Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2019 Preseason 5A Rankings
Who do you think will be the top 10 teams in 5A?
UK1fan Wrote:Who do you think will be the top 10 teams in 5A?

No particular order;

South Warren
Scott County
Cov. Cath
Bowlig Green
Highlands
Southwestern
Pulaski County
South Oldham
Harlan County
Fredrick Douglas(just a guess on them, haven't finialized there roster yet from what I'm hearing)
I would put Fredrick Douglas top 5 they return a lot of talent.
Whitley County will surprise in the south. There is two separate classes here. South Warren, Scott County, Covington Catholic, Bowling Green, Highlands, Frederick Douglas. Then everyone else.
Harlan is 4a
UK1fan Wrote:I would put Fredrick Douglas top 5 they return a lot of talent.

Agree on top 5, do not no much about 5A that's why I said no particular order, they lost a lot more than you think on both sides of the ball have a good Coaching staff so should be solid.
5A is looking strong this year. I'll give an ordered top ten, though many of these are very close in my opinion.

1. South Warren
2. CovCath
3. Scott County
4. Fredrick Douglass
5. Bowling Green
6. South Oldham
7. Pulaski Co
8. Southwestern
9. Highlands
10. Anderson Co
UCfan1 Wrote:Whitley County will surprise in the south. There is two separate classes here. South Warren, Scott County, Covington Catholic, Bowling Green, Highlands, Frederick Douglas. Then everyone else.

I agree on the two groups but what is going to be different for Whitley? I don’t see Whitley being a threat for 2-3 years I saw them twice last year they just don’t have speed or talent for 5A right now. Coach Irwin is a good hire and I saw he is doing a program in a couple of weeks for the feeder coaches, but until the feeder coaches buy in at Whitley they will struggle to be competitive in 5A. That’s been a big problem at Whitley that goes back to pre Campbell days.
Big Daddy Bull Wrote:Agree on top 5, do not no much about 5A that's why I said no particular order, they lost a lot more than you think on both sides of the ball have a good Coaching staff so should be solid.

FD is loaded they return several D1 kids.
UK1fan Wrote:FD is loaded they return several D1 kids.

2 Tackles and a safety, which is more than most but lost all there offensive production and most of there def.
Big Daddy Bull Wrote:2 Tackles and a safety, which is more than most but lost all there offensive production and most of there def.

DE Romarion Warner is getting looks.
OL Jager Burton has offers.
OL Walker Parks going to Clemson.
WR Dekel Crowdus has 7 offers.
CB Ty Bryant is getting looks.
CB Devin Neal has offers.
OL Jacob O'Buck is getting looks.
Big Daddy Bull Wrote:2 Tackles and a safety, which is more than most but lost all there offensive production and most of there def.

I believe they also have Josh McClurg at QB this year.
pretty sure Anderson Co. is in 4A now..
UK1fan Wrote:DE Romarion Warner is getting looks.
OL Jager Burton has offers.
OL Walker Parks going to Clemson.
WR Dekel Crowdus has 7 offers.
CB Ty Bryant is getting looks.
CB Devin Neal has offers.
OL Jacob O'Buck is getting looks.

O'Buck moved out of state
UK1fan Wrote:I believe they also have Josh McClurg at QB this year.
Never heard of him
Big Daddy Bull Wrote:Never heard of him

I believe he transferred in.
UK1fan Wrote:I believe he transferred in.
From where?
barrel Wrote:From where?

LCA two years ago, Paintsville last year Frederick Douglas this year. I think he’s only played a game or two at QB. He has mostly played DB,RB and WR but is capable at QB. Will be another rental for FD. Everyone has known this was most likely going to happen for a while now and they have just lied to everyone’s face about it saying he wasn’t transferring. There have been several QB’s rumored to be headed to FD and they have even had at least one starter from another Lexington school in to visit. In fact he worked out with the coaches and players. Yes, this is most definitely against the rules and yes KHSAA is aware and so is the coaching staff at the other school. Doubtful anything will happen because they continue to blatantly bend and break the rules with little or no consequences. They are making a mockery out of Fayette County public school Athletic Director and KHSAA.
Frank Martin Wrote:LCA two years ago, Paintsville last year Frederick Douglas this year. I think he’s only played a game or two at QB. He has mostly played DB,RB and WR but is capable at QB. Will be another rental for FD. Everyone has known this was most likely going to happen for a while now and they have just lied to everyone’s face about it saying he wasn’t transferring. There have been several QB’s rumored to be headed to FD and they have even had at least one starter from another Lexington school in to visit. In fact he worked out with the coaches and players. Yes, this is most definitely against the rules and yes KHSAA is aware and so is the coaching staff at the other school. Doubtful anything will happen because they continue to blatantly bend and break the rules with little or no consequences. They are making a mockery out of Fayette County public school Athletic Director and KHSAA.

No different than Trinity getting kids from Indiana and other places.
UK1fan Wrote:No different than Trinity getting kids from Indiana and other places.

Does Trinity get kids to come in for a semester or two then transfer back to graduate from their original school to graduate? Private schools can draw from outside of district or county or state. Public schools in Fayette County cannot. I can keep going but I think I made my point.
UK1fan Wrote:No different than Trinity getting kids from Indiana and other places.
I’ve got no dog in this but it is different. Trinity is a private school so they can accept students from anywhere as long as the student can pay and get to school. The closest thing to Trinity are school districts that have open enrollment and are willing to accept students from outside their county/city boundaries. I have no idea what Fayette County’s restrictions are.
If I’m any good in football in central Kentucky I’m trying to attend Douglass. Why wouldn’t you? Great facilities, great staff that seems to get kids recruited, and they win. In my opinion no reason football in Fayette County should be that poor. Keep up the great work Broncos!
My top 5.

1. Fredrick Douglas
2. Scott County
3. CovCath
4. South Warren
5. Bowling Green
lextown Wrote:If I’m any good in football in central Kentucky I’m trying to attend Douglass. Why wouldn’t you? Great facilities, great staff that seems to get kids recruited, and they win. In my opinion no reason football in Fayette County should be that poor. Keep up the great work Broncos!
I don’t think anyone would argue with that line of thinking. It’s no different if you’re in Louisville you would try to attend Male or Trinity. In NKY it would be Cov Cath, Highlands or Beechwood. In Bowling Green area it would be Bowling Green or South Warren and maybe Franklin Simpson.
Again, the player does not enroll him or her self into school by themselves.
plantmanky Wrote:Again, the player does not enroll him or her self into school by themselves.

Of course not the parent/guardian then counselor/administration of the school does that
lextown Wrote:If I’m any good in football in central Kentucky I’m trying to attend Douglass. Why wouldn’t you? Great facilities, great staff that seems to get kids recruited, and they win. In my opinion no reason football in Fayette County should be that poor. Keep up the great work Broncos!

Talent gets kids recruited, if kid don't have the talent not a thing a coach can do, most of there kids that get recruited seem to come from other schools, could be wrong.

Say Scott County should start season #1- no reason why not, but I could see why people could make a case for South Warren and Cov Cath, will be interesting.
Cammando Wrote:pretty sure Anderson Co. is in 4A now..

Oops, looks like you're right. I probably should've double checked all the movement between classes before making that top ten.
Big Daddy Bull Wrote:Talent gets kids recruited, if kid don't have the talent not a thing a coach can do, most of there kids that get recruited seem to come from other schools, could be wrong.

Say Scott County should start season #1- no reason why not, but I could see why people could make a case for South Warren and Cov Cath, will be interesting.

Sure Scott county should start #1, and of course kids getting recruited came from other schools they all have since its year 2 for the new HS and where were those offers at previous schools?? We live in a world of transfers at the High school and collegiate level of athletics so you are entitled to your opinion about it but is it going away??
CarzyRock Wrote:5A is looking strong this year. I'll give an ordered top ten, though many of these are very close in my opinion.

1. South Warren
2. CovCath
3. Scott County
4. Fredrick Douglass
5. Bowling Green
6. South Oldham
7. Pulaski Co
8. Southwestern
9. Highlands
10. Anderson Co

South Warren graduates most of their 2018 starters in a month and a half, including Gavin Spurrier, Cameron Harrison, Clayton Bush, Tanner Gallahair, Pete Cross, Tre Teague, and Jacob Lacey. Zero chance the Spartans are 1st in 5A.

CovCath loses Casey McGinness and Jack Coldiron, and most of their offensive line. They return their QB and Michael Mayer, a few OL/DL and several various skills players. Not the hit that South Warren took, but not great either.

Highlands at #9...not a chance. Any team that comes at Highlands expecting a #9 team is setting themselves up to be beaten by Highlands. For starters, they're head and shoulders above Pulaski and Southwestern, both. But nobody on here pays much attention to northern Kentucky sports unless they absolutely have to, so I guess I'm not surprised to see that.