Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2a at the top
Okay here is how the teams everyone is talking about show up statistically. I refer to their schedule as a + system. This is, if you are a 2a team and you play a 1a team, that’s a -1. If you are a 2a team and you play a 6a team, that’s a +4. So, here is what it looks like:

Somerset. +0
Opponents record: 17-21
Avg score: 48-10

LCA. +9
Opponents record: 19-16
Avg score: 41-29

Mayfield. +10
Opponents record: 25-22
Avg score: 40-18

Breathitt Co. +5
Opponents record: 13-35
Avg score: 48-8
OB Catholic +12
Opponents record: 22-27
Avg score: 48-22
mysonis55 Wrote:Okay here is how the teams everyone is talking about show up statistically. I refer to their schedule as a + system. This is, if you are a 2a team and you play a 1a team, that’s a -1. If you are a 2a team and you play a 6a team, that’s a +4. So, here is what it looks like:

Somerset. +0
Opponents record: 17-21
Avg score: 48-10

LCA. +9
Opponents record: 19-16
Avg score: 41-29

Mayfield. +10
Opponents record: 25-22
Avg score: 40-18

Breathitt Co. +5
Opponents record: 13-35
Avg score: 48-8

That's very interesting. Really surprised that Somerset is +0. And not surprised at Breathitts opponents record. That's going to kill the Bobcats come post season, especially from the 3rd round on. Nice breakdown 55.
#55PirateFan Wrote:That's very interesting. Really surprised that Somerset is +0. And not surprised at Breathitts opponents record. That's going to kill the Bobcats come post season, especially from the 3rd round on. Nice breakdown 55.

But it says nothing about the quality of the opponent. Playing a 6A team is meaningless if they're awful. By this system Somerset gets +4 for playing Montgomery County, who just wasn't any good. Hazard and Williamsburg were both better teams than Montgomery County and Rockcastle County but they get +7 for them and -2 for the Bulldogs and Jackets? I'll stick to the flawed RPI or CalPreps that measure the opponents records and who they've beaten. This will all get settled on the field in the next 9 weeks anyway.
#55PirateFan Wrote:That's very interesting. Really surprised that Somerset is +0. And not surprised at Breathitts opponents record. That's going to kill the Bobcats come post season, especially from the 3rd round on. Nice breakdown 55.

I understand your point on the lack of competitive games in the regular season and 1st two rounds of the postseason. But another way to look at it is that the Bobcats will be well-rested and Injuries and wear should be less than the other teams left.
Twitter: @tc_analytics

TheBrahmaBull Wrote:I understand your point on the lack of competitive games in the regular season and 1st two rounds of the postseason. But another way to look at it is that the Bobcats will be well-rested and Injuries and wear should be less than the other teams left.

That is true. But do you think the lack of competition their playing will give them a false reading of how good they really are once they advance past the district rounds (rounds 1-2) of the playoffs? I hope Breathitt makes a deep run in the playoffs, I really do. I cheer for all mountain teams. I just think this schedule is going to kill them. Don't get me wrong, it looks great what their doing right now. But who have they really played that we can actually judge how good they really are compared to the "big three" of 2A? What happens when they get to round 3 and are 12-0 and they face a 10-2 or 9-3 battle tested team like LCA, Somerset, or a Mayfield? Well-rested won't help them then. I hope I'm wrong but I just think when it's all said and done we won't find out how good the Bobcats really are until it's to late, when their first test comes in round 3 or 4 of the playoffs when they run up on a team that has went toe to toe with top teams and who are conditioned to play for four tough quarters and know what it's like to get behind and know how to come back. No way can anyone tell me that their schedule is helping them get ready for November. But listen, this is just my opinion. I could be dead wrong but I don't think I am. Good luck to the Bobcats and I hope they prove me wrong.
#55PirateFan Wrote:That is true. But do you think the lack of competition their playing will give them a false reading of how good they really are once they advance past the district rounds (rounds 1-2) of the playoffs? I hope Breathitt makes a deep run in the playoffs, I really do. I cheer for all mountain teams. I just think this schedule is going to kill them. Don't get me wrong, it looks great what their doing right now. But who have they really played that we can actually judge how good they really are compared to the "big three" of 2A? What happens when they get to round 3 and are 12-0 and they face a 10-2 or 9-3 battle tested team like LCA, Somerset, or a Mayfield? Well-rested won't help them then. I hope I'm wrong but I just think when it's all said and done we won't find out how good the Bobcats really are until it's to late, when their first test comes in round 3 or 4 of the playoffs when they run up on a team that has went toe to toe with top teams and who are conditioned to play for four tough quarters and know what it's like to get behind and know how to come back. No way can anyone tell me that their schedule is helping them get ready for November. But listen, this is just my opinion. I could be dead wrong but I don't think I am. Good luck to the Bobcats and I hope they prove me wrong.
It certainly will not help them as far as having to play at a high level every Friday in order to win. It does up the chances of them not being ready for the top tier teams. But it also will make them the freshest team in 2A and they are talented and have coaches that have won titles while playing schedules that were weak in the regular season. I look at the Middlesboro game and they were ready for that game even though they had not played anyone prior that would be considered good. So I do not think they will have a problem being ready and aware of what is needed in round 3. Will they win, who knows. But I do not think the lack of a regular-season difficulty will be hindering due to the pros that schedule offers.

TheBrahmaBull Wrote:It certainly will not help them as far as having to play at a high level every Friday in order to win. It does up the chances of them not being ready for the top tier teams. But it also will make them the freshest team in 2A and they are talented and have coaches that have won titles while playing schedules that were weak in the regular season. I look at the Middlesboro game and they were ready for that game even though they had not played anyone prior that would be considered good. So I do not think they will have a problem being ready and aware of what is needed in round 3. Will they win, who knows. But I do not think the lack of a regular-season difficulty will be hindering due to the pros that schedule offers.

A lot of time it isn't the preparation that gets you when you have a major jump up in competition, it's the shock of having to execute against a team fast enough and physical enough to disrupt what you want to do. I've seen it time after time. A team plays a schedule that doesn't prepare them for the speed and physicality that they see when they face elite competition. Often times it takes a quarter or a half to adjust, and by then it's too late. The Breathitt County coaching staff can prepare and scheme all they want. They cannot, however, get their team reps against players with the speed and strength that they'll see against LCA, Mayfield or Somerset. You can't do that against that schedule or in practice. They won't be making a step up in competition against those teams. They'll be making several steps up.
Walt Longmire Wrote:But it says nothing about the quality of the opponent. Playing a 6A team is meaningless if they're awful. By this system Somerset gets +4 for playing Montgomery County, who just wasn't any good. Hazard and Williamsburg were both better teams than Montgomery County and Rockcastle County but they get +7 for them and -2 for the Bulldogs and Jackets? I'll stick to the flawed RPI or CalPreps that measure the opponents records and who they've beaten. This will all get settled on the field in the next 9 weeks anyway.

I agree, with Walt, they are all gonna be flawed, I guess we will get to see which one was less flawed at the end as Walt said.
Does Breathitt run Kentucky Gridiron Prep? They sure do hype them ??
https://twitter.com/KPGfootball/status/1...75142?s=19
I agree. I’m not convinced that Breathitt can hang even close to Somerset. I will pull for them, but I’m afraid the maybe fools gold. Hope they prove me wrong also.
Jackson Purchase Wrote:Does Breathitt run Kentucky Gridiron Prep? They sure do hype them ??

I may be wrong but the writer for KPG has a kid who plays for Breathitt and the entire page has turned into a Breathitt co show. All he every posts is his biased opinion on Breathitt and hypes his kid up like he’s a 5 star. There’s nothing wrong with it IMO but it ruined my enjoyment of his articles. Makes me question their judgement.
MountainBaller Wrote:I agree. I’m not convinced that Breathitt can hang even close to Somerset. I will pull for them, but I’m afraid the maybe fools gold. Hope they prove me wrong also.
I promise you Breathitt can hang with Somerset!!!! I have watch both teams in person and I’m here to tell you Breathitt at least two td better team. Somerset losing there start RB really hurts them. He makes a lot big plays. Breathitt O-Line has improved a lot and they’re super physical!!!!
Statebound19 Wrote:I promise you Breathitt can hang with Somerset!!!! I have watch both teams in person and I’m here to tell you Breathitt at least two td better team. Somerset losing there start RB really hurts them. He makes a lot big plays. Breathitt O-Line has improved a lot and they’re super physical!!!!
Two TD’s? Sure Breathitt is good for 2a this year but they do not have near the skill to compete with any of the top 3. Any team in 2a’s top 10 should be able to go undefeated with Breathitts schedule. Breathitt is solid but to go as far as beating Somerset by 2? I’m not buying it!
We all have out opinions but the good thing about sports is that all will be settled on the field. The fact is that Breathitt has one of the weakest if not THE weakest schedules in the state. But past that we just do not know until the games are actually played.

Eagle2009 Wrote:I may be wrong but the writer for KPG has a kid who plays for Breathitt and the entire page has turned into a Breathitt co show. All he every posts is his biased opinion on Breathitt and hypes his kid up like he’s a 5 star. There’s nothing wrong with it IMO but it ruined my enjoyment of his articles. Makes me question their judgement.

You're not wrong. Aside from the fact that they're incredibly biased, the writer is also not very knowledgable of Kentucky high school football. Things that would take 2 minutes on Google to fact check he gets wrong.
RoShamBo Wrote:You're not wrong. Aside from the fact that they're incredibly biased, the writer is also not very knowledgable of Kentucky high school football. Things that would take 2 minutes on Google to fact check he gets wrong.
I’ve noticed that before which Makes it hard for me. I want to support more articles like he does about highschool football but I also can’t support something that isn’t credible
Buy it , don’t buy it really doesn’t matter. But Hopefully about 5 weeks we find out. If I wrong I buy a Somerset hat and shirt wear it all week . I promise I do not like color Purple!!!! Lol
I’m not buying it either. Breathitt is on the right track and bringing their program back around. They have some good and athletic kids. But they aren’t where they need to be to play late into the post season. I’ve seen Breathitt play in person. Kyle has done a great job. But they aren’t at all on the level of Somerset and Mayfields level yet. This schedule is a great confidence booster. But the reality will settle in later when they have to play legit teams.
Walt Longmire Wrote:A lot of time it isn't the preparation that gets you when you have a major jump up in competition, it's the shock of having to execute against a team fast enough and physical enough to disrupt what you want to do. I've seen it time after time. A team plays a schedule that doesn't prepare them for the speed and physicality that they see when they face elite competition. Often times it takes a quarter or a half to adjust, and by then it's too late. The Breathitt County coaching staff can prepare and scheme all they want. They cannot, however, get their team reps against players with the speed and strength that they'll see against LCA, Mayfield or Somerset. You can't do that against that schedule or in practice. They won't be making a step up in competition against those teams. They'll be making several steps up.

Everyone of you have great points. This is the type of discussions I like having on BGR. Even though we have different opinions, everyone is discussing their ideas instead of arguing and name calling.

Your post here Walt is more of my line of thinking.

Example of what I'm talking about. Take Belfry's four year championship run they had and even up to this team. You know how many times they went undefeated in those four years and since? ZERO. Want to know why? It's because Coach Heywood schedules teams that he know's, more than likely, are better than Belfry and that more than likely it will result in a loss. He schedules powerhouse teams like Knoxville Catholic out of Tennessee, Huntington High and Cabell Midland, two of the largest schools in WV and toughest. Archbishop Alter a power out of Ohio. And it's the same reason he keeps Johnson Central on our schedule.

He schedules games like that not for the win but for the preparation. It gets his teams ready. Gets them prepared to know what to do when they get behind or run into adversity. It gets his team conditioned so when his starters are needed to play for 48 minutes without a break they are in shape to do so. I believe a schedule prepares you just as much as two a days and practice do for the postseason. You play a weak schedule then you'll be a weak team come November.
#55PirateFan Wrote:Everyone of you have great points. This is the type of discussions I like having on BGR. Even though we have different opinions, everyone is discussing their ideas instead of arguing and name calling.

Your post here Walt is more of my line of thinking.

Example of what I'm talking about. Take Belfry's four year championship run they had and even up to this team. You know how many times they went undefeated in those four years and since? ZERO. Want to know why? It's because Coach Heywood schedules teams that he know's, more than likely, are better than Belfry and that more than likely it will result in a loss. He schedules powerhouse teams like Knoxville Catholic out of Tennessee, Huntington High and Cabell Midland, two of the largest schools in WV and toughest. Archbishop Alter a power out of Ohio. And it's the same reason he keeps Johnson Central on our schedule.

He schedules games like that not for the win but for the preparation. It gets his teams ready. Gets them prepared to know what to do when they get behind or run into adversity. It gets his team conditioned so when his starters are needed to play for 48 minutes without a break they are in shape to do so. I believe a schedule prepares you just as much as two a days and practice do for the postseason. You play a weak schedule then you'll be a weak team come November.

This is exactly why McCracken has won six regional baseball championships in a row. When the best Pitcher you've faced all year is standing on the mound in the regional final your in deep trouble. It's even more significant in football. Belfry, Mayfield and other long standing traditions bring an edge. When they hit you in the mouth for the 1st time its really is a wake-up call. Few can respond without swimming in deep, deep waters. Weak schedules prepare you for nothing.
Breathitt has a few good players. But they are not even field close the athletes Somerset and Mayfield do. Noway Breathitt is 2 TD’s better than Somerset. Somerset easily 21 points better. May even be running clock better.
Statebound19 Wrote:I promise you Breathitt can hang with Somerset!!!! I have watch both teams in person and I’m here to tell you Breathitt at least two td better team. Somerset losing there start RB really hurts them. He makes a lot big plays. Breathitt O-Line has improved a lot and they’re super physical!!!!

How do you know what you're watching when you watch Breathitt play given the lack of competition that they've seen? It's easy to look physical and fast when you aren't playing anyone. They probably look awesome against their 2nd string in practice as well. Who did you see Somerset play?
Walt Longmire Wrote:How do you know what you're watching when you watch Breathitt play given the lack of competition that they've seen? It's easy to look physical and fast when you aren't playing anyone. They probably look awesome against their 2nd string in practice as well. Who did you see Somerset play?
Somerset is very good this season. Their schedule down the stretch is very tough and they play against physical teams. They will more than likely be beaten up physically by the 3rd round if they get past LCA. https://scoreboard.12dt.com/scoreboard/k.../?id=81717

Walt Longmire Wrote:How do you know what you're watching when you watch Breathitt play given the lack of competition that they've seen? It's easy to look physical and fast when you aren't playing anyone. They probably look awesome against their 2nd string in practice as well. Who did you see Somerset play?

Yeah, look at my Dallas Cowboys. Looked like world beaters the first 3 weeks. The last 2, couldn’t control the ball against Saints and turning over the ball like candy against Packers.
MountainBaller Wrote:Breathitt has a few good players. But they are not even field close the athletes Somerset and Mayfield do. Noway Breathitt is 2 TD’s better than Somerset. Somerset easily 21 points better. May even be running clock better.
Now that is funny!!! Running clock!!! I have watch Somerset two different times this year. I honestly went in think Somerset is pretty untouchable but after watching them first time I was not impressed at all so the second time at Hazard and I wasn’t impressed at all. Hazard honestly out played Somerset. Then losing starting RB will hurt them. They will not stop CA Collins. I can’t wait until they play someone that is good so people will stop talking about schedule that was done 2 years in advance. They unleash reins on Collins and let him run like wild dog. Somerset will not stop him.
Thought Somerset would beat Hazard a lot worse than they did. But I still say Mayfield is the best team in 2A followed by Somerset.
Statebound19 Wrote:Now that is funny!!! Running clock!!! I have watch Somerset two different times this year. I honestly went in think Somerset is pretty untouchable but after watching them first time I was not impressed at all so the second time at Hazard and I wasn’t impressed at all. Hazard honestly out played Somerset. Then losing starting RB will hurt them. They will not stop CA Collins. I can’t wait until they play someone that is good so people will stop talking about schedule that was done 2 years in advance. They unleash reins on Collins and let him run like wild dog. Somerset will not stop him.

:lmao: :thatsfunn:popcorn: the only thing that I see so far that worries me is the passing game. If the Bobcats cannot pass the ball against the teams they have played how will they do against the better squads? Teams will load the box and dare the Cats to throw the ball. But I suppose you do not need to throw the ball to win at the lower levels of KHSfB. Just look at Belfry.....hehe......kidding Pirate fans......relax

Jackson Purchase Wrote:Does Breathitt run Kentucky Gridiron Prep? They sure do hype them ??

Basically he does. He is a joke. He clearly is more interested in his son getting his name out there than Breathitt being successful. I think he will be gone after this season and probably pump his son out to the highest bidder for his Sr. season. I feel bad for the kid he seems like a good young man.

He posts on this site a lot. Maybe even this very thread. ��
He makes even more outrageous claims than I do. ��
Statebound19 Wrote:Now that is funny!!! Running clock!!! I have watch Somerset two different times this year. I honestly went in think Somerset is pretty untouchable but after watching them first time I was not impressed at all so the second time at Hazard and I wasn’t impressed at all. Hazard honestly out played Somerset. Then losing starting RB will hurt them. They will not stop CA Collins. I can’t wait until they play someone that is good so people will stop talking about schedule that was done 2 years in advance. They unleash reins on Collins and let him run like wild dog. Somerset will not stop him.

So they were outplayed, on the road, had 200+ yards in penalties, lost their starting running back to a horrific injury right in front of the Somerset sideline on the very first offensive series, and still walked away with a two touchdown win. Maybe I'm biased but I think that says more about Somerset than some on here would like to admit. Keep sniffing for blood in the water, this team will be fine.