Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2020 Class 3a predictions
Just wanted to see what everyone was suspecting to happen next year in 3a. I’d like to see a top 10 from other parts of the bluegrass or just who’s a contender to knock off the returning pirates from last year.
3A will be very interesting in 2020
I think you have to start with Belfry and Desales in 3a for 2020. Until a 3a team not named Belfry or Desales beats either one of these teams I think they are top dogs.
Bell County returns the farm except for Stephany.

Belfry has some big holes to fill but also has some top shelf players returning led by Dixon namely.

DeSales loses the most dominant part of their team in their vaunted D-Line, but return some solid talent on offense.

Etown should have a very good team but they just lost Coach Brown to retirement.

Russell is a team to look out for with a ton of experience back.

1. Bell County
2. Belfry
3. DeSales
4. CAL
5. Etown
6. Russell
7. Taylor County
8. Ashland
9. Glasgow
10. Bardstown
3A has the potential to be the most unpredictable class come playoff time. I'm excited to see it glad the Bobcats will still be in the discussion, but it's a long way from now to Kroger.
Russell and Ashland will be battling for their district again this year. Fleming County is a near lock to win their district.
WestCarterComet Wrote:Russell and Ashland will be battling for their district again this year. Fleming County is a near lock to win their district.

I think Russell stands a good chance of coming out of the district on top. Ashland will be dealing with some big losses, especially on offense.

Fleming may win their district...but that's as far as they go IMO.

Statewide....I see the top looking like this...

1. Belfry
2. DeSales
3. Bell Co

Belfry loses a great senior class...but many of their skilled kids and playmakers return. But there is work to be done.

DeSales loses their D-line...which is a huge blow....but IMO, they have enough coming back to be a favorite

Bell has a lot coming back.....but from an athleticism standpoint, losing Stephany is a tall mountain to climb.
OutlawJoseyWales Wrote:I think Russell stands a good chance of coming out of the district on top. Ashland will be dealing with some big losses, especially on offense.

Fleming may win their district...but that's as far as they go IMO.

Statewide....I see the top looking like this...

1. Belfry
2. DeSales
3. Bell Co

Belfry loses a great senior class...but many of their skilled kids and playmakers return. But there is work to be done.

DeSales loses their D-line...which is a huge blow....but IMO, they have enough coming back to be a favorite

Bell has a lot coming back.....but from an athleticism standpoint, losing Stephany is a tall mountain to climb.

Russell loses several on defense. I think it’s a 50/50 shot with them and Ashland. Fleming will be blown out in round 3.
Belfry, Bell Co and DeSales will be your Top 3 again in 2020.
WestCarterComet Wrote:Russell loses several on defense. I think it’s a 50/50 shot with them and Ashland. Fleming will be blown out in round 3.
Fleming hasn't made it to the 3rd round many times, but I agree that I think they will return next season. They graduate a lot, but they have a strong junior class.
I would like to see the 3 one time district foes (Fleming, Russell and West Carter) all win district championships.
thecoacher Wrote:Fleming hasn't made it to the 3rd round many times, but I agree that I think they will return next season. They graduate a lot, but they have a strong junior class.
I would like to see the 3 one time district foes (Fleming, Russell and West Carter) all win district championships.

As would I. Russell has the hardest district to win of the three. Fleming should run theirs with no problem, hopefully the Comets can too!
thecoacher Wrote:Fleming hasn't made it to the 3rd round many times, but I agree that I think they will return next season. They graduate a lot, but they have a strong junior class.

I actually think Mason may be the district favorite there
OutlawJoseyWales Wrote:I actually think Mason may be the district favorite there

How so?
WestCarterComet Wrote:How so?

Because Fleming is always terrible and they haven't beaten Mason 7 straight times.
thecoacher Wrote:Because Fleming is always terrible and they haven't beaten Mason 7 straight times.

Fleming owns Mason!
WestCarterComet Wrote:Fleming owns Mason!

I was being sarcastic as OJW and many others don't have much positive to say about Fleming most of the time.
They have had a nice run against Mason as of late but Mason has a really good group of young kids. Their freshman class is loaded.
thecoacher Wrote:I was being sarcastic as OJW and many others don't have much positive to say about Fleming most of the time.
They have had a nice run against Mason as of late but Mason has a really good group of young kids. Their freshman class is loaded.

Mason does have a good group coming back. You’re correct.....I’m not a fan of Fleming ....at all. I have my reasons....and I’ll keep them too myself. Despite that....I’m more than willing to call a spade a spade. If and when they’ve got a contender....I’ll give them the praise and respect deserved. Certainly nothing personal directed toward any poster or fan on here.
thecoacher Wrote:I was being sarcastic as OJW and many others don't have much positive to say about Fleming most of the time.

Can their loaded freshman class make an impact this season?
EKUAlum05 Wrote:Bell County returns the farm except for Stephany.

I thought Jones, their top receiver, was also a senior.
WestCarterComet Wrote:Can their loaded freshman class make an impact this season?

Some started for them last season as freshmen.
I think Bardstown will make it interesting this year.
smoke1015 Wrote:I think Bardstown will make it interesting this year.

They have several coming back. They should be very solid. Speed all over the field.
thecoacher Wrote:Some started for them last season as freshmen.

Fleming had 12 juniors last year. Mason had 7. So it appears Fleming has the more experienced team. Mason will have to go to Fleming for the regular season matchup. It looks to me like advantage Fleming County especially given their recent success against the Royals.
WestCarterComet Wrote:Fleming had 12 juniors last year. Mason had 7. So it appears Fleming has the more experienced team. Mason will have to go to Fleming for the regular season matchup. It looks to me like advantage Fleming County especially given their recent success against the Royals.

Fleming’s QB was a do everything type....he was to Fleming what Stephany was to Bell. He was difference maker. He’s gonna be difficult to replace.....on both sides of the ball
OutlawJoseyWales Wrote:Fleming’s QB was a do everything type....he was to Fleming what Stephany was to Bell. He was difference maker. He’s gonna be difficult to replace.....on both sides of the ball

If I’m not mistaken, Mason counties quarterback graduates as well.
EKUAlum05 Wrote:Bell County returns the farm except for Stephany.

Belfry has some big holes to fill but also has some top shelf players returning led by Dixon namely.

DeSales loses the most dominant part of their team in their vaunted D-Line, but return some solid talent on offense.

Etown should have a very good team but they just lost Coach Brown to retirement.

Russell is a team to look out for with a ton of experience back.

1. Bell County
2. Belfry
3. DeSales
4. CAL
5. Etown
6. Russell
7. Taylor County
8. Ashland
9. Glasgow
10. Bardstown

This looks pretty accurate to me. However, I think spots 4-10 are a toss up. Like others have said, 3A I think still comes down to a three horse race. I don't think the separation from the rest of the pack is as far as what it's been in years past, but it's still there.

CAL isn't going anywhere. Too many resources, athletes, facilities in the heart of a 3 million people metropolitan area.

E-town isn't either. They might become a little more "human" from the standpoint of not having a Becherer in the backfield, to return kicks, making tackles all over the field, etc. Since 2014 when Brown took over a young team dominated by sophomores in 2013 that finished 6-5, they've had skill and they've also had a guy in the backfield from Berneil Cecil (14 & 15- with a young Jay Becherer), Jay Becherer (16-17- with a younger Joseph Becherer) and Joseph Becherer (18-19) . These dudes were like "create a player" on old NCAA football. So you took a team/program who has always had talent more years than not, hired a HOF/won everywhere he's ever been/state title winning coach & then throw in a GAME CHANGER cat(s) each year and it was the perfect recipe.

With that said, this job is going to his son Ross Brown, as it should. Ross has been his DC since coming to E-town, and was with his dad while at John Hardin for 7-8 seasons. I wouldn't even be shocked to see Coach Brown still call the offense. He's already retired from teaching/administration. He did that when he left John Hardin, so per KTRS law...he could retire again (like he has) and take a long enough period without pay (3-4 months) and still come back.

E-town's senior group next year won the 2016 Medium school KMSFA State title and their freshman group went 8-0 this year. They return more than enough talent and will be very well coached once again.

Russell will be Russell. They are almost always in the mix, as they have always been.

Taylor County has the Oliver kid coming back at RB who, IMO, is every bit as good as Tre Goodin and maybe better from an offensive standpoint (goes without saying, no disrespect to Goodin, but Oliver is just that electric. Like the Becherer kids from E-town). Campbellsville is losing kids to Taylor County, and with their facilities, being well coached by Marple and the new facilities they are going to be building...all while being in a college town? Keep getting used to seeing the Cardinals in the mix.

Ashland? See E-town, see Russell, see others.

Glasgow? See E-town, see Russell, see Ashland.

Bardstown? See Ashland, see E-town, see Russell, see Glasgow. Glasgow graduated 22 seniors and their leading rusher La'Darion Mongtomery transferred (has already enrolled) at Bethlehem. But they had a junior class of 17-20 kids with all kinds of talent and speed all over the place, including Coach Clark's son at QB who really came into his own this year.

Bardstown had those couple down years, but that's not normal. They've won 8-10 wins like it's their job under David Clark, they've just so happened to be matched up with CAL, DeSales and/or Central most years, and that happened again this year (DeSales).
WestCarterComet Wrote:Russell loses several on defense. I think it’s a 50/50 shot with them and Ashland. Fleming will be blown out in round 3.

Russell loses talent but has plenty coming back with experience and should be the favorite in their district. Conley will be one of the best players in 3A.
Runrunrun Wrote:Russell loses talent but has plenty coming back with experience and should be the favorite in their district. Conley will be one of the best players in 3A.

I couldn’t pick a favorite between them and Ashland honestly. They are both so evenly matched in my opinion. I just hope whichever wins the district can make it to the semifinals. Conley will definitely be the best football player in that district.
Bell has to get better athletically to seriously compete with a Belfry or DeSales. Belfry has a good enough nucleus returning that they will be a factor, and their schedule, although not totally complete will prepare them as always. With the likes of Pulaski County, Archbishop Alter, Pikeville, JC, and another team to fill the schedule, along with Mingo Central, Belfry should be well prepared come playoff time.
Come playoff time Belfry will be the team to beat.