Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
UK Football: Can they win the SEC Championship?
I love Rich Brooks...he sent Jerome Bettis to Pittsburgh:Thumbs: ..but Ive said all along that if UK can just play AVERAGE defense, they'll be a load for anybody to contend with. The best thing UK has done in 20 years was hire Randy Sanders IMO, but I was really hoping they would hire Joe Kines to coach the defense. I dont know a whole lot about Steve Brown, but when Saban came to Bama, he released Kines from his duties, and UK hadnt hired Brown yet, and I was hoping they'd hire Kines, because IMO, he's one of the best x's and o's d-coach in America..but we'll see, anythings an improvement. But Cowbell pointed out, and was correct, that the defense they played the last two games was as good as anybody in the SEC played during that span, and against top notch competition. Hopefully for UK fans, thats the defense everybody will see this year, not the d that gave up 36 to Central Michigan (who was a solid team, but not 36 against SEC good), and 40 to UL Monroe or Lafayette, whoever it was..
Scotty doesn't know Wrote:[/b]

Brooks would be the savior of UK football...I guess people are already considering that.
jammin' jamey Wrote:Care to expand? Big Grin

No, I don't think so.Wink
just because they won a bowl game last year does not mean that they will go win the sec. i think that the probabilty of that would be anywhere from 1to10%.
#1ukfan Wrote:just because they won a bowl game last year does not mean that they will go win the sec. i think that the probabilty of that would be anywhere from 1to10%.

I would say 0 to 1%. I hope they prove me wrong...
SHELBY VALLEY WILDCATS - 2010 KHSAA STATE CHAMPIONS

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
More Cowbell Wrote:I would say 0 to 1%. I hope they prove me wrong...

Heck would you give Vandy a negative % ? lol I am just shooting for a bowl.
Is there really alot of people that think they can do it?
maybe so, but I'd bet you a fat million bucks that nobody would lay a dollar on them winning the SEC, lol
Scotty doesn't know Wrote:Heck would you give Vandy a negative % ? lol I am just shooting for a bowl.
They....could, but I dont think they will
TidesHoss32 Wrote:maybe so, but I'd bet you a fat million bucks that nobody would lay a dollar on them winning the SEC, lol

Not a buck lol. :Thumbs:
Nobody had Arkansas beating Auburn and going to the SEC title game last year and they did it so why cant we?. KY has far more offensive weapons than Arkansas did last year. Mcfadden and Jones is all they had.
Scotty doesn't know Wrote:Heck would you give Vandy a negative % ? lol I am just shooting for a bowl.

The only way Vandy would ever win the SEC is if all the other schools are put on NCAA probation and became ineligible for the title. Don't laugh, with the SEC's history it could happen... Smile

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
More Cowbell Wrote:The only way Vandy would ever win the SEC is if all the other schools are put on NCAA probation and became ineligible for the title. Don't laugh, with the SEC's history it could happen... Smile

Very well could! Vandy's players and coaches are too smart to get into a stupid situation like that.
Scotty doesn't know Wrote:Very well could! Vandy's players and coaches are too smart to get into a stupid situation like that.

I wouldn't say that, but they are smart enough to know how to not get caught...Wink

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
More Cowbell Wrote:I wouldn't say that, but they are smart enough to know how to not get caught...Wink

Good way of putting it.. Anyways, back to business.
HAIL PIKEVILLE! Wrote:Nobody had Arkansas beating Auburn and going to the SEC title game last year and they did it so why cant we?. KY has far more offensive weapons than Arkansas did last year. Mcfadden and Jones is all they had.

I agree...I see Arkansas and South Carolina as very winnable games for UK, if the Cats are hot going into those matchups. It's amazing what a little momentum will do for a ballclub, or lack thereof - just ask Georgia last year.
jammin' jamey Wrote:I agree...I see Arkansas and South Carolina as very winnable games for UK, if the Cats are hot going into those matchups. It's amazing what a little momentum will do for a ballclub, or lack thereof - just ask Georgia last year.

Arkansas seems like they will be about as one-dimensional on offense as you could possibly be. They might not throw 5 passes the entire game. Smile Still, if you had a running game like they do, would you pass it either?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
More Cowbell Wrote:Arkansas seems like they will be about as one-dimensional on offense as you could possibly be. They might not throw 5 passes the entire game. Smile Still, if you had a running game like they do, would you pass it either?

Nope McFadden everyplay, everytime. (just kidding but seriously 70% of the time lol)
Scotty doesn't know Wrote:Nope McFadden everyplay, everytime. (just kidding but seriously 70% of the time lol)

If there was ever a team to stack the box with 8-9 guys to stop the run, they are the one. Who will be their QB this year, since Mitch Mustain transferred? Casey Dick again? Smile

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
i dont think UK will win the SEC championship, but they willl have a good season. they have a tough schedule. if they can play good, play together, they may have a shot at goin the same record they had last year.
More Cowbell Wrote:If there was ever a team to stack the box with 8-9 guys to stop the run, they are the one. Who will be their QB this year, since Mitch Mustain transferred? Casey Dick again? Smile

What do you think that our chances are to be them? With their running game I don't know if our defense can keep up. What is your take on that game?
Scotty doesn't know Wrote:What do you think that our chances are to be them? With their running game I don't know if our defense can keep up. What is your take on that game?

Whew, I don't know. UK has had trouble stopping the run for a long time now. A lot of it will depend on whether guys like Myron Pryor and Corey Peters stay healthy and can make an impact on the D-line. If we can make them beat us with their passing game (as I'm sure every team they play will try to do), we have a good chance.

Again, would you be scared of a QB named Casey Dick? Me neither.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
More Cowbell Wrote:Whew, I don't know. UK has had trouble stopping the run for a long time now. A lot of it will depend on whether guys like Myron Pryor and Corey Peters stay healthy and can make an impact on the D-line. If we can make them beat us with their passing game (as I'm sure every team they play will try to do), we have a good chance.
Again, would you be scared of a QB named Casey Dick? Me neither.

EXACTLY! So I think Arkansas is our best bet for an upset. Like you said things have to fall into place. Heck it will be like that all year. If we have everyone healthy and we play the best game of the season while Florida plays their worst we may even snag them. But I believe you would agree that Arkansas is more probable.
Scotty doesn't know Wrote:EXACTLY! So I think Arkansas is our best bet for an upset. Like you said things have to fall into place. Heck it will be like that all year. If we have everyone healthy and we play the best game of the season while Florida plays their worst we may even snag them. But I believe you would agree that Arkansas is more probable.

Saying it and doing it are two very different things. Like I said, every team they play will try to stuff the run and force the pass, and if it was that easy to do it Arkansas would go winless in the SEC! Darren McFadden is a beast, and he will not be easy to stop.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
More Cowbell Wrote:Saying it and doing it are two very different things. Like I said, every team they play will try to stuff the run and force the pass, and if it was that easy to do it Arkansas would go winless in the SEC! Darren McFadden is a beast, and he will not be easy to stop.

I know man. I just think that their offense has no chance of beating ours in a game even if they turn out to be more than just a running team. I like our chances with JUST McFadden as their big weapon.
Scotty doesn't know Wrote:I know man. I just think that their offense has no chance of beating ours in a game even if they turn out to be more than just a running team. I like our chances with JUST McFadden as their big weapon.

Whoa now, I wouldn't go so far as to say that either. I think Arkansas has a very good chance of outscoring ours that day, after all, wouldn't that win the game for the Hogs? While I think UK has a shot at an upset in this game, I didn't pick it as a win for the Cats and I don't expect them to win at Arkansas' place.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
More Cowbell Wrote:Whoa now, I wouldn't go so far as to say that either. I think Arkansas has a very good chance of outscoring ours that day, after all, wouldn't that win the game for the Hogs? While I think UK has a shot at an upset in this game, I didn't pick it as a win for the Cats and I don't expect them to win at Arkansas' place.

Well I did not think that through...I actually meant that making their passing game beat us....not just offensive game beat us lol. They got that whipped in the form of McFadden. I just meant that I think our passing weapons should overpower their running weapon. Arkansas 2/3 of their offensive is probably centered around running whereas UK's is 2/3 around passing.

I just think we have a good shot of beating them. I will say. 49% with that one percent going to Ark. for being at home. I maybe giving UK more credit then they deserve but I have alot of faith in them for this year.
Scotty doesn't know Wrote:Well I did not think that through...I actually meant that making their passing game beat us....not just offensive game beat us lol. They got that whipped in the form of McFadden. I just meant that I think our passing weapons should overpower their running weapon. Arkansas 2/3 of their offensive is probably centered around running whereas UK's is 2/3 around passing.

I just think we have a good shot of beating them. I will say. 49% with that one percent going to Ark. for being at home. I maybe giving UK more credit then they deserve but I have alot of faith in them for this year.

In my opinion, Arkansas' running game is more potent than UK's passing attack. I actually would give UK a lot more credit for being balanced on offense than Arkansas, though, since Rafael Little easily beats whatever lame passing game the Hogs' QB can muster.

While UK's offense probably gets the nod, the Cats' defense will likely fall well short in comparison to the Hogs. That is where I believe Arkansas has the edge, not to mention playing at home.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
As far as productivity goes I think the overall offensive is more than likely a wash (I will look into it). But you are right about the defense they will be the main factor to that game.
Scotty doesn't know Wrote:Well I did not think that through...I actually meant that making their passing game beat us....not just offensive game beat us lol. They got that whipped in the form of McFadden. I just meant that I think our passing weapons should overpower their running weapon. Arkansas 2/3 of their offensive is probably centered around running whereas UK's is 2/3 around passing.

A 49% chance is probably a little too high, I would say more like about a 30% chance UK would win. Not great, but still a decent shot.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
More Cowbell Wrote:A 49% chance is probably a little too high, I would say more like about a 30% chance UK would win. Not great, but still a decent shot.

I guess I maybe hopeing that the defenses cancel out. But still I will take into consideration that Ark. defense is better so I will take that down to around a 40%-43%. Arkansas two biggest factors... Defense and homefield.
UK's defense was ranked around the bottom of NCAA division I-A last year, so they really have nowhere to go but up (unless they stay right whee they were, LOL). Still, you would have to give the edge, at least on paper, to Arkansas.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]