Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2020 Class 1a Predictions
1. Paintsville
2. Hazard
3. Pikeville
4. Raceland
lol
I think Paintsville returns the most experience. But as the case for most Single A teams, Paintsville has 2 kids that if they were to get injured then their season could be in shambles. If Raceland can develop some of their younger talent, then I give Raceland a shot at winning that district. I like their depth and their staff as a whole more than Paintsville's. Paintsville to me in the past has overused their studs thru the season and they seem beat up in the playoffs. Looking back, I'm not sure Kent ever was fully healthy thru those 2016 playoffs because of the amount of carries he had, Kash was injured in 2015, JW Phelps was banged up last year by that state title game, Hyden has had injuries because hes had to carry 20 times a game. Injuries happen, I get it but they seem to ride their guys a little much but maybe they have to in order to win. Hazard lost some solid players last year but had quite a few young kids playing so they should be just fine, and to me they actually gave Pikeville their best game of the playoffs for a half. I'm curious to see who steps up for Hazard to fill some very key roles for that offense and defense, also curious to see how this new staff implements their offensive and defensive philosophies. Then you have Pikeville who just lost a large senior class that pretty much ran thru Single A last year. Lots of solid players waiting in the wings but they'll surely be growing pains. Those young guys got to practice everyday against some of the best that have ever played at Pikeville so that's a big plus to me. Also Pikeville has an excellent staff who's been together for a while now. I look for Pikeville to be fresh and firing on all cylinders by Nov. I like their chances for a return trip to Kroger. That's my take, I just hope there's football so I can watch how it plays out. should be a fun year in Single A in the East.
Hazard is going to have to find some offensive playmakers to be in the 1A hunt IMO. They had no offensive TDs in 8 quarters vs. Pikeville 1st team last year. Plus they have to replace Fletcher, Campbell and their big back Collins.
In Hazards defense, Pikeville's D was very very good. Very experienced and very fast. I agree Hazard lost some very good players too, but the Pikeville D will not be the same D this year. This Pikeville team can be very good defensively too in time. They will be built a little differently in my opinion. Gonna be much bigger and stronger up front, but you're gonna be breaking in a new linebacking corp except for Collins, he was essentially a 5th starting LB and the backend of the defensive wont have the same speed. The well's not dry by any means. Watch Sully work his magic by November. Gonna be fun to watch these boys transform by playoff time.
Hazard returns their leading receiver in Andrew Ford. They return their second leading tackler in Zane Deaton and i’ve seen what Tyson Turner can do with the ball when they put it in his hands. The main reason why they didn’t score is because the OC kept calling the same plays over and over again. I’m telling you this hazard team can be dangerous come playoff time.
You’re right. Had Hazard had a different OC they would’ve scored at will. I don’t doubt that Hazard can be very dangerous but THE MAIN reason that Hazard didn’t score was Pikeville’s Defense.
Pikeville
pikeville
pikeville
pikeville
Paintsville
Pikeville
Might be a rematch state championship
KCD
Hazard
Williamsburg
Raceland (if they can develop some younger players) they really struggled with running the ball compared to other years
No one out west is cracking the top 5. With seeding help, its all east again.
Oleballcoach Wrote:Paintsville
Pikeville
Might be a rematch state championship
KCD
Hazard
Williamsburg
Raceland (if they can develop some younger players) they really struggled with running the ball compared to other years

Paintsville improve by 50+ points since their last game without one practice?

Mine:

Pikeville

Paintsville
NCC
Williamsburg

Hazard
Campbellsville
Crittenden
Raceland
KCD
Holy Cross
bball_fan Wrote:No one out west is cracking the top 5. With seeding help, its all east again.

Don't sleep on Crittenden County.

Return everyone and their cousin from a Regional finals team. Noone in 1A returns more experience and key players than Crittenden. Even though they lose their QB they still have another kid who played a ton himself.

The question is how much ground does that gain them? I don't think they were within 3-4 TD's of Paintsville or Raceland, let alone Pikeville. That's a big gap to make up.
No one better not sleep on Frankfort either!!! They return a very good team as well.
It all rolls through Pikeville. They lose alot but have kids waiting for their shot. Paintsville returns a solid bunch but their reserves will be thinner and wont have as much depth. Same can be said for Raceland in the depth department. I expect Racelands run game to be improved from last year, which was thw first time they havent had a 1000+ yard rusher in idk how long. The Raceland district leans toward Paintsville as the favorite, but it will be another battle. Im just glad we are talking about having a season though lol
Pikeville and then everybody else just like last year. Do I think they put a running clock on everyone in playoffs? No. However, they’re still probably 2 TDS better than anyone in single A. Anyone 2 string for them last year would have started at any other school. That’s just how good that bunch last year was.

Hazard is in the process of growing pains. They have a kid here and there that can be a difference maker, up front they’re bigger than most but Paintsville and Pikeville have their number in that department. Hazard also desperately needs to develop an accurate passer. Pikeville games could have been much better if they could find a way to spread the ball around. Fletcher played most of the season on a bum foot. Never could really get Collins going. Dixon and company loved to ride one or two horses. Most years that will not get it done if you want to make a deep run. Also really wish they could have held on to the Hunter kid that’s an up and coming Freshman this year. Could have been your next Fletcher at LB. But drank the kool-aid and off to Perry they go.

Paintsville very well may be your team that’s closest to Pikeville. Dangerous offensive weapons and Coach C knows how to disguise coverages. Unfortunately for them last year Rains in the state championship game kept the D honest and they couldn’t commit to playing that zone and Pikevilles speed and perfect route running burned them. Not to mention possibly the best defense we’ve seen in Single A since the 90s.
jetpilot Wrote:Paintsville improve by 50+ points since their last game without one practice?

Mine:

Pikeville

Paintsville
NCC
Williamsburg

Hazard
Campbellsville
Crittenden
Raceland
KCD
Holy Cross

Pikeville also lost players that you just don’t have walking down the streets every day
Scotty_Bronson Wrote:It all rolls through Pikeville. They lose alot but have kids waiting for their shot. Paintsville returns a solid bunch but their reserves will be thinner and wont have as much depth. Same can be said for Raceland in the depth department. I expect Racelands run game to be improved from last year, which was thw first time they havent had a 1000+ yard rusher in idk how long. The Raceland district leans toward Paintsville as the favorite, but it will be another battle. Im just glad we are talking about having a season though lol

I think we will take some bumps this year simply because of a lack of experience at a lot of important positions. We have a strong young group coming through the ranks but I think we are a still year away from making a serious playoff run.
Do not overlook Raceland. If the lineman live up to there potential this year they will be a really tough out come playoff time. May struggle early but the schedule will prepare them for a deep run. Belfry,Pikeville,Russell,Ashland,Paintsville . all at home This team will shock people. QB is healthy and not always wanting to throw the deep ball will be a good thing. Plus a loaded Freshman group who dominated everyone on this end except JC.
Ramfan02 Wrote:Do not overlook Raceland. If the lineman live up to there potential this year they will be a really tough out come playoff time. May struggle early but the schedule will prepare them for a deep run. Belfry,Pikeville,Russell,Ashland,Paintsville . all at home This team will shock people. QB is healthy and not always wanting to throw the deep ball will be a good thing. Plus a loaded Freshman group who dominated everyone on this end except JC.

I agree with all of those points. We have potential to be a very tough team. My only real concern is our youth and seeing how some of the younger guys step up in key positions. The thing I will like the most about this team is having Jake leading the reigns as a senior. I think he will step up as the clear leader of this team and that has been something that has been missing for a few seasons.
All we can hope is that Pikeville comes back to the field in a significant way. Paintsville returns a good core of leadership and playmakers but if Pikeville is close to what they were last year...
Jake is a good leader and so are some of those other seniors. The Junior group has a lot of good leaders in it as well. So I agree the past few years have not had that. I think that will be a huge difference this season
I’ll take Paintsville and Pikeville and you all can have the field.

Hopefully making it to the finals helps Paintsville if they can make it back. Pikeville was all world and had been there before and it showed.
I agree with Crittenden County and I think Fulton County can be a strong team. Fulton County only lost Kimble, and his replacement is a very good runner and can have a similar season as well as their QB could be an overall upgrade as well. Comes down to their work, as they are talented, but their numbers hurt them come the fourth quarter.
That’s a solid bet 2000, I agree. For me I’d put Paintsville #1 right now. Pikeville boys got some major work to do. Paintsville wins matchup 1, as for matchup #2 if that happens.... Hope it happens, I’ll say that much
I honestly don’t know much about Crittendon or Fulton, wish them the best of luck and hope this season happens so we can all figure it out.
Pikeville vs the field
Pikeville undoubtedly has holes to fill and questions to answer. Particularly on the defensive side of the ball. Are they looking at an undefeated season again? Probably not. With that said, here’s what Pikeville has going for it:
1. The reigning COY in an all classes just scratching the surface of his prime.
2. A top 5 staff in the state top to bottom
3. Issac McNamee under center

Now I’m not one to issue bold predictions. I’ve got too much respect for Paintsville, Hazard, Raceland and the other contenders. Each of which CAN and WILL beat us if we don’t show up to play. I will ask this question. Is there any Coach in 1A that wouldn’t be willing to trade rosters with Pikeville at this point?
Ramfan02 Wrote:Do not overlook Raceland. If the lineman live up to there potential this year they will be a really tough out come playoff time. May struggle early but the schedule will prepare them for a deep run. Belfry,Pikeville,Russell,Ashland,Paintsville . all at home This team will shock people. QB is healthy and not always wanting to throw the deep ball will be a good thing. Plus a loaded Freshman group who dominated everyone on this end except JC.

Raceland will be done 2nd Round of the Playoffs. They won’t get pass Paintsville
Paintsvilles 25 man roster better have more depth than last year they are one injury away from being irrelevant. Raceland will have a 60 man roster. Come playoff time your big guys will be exhausted from playing both ways all the time.
Micro-Brew Wrote:That’s a solid bet 2000, I agree. For me I’d put Paintsville #1 right now. Pikeville boys got some major work to do. Paintsville wins matchup 1, as for matchup #2 if that happens.... Hope it happens, I’ll say that much

Paintsville doesn't win matchup #1, bring a sack of money
  • 1(current)
  • Next