support. so maybe they won't be all about basketball if they also start having a good football team. expecially if alot of the bball team is playing football. those parents that are so supportive of their kids in basketball will be equally supportive in football. if a team is doing well they will get the support.
i think that shelby valley will win again this year...they have alot of talent returniong this year and i wish them them best of luck...
Valley or Pikeville

IMO they are the easy favorites....but honestly.. anything can happen in this region...
SVLadiesFan Wrote:i hear that sv's football team is expected to do great things this year. when a sport starts doing well in a school they get more attention and support. so maybe they won't be all about basketball if they also start having a good football team. expecially if alot of the bball team is playing football. those parents that are so supportive of their kids in basketball will be equally supportive in football. if a team is doing well they will get the support.

Valley is starting to move into other things than basketball... the basketball players always stayed away from playing football and other sports in fear of BOTH coaches' repercussions.

now it seems like the administration is paying more attention to sports other than basketball.. and maybe players are more comfortable in player multiple sports... i know several basketball players that were tremendous football players.. but didnt play in fear of torment from both coaches.

that doesnt mean valley will have an awesome football team.. but they are definitely gaining attention and some serious momentum...

but back on topic.... valley and pikeville have the vast majority of their players returning.... valley prevailed 4 for 4 last year.. and as always.. their games will be an awesome rivalry to watch
i think ~valley~ has a good shot at a repeat but pikeville and paintsville are right behind... good luck to valley though... go elisha...
LadyCat2007 Wrote:i think ~valley~ has a good shot at a repeat but pikeville and paintsville are right behind... good luck to valley though... go elisha...

Lol, I agree with everything you said, but you say go elisha, what about his brother Jonah?
Scotty doesn't know Wrote:I did hear that Valley handled Pike Central pretty well. Also, they will most likely make it to the playoffs. But yeah you are right Valley will always be about the basketball!

Valley's football team will automatically make the playoffs, as they are in a 4-team district. Doesn't matter if they go winless.

Now, back to basketball discussion!! Big Grin

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Interesting poll results now. A few days ago I asked where the Tiger backers were, and I guess I got my answer! Paintsville is now approaching Shelby Valley at the top of the poll, and has left Pikeville back in a distant third place. Also, there are now 12 "Other" votes.

I still would have to put Pikeville second, but I guess lots of people from Johnson County would disagree. Wink Let's keep the discussion going!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
I think Magoffin will have have a great ball team. They will come out and surprise alot of people.
Hoopsfan Wrote:I think Magoffin will have have a great ball team. They will come out and surprise alot of people.

Are you picking them to win?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
More Cowbell Wrote:Valley's football team will automatically make the playoffs, as they are in a 4-team district. Doesn't matter if they go winless.

Now, back to basketball discussion!! Big Grin

Holy crap I forgot about that! LOL Yes resume the basketball discussion.
ComeFlyWithMe Wrote:Lol, I agree with everything you said, but you say go elisha, what about his brother Jonah?

♥him too... they're both my favorites... i think they have the most heart into the game... well then go elisha AND jonah♥
One interesting point...

Paintsville will likely have to beat both Pikeville and Shelby Valley (barring any upsets) to advance to state, since the two 59th teams will be on opposite ends of the bracket. One of those two teams, however, will only have to beat one of the other three top contenders in order to win region. So the regional draw may have a big effect on who wins the tourney.

The draw can really put you behind the 8-ball. Think of last year, when Belfry drew Paintsville in the first round, played Valley in the second, and would've had to play Pikeville if they had advanced to the final.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
I agree with ya. The draw could determine who goes to the big dance. I personally think the loser of the 59th district will have the upper hand in the regions. Paintsville will most likely win their district. That would have the winner of the 59th going against Paintsville to make it to the finals. Last year, Pikeville had the best draw of anyone in the tourney. With Shelby Valley, Paintsville, and Belfry in the other bracket was a big help to them. The same thing could happen this year also.
It's not the size of the dog in the fight. It is the size of the fight in the dog.
BasketBallonlyfan Wrote:I agree with ya. The draw could determine who goes to the big dance. I personally think the loser of the 59th district will have the upper hand in the regions. Paintsville will most likely win their district. That would have the winner of the 59th going against Paintsville to make it to the finals. Last year, Pikeville had the best draw of anyone in the tourney. With Shelby Valley, Paintsville, and Belfry in the other bracket was a big help to them. The same thing could happen this year also.

Actually, if you assume Paintsville wins their district, then the winner of the 59th has a better chance of not being on the same side as the Tigers. Look at it this way: there will be one other district winner on the same side as the 59th champ, which leaves a 1 in 3 chance it will be the 57th. Conversely, there is a 2 in 3 chance they go to other side of the bracket with the 59th runner-up, and there would even be a chance that they might play each other in the first round.

Of course, if Paintsville slips up and comes out of the 57th as runner-up, like they did last year, then the 59th runner-up suddenly has the better chance of avoiding them.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Magoffin is going to have some touch players! They may just have 1 starter Tyler Hunley returning but he is a great player and will do a great job running the team and they are going to have some great players stepping up.