Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best UK Basketball "Role Player" of the Last 15 Years
Who do you think has been the best "role player" on UK men's basketball team in the last 15 years? To pick this person, they must have not went on to play professionally in the NBA.

If I had to choose, it would be a toss up between 3 people: Anthony Epps, Cameron Mills, and Marquis Estill. All of which helped the team greatly, but perhaps did not have just enough to push them onto the next level. It's 2:00 a.m. in the morning and I'm writing this, so I'm sure I'm leaving a BIG name out right now and you all are screaming at the computer "you idiot, how did you leave his name out?" So sorry if I missed and obvious choice, but just fill me in! haha
Then I would have to go with Travis Ford! A born leader who strived for big time plays! A proven winner!
Epps, Mills, Hayes, Jeff Sheppard and Jeff Brassow, Pelphrey, Erick Daniels, my goodness we could sit here all night and name them, Derek Anderson..
Mark Pope.
Moe Wrote:Mark Pope.

Make that two for Mark Pope
TidesHoss32 Wrote:Epps, Mills, Hayes, Jeff Sheppard and Jeff Brassow, Pelphrey, Erick Daniels, my goodness we could sit here all night and name them, Derek Anderson..
i agree with you and also add Sean Woods ,Ritchie Farmer and Jarred Prickett.
Orginal post said can't name any that went on to play in NBA..then that eliminates Shepard (short time w/ Atlanta), Erick Daniels (Golden State stint), Anderson (several NBA teams). I think Pope may have also spent time with Vanocouver if memory serves. Hayes is with Houston.

With that said I would still have a tough time choosing....I would probably have to go with Mills (who got the most out of what he had at a very opportune time for UK). Ford and Epps were great too though. And Brassow is probably one of my all time favorite players ever at UK---loved that hair!
yeah I didnt pay any attention to the original post, ...with that in mind, Id go with Brassow and Pelphrey..I loved Brassow too..
firetubbyplease! Wrote:Orginal post said can't name any that went on to play in NBA..then that eliminates Shepard (short time w/ Atlanta), Erick Daniels (Golden State stint), Anderson (several NBA teams). I think Pope may have also spent time with Vanocouver if memory serves. Hayes is with Houston.

With that said I would still have a tough time choosing....I would probably have to go with Mills (who got the most out of what he had at a very opportune time for UK). Ford and Epps were great too though. And Brassow is probably one of my all time favorite players ever at UK---loved that hair!
Steve Masiello ('96-'00)
QB Challenge Champion, Just Pitching Champion, Midi Golf Champion- My Greatest Accomplishments in Life
BFritz Wrote:Steve Masiello ('96-'00)

Hmm...interesting choice.
SEKYscout Wrote:Hmm...interesting choice.
Do you disagree??
QB Challenge Champion, Just Pitching Champion, Midi Golf Champion- My Greatest Accomplishments in Life
Cameron Mills was very clutch, one of my all time favorites at UK.
Pope was drafted as the last pick by the Pacers in the 1997 draft.
BFritz Wrote:Do you disagree??

haha, I can't disagree it's your opinion. Yet, I am interested in hearing your rationale behind it.
SEKYscout Wrote:haha, I can't disagree it's your opinion. Yet, I am interested in hearing your rationale behind it.

haha, back when we were freshmen, we fell in love with him because he's the ultimate scrub and only got in when it was a blowout. We called a kid on our team Steve because he was the same way, but it wasn't teasing or anything, he still goes by Steve and he always found it hysterical.
TidesHoss32 Wrote:Epps, Mills, Hayes, Jeff Sheppard and Jeff Brassow, Pelphrey, Erick Daniels, my goodness we could sit here all night and name them, Derek Anderson..
How can you say Derek Anderson when he was possibly the best player in the country when he blew out his knee in 97, hell if he doesnt get hurt we win three titles in a row. Noway can anyone call Anderson a role player.
A role player isn't a player who would get 2 minutes a game , if he even got in the game, such as Masiello. Now if the thread was UK's favorite last man such as Todd Svaboda(Know that is spelled wrong, lol) , Steve Masiello then that is a different story. Although, how could you not like them.
your out of your mind. Anderson was a GOOD player, but possibly the best in the country? That is hysterical. Anderson was the perfect ROLE player, and I disagree with you. An average Arizona team shouldnt have come within 10 points of UK, even WITHOUT Anderson. That team (Zona) entered the tournament 19-9, hadnt won 6 games in a row all season. I never said he was the best role player in 15 years at UK, I was just dropping names. IMO the best role player in this era was Jeff Brassow anyways..
Tubby Hater Wrote:How can you say Derek Anderson when he was possibly the best player in the country when he blew out his knee in 97, hell if he doesnt get hurt we win three titles in a row. Noway can anyone call Anderson a role player.
Gimel Martinez
Gimel had the best moustache of any college player that I've seen. He was a favorite of mine.
TidesHoss32 Wrote:your out of your mind. Anderson was a GOOD player, but possibly the best in the country? That is hysterical. Anderson was the perfect ROLE player, and I disagree with you. An average Arizona team shouldnt have come within 10 points of UK, even WITHOUT Anderson. That team (Zona) entered the tournament 19-9, hadnt won 6 games in a row all season. I never said he was the best role player in 15 years at UK, I was just dropping names. IMO the best role player in this era was Jeff Brassow anyways..
I dont care what you say man, when Anderson went down he was very possibly the best player sin the country and that team struggled after he went down with the injury. That Zona team was loaded with talent but didnt put things together until towards the end of the year.
GRIZZ Wrote:Gimel had the best moustache of any college player that I've seen. He was a favorite of mine.
Gimel was a good role player and the funny thing about him is that coming in his freshman year he was listed at 7 foot. He ended up being about 6 foot 9.
Cameron Mills
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
KENTUCKY WILDCATS
CAM2006 Wrote:Cameron Mills

Good pick.
my thoughts of a role player would be someone like Heshimu evans, Brassow, Epps, FOrd!! players who gave thier team what it needed for the win, not always getting the pub but always doing the job!!!
dude Im not arguing with you, lol...but that UK team was 35-5. They didnt struggle after losing Anderson. They went from beating teams by 40 to beating them by 25. Point is simple. Arizona beat UK simply because Lute Olson outcoached and outsmarted Rick Pitino..you can say that he was possibly the best player in the country, and thats your opinion, but he came to UK as the perfect role player, and he was..
Tubby Hater Wrote:I dont care what you say man, when Anderson went down he was very possibly the best player sin the country and that team struggled after he went down with the injury. That Zona team was loaded with talent but didnt put things together until towards the end of the year.
After Anderson went down KY lost the 1-2 punch combo of Anderson and Mercer. Pure and simple. I agree Olson outcoached Pitino that night as well. I also have a nagging doubt about Anderson's ACL. I know he tore it ---but he was dunking the ball in warmups the night of the championship-----not rumor I was there!
firetubbyplease! Wrote:After Anderson went down KY lost the 1-2 punch combo of Anderson and Mercer. Pure and simple. I agree Olson outcoached Pitino that night as well. I also have a nagging doubt about Anderson's ACL. I know he tore it ---but he was dunking the ball in warmups the night of the championship-----not rumor I was there!
You are right I was there as well, he was getting up pretty easy. But I have tore my ACL twice and after couple weeks rest I completed the baseball seaosn and then had surgery. Does anyone remember if he had surgery after the injury or after the season? I am not sure when he had it. But yes he looked pretty healthy in warm ups.
dont hold me to this, but im 99% sure that Pitino rested him so he wouldnt have had to have surgery. If I remember correctly, that was the buzz around that '97 Final Four, whether or not he was going to play, because supposedly Anderson said he could play and was ready to go, but Pitino rested him so he wouldnt jeopordize his NBA career..
Tubby Hater Wrote:You are right I was there as well, he was getting up pretty easy. But I have tore my ACL twice and after couple weeks rest I completed the baseball seaosn and then had surgery. Does anyone remember if he had surgery after the injury or after the season? I am not sure when he had it. But yes he looked pretty healthy in warm ups.
Jeff Sheppard.....hands down