Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is Mackanin Good Enough to be Reds Manager?
Reds Interim Manager Pete Mackanin is currently 20-16 as manager. Has he earned the right to stay-on for next season?

The Reds have been rumored to be interested in the combo of Cardinals GM Walt Jocketty and manager Tony LaRussa, who are in the last years of their contracts and have connections with Reds owner Bob Castellini, who used to be part of the minority ownership of the Cardinals.

According to today's Cincinnati Enquirer, former Arizona manager Bob Brenly, now working as a Chicago Cubs television analyst, said he has not heard from anyone from the Reds about their managerial opening - but says he's interested. Brenly is an Ohio native and has openly expressed interest in the job since day 1. http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a...708150347/

Also, Cincinnati Sports Radio 1360 AM reported earlier this week that Joe Girardi was in Cincinnati over the weekend, visiting with old pal and former Yankees teammate Paul O'Neil. They reportedly played golf and Girardi got a "feel" for the community. However, Girardi didn't meet with any Reds officials according to the reports and speculation.
Any of those managers would be excellent choices, Brenly and Larussa have a WS Championship to show for, and Girardi came very close to getting the Marlins into the postseason last year, so which ever gets hired the Reds will be getting a great one.
Out of the bunch, if I had my choice, the ONLY choice would be Joe Girardi..JG is a GREAT manager, works great and is very respected by young players and veterans alike, which is what Cincy needs...I just dont like Tony LaRussa. Period. Yeah the guy can manage, but is just a bastard, lol..Id love to see Girardi in a Reds uni next year..unless my Pirates make a run after him, lol...
I don't like Brenly. He always seems to cause arm trouble on his bullpen due to overuse. If he can't handle the D-Backs pen, there's no way he's ready for what we have.
Narron went .500 during his half -a-season. I wonder what exactly would be the key percentage for Krivsky to considering hiring him back. Anyways, I am in full support for Girardi. Regardless of the season's turnout.
i think he is doing a fine job the reds are only 9.5 games back as long as he don't send Weathers out to close games he will be fine bring Burton.
Scotty doesn't know Wrote:Narron went .500 during his half -a-season. I wonder what exactly would be the key percentage for Krivsky to considering hiring him back.

Narron was not Billy Martin so I don't see Narron ever coming back with the Reds in any capacity.

I don't think you can rule out Mackanin at this point. 21-16 at this point in the season. The team responds to him, but Mackanin really has nothing to lose, so he can manage pretty freely; like drawing the CF in to have 5 infielders during a play several weeks ago. Smile

I'm not a fan of LaRussa either. But it's interesting because the Reds only made the "obvious" trade of Lohse and didn't try to restructure the ballclub by trading Dunn. If they had traded Dunn, that would've changed the whole complection of the team. Krivsky wasn't allowed or chose not to do so. Maybe his job isn't as safe as many believe, although, Castelini made a public statement last week that Krivsky's job was safe.
jammin' jamey Wrote:Narron was not Billy Martin so I don't see Narron ever coming back with the Reds in any capacity.

I don't think you can rule out Mackanin at this point. 21-16 at this point in the season. The team responds to him, but Mackanin really has nothing to lose, so he can manage pretty freely; like drawing the CF in to have 5 infielders during a play several weeks ago. Smile

I'm not a fan of LaRussa either. But it's interesting because the Reds only made the "obvious" trade of Lohse and didn't try to restructure the ballclub by trading Dunn. If they had traded Dunn, that would've changed the whole complection of the team. Krivsky wasn't allowed or chose not to do so. Maybe his job isn't as safe as many believe, although, Castelini made a public statement last week that Krivsky's job was safe.

OH No man. I did not mean hiring Narron back! I am sorry about that. I meant I wonder what percentage Pete Mackanin would have to have before Krivsky considered hiring HIM back. I am sorry about that man!
Scotty doesn't know Wrote:OH No man. I did not mean hiring Narron back! I am sorry about that. I meant I wonder what percentage Pete Mackanin would have to have before Krivsky considered hiring HIM back. I am sorry about that man!

I was wondering, "Jeez Scotty you really don't know do you?" Smile

That's cool. :Thumbs:
jammin' jamey Wrote:I was wondering, "Jeez Scotty you really don't know do you?" Smile

That's cool. :Thumbs:

LOL. Very clever. I should have been a little more clearer. BTW, I was watching the Reds-Cubs game on WGN and I turned it for one min and the score went from 4-5 to 4-11. LOL Thats the bullpen at work.
I really like Mackanin as manager, he gets the team to play hard for him and he seems to relate to the players a little better. That said, I see very little chance for him to be hired on full-time. I felt that he would probably need to go around 50-30 in the last 80 games, which would have gotten the team to a .500 finish overall. After the Reds' loss today, they sit at 21-17 under Mackanin's tenure. If they continue at this current pace, they will end up going about 45-35 for him, which I don't think will be enough considering the public pressure in Cincinnati to bring in a "name" manager.
SHELBY VALLEY WILDCATS - 2010 KHSAA STATE CHAMPIONS

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
More Cowbell Wrote:I really like Mackanin as manager, he gets the team to play hard for him and he seems to relate to the players a little better. That said, I see very little chance for him to be hired on full-time. I felt that he would probably need to go around 50-30 in the last 80 games, which would have gotten the team to a .500 finish overall. After the Reds' loss today, they sit at 21-17 under Mackanin's tenure. If they continue at this current pace, they will end up going about 45-35 for him, which I don't think will be enough considering the public pressure in Cincinnati to bring in a "name" manager.

I agree! You nailed it man. I think he has done a good job but not the kind of job that makes you realize that he needs to stay.
More Cowbell Wrote:If they continue at this current pace, they will end up going about 45-35 for him, which I don't think will be enough considering the public pressure in Cincinnati to bring in a "name" manager.

Finishing at .500 isn't enough for Mackanin to keep his job and unless they finish close to the race for the NL Central title (which won't happen) it won't be enough either.
jammin' jamey Wrote:Finishing at .500 isn't enough for Mackanin to keep his job and unless they finish close to the race for the NL Central title (which won't happen) it won't be enough either.

I disagree. I think if the Reds finish at .500 then Mackanin will have a decent chance to keep the job full-time. It would be hard to not reward a guy for going 50-30 (20 games over) in half a season.

That said, even after the Reds win tonight, Mackanin would still need to finish the team's remaining games 28-13 to get to .500, and I don't see that happening.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Its a long shot. He has done a very good job in Cincy but he is just not the future guy that Krivsky is looking for.
i hope for giriadi
Grand Slam Wrote:i hope for giriadi

Me too!!!
Who eventually won that poll that was on this section a couple weeks ago? I think it was Giradi.
Scotty doesn't know Wrote:Who eventually won that poll that was on this section a couple weeks ago? I think it was Giradi.

Yes, Girardi won. He had 6 votes, LaRussa had 4, and Brenly had 2. Mackanin got zero.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]