Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Steroids makes you injury proned if anything! Your joints tighten up and react to a negative effect! So why compare Ripken to Bonds? Nobody in there right mind is seeing this comparison?
Great post Fritz, I agree with you completely..and Ripken didnt play 9 innings, 2632 times in a row. Several of those games, he only played 5 or 6 innings..Ripken was the greatest ambassador in the history of baseball. One of a handful that done everything right.
BFritz Wrote:You're saying that Ripken was kept healthy by steroids? That's a joke, why wouldn't he have been getting bigger? I believe steroids can make you bigger and stronger, but I think they'd destroy his body over a long period of time, which then he wouldn't have been able to play consecutive games.
PLAYBOY5 Wrote:Steroids makes you injury proned if anything!

That's correct PLAYBOY5.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
PLAYBOY5 Wrote:Steroids makes you injury proned if anything! Your joints tighten up and react to a negative effect! So why compare Ripken to Bonds? Nobody in there right mind is seeing this comparison?

No-one is comparing the two. The only thing they have in common is the era they played in and they will both be in the Hall. Rolleyes
PLAYBOY5 Wrote:Steroids makes you injury proned if anything! Your joints tighten up and react to a negative effect! So why compare Ripken to Bonds? Nobody in there right mind is seeing this comparison?

So that would explain all the Cortazone shots that the players used to talk about getting in their joints before the games back in the 70s and 80s. lol. Hoss I understand and respect your feelings for Bonds due to your Fav. player. What bothers me, are these youngsters who weren't even alive then or were still crapping yellow and don't remember a thing from that time period. I remember guys with broken fingers, hands, toes and so forth given injections and sent to the field to play. A lot of that stuff done then is now illeagal. So does that make them cheaters or just a guy trying to get that edge and keep his job? Athletes are always looking for loop holes and something to give them that edge over the next guy trying to take his or her job.
Shouldnt the name of this thread be 755*?
HAIL PIKEVILLE! Wrote:Shouldnt the name of this thread be 755*?
Smile Smile Smile someone please change the name of the thread!!!!!!! That's the coolest thing i've ever seen!!!!! i'm so mad at myself for not thinking of it first!!!!

I made a whole picture out of Smile to say 755 and then it tells me i'm only allowed 4 images........ I just wasted 15 minutes of my life.........
QB Challenge Champion, Just Pitching Champion, Midi Golf Champion- My Greatest Accomplishments in Life
I can just see the numbers in the Hall of Fame now! lol

Babe Ruth - 715* *May have drank illegal wiskey during prohibition.

Henry Aaron - 755* *May have smoked marihuana in the early 70s.

Barry Bonds - 7??* *May have used steroids.

Joe Dimaggio* *May have been in government conspiracy to assassinate JFK.

I'm sorry but the "*" thing is stupid. The way I look at it. You are either in or out.
If they put the "*" on it. They need to let Pete Rose and Shoeless Joe in and put one on them as well. Yes, he is an arrogant ass. But he is a great player and did hit the ball out of the park.
OffTheHook Wrote:Also Panther Thunder. Were you even born when Bonds was a Rookie? Did you even know that he played for the Pirates? I hope when Bonds breaks the record he gives us one of his old school spins after he watches it leave the yard and then rounds the bases.
Nope had no idea he played for pirates. How cool is that? O wait it's coming back to me, was that the time when he looked like a stick? And if he doesn't already deserve it, if he did that type of celebration coming out of the box i wouldn't expect anything less than a fastball up and in. And I don't think Bud Selig would give a darn about if the pitcher was throwing at him intentionally or not.
I do know a little history of sports, probably a lot more than you think.
PLAYBOY5 Wrote:Bonds will never be Ron Gant! I don't give a shit what he does or how many HR's he hits! Smile

Gant had some GUNS, didnt he? :muscleman nice recall, PB5

here is my take on the 2nd best PLAYER of all time..........:wieghts: = 755 AND counting
Panther Thunder Wrote:Nope had no idea he played for pirates. How cool is that? O wait it's coming back to me, was that the time when he looked like a stick? And if he doesn't already deserve it, if he did that type of celebration coming out of the box i wouldn't expect anything less than a fastball up and in. And I don't think Bud Selig would give a darn about if the pitcher was throwing at him intentionally or not.
I do know a little history of sports, probably a lot more than you think.

Yep. Not much bigger than you. Come and see me in 20 years and let's see if your still a stick.

Check out this site for some of these career stats. I was actually surprised myself.

http://www.fanbay.net/mlb/articles/2006/Bonds_1-06.htm

As you go down the page, when you get to the players names. Cleck on the word "here" and check out the career stats for each.
Pretty informative.:eek:
congrats to Bonds.
OffTheHook Wrote:I can just see the numbers in the Hall of Fame now! lol

Babe Ruth - 715* *May have drank illegal wiskey during prohibition.

Henry Aaron - 755* *May have smoked marihuana in the early 70s.

Barry Bonds - 7??* *May have used steroids.

Joe Dimaggio* *May have been in government conspiracy to assassinate JFK.

I'm sorry but the "*" thing is stupid. The way I look at it. You are either in or out.
If they put the "*" on it. They need to let Pete Rose and Shoeless Joe in and put one on them as well. Yes, he is an arrogant ass. But he is a great player and did hit the ball out of the park.

Did drinking whiskey during prohibition make him hit the ball farther?

Did smoking marijuana give him that extra speed in his swing?

Did killing JFK give Joe the ability to hit a curveball out of the park?

You're bringing up things that aren't related to baseball, so, no, there's no * next to those. They were normal people, maybe not perfect, but they played baseball the pure way.
QB Challenge Champion, Just Pitching Champion, Midi Golf Champion- My Greatest Accomplishments in Life
BFritz Wrote:Did drinking whiskey during prohibition make him hit the ball farther?

You're bringing up things that aren't related to baseball, so, no, there's no * next to those. They were normal people, maybe not perfect, but they played baseball the pure way.

GREAT POST!!! :Thumbs:
SHELBY VALLEY WILDCATS - 2010 KHSAA STATE CHAMPIONS

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
s
BFritz Wrote:Did drinking whiskey during prohibition make him hit the ball farther?

It was meant to be funny. Just goes to show stupid the * is. It also says that you can't put something like the * next to them if it is only suspected and not proven. Also trying to show how every is suspected of something. Also goes to shows how people turn the other cheek towards everyone else. Those were also broken laws. He may be an ass but he could play.

http://www.fanbay.net/mlb/articles/2006/Bonds_1-06.htm

This is from the above site

Barry Bonds Place in History

By: Fanbay.net Sports Staff

Plenty of people don't like Barry Bonds, totally discredit his home run achievements, but yet readily acknowledge Roger Maris' record without even flinching. So, we lay the numbers on the table.

Maris's 61 home runs stand out like a mohawk in a corporate board meeting relative to his other season's, so the notion that Bond's big year (73 in 2001) is somehow proof of wrong doing does not really hold weight with how player's career numbers change from year to year. For example, what explains Maris following his 61 with just 33 the year after? And, Maris hit 39 the year before, and his 3 best seasons otherwise? 23, 26, and 28. Maybe this doesn't change your mind about Bonds, but at the least it should open your eyes to the reality that the 61 homers by Maris were more of a surprise than Bond's 73. Bonds has over 700 home runs in his career. Maris finished with 275 (not even Top 100 all-time).

Since public opinion has been solidly swayed against Bonds, we just play the opposite side and throw a couple points out there to stir the pot. 1) MLB juiced the ball to increase home run numbers and boost attendance in the late 90's, 2000, 2001, etc. This fact is often forgotten and overlooked when considering Bonds production. The juiced ball heightened every players stats. 2) Can we know (will we ever know) if Maris, Ruth, or anyone else from the day's of yesteryear took any performance enhancer that was otherwise not available to most people.

Even if his numbers were boosted a little here and there by some performance enhancers, an objective view is that no amount of drugs can make a player good. They can improve a good player. But they can't make you good. Bonds has one of the best baseball swings in history and is one of the game's best players ever.

Bonds is a 7-time MVP and 13-time All Star. Bonds has won 8 Gold Glove awards for excellent defense. He is the only player in history with both 500 home runs and 500 stolen bases in history. He had the best batting average in the National League in both 2002 and 2004. Bonds has been walked the most times in history. Bonds is one of only 7 players in history to reach base over 5,000 times. His on-base percentage was a MLB record .609 in 2004 (next best in history is Bonds again and the next best after that is .553 from Ted Williams in 1941), stats. Slugging percentage: 3 of the top 5 seasons in history are Bonds (the two others are Ruth), stats. And, as evidence of incredible consistency, Bonds hit over 30 home runs in a MLB record 13 consecutive seasons.
Congrats to Barry. I don't care if he used steroids but, he has become one of my favirote mlb players.
Ring'Em Up Wrote:Gant had some GUNS, didnt he? :muscleman nice recall, PB5

here is my take on the 2nd best PLAYER of all time..........:wieghts: = 755 AND counting
LOL, I love it and truly was a Ron Gant fan.
But you know, Rickey Henderson had been acccused of cocaine also in the early 80's and he holds the stolen base record, and IMO, cocaine would FAR MORE help you steal a base than roids would help you hit a ball! Just another something to think about, lol.
lol..Tim Raines used to keep his crack pipe in his back pocket, and would only give a less than lethal headfirst slide so he wouldnt break it, lol
PLAYBOY5 Wrote:But you know, Rickey Henderson had been acccused of cocaine also in the early 80's and he holds the stolen base record, and IMO, cocaine would FAR MORE help you steal a base than roids would help you hit a ball! Just another something to think about, lol.
Was listening to ESPN Radio last night on XM and John Kruk was asked, "If you could go back and do it all over, would you use steroids?" . He aswered "Yes, Why not? Everyone else was." He also so stated something about that people doing it to keep up and keep their jobs and that it would have help his injuries and helped him heal quicker.

Did anyone else hear this? The guys at the studio just kept right on going and didn't give him any flack over it either.
OfftheHook...

You're drinking way too much Kool-Aid dude. I respect your opinion, but purest who love the game of baseball are not loving Barry Bonds and his tainted home run chase.

To compare Cal Ripken with Barry Bonds is ridiculous. Ripken is a true gentlemen of the game - an ambassador with his youth league program and volunteers his time to help youth learn the game of baseball the proper way. Ripken is a winner in every since of the word.

If you really think that Cal Ripken and Nolan Ryan took steroids, then you need your head examined.

Yeah, Bonds is a jerk. So what - it's a free country. If he chooses to be a jerkoff his whole life, then fine, I have no problem with that. I don't care that Babe Ruth drank too much, that Hank Aaron may have smoked weed, A-Rod is from Mars or whatever else you claim because he didn't affect the integrity of the game. Beer, weed, whatever doesn't create better performance on the field. Crazy. You're argument has no base.

Mickey Mantle could out drank the entire town of Milwaukee, go to Boston and challenge the biggest local Irish red-man to a drink off and still win on the same day. Guess what - Mantle admitted at the end that he made mistakes, wanted to change things but knew it was too late. He spent his last days tell kids to not drink, smoke and chew. What a man! Don't see Bonds doing that in a few years, do you? That what seperates the Mantles' from the Bonds' - they respected the game.

BTW - Andy Van Slyke is a 1st base coach for the Detroit Tigers. Many former Pirates from their winning years in the early 90s are on the current Tigers staff. Don't look for Barry Bonds to receive any reunion long-time-no-see calls from the Motor City.
I couldn't agree more with you jamey. I love the game of baseball and can respect any player's ability based on pure God given talent, but when someone puts on 40 pounds of pure lean muscle at the age of what 38? Then something is up. He admitted to taking a performance enhancing drug didn't he a few years ago "unknowingly" which is ridiculous.

Also to anybody that says steroids don't help you hit homers, then why in the hell do the players take them in the first place?

There's a reason Hank Aaron wasn't there to see 755, and there's a reason he didn't call to congratulate Bonds along with there's a reason that Selig didn't say congrats or even call him. He's a cheater, and the record is tainted. Just like Mark Mcguire who pleaded the 5th on Capital Hill, and Rafeal Palmeiro who was busted.

I also agree that it's ridiculous to say Ripken and Ryan took steroids, and agree with everything else Jamey and even Fritz is saying. Smile
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
lol God, I love gettin you guys all fired up. I know I said that Ripken and Ryan may have did it. But, in my heart I know they didn't. I just wanted to see what everyone's reaction would be when I said it. I love Ripken and Ryan, two of the greatest to ever play the game and their records will never be broken. Just like Barry. If you like him or not. He has been cranking out HRs at a steady pace since he has been in the league even before the 40 pound pack on. So even if he did take the juice all it helped him do was maybe help him hit it farther, cause like I said he was already hitting them over the fence. It doesn't matter if it is 6" or 100' over, it's still a HR. He had only one year that was off his normal pace, just like everyone else. I don't like his attitude or him either. But, the player I love. The * thing is just stupid unless it is proven that he did it. He was a great player on the field and you can't deny it.
lol, I wil leave you guys alone now and quit throwing out these crazy things about pure players. Was just bored this week and wanted to lite a fire under something besides Highschool kids. Like a lot of people seem to like to do on here.

But, thing I said that John Kruk said was true. He didn't even pause when he said it. I thought he would get rung up by the other guys but he didn't.
OffTheHook Wrote:He had only one year that was off his normal pace, just like everyone else.

BTW: Bonds was a "lead-off" hitter in his early years while in Pittsburgh...And it's ok to change your opinion, but it's not cool to set people off like Alfus and me...Cool

I have just been charged up about this for weeks now. I love baseball. It's the one sport the suits me - lazy, slow with stragedy. Like Alfus posted earlier, the 98 homerun chase was awesome, but McGwire and Sosa can kiss my hind parts. I fell for it hook, line and sinker then. I even went to Wrigley that year and saw Sosa play a doubleheader against the Mets and felt like I had died and gone to glory.

I was watching "First Take (Cold Pizza)" last Friday and Sage Steele conducted an interview with Joe Buck about the Bonds Homer chase. She elaborated about how Bonds and Aaron conduct themselves similarly and that they are gentlemen of the game! Buck's response was, "Well I will say this, Bonds is consistent." That's all he said! I was laughing and mad at the same time because Steele wouldn't acknowledge anything to do with Flaxseed, Steroids or anything else - just went on and on about Bonds and his glory. She must have a crush on him or something. At the end of the interview, she asked Buck how this compared with the 98 homerun chase with a smile on her face and Buck had enough. He responded by saying we're not as innocent know as we were then and are more aware of steroids (which is like saying a curse word to ESPN during this chase) and that most fans aren't fooled. Fool me once, shame on you - fool me twice, shame on me.

Giants fans love him because he's their guy. He's the guy that took them to a World Series, so they overlook his shortcomings and faults and the fact that he cheated to get there. If he was in St. Louis, Chicago, Cincinnati, feelings would be the same as they are in San Francisco. Don't say it wouldn't because there's a street still named after Pete Rose in the Queen City.

I don't care about 7filthy6...Because the record is 755 by Aaron - period.
jammin' jamey Wrote:BTW: Bonds was a "lead-off" hitter in his early years while in Pittsburgh...And it's ok to change your opinion, but it's not cool to set people off like Alfus and me...Cool

I have just been charged up about this for weeks now. I love baseball. It's the one sport the suits me - lazy, slow with stragedy. Like Alfus posted earlier, the 98 homerun chase was awesome, but McGwire and Sosa can kiss my hind parts. I fell for it hook, line and sinker then. I even went to Wrigley that year and saw Sosa play a doubleheader against the Mets and felt like I had died and gone to glory.

I was watching "First Take (Cold Pizza)" last Friday and Sage Steele conducted an interview with Joe Buck about the Bonds Homer chase. She elaborated about how Bonds and Aaron conduct themselves similarly and that they are gentlemen of the game! Buck's response was, "Well I will say this, Bonds is consistent." That's all he said! I was laughing and mad at the same time because Steele wouldn't acknowledge anything to do with Flaxseed, Steroids or anything else - just went on and on about Bonds and his glory. She must have a crush on him or something. At the end of the interview, she asked Buck how this compared with the 98 homerun chase with a smile on her face and Buck had enough. He responded by saying we're not as innocent know as we were then and are more aware of steroids (which is like saying a curse word to ESPN during this chase) and that most fans aren't fooled. Fool me once, shame on you - fool me twice, shame on me.

Giants fans love him because he's their guy. He's the guy that took them to a World Series, so they overlook his shortcomings and faults and the fact that he cheated to get there. If he was in St. Louis, Chicago, Cincinnati, feelings would be the same as they are in San Francisco. Don't say it wouldn't because there's a street still named after Pete Rose in the Queen City.

I don't care about 7filthy6...Because the record is 755 by Aaron - period.

He may have been. But, in his first five seasons for the Pirates he hit 111 HRs. 16,25,24,19 & 33. That's pretty darn good for a Lead off hitter. MLB is just as guilty of juicing as any of the players though because MLB juiced the ball to increase home run numbers and boost attendance in the late 90's, 2000, 2001, etc. Just think if Hank, Ruth and the others got to hit the ball today what the numbers would be.

Sorry to get ya so torn up though. lol :Thumbs: