Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reds Fire Narron!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
CINCINNATI (AP) - Manager Jerry Narron was fired Sunday night by the Cincinnati Reds, who raised their payroll and their expectations in the offseason only to find themselves with the worst record in the major leagues.

The Reds became the second team to change managers Sunday. Earlier in the day, Seattle's Mike Hargrove resigned.

Narron was the second big league manager to be fired this season. Baltimore's Sam Perlozzo lost his job on June 18 after the last-place Orioles couldn't shake another losing streak.
The Reds have been far worse, setting a pace for their first 100-loss season since 1982. With no improvement in sight and attendance starting to lag, the club decided to dump its low-key manager. The move came a few hours after an 11-7 loss to the St. Louis Cardinals that left the Reds at 31-51, the worst record in the majors.

COMING FROM FOXSPORTS!!
WOW! I guess it was inevitable that this would happen quickly. I just didn't think it would be at this time. Well Krivsky what is your next move my risky friend.
Had to happen. It can't get any worse, but they didn't give much to work with with pitching.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
I wonder who will be next in the Reds dealings (trade, firing, whatever etc.) I would say Griffey will be next. Hate to say it but Krivsky does not seem hesitate to start the shifting (even though he started a little too late with Narron), so Griffey is probably next.
Not that I put all the blame for this season on Narron (there's plenty to go around), but I thought this was a move that had to be done. I always disagreed with his use of the pitching staff, and also felt he juggled the lineup way too much.

Probably most disappointing was how every spring, he talked about how the Reds were stressing fundamentals, then they go out during the season and look like the most fundamentally unsound team out there. Numerous errors, inability to lay down bunts, not getting runners in from 3rd w/ less than 2 outs, it was just a broken record. Now, I know the players have to go out and do those things, but when you make a big deal out of saying that they will be improved, then the team goes out and does the same stuff again and again, it makes you look like a putz.
SHELBY VALLEY WILDCATS - 2010 KHSAA STATE CHAMPIONS

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Loooooooooong overdue
IMO, this sucks. Narron is not the hittin coach or the pitchin coach. He doesn't take the swings or perfect strikes down the middle, he doesn't blow saves. These players are PROFESSIONALS. If they can't hit, get rid of em etc.
blame has to be put on players as well the coaches but it don"t work that way.
-STATS- Wrote:Loooooooooong overdue

i agree
More Cowbell Wrote:Not that I put all the blame for this season on Narron (there's plenty to go around), but I thought this was a move that had to be done. I always disagreed with his use of the pitching staff, and also felt he juggled the lineup way too much.

Probably most disappointing was how every spring, he talked about how the Reds were stressing fundamentals, then they go out during the season and look like the most fundamentally unsound team out there. Numerous errors, inability to lay down bunts, not getting runners in from 3rd w/ less than 2 outs, it was just a broken record. Now, I know the players have to go out and do those things, but when you make a big deal out of saying that they will be improved, then the team goes out and does the same stuff again and again, it makes you look like a putz.

Exactly. He preached playing the game the right way and it never happened and somone has to be held accountable.

Although in his defense, the bullpen has lost 18 games (most in baseball) and attitudes are horrible on this club, just look at Junior and Dunn, it's like they are wondering why other players try so hard like Ryan Freel.

I'm all for the change, as long as the Reds wait and find someone once the season is over that is a proven winner with experience and the Reds make some player moves because finding re-tread relief pitchers hoping they over-achieve when they become Reds.
Should I act suprised ?
Scotty doesn't know Wrote:I wonder who will be next in the Reds dealings (trade, firing, whatever etc.) I would say Griffey will be next. Hate to say it but Krivsky does not seem hesitate to start the shifting (even though he started a little too late with Narron), so Griffey is probably next.

I don't see Krivsky getting rid of Griffey. He's the only reason fans will still come to the games, they surely don't come to watch the reds go for 100 losses.
Fenix Wrote:I don't see Krivsky getting rid of Griffey. He's the only reason fans will still come to the games, they surely don't come to watch the reds go for 100 losses.

I was leaning toward Dunn then I thought that Griffey is suppose to be the one who whats out. I guess it is a toss up as to who will be the next to be moved. How many more people come out to watch the Reds lose just because they have Griffey. I guess some people may but to keep a nice steady crowd it is all about those wins.

More Cowbell I agree with you about Narron's fundamentals and also with you Jammin Jamey about the attitudes on the team. I think the Reds nation agrees that Narron did his best but it is just time for yet another change.
Scotty doesn't know Wrote:I was leaning toward Dunn then I thought that Griffey is suppose to be the one who whats out. I guess it is a toss up as to who will be the next to be moved. How many more people come out to watch the Reds lose just because they have Griffey. I guess some people may but to keep a nice steady crowd it is all about those wins.

More Cowbell I agree with you about Narron's fundamentals and also with you Jammin Jamey about the attitudes on the team. I think the Reds nation agrees that Narron did his best but it is just time for yet another change.

I agree about wins being the thing that will put people in the seats, but Griffey's climb up the homerun list does help out. I would personally rather see Griffey traded than Dunn for the longterm benefit of the team.
Fenix Wrote:I agree about wins being the thing that will put people in the seats, but Griffey's climb up the homerun list does help out. I would personally rather see Griffey traded than Dunn for the longterm benefit of the team.

Well you see Dunn will ALWAYS give you homeruns. But that is it!!! That is the catch 22 with Dunn, since he will always hit the homers he can always demand the big bucks. Eventhough he will hit the ususal 35-40 homeruns a year, the Reds don't get the benefit of his contract. It is either homerun or strikeout, one or the other. I would say at least half of the time he strikes out. I just don't see how that justifies Dunn being the Reds "future" when he don't actually help the team the way a staple player should.

So to sum up, I hope the big Donkey will be hitting the road for the benefit of the Reds (in my mind Griffey is still more probable).
Scotty doesn't know Wrote:Well you see Dunn will ALWAYS give you homeruns. But that is it!!! That is the catch 22 with Dunn, since he will always hit the homers he can always demand the big bucks. Eventhough he will hit the ususal 35-40 homeruns a year, the Reds don't get the benefit of his contract. It is either homerun or strikeout, one or the other. I would say at least half of the time he strikes out. I just don't see how that justifies Dunn being the Reds "future" when he don't actually help the team the way a staple player should.

So to sum up, I hope the big Donkey will be hitting the road for the benefit of the Reds (in my mind Griffey is still more probable).

I think if Dunn would be more agressive at the plate instead of taking so many strikes he would put the ball in play more. It's almost like he goes up there to take a strike or two everytime. Who would you like the third outfielder to be if Dunn of Griffey were traded?
Fenix Wrote:I think if Dunn would be more agressive at the plate instead of taking so many strikes he would put the ball in play more. It's almost like he goes up there to take a strike or two everytime. Who would you like the third outfielder to be if Dunn of Griffey were traded?

Well, Freel and Hamilton was alternating until Freel got hurt so I am guessing it would be Freel/Hopper, Griffey or Dunn, Hamilton. I think that one of the heavy hitters may be gone by the time the next season rolls around. Anyways, Hamilton is the future of this club along with Baily and EE (when playing well) so he will be out there. Freel is a reat asset to the team when he is healthy so he will get at least part time out there and I hope Griffey or Dunn will be the other spot.
next order of business is to teach Homer Bailey some other pitch beside the fastball ST.Louis teed off on him.
Bucky Dent out as bench coach.
rallo316 Wrote:Bucky Dent out as bench coach.

Thanks for the info! Come on Krivsky just go for a clean sweep! I wonder who will be next?
rallo316 Wrote:Bucky Dent out as bench coach.

Dent was Jerry Narron's first hire and I understand that Dent didn't take to well to being fired!

Anything less than a big name taking over the managerial position will be a disappointment for me. Mackanin deserves to keep the job is this team has a miraculous turnaround and I mean miraculous. Smile

He had the team taking infield/outfield practice today...:o
I said at the time they hired Narron that they could do better than him. But until they decide to do something about the pitching.....it won't matter who they hire.
Bengal Cat Wrote:I said at the time they hired Narron that they could do better than him. But until they decide to do something about the pitching.....it won't matter who they hire.

It would've been hard for Bobby Cox to have won with that sorry bullpen. Think about what the record would be if the team had even won at least half of the games the bullpen blew. Instead of 20 games under, they would be right around .500, still in shouting distance of the playoffs. Instead, the team is on pace for a 100-loss season, mainly due to one of the most poorly constructed bullpens in recent memory. Krivsky has to feel some heat for this, although I have generally approved of his moves as GM.

That said, I still thought Narron did not do a good job with this group, and I think the firing was justifiable, maybe even a little overdue.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Gosh, todays (7-4-07) pitching was as bad as I HAVE EVER seen in a game! They minds well just put a Tee at home plate for the opposing team and just let them knock the damnnit out of it!
i was at both games the past two days and i saw in the cincy newspaper the front runner for the postion was joe giradi and they were going to contact torre and la russa
Grand Slam Wrote:i was at both games the past two days and i saw in the cincy newspaper the front runner for the postion was joe giradi and they were going to contact torre and la russa

I would love to get LaRussa, and I also wouldn't mind if it was a package deal with their GM, Walt Jocketty (as has been rumored). Don't get me wrong, I like Wayne Krivsky, but Jocketty is one of the best GM's in baseball.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Man I never would have thought it could possibly pan out like this. If we get La Russa, hopefully more fans will come out to the games. We can restructure that team, get back on track, and have a great, proven manager. I am actually kind of excited now! Something I have not been able to say since spring training.