Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Breaking News: Junior To Hendricks
http://sports.espn.go.com/rpm/news/story...id=2901813

Earnhardt has scheduled an 11 a.m. ET press conference for Wednesday at his JR Motorsports headquarters and is expected to announce which team he will drive for beginning in the 2008 season.

Earnhardt said recently he is so determined to win a Nextel Cup championship that he would consider driving a car without Budweiser on the hood if that's what it took to get with the right team.

That means you can't completely count out Joe Gibbs Racing, which is philosophically opposed to connecting itself with an alcoholic beverage.
espn.com breaking news says Dale Jr will drive for Hendrick Motor sports in 2008.
Greatness!!!
Dale Earnhardt Jr. on Wednesday will announce his intent to move to Hendrick Motorsports Chevrolet in 2008, multiple sources with intimate knowledge of the negotiations told ESPN.com Tuesday.

There was some speculation that the wheels are already in motion to plant Earnhardt in the No. 5 now driven by Kyle Busch before season's end, but Dale Earnhardt Inc. president Max Siegel, contacted by phone Tuesday, discounted that scenario, saying Earnhardt would remain in the No. 8 through season's end.

http://sports.espn.go.com/rpm/news/story...id=2901813

Not one word TomSports!!

Remember, Budweiser was once a prime sponsor for Hendricks racing #25 before Junior came into the picture, so there is a relationship there already. WOW, how do Junior fans feel about their "good ol' boy" being a teammate of Jeff Gordon and Jimmie Johnson?
jammin' jamey Wrote:Not one word TomSports!!

:howdy:

Kyle Busch, BTW, is in Milwaukee for "testing and is not available to the media," which I believe means "being held incommunicado until he gets over his snit." He is "taking a buyout," which I believe means "accepting that he either takes the check and leaves or leaves without the check."

Junior's tour of the other Chevy shops showed him just how far behind DEI has slipped; I'd say they're no better than #4 in the Chevy pack. Could be fifth by this time next year.
Well this really sucks and I can honestly say my days as an Earnhardt fan are finished.
Say it aint so Junior....Say it aint so!!
TomSportsHack Wrote::howdy:

Kyle Busch, BTW, is in Milwaukee for "testing and is not available to the media," which I believe means "being held incommunicado until he gets over his snit." He is "taking a buyout," which I believe means "accepting that he either takes the check and leaves or leaves without the check."

Junior's tour of the other Chevy shops showed him just how far behind DEI has slipped; I'd say they're no better than #4 in the Chevy pack. Could be fifth by this time next year.

The sad thing was that it may have been as simple as a few races back when Junior took the #5 for some makeup laps after Busch had left the track "not knowing the condition of his wrecked car".

Do you think Kyle Busch winds up in the #8 now? I don't see it. Kyle may end up with his brother at Penske since they are rumored to by fielding another car next year with Mobile 1 as their sponsor. Truex Jr. becomes the top driver there now and Paul Menard takes up Juniors space, while no one drives the #8. Like you said, that team is way behind.

Is this a good move for Junior though considering how loyal fans are and how most Junior fans hate Hendricks and Gordon/Johnson? Will Junior be labeled a sellout?
jammin' jamey Wrote:The sad thing was that it may have been as simple as a few races back when Junior took the #5 for some makeup laps after Busch had left the track "not knowing the condition of his wrecked car".

Do you think Kyle Busch winds up in the #8 now? I don't see it. Kyle may end up with his brother at Penske since they are rumored to by fielding another car next year with Mobile 1 as their sponsor. Truex Jr. becomes the top driver there now and Paul Menard takes up Juniors space, while no one drives the #8. Like you said, that team is way behind.

Is this a good move for Junior though considering how loyal fans are and how most Junior fans hate Hendricks and Gordon/Johnson? Will Junior be labeled a sellout?

One wonders if that was a test drive from Junior's point of view.

Not sure where Kyle ends up. I'd say the 8 crew hates Kyle, but that's not a stretch --- nearly everybody in the garage area (other than Kurt and ... uhhhh ... I'll think of somebody else eventually) can't stand Baby Busch.

Junior would be better off leaving Tony Eury Jr. behind, but given the bad blood currently running between the Eurys and DEI management I just don't know what will happen there. I do think Alan Gustafson is a better race-day crew chief than Tony Jr.

Anybody who labels Junior a sell-out needs to look at the business history between Dale Sr. and Jeff Gordon. Off-track, the relationship was quite cordial --- they formed the motorsports apparel brand Chase Authentics together and had other mutual business interests.
Its not Gordon I have a problem with in Hendrick, its Johnson. I simply can not stand to hear him talk, watch him race or even see the man on tv. Theres just something about him that makes me hate that man.
SportsFan80 Wrote:Its not Gordon I have a problem with in Hendrick, its Johnson. I simply can not stand to hear him talk, watch him race or even see the man on tv. Theres just something about him that makes me hate that man.

That's OK. My mom has you beat hands-down

She refuses to shop at Lowe's. Smile

Jimmy's all right. His crew chief, on the other hand ... :ChairHit:
What is funny is how all of the Junior fans BOO gordon and now they will be teammates! I think this is a crappy move on Earnhardt. He will be the 3rd best driver on that team! BTW, GO JEREMY MAYFIELD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Nooooooooooooooooooo.
PLAYBOY5 Wrote:What is funny is how all of the Junior fans BOO gordon and now they will be teammates! I think this is a crappy move on Earnhardt. He will be the 3rd best driver on that team! BTW, GO JEREMY MAYFIELD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think you're dramatically underestimating Junior's talent level. Everything he's done the past two or three years has been done with second-rate equipment. He might "only" be the third-best driver at Hendrick but he's one of the top 8 drivers in NASCAR ...

Earnhardt, Gordon, Johnson, Tony Stewart, Matt Kenseth, Carl Edwards, Mark Martin, Denny Hamlin. And four of those guys are overcoming their equipment every week.

Yes, I said Kenseth. Roush is way behind these days, and it's mainly the management style at Roush to blame for that.
Who can blame Jr.? Hendrick has 3 drivers in the top 10 and have shown all season they're the best racing team. I'm just curious to see what Bristol is going to look like next year without all the red and it I'm sure Gordon will pick up a few more fans.
blackcat Wrote:Who can blame Jr.? Hendrick has 3 drivers in the top 10 and have shown all season they're the best racing team. I'm just curious to see what Bristol is going to look like next year without all the red and it I'm sure Gordon will pick up a few more fans.

What do ya mean, "without all the red"? Junior will keep his Bud sponsor, he just won't be in the #8. IDK why any of his fans would turn on him, he's still the same ole country boy we all know him as. I'll still be cheerin for him, and I don't expect him to be with Hendricks too long, Junior and Tony will start their own team within the next 3 years.
I think this is hilarious. I mean I hated the man before this, and now I have every more reason to hate him. Instead of me hating multiple teams, I can just hate one team now. Just like most Jr. fans though, they have no idea what's going on at the race track. I was at the Coke 600 and Jr. was in like 3rd place, and every time he would pass a lapped car, almost every Earnhardt fan would stand and start screaming like a bunch of idiots. I wish he would leave NASCAR cause one he sucks, two he will never win a championship, and 3, I'm tired of hearing about his damn daddy. Sorry had to vent. Smile
BCF4L Wrote:I think this is hilarious. I mean I hated the man before this, and now I have every more reason to hate him. Instead of me hating multiple teams, I can just hate one team now. Just like most Jr. fans though, they have no idea what's going on at the race track. I was at the Coke 600 and Jr. was in like 3rd place, and every time he would pass a lapped car, almost every Earnhardt fan would stand and start screaming like a bunch of idiots. I wish he would leave NASCAR cause one he sucks, two he will never win a championship, and 3, I'm tired of hearing about his damn daddy. Sorry had to vent. Smile

I'll not be suckin Gordon's or Johnson's, I still hate em both. What's wrong with fans cheerin him passin a lap car? Junior doesn't suck, like said earlier he has been runnin with second rate equipment ever since Sr. died cause Teresa wouldn't put the money into it. When Sr was alive Junior was awesome, ran up front nearly every race cause he had good equipment like what Gordon and Johnson have now.
Redneck Wrote:I'll not be suckin Gordon's or Johnson's, I still hate em both. What's wrong with fans cheerin him passin a lap car? Junior doesn't suck, like said earlier he has been runnin with second rate equipment ever since Sr. died cause Teresa wouldn't put the money into it. When Sr was alive Junior was awesome, ran up front nearly every race cause he had good equipment like what Gordon and Johnson have now.
Here is how I see it, as long as Gordon and Johnson are with Hendrick Motorsports, Jr will still have a 2nd rate car. Kyle Busch has been with Hendrick for what 3 years? He has only won 4 races. The number 25 car (Vickers and Mears) has only won 2 races in like 5 years. Given these stats, I see Jr. having sub-par equipment and not competing on a consistent basis just like Busch and Vickers/Mears.
SAD SAD Day. :Sad04:
SportsFan80 Wrote:Its not Gordon I have a problem with in Hendrick, its Johnson. I simply can not stand to hear him talk, watch him race or even see the man on tv. Theres just something about him that makes me hate that man.
i hate to hear Jimmy talk it is like fingernails on a blackboard.
the press conference can be seen on speedtv.com at 11:00 am.
i do not and will never like Jeff or Jimmy but i am a Jr fan forever.
Yeah I'm trying to figure out how all of Dale Jr.'s fans will cope with this. Smile
well, Ive been a Ward Burton fan since Harry Gant retired, and Id rather Ward lose with Morgan-McClure than win driving for Hendricks..GO WARD!
TomSportsHack Wrote:Anybody who labels Junior a sell-out needs to look at the business history between Dale Sr. and Jeff Gordon. Off-track, the relationship was quite cordial --- they formed the motorsports apparel brand Chase Authentics together and had other mutual business interests.

The sad thing is most Jr. fans don't see it that way and are appalled. It's like one of the reporters at the press conference said, fans look at this like an Alabama football player transferring to Auburn. I think Junior will suffer somewhat at first in terms of his "good ol' boy" fans adjusting. However, once he starts winning and if he wins a championship, all will be forgotten.

Remember folks hated Darrell Waltrip for years because he was winning and had an attitude about it. DW is very popular now and probably more respected than when he was a driver by the fans, especially new fans who don't realize the sports past.

Junior's signing with Hendricks is a huge turning point in the sport for it's future and it's choking more "good ol' boy" fans of Earnhardt, but they'll have to love it or leave it.
BCF4L said it correctly, Earnhardt will be sub par with Hendrick equipment. Johnson and Gordon are the bread winners for them and thats how it will be even with Earnhardt on board. They wont take away anything from those two drivers just to make Earnhardt a winner. He should know that himself, he is now a joke and possibly even a jerk. I dont see him keeping many fans after this.
SportsFan80 Wrote:BCF4L said it correctly, Earnhardt will be sub par with Hendrick equipment. Johnson and Gordon are the bread winners for them and thats how it will be even with Earnhardt on board. They wont take away anything from those two drivers just to make Earnhardt a winner. He should know that himself, he is now a joke and possibly even a jerk. I dont see him keeping many fans after this.
Oh there's no doubt Jr. will keep the fans. Nothing will ever change that. You will just start seeing Jr. fans jumping on the Gordon and Johnson bandwagon. Now you know as well as I do, if you like Jr., then the majority hates Gordon. It won't be like this for long. People will sing praise for Gordon and Johnson. Example: Paul Menard and Martin Truex Jr. Neither of these guys are what you say great drivers, but they have a huge fan base strictly because they are teammates of Jr. Most Junior fans really have no idea what racing is all about, and instead just root for him because they had heard of his daddy. So, because of this, they will root for whoever is his teammates simply because they have never heard of anyone else besides people that are directly related to Jr. in some way.
I for one like the move to Hendrick Motorsports. This is the most dominating team in Nascar right now. I've never been a fan of Jeff Gordan or Jimmie Johnson but they both own the sport right now, plus every one of my friends are fans of Jimmie Johnson and Jeff Gordan. Roush Racing is the only team that can compete with Hendrick. This is the only chevy team Dale Jr can race with that can win him a championship. Great move on Juniors part.

Go Jr!
give it a year or so, then he'll be wishing he would have figured out a deal to drive for Gibbs. I think he would have worked much better with Tony, Denny Hamlin and JJ Yeley (who has matured, having a solid season and is EVERY BIT the driver Junior is)..I think he went out of his own way to steer clear of RCR (another better fit than Hendrick) just because he wants to stay that far away out of his daddys shadow..Im not sure this was as good of a move on his part, given the teams he could have driven for. Cant blame Hendrick though (mark that down, thats the only time Ill not blame Rick Hendrick for anything, lol), just because of the revenue and the sponsorship money that Junior will generate, that and they will be able to get rid of Kyle Busch who is nothing more than a little jackass punk. But all in all, I really dont care one way or the other, because practically anything is an upgrade from DEI, who as Chevy only teams, has fallen behind Hendrick, Gibbs, RCR, and in my opinion Ginn Racing, in terms of equipment, and stability within the organization..
blackcat_student Wrote:I for one like the move to Hendrick Motorsports. This is the most dominating team in Nascar right now. I've never been a fan of Jeff Gordan or Jimmie Johnson but they both own the sport right now, plus every one of my friends are fans of Jimmie Johnson and Jeff Gordan. Roush Racing is the only team that can compete with Hendrick. This is the only chevy team Dale Jr can race with that can win him a championship. Great move on Juniors part.

Go Jr!