Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Greatest College Football Game Youve Ever Seen
Now, Im sure there has been a thread or two covering this, but I didnt take the time to go find them, lol. Im the biggest college football junkie in the world, and I absolutely CANNOT WAIT till football season! I want to hear what you all think is the greatest college football game you have ever seen. I think ESPN Classic college football is the greatest thing for us somewhat younger guys that didnt get to see those great games we had heard about (1971 Oklahoma-Nebraska, 1980 SMU-BYU, etc.)....This thread dont just cover Div I, but all college divisions, because theres some darn great college football played on the lower levels. Im going to give my pick right off the bat to start it off.

2000-- Alabama AT Florida. Florida had a 37,000 game winning streak or something like that at the famed Swamp, was heavy favorites over Shaun Alexander and the Tide. But when it was all said and done, the Tide upset the Gators 40-39. Some called it a fluke, until they met again in the SEC championship and Bama whipped Spurriers Gators 34-7 behind Shaun Alexanders 165 yards rushing. There ya go, thats my pick. Have at it!!
Have to mention Texas/USC and on the biggest spotlight, with a game like that. And my gosh, how can you not mention Boise State/Oklahoma! I am going to go with that game to me as the GREATEST game I have EVER SEEN!
What about Kentucky over Alabama I forget what year it was. When UK blocked the extra point or field goal, can't remember. Maybe you can help me out Hoss, lol.

UK vs. LSU a couple years ago.
UK vs. Akansas 7 OT's

ND vs. Michigan State 2006
ND vs. USC 2005
UT over USC for the 2005 national championship...

OSU vs. Miami for in the 2003 Fiesta Bowl Championship Game..

Those two come right off the top of my head...
Texas/USC '05 Greatest individual performance Ive ever seen by Vince Young.
Ohio State/Miami '02
man you dont care to kick a brother between the legs do ya? lol..the year was 1997, yes it was a great game. I had the unfortunate displeasure of being there. I had my #37 Shaun Alexander jersey on, and was draped over the railing in disbelief. lol..First UK win over Bama in 75 years. You mentioned some great games. I thought the Ole Miss-Arkansas game (2002 or 2003) 7ot game was a dandy too..
Redneck Wrote:What about Kentucky over Alabama I forget what year it was. When UK blocked the extra point or field goal, can't remember. Maybe you can help me out Hoss, lol.

UK vs. LSU a couple years ago.
UK vs. Akansas 7 OT's

ND vs. Michigan State 2006
ND vs. USC 2005
TidesHoss32 Wrote:man you dont care to kick a brother between the legs do ya? lol..the year was 1997, yes it was a great game. I had the unfortunate displeasure of being there. I had my #37 Shaun Alexander jersey on, and was draped over the railing in disbelief. lol..First UK win over Bama in 75 years. You mentioned some great games. I thought the Ole Miss-Arkansas game (2002 or 2003) 7ot game was a dandy too..

That game may not be one of the greatest of all time in all of college football, but it has to be up there with UK fans like me. I, too, was at that game, and I don't think I've ever been happier at a UK football game in my life. That place just went nuts.

Back on topic, that Oklahoma-Boise St. game this past year was amazing, as was the Marshall-East Carolina bowl game from a few years back. The Miami-Ohio St. national championship game a couple years ago too.
SHELBY VALLEY WILDCATS - 2010 KHSAA STATE CHAMPIONS

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
UK vs. LSU when lsu beat kentucky with seconds left on a hail mary pass. hated to see it but a great game.
That I have seen in person:

Bluegrass Miracle -- UK v. LSU
The 7 OT game that UK last in 2003
The UK-Alabama in 1997
This topic was actually brought up on ESPN Radio today, and Mel Kiper said his most memorable game was like most other's Texas vs. USC...

The Oklahoma-Boise State Fiesta Bowl was a really fun game that probably find a place in that second level somewhere...
Without question Texas-USC was an amazing game. It is DEFINITELY a top 3 game. The Oklahoma-Nebraska '71 game, and the Nebraska-Miami '83 national championship game (Osborne goes for 2 instead of kicking the extra point, and loses the title 31-30) both rank at the top as well.
TidesHoss32 Wrote:Without question Texas-USC was an amazing game. It is DEFINITELY a top 3 game. The Oklahoma-Nebraska '71 game, and the Nebraska-Miami '83 national championship game (Osborne goes for 2 instead of kicking the extra point, and loses the title 31-30) both rank at the top as well.

That took some major cajones from Osborne, tie the game and he probably wins the national championship... think it gained him alot of respect throughout the country.... Miami was 17 point dogs in that game if I remember right as well... Kosar was excellent in the first quarter of that game, believe they got up to a 17-0 lead, but Nebraska was able to claw back... Irving Fryar also dropped a sure touchdown as well...

Notre Dame-Michigan State in 66 is often talked about by old-timers as a great game, pretty sure it ended in a 10-10 tie....

Penn State-Alabama Sugar Bowl in 79 or 80 also a classic...

Penn State-Miami Fiesta Bowl in 87 also a close one... Miami comes to Arizona with "camoflauge" (Testeverde looked like Burt Reynolds with a bad case of acne) and ends up with mud all over their face...
Texas v.s USC
Boisie ST v.s. Okla
UK v.s. Ark
ah i am gettin a block.... there are more.
TidesHoss32 Wrote:man you dont care to kick a brother between the legs do ya? lol..the year was 1997, yes it was a great game. I had the unfortunate displeasure of being there. I had my #37 Shaun Alexander jersey on, and was draped over the railing in disbelief. lol..First UK win over Bama in 75 years. You mentioned some great games. I thought the Ole Miss-Arkansas game (2002 or 2003) 7ot game was a dandy too..

Smile I thought you might like that. It was definately a great game though, a top 3 ever played at Commonwealth.
yes i was at UK vs. Arkansas but unfortunately i left in the 5th overtime and later regreted it even though UK lost...but USC vs. Tex was a great game also