Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reds Trades Thread: Post all Reds Trades Here...
As has been reported on several news sites, the Reds traded Kyle Lohse today to the Philadephia Phillies for minor league pitcher Matt Maloney.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2954811

Apparently, Maloney was a decent prospect in the Philly organization, not a top-shelf guy but still a solid player. I agree completely with this trade, this was probably the easiest decision Krivsky was going to have, what with Lohse set to enter free agency this winter where the team would lose him for nothing.
SHELBY VALLEY WILDCATS - 2010 KHSAA STATE CHAMPIONS

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
More Cowbell Wrote:As has been reported on several news sites, the Reds traded Kyle Lohse today to the Philadephia Phillies for minor league pitcher Matt Maloney.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2954811

Apparently, Maloney was a decent prospect in the Philly organization, not a top-shelf guy but still a solid player. I agree completely with this trade, this was probably the easiest decision Krivsky was going to have, what with Lohse set to enter free agency this winter where the team would lose him for nothing.

Loshe was a good pick up when Krivsky was making all of the deals last year but he just became too inconsistent. I agree that this was the best decision for the Reds.
More Cowbell Wrote:I agree completely with this trade, this was probably the easiest decision Krivsky was going to have, what with Lohse set to enter free agency this winter where the team would lose him for nothing.

By far, his easiest decision. A no-brainer like you said with Lohse set for FA.
I am shocked that there are not more Reds trades to report on at this point.

I think Krivsky really dropped the ball somewhat. I can live with not trading Dunn or Griffey because I expected that other teams would not offer fair value for either one. But why is Jeff Conine still with the team? He is obviously not in their plans for next year (he has said he will likely retire), so why not give him one last shot at a title? I'm sure some playoff contender would have loved to add him to their bench, the Reds really should have shipped him off for whatever the best offer was.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
More Cowbell Wrote:I am shocked that there are not more Reds trades to report on at this point.

I think Krivsky really dropped the ball somewhat. I can live with not trading Dunn or Griffey because I expected that other teams would not offer fair value for either one. But why is Jeff Conine still with the team? He is obviously not in their plans for next year (he has said he will likely retire), so why not give him one last shot at a title? I'm sure some playoff contender would have loved to add him to their bench, the Reds really should have shipped him off for whatever the best offer was.

I am just hoping that they will trade Hatteburg in the offseason. He is a solid , solid player we should get a good prospect or a decent pitcher out of him. They need to especially with Votto coming up.
More Cowbell Wrote:I am shocked that there are not more Reds trades to report on at this point.

Don't be surprised to see Conine/Hatteberg/Stanton pass through waivers and possibly dealt before September 1st, which is the deadline for players to be traded who would be eligible for a postseason roster. Conine was traded that way last year.

I wasn't surprised too much about Dunn, considering how his contract is structured and the fact that Reds ownership is giving GM Krivsky some heat about pulling too many strings and trades. I'm all for keeping Dunn, if the payroll is raised to sign more quality starting pitching. The Reds will gamble that their youngsters in the pen will get better. Also, don't forget about the Jorge Cantu trade the Reds made, which went totally unheard in the media. He's a 25-year kid who's knocked in over 100 RBI's. Nobody on the Reds roster 25 or younger can stake claim to that.

Again I'm guessing, but the Reds feel they are only a few bullpen/1 more solid starting pitcher away from truly contending in a weak NL Central. Thus, they haven't blew up the roster. If the Reds don't raise the payroll in the offseason and only pickup Dunn's $13 million option, they will conduct a fire sale at this time next year unless they are winning and the key will be the bullpen improving.
jammin' jamey Wrote:Don't be surprised to see Conine/Hatteberg/Stanton pass through waivers and possibly dealt before September 1st, which is the deadline for players to be traded who would be eligible for a postseason roster. Conine was traded that way last year.

I wasn't surprised too much about Dunn, considering how his contract is structured and the fact that Reds ownership is giving GM Krivsky some heat about pulling too many strings and trades. I'm all for keeping Dunn, if the payroll is raised to sign more quality starting pitching. The Reds will gamble that their youngsters in the pen will get better. Also, don't forget about the Jorge Cantu trade the Reds made, which went totally unheard in the media. He's a 25-year kid who's knocked in over 100 RBI's. Nobody on the Reds roster 25 or younger can stake claim to that.

Again I'm guessing, but the Reds feel they are only a few bullpen/1 more solid starting pitcher away from truly contending in a weak NL Central. Thus, they haven't blew up the roster. If the Reds don't raise the payroll in the offseason and only pickup Dunn's $13 million option, they will conduct a fire sale at this time next year unless they are winning and the key will be the bullpen improving.

Can you expand a little on that trade? You are right I have not heard that one. BTW I agree about the players possibly going through waivers but I am still ALL for TRADING Dunn.
Scotty doesn't know Wrote:Can you expand a little on that trade? You are right I have not heard that one. BTW I agree about the players possibly going through waivers but I am still ALL for TRADING Dunn.

Sure...http://cbs.sportsline.com/mlb/story/10273312/rss

The Reds got Cantu for Brian Shackleford, a bum reliever who spent time with the Reds last year until he was caught with an underage girl in Milwaukee, and reliever Calvin Medlock, who has been spliting time with Louisville and Chattanooga this year. The Reds also received outfielder Shaun Cumberland, who was hitting .246 with six home runs and 34 RBI for Double-A Montgomery.

Cantu had a breakout season in 2005, suffered injuries last season and didn't make the club out of spring training this year. Like I said earlier, he's only 25 and has already enjoyed a season where he hit 28 homeruns, drove in 117 with a .286 batting average in his first full season with the Rays. This year, he's hitting .207 with 4 RBI's.

These are the kinds of deals (see Josh Hamilton and Brandon Phillips) that Krivsky likes to make and by looking at previous success, you have to feel good about it. The Reds weren't losing anything with what they gave the Rays.
jammin' jamey Wrote:Don't be surprised to see Conine/Hatteberg/Stanton pass through waivers and possibly dealt before September 1st, which is the deadline for players to be traded who would be eligible for a postseason roster. Conine was traded that way last year.

I am actually happy they didn't trade away Dunn, I think he can be a big factor next year. If they had been blown away with an offer, that's one thing, but that wasn't going to happen given his contract stipulation that would have basically made him a 2-month rental. So, keep him and exercise the option for next year. 13 million isn't too much for a good power hitter who gets on base as frequently as he does.

Where I felt he dropped the ball was in not trading guys that don't figure into the future. Conine, definitely, and Stanton too. Both of those guys should have been shipped off for whatever was offered. Hatteburg is a good player and I like him, but unless the Reds do not feel Votto is ready then it makes no sense to keep him either. I personally think that there's nothing left to prove for Votto in AAA ball, next year it's time for him to either sink or swim with the big club. Since he's also a lefty, you couldn't even platoon him with Hatteburg, who's also a lefty. Hatteburg is having one of his better years as a part-time starter, and he would have been a great addition to a contending team. I can't imagine there weren't offers, so Krivsky must have been holding out for more.

As far as Cantu, I had heard about the trade, but I didn't post it on here since it didn't involve any current major-leaguers. I agree that Krivsky's trying to catch lightning in a bottle like he did with Phillips, but I don't know where you play him in the infield. Obviously, Phillips isn't going anywhere, Gonzo is on a big contract, and I still think it's too early to give up on Encarnacion. First may be open next year, but what about Votto? Maybe they're thinking of a Cantu/Votto platoon, especially if they think Votto can't hit lefties well enough to play everyday.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
jammin' jamey Wrote:Sure...http://cbs.sportsline.com/mlb/story/10273312/rss

The Reds got Cantu for Brian Shackleford, a bum reliever who spent time with the Reds last year until he was caught with an underage girl in Milwaukee, and reliever Calvin Medlock, who has been spliting time with Louisville and Chattanooga this year. The Reds also received outfielder Shaun Cumberland, who was hitting .246 with six home runs and 34 RBI for Double-A Montgomery.

Cantu had a breakout season in 2005, suffered injuries last season and didn't make the club out of spring training this year. Like I said earlier, he's only 25 and has already enjoyed a season where he hit 28 homeruns, drove in 117 with a .286 batting average in his first full season with the Rays. This year, he's hitting .207 with 4 RBI's.

These are the kinds of deals (see Josh Hamilton and Brandon Phillips) that Krivsky likes to make and by looking at previous success, you have to feel good about it. The Reds weren't losing anything with what they gave the Rays.

Thanks man! I do feel pretty good about that.
More Cowbell Wrote:I am actually happy they didn't trade away Dunn, I think he can be a big factor next year. If they had been blown away with an offer, that's one thing, but that wasn't going to happen given his contract stipulation that would have basically made him a 2-month rental. So, keep him and exercise the option for next year. 13 million isn't too much for a good power hitter who gets on base as frequently as he does.

Where I felt he dropped the ball was in not trading guys that don't figure into the future. Conine, definitely, and Stanton too. Both of those guys should have been shipped off for whatever was offered. Hatteburg is a good player and I like him, but unless the Reds do not feel Votto is ready then it makes no sense to keep him either. I personally think that there's nothing left to prove for Votto in AAA ball, next year it's time for him to either sink or swim with the big club. Since he's also a lefty, you couldn't even platoon him with Hatteburg, who's also a lefty. Hatteburg is having one of his better years as a part-time starter, and he would have been a great addition to a contending team. I can't imagine there weren't offers, so Krivsky must have been holding out for more.

As far as Cantu, I had heard about the trade, but I didn't post it on here since it didn't involve any current major-leaguers. I agree that Krivsky's trying to catch lightning in a bottle like he did with Phillips, but I don't know where you play him in the infield. Obviously, Phillips isn't going anywhere, Gonzo is on a big contract, and I still think it's too early to give up on Encarnacion. First may be open next year, but what about Votto? Maybe they're thinking of a Cantu/Votto platoon, especially if they think Votto can't hit lefties well enough to play everyday.

I'm with you on the Dunn situation. I wouldn't trade him just for the sake of dumping him. Maybe Krivsky was asking too much for a summer rental? I know $13 million isn't much, but you can't go into the FA market and think you are going to land significant talent in terms of starting pitching/bullpen help and throw that kind of money at Dunn as well and not raise the payroll.

Cantu is an interesting situation. Maybe the ownership is wanting to put some pressure on Encarnacion? Either way, if Cantu finds his swing again, he or whoever he takes the place of will make the bench stronger. I don't think Cantu platoons at 1B.

I really think Votto will be called up in September. Conine and maybe Stanton will go through a waiver trade to somebody. Hatteberg is the team's best hitter - he's staying. Good insurance to help with Votto at 1B. Don't forget about Jay Bruce either. He's made the jump to Louisville. He may get a good look come spring training. And the Reds are going to run Dumatrait, Livingston, Ramirez out there to see what they have and if they can contribute next season. Right now, I'd take Livingston over Belisle as the 5th starter.
Got this from John Fay, beat writer for the Reds...http://frontier.cincinnati.com/blogs/red...esting.asp

Remember, that talk about Adam Dunn being traded to the Nationals? I've been told the deal was pretty far along when the Nationals pulled the plug on it.

No explanation was given why. But here’s one theory I heard: Jim Bowden never intended to do make a deal. He just strung the Reds along to waste their time. The Reds do still have a grievance pending against the Nationals over the Gary Majewksi episode.
jammin' jamey Wrote:I'm with you on the Dunn situation. I wouldn't trade him just for the sake of dumping him. Maybe Krivsky was asking too much for a summer rental? I know $13 million isn't much, but you can't go into the FA market and think you are going to land significant talent in terms of starting pitching/bullpen help and throw that kind of money at Dunn as well and not raise the payroll.

Cantu is an interesting situation. Maybe the ownership is wanting to put some pressure on Encarnacion? Either way, if Cantu finds his swing again, he or whoever he takes the place of will make the bench stronger. I don't think Cantu platoons at 1B.

I really think Votto will be called up in September. Conine and maybe Stanton will go through a waiver trade to somebody. Hatteberg is the team's best hitter - he's staying. Good insurance to help with Votto at 1B. Don't forget about Jay Bruce either. He's made the jump to Louisville. He may get a good look come spring training. And the Reds are going to run Dumatrait, Livingston, Ramirez out there to see what they have and if they can contribute next season. Right now, I'd take Livingston over Belisle as the 5th starter.

I'm glad someone else sees it my way on the Dunn no-trade. It is just a really unusual situation, one where he was actually more valuable to the Reds (who can keep him in 2008 at a reasonable rate) than to any other team (who would have just had him for 2 months). Better to keep him and get the benefit of his 40 HR's and 100 RBI's than to give him away for nothing.

As far as Cantu, I will agree that he is talented, but I still don't know where he plays. I guess they could be trying to push EE, but I really think he just needs more time, and the club has always been too quick to demote him whenever he has a bad stretch. Maybe if Cantu shows he can hit, EE becomes trade bait?

Finally, I still think trading Hatteberg would have made the team better, because I think he is one guy that would have fetched a solid prospect in return. He doesn't seem to fit into the plans for next year, unless the club feels Votto is not ready to start full-time. I think Hatteberg is too talented to waste sitting on the bench all year, he would be more valuable to the team as a trading chip to bring in some bullpen help.

Finally, I would agree about Conine and Stanton, they should both pass through waivers. Conine is old, while Stanton is old and makes too much money. I would not mind if the club practically gave Stanton away. If someone made a waiver claim on him, just go ahead and stick them with his contract.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
I wish the Reds would go after some sinker ball
type pitchers in the mold of Brandon Webb, not
that we could get him...but minor leaguers or
available senior circuiters who consistently
keep the ball sinking, down in the zone. Great
America does NOT reward up in the strike zone
pitchers!
thecavemaster Wrote:I wish the Reds would go after some sinker ball
type pitchers in the mold of Brandon Webb, not
that we could get him...but minor leaguers or
available senior circuiters who consistently
keep the ball sinking, down in the zone. Great
America does NOT reward up in the strike zone
pitchers!

Exactly why signing Eric Milton 3 years ago was one of the dumbest front-office decisions made by the Reds in the last 20 years. Sad

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
You said that right!
Milton would probably win Cy Young if he pitched In Petco Park!

Well, okay, maybe that's going a bit too far... LOL

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
"Eric Milton on the mound...he winds, he kicks...here's a long fly ball,
way back, it could be, it might be...it is...."
thecavemaster Wrote:"Eric Milton on the mound...he winds, he kicks...here's a long fly ball,
way back, it could be, it might be...it is...."

Heard that way too much last 3 years... Sad

It's kinda funny, I went to a Reds game the first week of the season back in 2005, and it happened to be Milton's first game sine he signed with the team in the offseason. He had just given up his second long homer to the Mets, and this drunk guy a couple rows down from me turned and said, "We'll be seeing a whole lotta that this year!" I thought it was funny at the time, but it's amazing that drunks do have the power of prophecy...

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
More Cowbell Wrote:Heard that way too much last 3 years... Sad

It's kinda funny, I went to a Reds game the first week of the season back in 2005, and it happened to be Milton's first game sine he signed with the team in the offseason. He had just given up his second long homer to the Mets, and this drunk guy a couple rows down from me turned and said, "We'll be seeing a whole lotta that this year!" I thought it was funny at the time, but it's amazing that drunks do have the power of prophecy...

Yes...must of been drinking Miller Lite...
More Cowbell Wrote:Finally, I still think trading Hatteberg would have made the team better, because I think he is one guy that would have fetched a solid prospect in return. He doesn't seem to fit into the plans for next year, unless the club feels Votto is not ready to start full-time. I think Hatteberg is too talented to waste sitting on the bench all year, he would be more valuable to the team as a trading chip to bring in some bullpen help.

Conine has played the last couple of games over Hatteberg, which blows my mind because Conine is not the future and Hatteberg is the teams best hitter...Go figure. I would disagree with you though, keeping Hatteberg as your insurance in case Votto flops is not a bad idea. You can't really platoon the two of them though because they both hit lefthanded...Again, go figure? And since Votto hits lefthanded, that nulls the idea of having him share time with Dunn at 1B. Same problem.

But, the real "waiver" trading deadline doesn't end until September, so things can still happen. I just want to know when are the Reds going to turn the page to next year. Playing Conine and not having Votto up here, or starting Victor Santos this weekend instead of Ramirez is blowing my mind...Go figure.
More Cowbell Wrote:Exactly why signing Eric Milton 3 years ago was one of the dumbest front-office decisions made by the Reds in the last 20 years. Sad

OH!!! I agree more than you will ever know! Man I have seen him at Great American and yeah it is not pretty (like you said). If I remember correctly he gave up at least 2 home runs and around 6 -7 runs. Yeah...sounds about right Smile
jammin' jamey Wrote:Conine has played the last couple of games over Hatteberg, which blows my mind because Conine is not the future and Hatteberg is the teams best hitter...Go figure. I would disagree with you though, keeping Hatteberg as your insurance in case Votto flops is not a bad idea. You can't really platoon the two of them though because they both hit lefthanded...Again, go figure? And since Votto hits lefthanded, that nulls the idea of having him share time with Dunn at 1B. Same problem.

But, the real "waiver" trading deadline doesn't end until September, so things can still happen. I just want to know when are the Reds going to turn the page to next year. Playing Conine and not having Votto up here, or starting Victor Santos this weekend instead of Ramirez is blowing my mind...Go figure.

We will just have to disagree about the best use of Hatteberg, then. My feeling is that if Votto is going to start, then Hatteberg becomes a glorified pinch-hitter, which is a luxury this team can't afford. If he's just going to sit the bench, the team would be better in the long run shipping him off for bullpen help to some team that does plan to use him in a greater role, either as a full-time starter or in a platoon situation. You can't platoon him and Votto, so it seems to be an either/or scenario where the team will need to pick who the full-time starter will be. If they don't plan to start Votto, then by all means keep Hatteberg, but I really think Votto has nothing left to prove in AAA ball.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
More Cowbell Wrote:We will just have to disagree about the best use of Hatteberg, then. My feeling is that if Votto is going to start, then Hatteberg becomes a glorified pinch-hitter, which is a luxury this team can't afford. If he's just going to sit the bench, the team would be better in the long run shipping him off for bullpen help to some team that does plan to use him in a greater role, either as a full-time starter or in a platoon situation. You can't platoon him and Votto, so it seems to be an either/or scenario where the team will need to pick who the full-time starter will be. If they don't plan to start Votto, then by all means keep Hatteberg, but I really think Votto has nothing left to prove in AAA ball.

There's a reason Hatteberg's still here, so I guess we will have to wait and see. :Thumbs:

As for Votto, I don't understand why the Reds don't go ahead and bring him up. As a matter of fact, why not bring up Bill Bray and Gary Majewski? It's time to turn the page for next year.
jammin' jamey Wrote:There's a reason Hatteberg's still here, so I guess we will have to wait and see. :Thumbs:

As for Votto, I don't understand why the Reds don't go ahead and bring him up. As a matter of fact, why not bring up Bill Bray and Gary Majewski? It's time to turn the page for next year.

Regarding Majewski, I think that they are not going to bring him up until they know that he is 100%. After the crap that he pulled after being called up that first time I know that the Reds do not want to force him out there again. Anyways, I do agree about Votto and Bray. Bring them up and let Votto get a feel for the big leagues before his major role next year and let Bray get the feel of pitching up in the bigs again.
jammin' jamey Wrote:There's a reason Hatteberg's still here, so I guess we will have to wait and see. :Thumbs:

I don't see them bringing up Votto until Hatteberg is traded, because it makes no sense to bring him up just to sit the bench. On the flip side, Hatteberg has hit too well this year to be relegated to pinch-hitting on the league's worst team. Personally, I would love to see what Votto can do, which is the main reason I think they should trade Hatteberg.

As far as the relievers go, I'm not sure if Majewski is ever going to be able to help this club, but Bray is another story. I would be very happy to see him healthy and getting major-league batters out like he did last year.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
More Cowbell Wrote:I don't see them bringing up Votto until Hatteberg is traded, because it makes no sense to bring him up just to sit the bench. On the flip side, Hatteberg has hit too well this year to be relegated to pinch-hitting on the league's worst team. Personally, I would love to see what Votto can do, which is the main reason I think they should trade Hatteberg.

As far as the relievers go, I'm not sure if Majewski is ever going to be able to help this club, but Bray is another story. I would be very happy to see him healthy and getting major-league batters out like he did last year.

Agreed! I absolutely hate it for Majewski man, He has not lived up to the potenial, he was shipped as "damaged goods" , and all within the same year his father dies from cancer....Buddy he has endured some physical and for the most part mental pain this year.
I know Votto is a good prospect, but it's too early to be so sure about him. I wouldn't be suprised to see Cantu end up being our first baseman. I'm more excited about Jay Bruce.
Fenix Wrote:I know Votto is a good prospect, but it's too early to be so sure about him. I wouldn't be suprised to see Cantu end up being our first baseman. I'm more excited about Jay Bruce.

Jay Bruce will hopefully be up in the bigs around the same time as Votto. They both seem to be really to make that jump.
Fenix Wrote:I know Votto is a good prospect, but it's too early to be so sure about him. I wouldn't be suprised to see Cantu end up being our first baseman. I'm more excited about Jay Bruce.

I know what you mean about Jay Bruce, man. After seeing how he has torn it up at every stop he has made this year, I can't wait to see him in a Reds uniform. Could possibly be starting on Opening Day 2008.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]