Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2020 Preseason Top Quarterbacks
Who do you think will be the top qbs this season?
Don't sleep on Belfry QB Brett Coleman. Brett don't put up big passing numbers, actually he rarely puts up any passing numbers at all, but when he does there usually big ones.

I know your post is primarily for QB's that post these kind of numbers; passing yards, passing TD's, completion pct., etc. And that's understandable. But I just wanted to throw the Pirate QB's name out there. Brett's a helluva athlete. He's already committed to play at Miami, OH, not as a QB but as a defensive player.

If this post was meant for just all around athletic QB's, minus the big passing numbers, then I think Brett would be close to the top. He runs Belfry's offensive almost to perfection. And he never really wanted to play QB. He was pretty much "volun-told" into the role, Lol! You can see just how important he was to the 2019 Pirate team though when we had to start the season without him last year. We had a rough start and really didn't get going until he got a game or two under his belt. He's not your typical QB. He's pretty much just a big, strong, athletic, and tough LB/DB playing Quarterback.

Brett's not going to show up on to many (if any) top Quarterback lists. He's just not the traditional QB. I just wanted to throw his name out there and give him some love. But I will say this, teams better not think that #10 CAN'T throw the football for completions. Because if they do, then their liable to pay dearly for it.
Somerset's Kaiya Sheron is rated as the #1 QB prospect in the state by all of the recruiting services. Committed to UK back in March. Big, strong arm and good enough speed to scramble and make big plays with his legs as well. Somerset's passing game doesn't attack the middle of the field often, but Kaiya is one of the best QBs I've seen at the high school level at throwing passes outside the numbers and he's very accurate with the deep ball.

Kaiya Sheron Junior Season Highlights
UK1fan Wrote:https://twitter.com/NateInSports/status/...46368?s=09

List doesn’t have McElroy from trinity, doesn’t have North Hardins actual starting QB. Has kids on there that don’t even play QB. Didn’t think it was a very good list IMO.
The kid from Pikeville, Isaac McNamee, is a stud! How he's not on a list of top QB's in KY is a mystery to me. He's just going into his Junior year of high school and has already lead Pikeville to an undefeated State Championship season and picked up an offer from Marshall University. Miami, OH, Boston College, and EKU are all showing interest as well. Good luck to the rest of 1A for the next two years while this kid is under center for the Panthers.
#55PirateFan Wrote:The kid from Pikeville, Isaac McNamee, is a stud! How he's not on a list of top QB's in KY is a mystery to me. He's just going into his Junior year of high school and has already lead Pikeville to an undefeated State Championship season and picked up an offer from Marshall University. Miami, OH, Boston College, and EKU are all showing interest as well. Good luck to the rest of 1A for the next two years while this kid is under center for the Panthers.

I watched him in the State championship game, 55. Your right, this young man is big and stout and was the field commander for that Belfry O. I noticed when he chose to throw the ball , he could sling it. Wasn't much need to as the stable of RB Belfry has took care of business. As for Isaac McNamee, i truly believe the kid is just getting started. He grew up fast last season. Looking forward to seeing him playing on Saturdays, but will thoroughly enjoy watching him play the next two seasons. 55, i'm like you, i don't understand why he's not on some top QB list in KY. is hard to understand. I did see a list on that other football website that had him listed at # 5. On another list on the same site, he was listed at #10 on that one.
Nick Broyles- franklin county
That QB hitlist site isn't the authority. They move up kids that pay to be premium members for their service and base a score off watching a few mins of hudl and maxpreps stats.. (which maxpreps is rarely accurate). Tons of great QB's in Kentucky! All deserve to be noticed for what they've done on the field.
#55PirateFan Wrote:The kid from Pikeville, Isaac McNamee, is a stud! How he's not on a list of top QB's in KY is a mystery to me. He's just going into his Junior year of high school and has already lead Pikeville to an undefeated State Championship season and picked up an offer from Marshall University. Miami, OH, Boston College, and EKU are all showing interest as well. Good luck to the rest of 1A for the next two years while this kid is under center for the Panthers.

He is listed as the #3 QB in the class 2022.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Jarons Wrote:He is listed as the #3 QB in the class 2022.

Thank you for correcting me. I did not see him. But, your right, he is there. Maybe next time I'll pay a little more attention, Lol.
UK1fan Wrote:https://twitter.com/NateInSports/status/...46368?s=09

Rankings have been updated since my tweet.

* Sheron goes from 2 to No. 1 2021 class.
* McElroy goes from unranked to No. 5 in 2021.
* Wimberly goes from unranked to No. 2 in 2022.

Year-By-Year Rankings:
2021: https://qbhitlist.com/qbhl-top-150/?clas...=KY&player
2022: https://qbhitlist.com/qbhl-top-150/?clas...=KY&player
2023: https://qbhitlist.com/qbhl-top-150/?clas...=KY&player
2024: https://qbhitlist.com/qbhl-top-150/?clas...=KY&player
A little confused, Corbin has 2 QBs listed so one of them won’t start, but still on the list?
55RedDog Wrote:A little confused, Corbin has 2 QBs listed so one of them won’t start, but still on the list?

It's by grade, not overall.

Somerset and North Hardin also have 2 QBs listed each.
55RedDog Wrote:A little confused, Corbin has 2 QBs listed so one of them won’t start, but still on the list?

A few schools have more than one QB on this list. Seems to be players getting attention at the high school level in the upper classes, and kids who went far in middle school in the lower classes.

EKU offered, not just interested.
governmentcheese Wrote:that qb hitlist site isn't the authority. They move up kids that pay to be premium members for their service and base a score off watching a few mins of hudl and maxpreps stats.. (which maxpreps is rarely accurate). Tons of great qb's in kentucky! All deserve to be noticed for what they've done on the field.

saw a kid show up on the qb hitlist list about a year ago that didnt pay membership. He was #1 in the state in his class. Then his buddies all paid memberships and magically listed above him. The kid played over all them on an allstar team one time or another. Lol
Great to see Fulton Co Pilot, Sophomore Max Gibbs, Andy's cousin, is getting some notice. Max is gonna be a stud. Hope his mom and dad move to Mayfield
The Freshman qb for SK passed for 1747 yards 14 tds and ran for 682 yards 6 tds.
If he stays healthy, Issac McNamee will be the best QB to come out of the Mountains since Tim Couch by the time he graduates....
HAIL PIKEVILLE! Wrote:If he stays healthy, Issac McNamee will be the best QB to come out of the Mountains since Tim Couch by the time he graduates....

Totally agree. Imo, the young man is heading into greatness starting this season like we've not seen since Tim couch.
Gus McCrae Wrote:Totally agree. Imo, the young man is heading into greatness starting this season like we've not seen since Tim couch.

Couch is rarified air. A lot of pressure on the kid if his name is being tossed around with Couch.
OutlawJoseyWales Wrote:Couch is rarified air. A lot of pressure on the kid if his name is being tossed around with Couch.

SINCE Couch isn't comparing him TO Couch. There isn't any pressure on the kid, and even if there was he would handle it fine. I think a good comparison is Tanner Morgan, who played for Hazard a few years ago and became a starting QB in the Big 12.
jetpilot Wrote:SINCE Couch isn't comparing him TO Couch. There isn't any pressure on the kid, and even if there was he would handle it fine. I think a good comparison is Tanner Morgan, who played for Hazard a few years ago and became a starting QB in the Big 12.

Morgan has done some good things. Back to the Couch comment. He’s in a category all by himself at this point.
OutlawJoseyWales Wrote:Morgan has done some good things. Back to the Couch comment. He’s in a category all by himself at this point.

No doubt.
What Power 5, or for that matter FBS Quarterbacks have came from EKY since Couch?

Tanner Morgan as mentioned (kind of), he went back to Ryle before going to WMU and then Power 5 Michigan.

I am even struggling to come up with any names that came from East of I-75 period. Dustin Grutza from Mason County went to UC.

Kash Daniel played QB at Paintsville but obviously was not recruited for the Offensive side of the ball.

Dante Wright from Lawrence County went to Miami-OH but not on the Offensive side.

Jason Michaels and Justin Haddix enjoyed success at WKU as QB's but not on the FBS level.

I think the statement of the most greatness since Couch is a fair statement all things considered.

Now if you want to consider Somerset/Pulaski County as EKY then you can debate a little with the accolades Riley Hall had and what Kaiya Sheron is doing now obviously.
Tanner Morgan is Minnesota but definitely agree with your post.
OutlawJoseyWales Wrote:Couch is rarified air. A lot of pressure on the kid if his name is being tossed around with Couch.

I'm sure no one fan in the Pikeville community would put any pressure on this young man..........i know i certainly wouldn't. I just see some comparisons between the two and with all the talent he has and a strong offensive line this season, greatness for him is within reach. Jmo.
Belfry fans will know what game this was but I got to stand on the sideline of a Belfry/Leslie Co. game across from the grandstand back in the day. Belfry was creaming Couch on every play lol and intercepted him 3 or 4 times in the game and sacked him several times and was really hitting him hard on every play. Couch walked right by us going into the locker room and had his helmet off. He had blood trickling from his nose and mouth I swear. Then he came back out in the 2nd half and if I remember right Leslie Co. won. The point is I don't think people realize how tough a player he was. He took a physical beating against Belfry that night and I don't think it even fazed him.
Gus McCrae Wrote:I'm sure no one fan in the Pikeville community would put any pressure on this young man..........i know i certainly wouldn't. I just see some comparisons between the two and with all the talent he has and a strong offensive line this season, greatness for him is within reach. Jmo.

Oh, no doubt about his talent. Very strong player. His future is very bright.