Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Training a young football player
Briar jumper bd Wrote:Separate the training on the chute. Do a drive phase of 20 yards. Then simulate open field ( up right running good form) for 40 to 60. Form is a must and training bad form is very common. Before you do anything running wise band/chutes/sleds you must consider form and sport specific training. Sprinting is a science and there are different phases of a sprint (especially 40) and all should be trained in regards to form.

That's something I have started paying closer attention to in his sprints at basketball practice. His is the 3rd fastest on his team, but at some point, he is right with the top 2. He is step for step w #1 for about 10 feet. The #1 pulls away, #2 ends up behind #1 and #3 half way through, then kicks into gear and passes my boy. #1 gets to top speed and holds that speed quicker and stronger than any kid I have seen at this age. He is who my boy is always gunning for ( they are extremely close buddies bit fight like hell in practice, makes for good a competitive atmosphere though). Love seeing them WANT to work.
Training your son with athletic people will only push. Make it fun and competitive with form and long term health in mind. Number one I commend you on being interested in your sons future. People will say many things about how you push your kid too hard or you’re living through him. DO NOT pay attention to those people. Maybe you do and are those things, maybe not. Bottom line is none of us is the perfect parent. The only thing you can do is dream with your child the biggest dream possible and maybe he achieves it and maybe he doesn’t. After coaching for several years I can say without a doubt you child is lucky because many kids do not have the next hot meal more less a father to care enough live his dream with him: my oldest son was one of the best 8th graders in the state and he did not grow much from then on. I would put his work ethic against anyone, just didn’t have the size. D1 was his goal and that just wasn’t in the cards for him. He is now a biology major at Georgetown ky playing football. He wants to a physical therapist to athletes when he is done. Point being is your interst in your child will show beyond the field in all aspects and I am 💯 a fan of any dad taking this approach and interest in their child. We all make mistakes and you will be criticized but at the end of the day you got your sons back! That’s what dads do and to hell with anyone who says otherwise. You will make mistakes as all parents do but you and I and many others can live with that because our kids benefit because we do care enough to be involved. Anything I can do to help do not hesitate and if your up this way bring your son and he can train with my son who’s going to be a sophomore at SW. my oldest goes back to college the 14th and will train with me til then. I love to talk training and share the do’s and don’t of what I’ve learned.
I cannot express to you the importance of traveling to Louisville to work with Chris Vaughn at least a couple times per month if your son is in high school and had D1 potential.
Really appreciate that Jumper Dad. Myself and a few other dads (who are also coaches in the youth program), are very invested. Not just in our own kids, but the whole group. Too often things are as you mentioned. We have several players who are from single homes. They are a special group of kids and we try to do all we can for them. It takes a village to raise these boys into men. We just try our best. We are harder on our own kids of course, but we treat them all with compassion and as if they were our own.
I love the game of football and love watching the kids develop on the field and off. We are trying to build a culture in the youth program here at Raceland, it's a process that is often thankless, but we arent there for that. Bringing in a trainer here and there in the offseason is a goal as well, a few small camp workouts and I am going to hold a lineman camp for our lil beefers in the spring. My son is a skill kid, but we have a solid corps of lineman that I am very proud of. Their growth from last year to this year was incredible. Mind you, I completely understand that this is 3rd grade tackle football and not the NFL. But if these kids learn from an early age how things are supposed to be, what it means to set and achieve a goal, understand that sometimes you run into a buzz saw of a team that puts things back into perspective, understand the many out weigh the few, it only molds them into stronger players and more importantly, human beings. I do not take being a youth football coach lightly.
Scotty_Bronson Wrote:I love the game of football and love watching the kids develop on the field and off. We are trying to build a culture in the youth program here at Raceland, it's a process that is often thankless, but we arent there for that. Bringing in a trainer here and there in the offseason is a goal as well, a few small camp workouts and I am going to hold a lineman camp for our lil beefers in the spring. My son is a skill kid, but we have a solid corps of lineman that I am very proud of. Their growth from last year to this year was incredible. Mind you, I completely understand that this is 3rd grade tackle football and not the NFL. But if these kids learn from an early age how things are supposed to be, what it means to set and achieve a goal, understand that sometimes you run into a buzz saw of a team that puts things back into perspective, understand the many out weigh the few, it only molds them into stronger players and more importantly, human beings. I do not take being a youth football coach lightly.

Your head varsity coach needs to get involved and be seen in the youth program. He needs to come to games, practice etc....players too if possible. Have "youth night" at varsity games and acknowledge them on the field between quarters. Let youth kids in free to games when they wear their jerseys. Line the path to the field with youth teams in their jerseys when the varsity enters the field pregame.

Boyle Co has built a solid program by doing these things and it does take a while but look at what comes of it. IT WORKS!!!! Bring your teams to the BCYF Rebel Bowl on Labor Day weekend (free).

Good luck!
Coach Salmons is pretty involved. He has a son in the program so he is invested there as well. The HS puts on a youth camp every year and the HS kids are always around it seems. Really what I love about our smaller school system. Its growing again, our JFL. I just want to leave it in better shape (which it's not a dinky drink outfit now lol) than we got it. Always growing the program and always trying to do more and more to develope the kids each year.
Scotty_Bronson Wrote:Coach Salmons is pretty involved. He has a son in the program so he is invested there as well. The HS puts on a youth camp every year and the HS kids are always around it seems. Really what I love about our smaller school system. Its growing again, our JFL. I just want to leave it in better shape (which it's not a dinky drink outfit now lol) than we got it. Always growing the program and always trying to do more and more to develope the kids each year.

Your head coach and all others involved need to openly recruit the schools in the system and build pride in the program. Kids need to be familiar with their faces and want to be a part of the team in the future.

Again. Good luck.
We are a "football school". Really it speaks alot about the commitment and interest in the program. For a team that until the last 10 years, had never won a regional championship, never won a state semifinal game, or made a state final appearance, the interest has always been high. The JFL has been solid for a really long time, but hasnt made major strides in numbers for awhile. The numbers are solid, but in the last few years, have seen a few classes with only enough to put 11 kids on the field. But again, for a school our size, isnt bad. We consistently put 50+ kids on the HS roster and in every couple of seasons, have 60+. For a school that graduates around 70-80 kids each year those numbers are pretty good. But, our goal is to make those numbers in the JFL up each year. Really enjoyed this thread. Didnt expect it to bring as much interest, nice change of pace, nice offseason thread.
I'm within 30 minutes of you briarjumper.. my son is 12. I'd love to bring him to train with you and your sons
Jesus the misinformation in this thread is mind numbing. I really hope no one is a coach or trainer of young kids in this.
This is a conversation thread. All opinions welcome. No bullshit and back and forth. I welcome any and all opinions.
I totally understand and get what you're asking but, as a teacher and a coach, the most important thing to teach your sons, imo, is to be a good student first. Student comes first in student/athlete for a reason. If you don't train your mind, all of the other things are a moot point. I have three sons, one has multiple offers to play college football (D1-DIII), one is a middle schooler playing up on his high school basketball team and another is playing youth league sports. I can't stress enough how much importance on their schooling, education, and just being a good person I place on them. If I have done those things along with allowing them every opportunity to succeed athletically, I feel they will be successful.

With that said, one year for Christmas, Santa got my boys agility cones and an agility ladder once. We also have a small rock wall and monkey bars in our house... So, I feel that at that age it should all be about body weight... max reps each time. Again, all of this is just my opinion. Hope it helps.
Yustacould Wrote:I totally understand and get what you're asking but, as a teacher and a coach, the most important thing to teach your sons, imo, is to be a good student first. Student comes first in student/athlete for a reason. If you don't train your mind, all of the other things are a moot point. I have three sons, one has multiple offers to play college football (D1-DIII), one is a middle schooler playing up on his high school basketball team and another is playing youth league sports. I can't stress enough how much importance on their schooling, education, and just being a good person I place on them. If I have done those things along with allowing them every opportunity to succeed athletically, I feel they will be successful.

With that said, one year for Christmas, Santa got my boys agility cones and an agility ladder once. We also have a small rock wall and monkey bars in our house... So, I feel that at that age it should all be about body weight... max reps each time. Again, all of this is just my opinion. Hope it helps.

Not insinuating that you were saying anything negative, but for the record...both of my boys are honor roll students, my middle boy(the reason I started the thread) is just as driven in the class room as he is in sports. I can't thank the lord enough for his drive to be the best he can no matter what he is doing. It's never been a fight to get him to work hard. And both of them volunteer to read to the younger classes, help the younger kids, I am very proud of the boys they are. That being said, I agree. With both statements. He isnt hitting the weights hard, just using 2lb dumb less right now, focusing on form and breathing right has he lifts, keeping his back straight doing EVERYTHING, etc. Again I appreciate all input guys!!
Scotty_Bronson Wrote:This is a conversation thread. All opinions welcome. No bullshit and back and forth. I welcome any and all opinions.
If that was meant for me it wasn’t bullshit, it’s just sad to see some of these “opinions”. If not meant for me carry on. Sorry didn’t see Mod by your name
It was meant for you. But it wasnt a slight, or an attempt to call you out. What I meant by the comment, was give your opinion as well. I didnt feel like you were trying to stir anything up, just wanted your opinion as well, since you seemed to disagree with some of the others. Sorry if my word choice came across differently.
I recommend checking this study out if interested.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3445252/
Much appreciated guys. He and his buddy are starting in two weeks. We r still working here at home as well. Concentrating on proper form and technique and really concentrating on his warm up and cool down stretches as well.
Had his first session this sunday with his speed and agility coach.

7 yo 4ft 8" tall and 68lbs
Broad Jump: 5ft 9"
Verticle: 8.9"
Shuttle: 6.67sec

Didnt get a 40. I will post his progress. Thanks for the input guys!
Correction lol 4ft 4,"...got my boys mixed up lol
1st session and 1st 40 time

road Jump: 5ft 9"
Verticle: 8 ft 9"
20 yr Shuttle: 6.67sec
40: 8.18 sec

5th session
Broad Jump: 6ft 2"
Verticle: 9ft 1
20 yd Shuttle: 6 flat
40: 7.28

In one month he is a totally different athelete. No weight training whatsoever just form and body weight excersizes.
Biggest difference is hos over all atheleticism. He was solid before, and by his terms still has a long way to go, but I am blown away by the growth he is making with just 1 hour a week with his trainer and another 30 min session here at home. Learning to be more explosive on his first step and more balanced has helped him in baseball as well, especially behind the plate catching.
Emphasize a good stretching program. Get those hamstrings good and flexible.
As expected, he is very militant about that, even though he absolutely hates it.. He is a driven kid when it comes to doing things right or atleast trying his hardest to do things right. Shout out to Orange Blaze for all his help working with him. His brother is now getting involved with it as well. Side note, they are both in 10u baseball this year and watching my oldest on the mound pitch to his 8yo brother behind the plate this past week was very special to me. After the first inning my son had 2 Ks and my younger boy came out from behind the plate and gave him the closest thing to a hug that they could have given lol. It's the only time they arent trying to one up each other. Very proud moment as a dad. Again, I appreciate everyone's input and feed back on here.