Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Somerset 40 Danville 21
Final from Somerset. The Briar Jumpers got out to an early lead and weren't really threatened. The Admirals have some nice looking young players but they were just overmatched tonight. Somerset has to get their special teams cleaned up but overall a solid effort. It looked like a lot of kids got some clock and they seemed to come out of it healthy. Big game next week.
Losing Alex Miller is gonna hurt Somerset point blank. Somerset gave up 150 rushing yards to Sophomore running back Caleb Burns. Watching it online I wasn't that impressed with Somerset Defense. Offensively Sherron is a difference maker, Danville had him bobbled up in the backfield and he got away and found open receivers. He's really good. Grundy is really good also. If Somerset wants to win 2A they better get that secondary better, because LCA and Mayfield both have really good senior QBs that wont miss the throws Danville freshman Dawson did.
Somerset not nearly as good as I thought. I really thought this would be running clock. Danville holds on to the ball and doesn’t shoot their self in the foot so much could have been a touchdown closer. Somerset passing game more than the Ads young DB’s could handle, but Somerset’s defense doesn’t look nearly as good as in years past. Danville scored 3 touchdowns on long legitimate drives, the defense stopped Somerset on the goal line once and on downs deep another around the 15 or 20. I’ve seen some of LCA action and Somerset May be in trouble next week.
ThinThirty Wrote:Somerset not nearly as good as I thought. I really thought this would be running clock. Danville holds on to the ball and doesn’t shoot their self in the foot so much could have been a touchdown closer. Somerset passing game more than the Ads young DB’s could handle, but Somerset’s defense doesn’t look nearly as good as in years past. Danville scored 3 touchdowns on long legitimate drives, the defense stopped Somerset on the goal line once and on downs deep another around the 15 or 20. I’ve seen some of LCA action and Somerset May be in trouble next week.

Danville had another wide open TD dropped
Footballfan33 Wrote:Danville had another wide open TD dropped
This game certainly could have been a lot tighter.
Congrats Somerset
Good win Jumpers!
ThinThirty Wrote:This game certainly could have been a lot tighter.

And Somerset could certainly have opened the playbook up a lot more. They only tried to throw downfield a few times. They did what they needed to do. They gave Cam Austin the ball a bunch to give him a chance to transition from a change of pace type back that was used to getting the ball in space, to one that needs to get upfield and run behind their blockers. I saw some good things in that regard and Garland and Bailey looked good running the ball as well.

The young Admirals competed and acquitted themselves well, but I never really felt like Somerset ever completely put their foot on the gas. I really like Burns and Dawson. They're going to good ones.
Walt Longmire Wrote:And Somerset could certainly have opened the playbook up a lot more. They only tried to throw downfield a few times. They did what they needed to do. They gave Cam Austin the ball a bunch to give him a chance to transition from a change of pace type back that was used to getting the ball in space, to one that needs to get upfield and run behind their blockers. I saw some good things in that regard and Garland and Bailey looked good running the ball as well.

The young Admirals competed and acquitted themselves well, but I never really felt like Somerset ever completely put their foot on the gas. I really like Burns and Dawson. They're going to good ones.
They better open the play book wide against LCA and tighten up the defense or they are going to be finishing second in the district race.
ThinThirty Wrote:They better open the play book wide against LCA and tighten up the defense or they are going to be finishing second in the district race.

I'm sure they will. Once they jumped out to the big lead they seemed to coast tonight. The looming matchup with LCA might have had something to do with that. Should be a good one next week.
Congrats Somerset
I seen another Somerset starter go out in the 2nd half and never returned. Looked like he had ice on his shoulder.
Footballfan33 Wrote:I seen another Somerset starter go out in the 2nd half and never returned. Looked like he had ice on his shoulder.

He seemed okay after the game. But I guess we'll see next week.
The big runs by Danville are slightly concerning, but that didn't come until they were already in a big hole. I don't know how much Somerset was trying to show with their offense tonight, but we need to attack the middle of the field more often.

Jumpers are limping into district play. The loss of Miller was the big killer, but they've had a bunch of guys playing through minor injuries the past few weeks. A loss next week, which I'm by no means expecting, wouldn't upset me much. We just need to get as healthy as we can before the playoffs.
congrats Bunnies!
This is some of the best defense in 2A and the some of the best Somerset has had in years! They’re defensive line held up really good and those linebackers came in and took charge! I agree their secondary could tighten up a little but they’re all well put together! I’m not worried defensively about next week! It’s their offense that needs to tighten up! Go jumpers!
Congrats to Bunnies. The loss of Miller has thrown a kink into a well oiled machine but Coach Lucas will get them back on stride.
Oh, some of you gloom and doom for Somerset. Better start thinking the other way. Somerset's Defense is good, maybe best in 2A right now. Don't worry about the Offense either, they will be fine. LCA is very good and I expect a real good football game next week, whom ever wins the real season starts three weeks later.
I feel better about where things are going after we had someone checking this game out for us. I suspected what we learned but, didn’t know for sure.
mysonis55 Wrote:I feel better about where things are going after we had someone checking this game out for us. I suspected what we learned but, didn’t know for sure.

All of our games are online. Your scout could've stayed home.

lakecumberlandsports.com