Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is Jeff Norman The New Morgan Co. Coach?
I've heard that former Rowan assistant coach Jeff Norman has unofficially accepted the Morgan co. job. He coached at Rowan for 2 years and left with Rowan's coach and was at Western last season. He has 3 years highschool coaching experience and coached some gradeschool football as well. He was the O-line coach for Rowan.Can anyone confirm if there's any truth to this??? Smile Smile :mad: :confused: This is what's going around just wondering if anyone can confirm this??
Some folks from Rowan today were saying he was like an equiptment manager at Rowan and Western. They did confirm he was a Defensive coordinator for the 5th grade team few years ago. Just what some folks from Rowan said. Can anyone give us any info about the new "COUGAR NATION" head coach?????? nothing personal here, Just what I was told.I know Morgan had to have done their research on their new head coach and no way they would hire an equiptment manager.NO WAY!!!!! COUGAR NATION ROLL BABY!!!!!!!!!
Although I do not keep up with stats or job titles. I can tell you that Jeff Norman Is the New head Coach. And has several Years of Coaching experiance. You Could not ask for a better Coach for your boys. They will learn and grow in more ways than just football under him. Jeff Loves the Game And cares for the kids a great deal. My son Played gradeschool football underhim and if I was able I would move My son to Morgan Just So that he Could Play under Jeff This Season. I will talk to jeff this eveing and get back to you about his experience.
Congrats to Morgan Co. Now they can hit the weight room and get in some 7 on 7's.
blackcat_student Wrote:Congrats to Morgan Co. Now they can hit the weight room and get in some 7 on 7's.
They had better make it quick!!!!!!
Dead period starts Sunday, Which means no contact with players, No practice.
Major Khsaa violation to practice during dead period. Actually Morgan after this week will have to wait until summer practice. I did some research and Mr. Norman has coached 3 years of high school football. 2 years at Rowan as a line coach and 1 year at Western.
He did coach some grade school football also in Rowan co. Morgan really won't get much in at all this week and will have to wait till summer practice due to the dead period. Mr. Norman also kept stats a year for the high school at Rowan and helped out the program over there. Sounds like a coach who really likes being around the game but we will have to see if he has enough "KNOW HOW" to get the job done at Morgan who finished 2-8 last season and had a great coach in Randy Wood. Anyhow, Good Luck Mr. Norman.
With the new playoff format and teams being ina 4 team district, a team this season actually could be 0-11.
blackcat_student Wrote:Congrats to Morgan Co. Now they can hit the weight room and get in some 7 on 7's.
Just remember that they (along with every team in the state) have dead period for two weeks starting on June 25th. Acvtivities can start back July 9th. Which will give teams about 5 weeks to hit the weights after you take a week for camp.
Is this the same Jeff Norman that played high school football for Belfry? If so he is quite the competitor and should instill some toughness to the Cougars.
Jeff did play a belfry. Until 1990 I belive.
BOTTOM LINE IS:
It really don't matter at all where you played your high school football at.
Anybody could have been on a team but that has nothing at all to do with coaching ability.
Wow, because he was on the 1990 Belfry team, Morgan county is gonna go 15-0.
It takes a whole lot longer than 3 years coaching oline at the high school football level to be ready to step in a run a football program.who is gonna do the qb's, backs,secondary.
You have to know every aspect of the game. Just because you coached at Western for 1 year and Rowan for 2 years as a oline coach, Now your ready to run a football program at Morgan , NOT SO FAST MY FRIEND.
MR.PERFECT Wrote:BOTTOM LINE IS:
It really don't matter at all where you played your high school football at.
Anybody could have been on a team but that has nothing at all to do with coaching ability.
Wow, because he was on the 1990 Belfry team, Morgan county is gonna go 15-0.
It takes a whole lot longer than 3 years coaching oline at the high school football level to be ready to step in a run a football program.who is gonna do the qb's, backs,secondary.
You have to know every aspect of the game. Just because you coached at Western for 1 year and Rowan for 2 years as a oline coach, Now your ready to run a football program at Morgan , NOT SO FAST MY FRIEND.

I dont think anyone said Jeff would come in and make Morgan Co. a perennial contender for a state championship. Will he be able to make a gradual improvement for the program? I think so. My question to you "my friend" is how do you or anyone else KNOW that a person is going to be a great coach when they first get started. This is something noone knows. A coach has to start somewhere. Did anyone know how great Coach Holcomb at Breathitt was going to be when he started, or Coach Haywood at Belfry or Coach Howard at Pikeville(i could go on naming names but you know my point). IMO I do believe playing at a winning program makes a difference though. If a coach played at a school that always lost then they would be somewhat in the dark when it comes to understanding what it takes to build and sustain a great program. On the other hand a coach who played at an upper echelon school should know the ins and outs to continuing the basics in building a great program. Does this always mean that this certain player/now coach will be able to succeed? Definately not. But does it help? IMO yes. I just wish Jeff the best of luck and I hope he brings with him the values and work ethic that was instilled in him during his days at Belfry. There isnt a better coach to model yourself after than Coach Haywood and I believe Jeff understands this. Again good luck Jeff.
wooderson Wrote:I dont think anyone said Jeff would come in and make Morgan Co. a perennial contender for a state championship. Will he be able to make a gradual improvement for the program? I think so. My question to you "my friend" is how do you or anyone else KNOW that a person is going to be a great coach when they first get started. This is something noone knows. A coach has to start somewhere. Did anyone know how great Coach Holcomb at Breathitt was going to be when he started, or Coach Haywood at Belfry or Coach Howard at Pikeville(i could go on naming names but you know my point). IMO I do believe playing at a winning program makes a difference though. If a coach played at a school that always lost then they would be somewhat in the dark when it comes to understanding what it takes to build and sustain a great program. On the other hand a coach who played at an upper echelon school should know the ins and outs to continuing the basics in building a great program. Does this always mean that this certain player/now coach will be able to succeed? Definately not. But does it help? IMO yes. I just wish Jeff the best of luck and I hope he brings with him the values and work ethic that was instilled in him during his days at Belfry. There isnt a better coach to model yourself after than Coach Haywood and I believe Jeff understands this. Again good luck Jeff.
Philip Haywood is a perfect role model but understand Haywood and Holcomb both spent many years under great head coaches. You have to understand every aspect of the game to be a head coach. I will disagree that playing for a good program will make you a better coach. Working under solid head coaches and coaching under a man like Haywood makes you a better coach. Learning how to coach positions under a guy like Holcomb or Matney makes you a better coach. Playing the game and coaching the game is 2 different aspects. I wish this guy the best but being an oline coach for 3 years is not IMO balanced enough as a coach to run a football program. Morgan is a hard enough place to win as it is and they let a super coach slip away. Playing for Belfry has no bearing at all on coaching ability. Coaching for a year at Western with the oline has no bearing at all on the backfield, secondary,linebackers,ect. You have to be a complete coach to survive and succeed. Hey, Best of luck to the guy but its sink or swim when your in OVER YOUR HEAD.
Good luck to the new coach, I'm sure it's a dream come true for the guy.
It's gonna be tough, But hang in there. It's gonna be hard to get good ass. coaches over there and it being almost July but I'd try to surround myself with quality football guys if it's not to late. Your going to need it at Morgan.
good luck "My Friend"
Playing for belfry will not make jeff the best coach but the whole person is what makes a good coach. There are many different things that make a coach great. Jeff has alot of thoseand the know how, he is very smart when it comes to the game. I think you need to support your new head coach. When the comminty is involed and supportive the the whole program is better off. There is a tradtion at Belfry that is macthed by no other. Have you ever been to a Belfry game? There is a pride and deadication that you can only understand if you are part of it. The stands are not empty. Something i have seen to often at other schools. The whole comunnity is involed and supports the Pirates. If you want to experience that at morgan you need to [B]support your team and your coach![/B] Because Jeff can and will take you there on the field and off.
What is his actual coaching expierience? How many years high school? What positions did he coach? Has he only been a line coach? Has he ever coached backfield or qb's at the high school level? Has he ever coached secondary at the high school level?
Tell us a little about the new coach besides he played for Belfry and he needs comittment and support. Like to know a little about him and what is some of his accomplishments as a coach on the high school level, Don't count as a player or gradeschool, High school level.
How many games wiil he have to win as the interem to be rehired?