Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reds Roster Moves...Freel Out for the Year?
TODAY'S TRANSACTIONS: Today the Reds optioned to Louisville LHP Jon Coutlangus.

Placed on the 15-day disabled list, retroactive to Friday IF/OF Ryan Freel (torn cartilage, right knee).

Recalled from Louisville RHP Gary Majewski.

Returned from a rehabilitation assignment and reinstated from the 60-day disabled list LHP Eddie Guardado (left elbow surgery, lower back);

Sent to Louisville on a rehabilitation assignment OF Josh Hamilton (sprained right wrist).

SURGERIES: IF Juan Castro today had season-ending "Tommy John" surgery to repair the torn ulnar collateral ligament in his right elbow...he is expected to recover by the beginning of next season...the 90-minute procedure was performed by Reds medical director Dr. Tim Kremchek...IF/OF Ryan Freel tomorrow is scheduled to have arthroscopic surgery to repair torn cartilage in his right knee...a prognosis will be made following the surgery.

http://frontier.cincinnati.com/blogs/red...ado-up.asp
The season from hell continues...
jammin' jamey Wrote:TODAY'S TRANSACTIONS: Today the Reds optioned to Louisville LHP Jon Coutlangus.

Placed on the 15-day disabled list, retroactive to Friday IF/OF Ryan Freel (torn cartilage, right knee).

Recalled from Louisville RHP Gary Majewski.

Returned from a rehabilitation assignment and reinstated from the 60-day disabled list LHP Eddie Guardado (left elbow surgery, lower back);

Sent to Louisville on a rehabilitation assignment OF Josh Hamilton (sprained right wrist).

SURGERIES: IF Juan Castro today had season-ending "Tommy John" surgery to repair the torn ulnar collateral ligament in his right elbow...he is expected to recover by the beginning of next season...the 90-minute procedure was performed by Reds medical director Dr. Tim Kremchek...IF/OF Ryan Freel tomorrow is scheduled to have arthroscopic surgery to repair torn cartilage in his right knee...a prognosis will be made following the surgery.

http://frontier.cincinnati.com/blogs/red...ado-up.asp

I hope Freel will be able to maintain his rough and tough identity out on the field after this surgery.
Freel is my favorite Reds player and do you think Burton should be closer.
rallo316 Wrote:Freel is my favorite Reds player and do you think Burton should be closer.

I like Freel too...Always have. But he's not an everyday player and the experiment over the last season and a half to try and make him an everyday player has failed. At this point, I'd take Norris Hopper over Freel to leadoff and play CF everyday.

I think Burton is fine where he is. More importantly, I think Weathers is fine where he is as closer. Closing games hasn't been the problem with the bullpen this year - it's getting through the 8th inning to the closer - that's the problem. So far, nobody has shown any consistency as a setup guy.
Can't have a closer who throws 88 mph fastball. I may be old school, but I like a guy throwing mid to upper 90s.
rallo316 Wrote:Freel is my favorite Reds player and do you think Burton should be closer.

jammin' jamey Wrote:I think Burton is fine where he is. More importantly, I think Weathers is fine where he is as closer. Closing games hasn't been the problem with the bullpen this year - it's getting through the 8th inning to the closer - that's the problem. So far, nobody has shown any consistency as a setup guy.

I am fine with Weathers closing this year, but I do think Burton could be the closer of the future, maybe as early as next year. His first few appearances were horrendous (couldn't find the plate) but since his most recent call-up he has been lights-out. He certainly does fit the mold of a 'classic' closer better than Weathers. That said, Stormy has done his job and done it well this season, imagine what our bullpen would've been like without him... :eek:
SHELBY VALLEY WILDCATS - 2010 KHSAA STATE CHAMPIONS

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Incidentally, does anyone else find it odd hat when Krivsky had to decide which pitcher to send out, he chose John Coutlangus (who has pitched well this year) over Todd "Home Run" Coffey?

Not sure what he was thinking there. :confused:

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
More Cowbell Wrote:Incidentally, does anyone else find it odd hat when Krivsky had to decide which pitcher to send out, he chose John Coutlangus (who has pitched well this year) over Todd "Home Run" Coffey?

Not sure what he was thinking there. :confused:

I agree man. Coffey is long overdue for that stent in the minors. I saw the other day that Majewski is back up. Has he pitched yet? I bet this season can not end soon enough for him.

I bet Josh Hamilton will be down in the minors for a week before Krivsky calls him up. He has turned out to be the biggest gain this year.
Scotty doesn't know Wrote:I agree man. Coffey is long overdue for that stent in the minors. I saw the other day that Majewski is back up. Has he pitched yet? I bet this season can not end soon enough for him.

I bet Josh Hamilton will be down in the minors for a week before Krivsky calls him up. He has turned out to be the biggest gain this year.

Coffey has already been in the minors for quite a while this year, and it has still not helped him one bit. I don't know what's wrong with him, but it sure does stink having him up here losing games for the big club. :ChairHit:

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
More Cowbell Wrote:Coffey has already been in the minors for quite a while this year, and it has still not helped him one bit. I don't know what's wrong with him, but it sure does stink having him up here losing games for the big club. :ChairHit:

Do you know anything new about Bray and Majewski (has he pitched)? I haven't seen anything on the boards today.
Scotty doesn't know Wrote:Do you know anything new about Bray and Majewski (has he pitched)? I haven't seen anything on the boards today.

Bray is still in the minors. Majewski has not pitched since being called up, but solid starts from both Arroyo and Harang may have a lot to do with that...

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
More Cowbell Wrote:Bray is still in the minors. Majewski has not pitched since being called up, but solid starts from both Arroyo and Harang may have a lot to do with that...
Do you know anything about Bray in the minors? I really want that kid to succeed up in Cincy. Hopefully it will come back to Majewski this time around.
No, haven't heard anything about Bray.

It will be interesting to see what Majewski does this time around, he may be running out of chances to prove that he can still get major-league hitters out.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
True. I just hate to see him come back to a horrible beginning after the troubles he has had this year. It just makes me feel for the guy that the whole city is against him to perform up to his potenial, right after his dad died and these injuries.
Scotty doesn't know Wrote:True. I just hate to see him come back to a horrible beginning after the troubles he has had this year. It just makes me feel for the guy that the whole city is against him to perform up to his potenial, right after his dad died and these injuries.

Are you sure his dad died? I think I read it was his sister, in an ATV accident. Either way, though, that's a tough thing to try to deal with while you're trying to keep your job on a major-league roster.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Wow you are right. I can almost swear that I read that Gary Majewski's dad die of cancer about 2-3 months ago. I might have got it mixed up with someone else. Sorry about that. I did not mean to give wrong information and I would never joke about that kind of situation.
If it is his sister I am sure it still had a lasting emotional effect on him.

Once again I am sorry about that.
Scotty doesn't know Wrote:Wow you are right. I can almost swear that I read that Gary Majewski's dad die of cancer about 2-3 months ago. I might have got it mixed up with someone else. Sorry about that. I did not mean to give wrong information and I would never joke about that kind of situation.
If it is his sister I am sure it still had a lasting emotional effect on him.

Once again I am sorry about that.

That's cool, I wasn't trying to ding you or anything. I just think that I had read it was his sister. Like I said, though, no matter who it was, losing a family member is always tough on anyone.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
More Cowbell Wrote:That's cool, I wasn't trying to ding you or anything. I just think that I had read it was his sister. Like I said, though, no matter who it was, losing a family member is always tough on anyone.

Yeah. I think everyone can agree with you on that. I just hope that for his mental state of mind he can perform up to expectations. Still all of his tribulations have to weigh on him....It would on me.
John can't find the plate with that motion.