Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Highland's Coach
A lot more than one parent said they didn’t understand how these kids were so good in grade school and Jr High. And don’t understand what happened
bo67 Wrote:Talent dried up? I heard a couple parents say these kids won in grade school and Jr High. Dales retirement was planned. He missed his kids growing up due to the time he put into winning CHAMPIONSHIPS. He became a grandpa. Said he was not missing them growing up. Stayed on one year as AD. I guess to let the new coach get his feet on the ground. And be there for extra support. Leaving him a team my mom could have coached.

To be fair, its easy to win in Grade school and JR high when you only play yourself in a league.
jlocke Wrote:Dale Mueller was not a big name and proven coach when he was hired at Highlands. He had some success at Withrow, but he had an 11 and 19 record at Sycamore the 3 years before he got the Highlands job. He had not won any championships. It worked out really well for Highlands because he was the best fit for the school and the community.

Chuck Smith was not a big name and proven coach when he was hired at Boyle County. That has turned out pretty good for them twice because he was the right fit.

Ty Scroggins was not a big name and a proven coach when he was hired at Central, but he was the best fit. It worked out well for them.

If Highlands does make change, they need to find a good coach that is the right fit for the school and the community. Hiring a big name because they have a big name would be a mistake for Highlands.
Thanks to dale mueller and those before him, highlands doesn’t need to piddle around with up and comers. They can go straight to proven coaches. Obviously the coach needs to fit the culture of the school. That goes without saying. Coaching at highlands is not lot coaching at many other schools and they don’t need to waste time to allow someone to develop
Woodsman Wrote:Thanks to dale mueller and those before him, highlands doesn’t need to piddle around with up and comers. They can go straight to proven coaches. Obviously the coach needs to fit the culture of the school. That goes without saying. Coaching at highlands is not lot coaching at many other schools and they don’t need to waste time to allow someone to develop

Sometimes I really question if you really know football?
I think the 6 straight state titles. Those kids were pretty good in grade school too. Difference. Mueller was the coach
Cakebattermatters Wrote:Sometimes I really question if you really know football?

Guess what my favorite hurricane was named?
bo67 Wrote:A lot more than one parent said they didn’t understand how these kids were so good in grade school and Jr High. And don’t understand what happened

It’s called puberty. Game changer.
bo67 Wrote:I think the 6 straight state titles. Those kids were pretty good in grade school too. Difference. Mueller was the coach

It really helped the highlands cause that Covington Catholic refused to hire an actual coach. Not taking anything away from their success or ol smiley, but it’s an undeniable reality that highland’s arch nemesis went awol for the better part of a decade.
Woodsman Wrote:It really helped the highlands cause that Covington Catholic refused to hire an actual coach. Not taking anything away from their success or ol smiley, but it’s an undeniable reality that highland’s arch nemesis went awol for the better part of a decade.

Dale Mueller is his name, and you need to show a little respect, I know he's earned it.

Actual coach, or recruiting got better? Just asking.
Cakebattermatters Wrote:Dale Mueller is his name, and you need to show a little respect, I know he's earned it.

Actual coach, or recruiting got better? Just asking.

What are you asking? Cov cath recruiting? Have you seen Eddie Eviston at any peewee football games? Do you recall seeing smiley?
Cakebattermatters Wrote:Sometimes I really question if you really know football?

Well you obviously never played the game and you are attempting to live vicariously through teenagers. Brother it’s ok if you missed out on your glory days. Try to move on.
It was no secret in the Fort that the pool of talented players in the middle school and grade school age teams was drying up the year or so before the coaching change was made. In Mueller's last year, many were already talking about the "dark Years" (in terms of upcoming player talent) ahead. Coach W was able to win one State title because he was fortunate that the cupboard was not completely bare his first 2 years. His second year and 3rd year, talent level was down, but not across the board. Had the platoon system been abandoned early and the best players were allowed to play on both sides of the ball, the Birds could have very well won another title in those 2 years. Beyond that, the level of talent has been way down, especially at the skill positions. Beau Hodge was the last very good QB at Highlands and there have been no standout running backs or receivers in several years. There have been good skill players every year, but none who were game changers. There were some players who could have been offensive stars had they been utilized on that side of the ball. So, both coaching and talent have been the issues for a few years. Hopefully a turnaround can happen but only time will tell.

No, he doesn't.
FoSho Wrote:No, he doesn't.

That’s hysterical coming from someone with your track record. Clearly you and cakebattermatters are of kindred spirits. High school was a long time ago gentlemen. You missed your chance. Please move on. It’s really becoming awkward
Woodsman Wrote:That’s hysterical coming from someone with your track record. Clearly you and cakebattermatters are of kindred spirits. High school was a long time ago gentlemen. You missed your chance. Please move on. It’s really becoming awkward

I was a stud in high school and I still am. If you don't believe that, just ask me.

😎
The turnaround at HHS starts at the top. I’m not sure this coaching STAFF can win no matter what. This staff has lost games in the last 4 years. Best players not going both ways. And some real bonehead calls on both sides of the ball
Let's keep this thread on topic.