Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do the Reds have a shot in the second half?
82 games down and the Reds find themselves in the basement of the NL Central...Before Jerry Narron was shown the door, the Reds were 17 games behind the Milwaukee Brewers. They now find themselves 13 games back and 5-1 under new interim manager Pete Machanin (or as the Cincy media calls him "MachanWIN).

The NL Central is weak and it's safe to say that the Milwaukee Brewers are vulerable in the upcoming pennant chase. The Cubs have shown flashes of being a contender. The Cardinals are still the defending World Champs. The Astros have been really been in a funk throughout the first half much like Cincinnati. The Pirates young pitchers are not turning the corner and their offense is struggling.

Can the Reds put it together in the 2nd half? Will they be sellers or buyers by the July 31st non-wavier trade deadline? If they are sellers, do you wipe the slate clean with Adam Dunn or Griffey or both being traded?

Or will the Reds continue to win with Eddie Guardado and Bill Bray returning very soon to the bullpen?

Maybe the new-ness of the atmosphere will die down and Reds will not contend?

What say you??????
I hope that the Reds are sellers, for sure. If they aren't, or especially if they are buyers, then somebody better check Krivsky to see if he has found his bong from college.

This team, while it has been fun to see them win for a change, is still 16 games under .500 for the year. While they could still make a run at it, I still think they are much better off shipping some of their valuable parts for prospects. Heck, with the way Hatteberg has been playing, he may bring a much better return than anyone would've imagined. Also, Weathers could bring something good, too; playoff teams are always looking for bullpen help.

I am also not opposed to trading Dunn or Griffey, so long as they get a good return. We don't need to trade them, so don't do it for the sake of doing it. If teams are going to lowball you, tell them where to stick it and keep both players.
SHELBY VALLEY WILDCATS - 2010 KHSAA STATE CHAMPIONS

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
They could find themselves within reaching distance based on the fact they have so many games left with the Brewers, but I find it highly unlikely.
Fenix Wrote:They could find themselves within reaching distance based on the fact they have so many games left with the Brewers, but I find it highly unlikely.

That is true about having a bunch of games with the Brewers. I was just thinking the other day it seemed like we've hardly played them at all, so I went and check the Reds' schedule. They have only played 2 games with the Brew Crew, and still have 13 left with them. Weird scheduling by the league office.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
It's doubtful, but I hope and pray that they do.
Not with the pitching the have.
The Reds are done!!! and have been since May 15.

The sell-off will begin shortly after the all star break and hopefully Krivsky will get more this time than the sick arms he got last sell-off.

Griffey has a no trade clause and could veto any trade talks...Dunn may bring the most bang(to Cincy) to a contender.
OffTheHook Wrote:Not with the pitching the have.
Took my post right out of my mouth!
They are done. Not a snowballs chance in...
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
they do have a chance but i hate beat a dead horse bullpen,bullpen,and bullpen call me old school or what ever you want i think a closer should throw mid to upper 90"s.
rallo316 Wrote:they do have a chance but i hate beat a dead horse bullpen,bullpen,and bullpen call me old school or what ever you want i think a closer should throw mid to upper 90"s.
Then it isn't going to happen unless they use Harang/Bailey/Arroyo EVERY GAME..Use a 3 man rotation just like High School, lol!
FOX SPORTS Wrote:Griffey has a no trade clause and could veto any trade talks...Dunn may bring the most bang(to Cincy) to a contender.

Dunn is essentially a free agent if traded this year because the $13 million option for next year is voided if he doesn't finish the season with the Reds. Highly unlikely the Reds get anybody of substance for him unless a team like the Padres are just flat out desperate for offense and can work out some kind of deal with Dunn to keep him for multiple years.

A Griffey trade is highly unlikey in my opinion simply because he's close to 600 homers, which will draw a crowd once the Reds flame out during their upcoming road trip.

I think the newness of Pete MachanWIN will wear off this week, the law of averages will catch up with the Reds and this team will settle back into their losing ways again. Although, it would be nice to continue to see this club overachieve. Big Grin
Wasn't it last season, the Minnesota Twins seemed to be finished, only to come back and win the Division? And that was in the MUCH stronger AL Central. Are the Reds finished? Maybe. Their bullpen is HORRIBLE, HORRIBLE, HORRIBLE. And did I mention HORRIBLE? If they have ANY chance, they need to add some bullpen help, but I don't know if you wanna take a risk at bringing someone in being 13 games back. I hope they somehow turn things around, but I honestly don't see it happening. When you have a starter leaving a game with a 3-1 lead after 8 innings, there is NO REASON to have him get a no decision. 'NUFF SAID!
PLAYBOY5 Wrote:Then it isn't going to happen unless they use Harang/Bailey/Arroyo EVERY GAME..Use a 3 man rotation just like High School, lol!
3 man rotation talk about some tired arms.
PLAYBOY5 Wrote:Then it isn't going to happen unless they use Harang/Bailey/Arroyo EVERY GAME..Use a 3 man rotation just like High School, lol!

I don't think Belisle has pitched that poorly, considering he is the fourth/fifth statrter. His numbers (5-6, 5.28) aren't terribly impressive, but they aren't bad for the back end of the rotation and he has averaged 6 innings per start. You can't expect every starter to have a winning record.

What has been disappointing is the inconsistency shown by our #2 and #3 guys, Arroyo (3-9, 4.84) and Lohse (5-10, 4.47). They have had spotty run support at times, but they have also had some very poorly pitched games.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
More Cowbell Wrote:I don't think Belisle has pitched that poorly, considering he is the fourth/fifth statrter. His numbers (5-6, 5.28) aren't terribly impressive, but they aren't bad for the back end of the rotation and he has averaged 6 innings per start. You can't expect every starter to have a winning record.

What has been disappointing is the inconsistency shown by our #2 and #3 guys, Arroyo (3-9, 4.84) and Lohse (5-10, 4.47). They have had spotty run support at times, but they have also had some very poorly pitched games.

With Loshe and Arroyo, you should see an improved second half of the season. Both of these guys have been streaky and are due to get their stuff together. In the first half Loshe either pitched great or got blasted in every. Arroyo on the other hand had a big stent of the season where the bats where not giving him support. These where games that he gave the team good chances to win but they just did not get more than 1 or 2 runs in support. However, his stuff detiorated for about a month and he seemed to have lost alot of confidence. In his recent starts he has pitched well and has seemed to be on the way back up. I believe that the second half will be better for both of these pitchers but as for strengthening the team to the point that they could make the playoffs...I don't really know about that.
Guys, I was saying this sarcastically about a 3 man rotation, jeesh
PLAYBOY5 Wrote:Guys, I was saying this sarcastically about a 3 man rotation, jeesh

I know you didn't actually want the Reds to go with a 3-man rotation, I was just pointing out that the back end of the rotation hasn't been this team's downfall. Belisle has been acceptable as a 4th/5th starter, but the 2nd/3rd starters have been a letdown. And of course, a lion's share of the blame goes to the bullpen.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
What scares me about Bailey is that 2 of his last 3 starts he has looked like the pitchers that were throwing to the batters in home run derby!!
we can only hope
Bailey is young though and will make mistakes as most young pitchers do!
More Cowbell Wrote:I don't think Belisle has pitched that poorly, considering he is the fourth/fifth statrter. His numbers (5-6, 5.28) aren't terribly impressive, but they aren't bad for the back end of the rotation and he has averaged 6 innings per start. You can't expect every starter to have a winning record.

The Reds have lost the last 6 starts that Belisle has made, and it's usually because he has one bad inning. Hopefully he'll work it out sooner than later because he's the odd man out right now if the Reds want to try someone else from Louisville.

As for Lohse, since giving up 8 earned runs to Seattle, he's thrown two gems and lowered his ERA from 5.02 to 4.47. He's all about location and if he doesn't have it on any given start, he'll get beat around because he doesn't have the fastball to blow by hitters.

Arroyo has suffered from a tired pitching arm, but I look for him to be better in the second half with extended rest and having his spot pushed back in the rotation.
bball fan Wrote:What scares me about Bailey is that 2 of his last 3 starts he has looked like the pitchers that were throwing to the batters in home run derby!!

So did Tom Glavine, Greg Maddux, John Smoltz and any other rookie pitcher that hit the big leagues. There aren't too many rookie pitchers who come up and blow hitters away night-in-and-night-out like Doc Gooden (who flammed out with drugs).
umm NO
jammin' jamey Wrote:The Reds have lost the last 6 starts that Belisle has made, and it's usually because he has one bad inning. Hopefully he'll work it out sooner than later because he's the odd man out right now if the Reds want to try someone else from Louisville.

As for Lohse, since giving up 8 earned runs to Seattle, he's thrown two gems and lowered his ERA from 5.02 to 4.47. He's all about location and if he doesn't have it on any given start, he'll get beat around because he doesn't have the fastball to blow by hitters.

Arroyo has suffered from a tired pitching arm, but I look for him to be better in the second half with extended rest and having his spot pushed back in the rotation.

They may have lost the last few Belisle has started, but on the whole he hasn't pitched that bad. I still say that 5-6 and 5.28 are not bad numbers for the back end of the rotation. Plus, he has averaged 6 innings per start, so it's not like he's getting knocked out early and burning out the bullpen. Really, if he is the worst the rotation has to offer, we aren't in that bad of shape. He is a young guy in his first full season as a starter, and he has performed adequately, IMO. He may not ever do as well as Harang and Arroyo, but that's why they get paid the big bucks. Big Grin

I do agree about Arroyo having a tired arm. He is slightly built, and is probably feeling the effects of throwing a lot of innings last year. I, too, hope that some extra rest will help him regain his previous form.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
The Reds need players who are fundamentally solid. Players who know how to play the game, put the ball in play when it needs to be in play, role players and solid pitching! Instead, they have a lineup who can hit 600 HR's a year but bats 245. that isn't going to win you games! Sure it puts fans in the seats because, me as much as the next guy likes to see the longball! But I would rather have a guy 3-4 with a double than a guy go 1-5 with a HR and 4 K's! And the Reds have that all up and down the lineup! And pitching, well my gosh, where do I get the book published?
jammin' jamey Wrote:Dunn is essentially a free agent if traded this year because the $13 million option for next year is voided if he doesn't finish the season with the Reds. Highly unlikely the Reds get anybody of substance for him unless a team like the Padres are just flat out desperate for offense and can work out some kind of deal with Dunn to keep him for multiple years.
You are correct.
Depends on ones definition of substance...The Reds could pick up some pitching Prospects(minor leaguers) or maybe a real third baseman for Dunn to the right team.
FOX SPORTS Wrote:You are correct.
Depends on ones definition of substance...The Reds could pick up some pitching Prospects(minor leaguers) or maybe a real third baseman for Dunn to the right team.

Do you think that the Reds would almost be willing to part with Dunn just to get rid of his contract. That means maybe a prospect in return from whoever picks up his contract (which is up at the end of the year if traded).

I wonder how low the Reds will go to free up that money that Dunner has tied up.
I think for Dunn that they could get a solid 3rd baseban AND a solid pitching prospect!
I'm not ready to give up on Encarnancion as our third baseman just yet. He has actually hit quite well since being called back up from the minors. Until we know that EE is going to be a bust, I don't think obtaining a 3rd base prospect should be high on our agenda. Although, I guess you could easily switch him to the outfield or first if you wanted to...

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]