Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Estill County 2019
14th region fanman Wrote:Who did they hire to be the head coach? If the coaching will be greatly improved.

That’s a bold statement to make, the lady has coached in this region for 13 years and won about 167 of a possible 172 games in region. If the coaching is gonna be greatly improved the new coach will have to win 168 out of 172 games to be better than her.

I am a fan of ALL Estill sports, but lets face it, the vast majority of the time, Estill has went 0-2 in the state tournament when they get there. That's where the coaching will improve. Not at all saying what Beard accomplished is anything short of stellar in region play, it is absolutely unheard of. With that said, the talent level at Estill compared to other region teams is off the charts (Most years anyway) so winning the region is a thing that, as an Estill fan, should be normal. They have to take the next step to be respected state wide.
Sounds to me like most of you on here doesn't know coach Beard very well. The reason for her success has many aspects, I've had 3 play under coach Beard and her attributes far exceed any that I've seen in most high schools. Coach Beard will be greatly missed especially early on the game has changed a lot and she adjust well to the changes. I hope Estill and the powers that be go out of the county to find someone well versed in softball and keep the winning tradition going. Living in Estill county like most small communities rumors are rampant. We have people in charge of our schools who have children that play sports and it is the good ole boy system ...when I was in high school I realized quickly board members children, coaches children, and anyone in the higher arch of the politcal realm got more attention than a poor kid who good play rings around some who where starting, coach Beard always to my knowledge treated all her players with respect and dignity....hated to see her go but I understand why.
I'd hire her head assistant and not change a thing.
i think i heard he stepped out as his girl graduated last year
booger bear Wrote:i think i heard he stepped out as his girl graduated last year

He did. Shirley's assistants for this coming year were Chad Hunter and Cassidy Flynn.

I think Coach Wood's wife will be retiring from the school system next month if I'm not mistaken. She's the current AD.
Dark horse knows what’s going on in Irvine. Doesn’t take a mental heavy weight to figure this one out.
Coach Kaylor is already making changes to the schedule. Has dropped both Rowan County and Lawrence County.
Not to mention changing the lineup from what some thought it would be. I reckon she’s in it to win games. Great!! So....big difference of how the program was ran for many years.
This is just a really stupid post. To try to make it out that Coach Beard wasn’t trying to win games and didn’t at a high rate is just stupid. The new coach might win the state title this season but that doesn’t take away what Coach beard did for 20 years.
Maybe Lowdown is sayin it’s like driving a sports car, she can usually pass everybody say at 1/2 to 3/4 throttle, and this new driver is planning on putting the pedal to the metal. Is that good or bad? I’m not judging, time will tell.
Chill out Reds#1 fan!!! Don’t get all butt hurt. I’m just saying this new coach will be nothing less than full throttle. Not dogging Coach Beard in any way. She was a wonderful person and steward for the game and especially awesome for Estill county. Everyone in the county and those in and outside softball loves her. It’s just that sometimes there’s a need for change. Winning was important...but not the only thing. She played tough competition to prepare her kids for post season. Seasonal losses were not horrible in her eyes. The new coach will be good for the county just like Coach Beard...but winning not only seasonal games but the post season as well will be very important to this coach. As an outsider...it seemed as if the Estill regime was ok with just getting to state...not winning it. That attitude will be different now.
Lowdown Wrote:Not to mention changing the lineup from what some thought it would be. I reckon she’s in it to win games. Great!! So....big difference of how the program was ran for many years.

She really must be good if she is already making the lineup out 4 weeks before the first real game is played.

Reading all of these post are crazy. She won the region every year estill has been in it but a couple and your trying to down her post season success.

You keep talking about wanting to win the state tourney not just get there.
How many times has estill won the state in any sport?

Be real, any other school in the state would be happy with winning a region title 12 out of 14 years or whatever she won it.

Be like OVC schools in basketball being pissed off about just making the ncaa tourney and not winning it. If Murray State won the ovc tourney 10 straight years and never won a game in the ncaa. Whoever coaches them would get a huge pay raise.

But if your coaching estill softball and you do that. You getting pushed out the door and people are talking about how great your successer is gonna be even tho she has yet to win a game.

I don’t envy her job,
She must win the region
And she must win games at state tourney
In order to have a successful season at estill.

That’s setting a huge bar really high for any school. Especially one with so many state championships.
Exactly, this coach hasn’t won 1 GAME yet and you are putting the pressure on her to win the region and games at the state tournament or she’s a failure. Facts are very few teams east of Lexington have had success at the state tournament. Sure teams come along from time to time like East Carter and just have a dominant pitcher and win at the state level but year in year out it doesn’t happeen.
I understand where Reds#1fan and 14th region fanman are coming from. You are very correct in so many different ways. Coming across the wrong way was not my intent. Also, I shouldn’t set those goals so high for a new coach and I would never take anything away from Coach Beard’s wins and tenure as softball coach. She deserves every accolade that she ever earned. I should’ve just left it as simple as the new coach will be different. No two coaches are alike...no two people are alike. They have different philosophies and that is very normal. Only thing I was saying is that at this stage of the game...Estill softball has become somewhat a lot like the Ky wildcats. The softball team...until just last year..minus the band...were the only Estill team that could compete and win a region title from one year to the next. At some point..like we have with the cats...people have expectations when the team has constantly reached a certain pinnacle. And at some point...you want to exceed that highest point and go a little further. Not to ever put unneeded pressure on the new coach or players. I just know that the fan base would love to reach a new goal of winning a game at state.
Believe it or not their is a lot of people in Estill that was glad to see this change (I'm not one of them, I love Coach Beard. Her husband was my principal when I was in elementary school). She had some post season success at the state tournament throughout her career, espeically when she first started taking Estill to the state tournament. Estill took eventual state champions, Owensboro Catholic into 10 innings before Owensboro Catholic squeezed one out 2-1. If Estill had won that game then they probably would have won the state tournament.

Coach Beard's success is tremendous and has been tremendous. I hope Coach Kaylor can continue the tradition. Big shoes to fill.
Strikeout King Wrote:Coach Kaylor is already making changes to the schedule. Has dropped both Rowan County and Lawrence County.

I don’t think it was Coach Kaylor’s decision, I heard it was Rowan and Lawrence that cancelled.
Smokescreen Wrote:I don’t think it was Coach Kaylor’s decision, I heard it was Rowan and Lawrence that cancelled.

I think you are correct. Rowan and Lawrence are both playing a triangle at Lawrence now.

Has Coach Kaylor added anymore games to the schedule? It looks really thin on the riheards.
Don’t think so, I think those two was the only ones dropped, so they have 32 games on their schedule, before postseason. That’s not to bad.
Also, I am told that Rowan and Lawrence both called within mins to cancel their games (triangle) with Estill. Hmmmmm something smells fishy.
It is big shoes to fill with Coach Beard leaving, but Coach Kaylor will not have one problem doing that. Coach Kaylor really knows how to coach those girls and get things done. Sure the first game hasn't even been played yet, but I am sure it will all go well with how she is running things right now.
So Harrison County has updated KHSAA and suppose to be playing Rowan County on May 11th at Estill in a triangle. Rowan and Lawrence had cancelled. Is Rowan back on Estill's schedule?
Harrison County and Estill County ar eplaying eachother on May 11th. Wonder who the third opponent is? Rowan County is not the third team even tho they are listed on KHSAA.
Bulldogs4Ever Wrote:Lacy Davidson is the best hitter in the region. May not be on the best team but nobody can hit it as far or as consistant as her. Kid is dangerous.

Who is this Lacy Davidson? And who does she play for?
Just got thru watching the Regional Tournament and didn’t see anyone by that name. Did she get hurt? Transfer?
Just curious.
Strikeout King Wrote:Can Estill keep up their dominance in the region again next year or will a new champion emerge? Estill lost a ton but return a lot of very good/key players including Kaylee Riddle, Estill's heavy hitter.

I've heard through Onlinesbi sudoku aadhar card the grapevine that Estill is hosting both Rowan and Harrison in a triangle. Estill should also be hosting South Laurel last Friday of regular season

She played tough competition to prepare her kids for post season. Seasonal losses were not horrible in her eyes. The new coach will be good for the county just like Coach Beard...