Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Griffey Talking Trade
Ken Griffey Jr. told ESPN's Peter "the guru" Gammons that he expects to be traded by the August 31st non-waiver trade deadline...

Wayne Krivsky is in denial..."I'm not going to talk about lists," Krivsky said. "I don't have a list. Some guys are harder to trade for contractual reasons. But I'm not going to get into untouchables."

http://frontier.cincinnati.com/blogs/red...e-talk.asp

Will the Reds start a fire sale?
Sell 'em all.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
ComfortEagle Wrote:Sell 'em all.

I'm keeping Bailey, Harang, Arroyo, Phillips, Encarnarcion, Ross, Gonzo and Freel...Not to mention the younger bullpen arms like Coutlangus and Mcbeth.

I think trading Junior would be a PR disaster.
McBeth is pathetic!
I'm a big Junior fan. But right now, you've got to start building for the future. I like the idea of building around Harang, Encarnacion, and Freel. I like Bailey, Arroyo, Denorfia, Coutelangus, and let's see what Livingston and Votto can do. We've got to start shipping these guys who make boatloads of money and don't live up to the paycheck. The season may very well be over with, so let's start selling and begin building for the future.
I say trade Dunn or both of them. But if they plan on keeping one, I say keep Griffey! Griffey brings in alot more merchandise and is a hometown boy who is getting close to alot of numbers that will sellout ALOT of games in the future!
StrikeoutKing Wrote:I'm a big Junior fan. But right now, you've got to start building for the future. I like the idea of building around Harang, Encarnacion, and Freel. I like Bailey, Arroyo, Denorfia, Coutelangus, and let's see what Livingston and Votto can do. We've got to start shipping these guys who make boatloads of money and don't live up to the paycheck. The season may very well be over with, so let's start selling and begin building for the future.

Denorfia's gone, dude. The Reds traded him a couple months ago for one of their young bullpen arms, Marcus McBeth. He is a guy I have high hopes for, just like Coutlangus. He may have been knocked around a bit, but he is just a rookie and he will get better.
SHELBY VALLEY WILDCATS - 2010 KHSAA STATE CHAMPIONS

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
jammin' jamey Wrote:I'm keeping Bailey, Harang, Arroyo, Phillips, Encarnarcion, Ross, Gonzo and Freel...Not to mention the younger bullpen arms like Coutlangus and Mcbeth.

I think trading Junior would be a PR disaster.

My mind is on the Smokey Mountains and it's obvious I'm having a hard time concentrating on sports (especially the Reds) because I failed to mention that would KEEP Josh Hamilton as well...Big Grin
I am all for Josh Hamilton also!
Actually the non waiver trade deadline is July 31st...the "must clear waivers" deadline is Aug 31st.
I say alot of things are about to get interesting in baseball! And I think alot of shockers and eye opening trades with the way baseball is. It is the "what are you doing for me today" attitude and pressure that coaches and GM's are dealing with in todays game of baseball!
trading JR that would be a huge mistake now, the Reds won 5 of 6 going to break they might coming together now.
I think the season is way beyond saving so go ahead and try to get some talking done. Last time i did some research, both trades for Griffey and Dunn did not look like they would give much back at all. The only thing that the Reds could do right now is pretty much free up all of that tied up money without getting any players back in return. Also, I think Krivsky wants a big trade if he is going to be giving up these guys. Along with freeing up the money, he wants a addition to the team that will be able to contribute. I agree with this stand because I don't want to trade Griffey just for the sake of trading him, if it is going to happen then the Reds should get a nice player in return.
I just know that they need a BIG change somewhere! Some kind of spark and hope for the best!
Scotty doesn't know Wrote:I think the season is way beyond saving so go ahead and try to get some talking done. Last time i did some research, both trades for Griffey and Dunn did not look like they would give much back at all. The only thing that the Reds could do right now is pretty much free up all of that tied up money without getting any players back in return. Also, I think Krivsky wants a big trade if he is going to be giving up these guys. Along with freeing up the money, he wants a addition to the team that will be able to contribute. I agree with this stand because I don't want to trade Griffey just for the sake of trading him, if it is going to happen then the Reds should get a nice player in return.

Usually there is a trade-off of sorts when you deal a high-salaried player like Griffey or Dunn. If the Reds agree to pay part of their salary, then they will get back a better package of players in return. If not, then the players offered will not be as attractive. Personally, I think the Reds should pay part of the salary and get a better player back.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
More Cowbell Wrote:Usually there is a trade-off of sorts when you deal a high-salaried player like Griffey or Dunn. If the Reds agree to pay part of their salary, then they will get back a better package of players in return. If not, then the players offered will not be as attractive. Personally, I think the Reds should pay part of the salary and get a better player back.

I agree with you on that. I wonder if we will actually see anything soon? I just want to hurry and start building for next year.
But there isn't alot of players available to really take a chance on! So many players are getting no trade clauses in there contracts because it boosts there contract up tremendously when they sign that!
I'd like to see Griffey in Atlanta. Atlanta would have an awesome outfield with Griffey, Francouer, and Jones, but thats probley unlikley. If they do trade Griffey than they need to get a few good relief pitchers. Cincinnati's relief pitching is horrible.
PLAYBOY5 Wrote:But there isn't alot of players available to really take a chance on! So many players are getting no trade clauses in there contracts because it boosts there contract up tremendously when they sign that!
I don't believe the trade veto clause can be built into just any contract.
It is earned based on major league service and years with a particular team...it's widely called 5-10 player.
I believe that means a player 5 years with same team/10 years major league service.

But, I agree playboy...there isn't a lot out there.
If they trade JR or Dunn dont expect anything in return but prospects. Teams willing to take these guys are going to be in contention and they arent going to give up starting or relief pitching.
Tubby Hater Wrote:If they trade JR or Dunn dont expect anything in return but prospects. Teams willing to take these guys are going to be in contention and they arent going to give up starting or relief pitching.

If that is the case then I don't know if a deal will be reached very soon.
FOX SPORTS Wrote:I don't believe the trade veto clause can be built into just any contract.
It is earned based on major league service and years with a particular team...it's widely called 5-10 player.
I believe that means a player 5 years with same team/10 years major league service.

But, I agree playboy...there isn't a lot out there.

You are right that any player that is considered 5/10 has the right to veto any trade. However, any player could have a no-trade clause in their contract if they demanded it and the club was willing to give it. I've seen weirder things put in baseball players' contracts before, like making all the salary figures end in a certain number like all 3's, etc...

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
the reds need to trade dunn for young talent like Josh Willingham from Florida Marlins
they could trade griffey dunn and weathers for a 1or 2 great relief pitchers