Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
UK Basketball Schedule 2007-2008 Announced
2007-08 UK men’s basketball schedule
Oct. 31 PIKEVILLE COLLEGE (Exh.) [FSN South/BBSN], 7 p.m.
Nov. 3 SEATTLE (Exh.) [FSN South/BBSN], TBA
Nov. 6 2K Sports College Hoops Classic (Lexington) [ESPNU], TBA
Nov. 7 2K Sports College Hoops Classic (Lexington) [ESPNU], TBA
Nov. 15 2K Sports College Hoops Classic (NYC) [ESPN2], TBA
Nov. 16 2K Sports College Hoops Classic (NYC) [ESPN2], TBA
Nov. 21 LIBERTY [FSN South/BBSN], 7 p.m.
Nov. 24 TEXAS SOUTHERN [FSN South/BBSN], TBA
Nov. 27 STONY BROOK [FSN South/BBSN], 7 p.m.
Dec. 1 NORTH CAROLINA [ESPN2], 2 p.m.
Dec. 8 at Indiana [CBS], 3:45 p.m.
Dec. 15 vs. UAB (Louisville) [ESPN] 2 p.m.
Dec. 18 at Houston [ESPN], 9 p.m.
Dec. 22 TENNESSEE TECH [FSN South/BBSN], 1 p.m.
Dec. 29 SAN DIEGO [TV TBA], TBA
Dec. 31 FLORIDA INTERNATIONAL [FSN South/BBSN], Noon
Jan. 5 LOUISVILLE [CBS], 4 p.m.
Jan. 12 VANDERBILT [CBS], 1:30 p.m.
Jan. 15 at Mississippi State [ESPN], 9 p.m.
Jan. 19 at Florida, 9 p.m. [ESPN], 9 p.m.
Jan. 22 TENNESSEE, 9 p.m. [ESPN], 9 p.m.
Jan. 26 SOUTH CAROLINA [LFS], 1 p.m.
Feb. 2 at Georgia [CBS], 1 p.m.
Feb. 6 at Auburn [LFS], 8 p.m.
Feb. 9 ALABAMA [LFS], 1 p.m.
Feb. 12 at Vanderbilt [ESPN], 9 p.m.
Feb. 16 at LSU [LFS], 1 p.m.
Feb. 19 GEORGIA [ESPN], 9 p.m.
Feb. 23 ARKANSAS [CBS], 2 p.m.
Feb. 27 OLE MISS [LFS], 8 p.m.
Mar. 2 at Tennessee [CBS], Noon
Mar. 5 at South Carolina [LFS], 7 p.m.
Mar. 9 FLORIDA [CBS], Noon
Mar. 13-16 SEC Tournament (Atlanta)

http://www.kentucky.com/232/story/136016.html

The 2K Sports College Hoops Classic is a 16-team tournament that also includes Connecticut, Memphis and Oklahoma.
A little weaker than last seasons schedule. It looks like we'll either be playing a top 20 team or a bottom 20 team with no mid major talent in between. UMASS would have looked nice on that schedule instead of somebody like Stony Brook or San Diego.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
alfus21 Wrote:UMASS would have looked nice on that schedule instead of somebody like Stony Brook or San Diego.

Totally agree...What UK did with UMASS was bush league without a doubt. I found it amazing that UK would hurt and alumnus, trying to build a program with a high profile game to be played in Boston. Lost a lot of respect for Mitch Barnhart because of that.
alfus21 Wrote:A little weaker than last seasons schedule. It looks like we'll either be playing a top 20 team or a bottom 20 team with no mid major talent in between. UMASS would have looked nice on that schedule instead of somebody like Stony Brook or San Diego.

I agree, Alfus, there are too many really bad teams on the schedule. I am most bothered by the likelihood that this will hurt their RPI rating this year. I would much rather see a few solid mid-majors like they had last year (UMass, Santa Clara, College of Charleston, Miami of Ohio) rather then the dregs of the NCAA that they have this year. The best way to have a lot of wins and build a solid RPI is to play those mid-majors that you should still beat, but will not sink your strength of schedule in the process.

And yes, I do think it's a shame that they bailed on the UMass game.
SHELBY VALLEY WILDCATS - 2010 KHSAA STATE CHAMPIONS

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
I agree with everything everyone has said this schedule is too weak. Umass would of been real nice to see. Our RPI will definatly be hurt so I'm disappointed with the start of that schedule. Hope our boys will be ready when unc rolls up but I doubt they will be with that schedule.
More Cowbell Wrote:I agree, Alfus, there are too many really bad teams on the schedule. I am most bothered by the likelihood that this will hurt their RPI rating this year. I would much rather see a few solid mid-majors like they had last year (UMass, Santa Clara, College of Charleston, Miami of Ohio) rather then the dregs of the NCAA that they have this year. The best way to have a lot of wins and build a solid RPI is to play those mid-majors that you should still beat, but will not sink your strength of schedule in the process.

And yes, I do think it's a shame that they bailed on the UMass game.

I will also agree with you guys. UMASS could have been a strong game to have for our RPI at the end of the year fightiong for seeding. Heck even Santa Clara, would have been a nice visit because of recruiting out west but I guess I will just leave it up to Billy G's judgement. In Billy G we trust.
Here is a printable version in case anyone is interested.
One of the weaker non-conference schedules I've seen in years.
Wonder what the hang-up is with listing who will televise the San Diego game? Can't imagine that CBS and ESPN are fighting over that matchup, so why don't they just go ahead and list it under Big Blue Network like all the rest of the easy games?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
It didn't take long to find a schedule easier than Kentucky's for a so called big name team.

Florida's Tough Schedule
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
alfus21 Wrote:It didn't take long to find a schedule easier than Kentucky's for a so called big name team.

Florida's Tough Schedule
ouch tough...... Ohio State and Florida State are the only repsectable non-conference games...
alfus21 Wrote:It didn't take long to find a schedule easier than Kentucky's for a so called big name team.

Florida's Tough Schedule

In the whole first half of the season the hardest team other than Ohio State looks like......Flordia State! That is insane that the defending National Champs would pad their schedule THAT much. Plus they do not leave home until a nice lil trip to Tampa then a trip to Jacksonville. LOL Columbus will be the first time that they are truely away. I hope that the RPI catches up with them around tourney time.
You guy's are crazy, that schedule is still brutal, we play UNC(ESPN preseason #2), Louisville(ESPN preseason topo 10), Indiana(ESPN preseason top 12), UAB, and if we win the two games at Rupp in the 2K tournament, we would play Memphis (ESPN preseason #1) and the play the winner or loser of Connecticut and Oklahoma. In no way is this a cupcake compared to last seasons, we could play upwards of 6 or 7 ranked teams in the non-conference. This a top 5 schedule.
mcfan1 Wrote:You guy's are crazy, that schedule is still brutal, we play UNC(ESPN preseason #2), Louisville(ESPN preseason topo 10), Indiana(ESPN preseason top 12), UAB, and if we win the two games at Rupp in the 2K tournament, we would play Memphis (ESPN preseason #1) and the play the winner or loser of Connecticut and Oklahoma. In no way is this a cupcake compared to last seasons, we could play upwards of 6 or 7 ranked teams in the non-conference. This a top 5 schedule.

There are not 6 or 7 ranked teams on there. UConn (17-14) and Oklahoma (16-15) may be big names, but neither team even made the NCAA tournament last year. I doubt either team will be ranked this year, nor will UAB. That leaves only 4 ranked teams at the most that UK could play.

I am still not even sure we will definitely play Memphis in the 2K tourney, I just went onto their official website and they have not posted any brackets yet. All they show are the 4 tournament hosts, but not how they would match up in the semi's, assuming they all made it. If we do draw Memphis, that will give us four top 25 teams. That does sound good, but the rest of the non-conf schedule is still very weak.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
More Cowbell Wrote:There are not 6 or 7 ranked teams on there. UConn (17-14) and Oklahoma (16-15) may be big names, but neither team even made the NCAA tournament last year. I doubt either team will be ranked this year, nor will UAB. That leaves only 4 ranked teams at the most that UK could play.

I am still not even sure we will definitely play Memphis in the 2K tourney, I just went onto their official website and they have not posted any brackets yet. All they show are the 4 tournament hosts, but not how they would match up in the semi's, assuming they all made it. If we do draw Memphis, that will give us four top 25 teams. That does sound good, but the rest of the non-conf schedule is still very weak.

I agree. I think a few tweaks would have been great. Leaving thegame with Umass and an upper mid major woulod have made the schedule look alot different to me. I think that as long as we beat the teams we should, gain the experience that our young team needs and beat a couple of the heavies like UNC and Louisville we will be a great team by conference time.
mcfan1 Wrote:You guy's are crazy, that schedule is still brutal, we play UNC(ESPN preseason #2), Louisville(ESPN preseason topo 10), Indiana(ESPN preseason top 12), UAB, and if we win the two games at Rupp in the 2K tournament, we would play Memphis (ESPN preseason #1) and the play the winner or loser of Connecticut and Oklahoma. In no way is this a cupcake compared to last seasons, we could play upwards of 6 or 7 ranked teams in the non-conference. This a top 5 schedule.
i agree i was going to say there is some good teams in the 2K and a matchup with UCONN WILL make it tougher and for the record don't agree with the way UK done UMASS.
Connecticut will be ranked this year, they get their top guard A.J. Price back, along with everyone else. UAB might not be ranked but they will probably be a tournament team (remember the players that followed Davis from IU will be playing this year), along with Oklahoma, who like UCONN and UAB were young last year.
Vermont. Neutral. In TampaSmile Go get em Billy D!! lol..

Florida's Tough Schedule
TidesHoss32 Wrote:Vermont. Neutral. In TampaSmile Go get em Billy D!! lol..

It's all about the recruiting man!!! That is why we are playing Houston in Houston. I absolutely love how Billy G is going into this first year.
Scotty doesn't know Wrote:It's all about the recruiting man!!! That is why we are playing Houston in Houston. I absolutely love how Billy G is going into this first year.

I thought we were playing Houston @ Houston as a return game since they came to Rupp last season. Either way it works out good especially for Texas recruits, but Billy G didn't have anything to do with it.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
alfus21 Wrote:I thought we were playing Houston @ Houston as a return game since they came to Rupp last season. Either way it works out good especially for Texas recruits, but Billy G didn't have anything to do with it.

You're right, the game is a return for them playing in Rupp last year, but there is more to it than that. Remember, UK had the same agreement with UMass, and you know what happened there. However the contract with Houston was worded, I'm sure UK had a provision to let them get out of the return game in exchange for a nice fat check.

Think about it. What does UK have to gain by agreeing to a home-and-home series with Houston? To me, the reason why that option was exercised with UMass (and screwing over a former player in the process) and not with Houston is recruiting. There are a lot of talented players in Texas, and I'm sure once Billy G came on board and saw the schedule, he didn't mind at all making a trip to make an appearance in the Lone Star State. However, UK rarely recruits the New England area, so Barnhart decided that the game in Boston was expendable.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
alfus21 Wrote:I thought we were playing Houston @ Houston as a return game since they came to Rupp last season. Either way it works out good especially for Texas recruits, but Billy G didn't have anything to do with it.

That is exactly what I meant. We are going into his old recruiting grounds! I beilieve UK kept the home and home with Houston because of that reason. We are not going up to UMass because Billy G doesn't seem to be recruiting that area as much. Now do you get what I was saying? Big Grin Sorry for the confusion.
More Cowbell Wrote:You're right, the game is a return for them playing in Rupp last year, but there is more to it than that. Remember, UK had the same agreement with UMass, and you know what happened there. However the contract with Houston was worded, I'm sure UK had a provision to let them get out of the return game in exchange for a nice fat check.

Think about it. What does UK have to gain by agreeing to a home-and-home series with Houston? To me, the reason why that option was exercised with UMass (and screwing over a former player in the process) and not with Houston is recruiting. There are a lot of talented players in Texas, and I'm sure once Billy G came on board and saw the schedule, he didn't mind at all making a trip to make an appearance in the Lone Star State. However, UK rarely recruits the New England area, so Barnhart decided that the game in Boston was expendable.

That is exactly what i meant in my post earlier. Sorry Alfus. I wonder what kind of recruiting trips may be in the cards for the cats schedule next year?
Still, BCG puts himself across as a straight
shooter, a good 'ol boy honest fellow... I
can't see how not honoring a contract squares
with that image.
thecavemaster Wrote:Still, BCG puts himself across as a straight
shooter, a good 'ol boy honest fellow... I
can't see how not honoring a contract squares
with that image.

It isn't Billy G's decision to make. That responsibility falls upon Mitch Barnhart's shoulders. Whether Gillispie asked Barnhart to get out of of the game or not, the final decision is still up to the AD.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
i know it is off topic but just seen EKU will travel to Duke this season.
rallo316 Wrote:i know it is off topic but just seen EKU will travel to Duke this season.

Yeah that is a little off topic lol. Wish them the best down in Camron.
Smart call on Billy though. I wouldn't put to much trust in Tubby's players either. If he was to have a losing season all the fans would run him off. Why not take it easy until all of the players is his players?
calQlate Wrote:Here is a printable version in case anyone is interested.

What website did you get that from?
The teams that are in the Lexington bracket with UK for the 2k Sports tournament are: Alabama A and M, Gardner Webb, and Central Arkansas.