Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
KHSAA adpots Spectator Conduct provision
In an effort to further promote sportsmanship and support contest officials and administrators, the Board approved a recommendation from the Commissioner to adopt a Spectator Conduct provision into its policies and procedures. The approved policy states that “any adult spectator (adult who is not listed on the current roster of coaches for the school) at any KHSAA sanctioned interscholastic event (scrimmage, regular or postseason contest) who is removed by school administrators or by law enforcement (whether or not referred by a contest official) for unsportsmanlike conduct shall be suspended from attending, at minimum, the next contest at that level of competition and all other contests at any level in the interim.”
“It is my sincere hope, and I believe that of our Board, that this penalty never be implemented and this be yet another tool in the toolbox of our school administrators to address some of the concerns we see throughout the year, ” said Tackett. “Hopefully this is a deterrent that, when implemented in our schools, becomes that one last chance for people to stop short of acting in such an unsportsmanlike manner that ejection is the only option.”

What are your thoughts on this?

I think this is a great idea by the KHSAA and is greatly needed, but it's gonna be hard to enforce & keep track of.

- How will the KHSAA, the schools or the officials keep track of everybody that gets removed from an event when they are not present at djfferent site?
- What will be the penalty if an ejected person comes to a KHSAA event before their one game suspension is over?
Check out my YouTube channel.
www.youtube.com/c/AlexGreenDifferentBreed
Too soft. Any adult who gets ejected from a high school sporting event should be banned for the remainder of the school year from all school sports games and practices. I agree that the provision to ban people from attending events at other schools would be unenforceable, so it is silly to even propose the rule.
Should be banned the next 5 varsity contests.
You cant even get correct information of players and coach ejections, how are you going to get the right info for fans.

Schools already had this power, so nothing has really changed. This is something where KHSAA can say "Hey look at me, look at what we did" when in practice they did actually nothing.
I am all for this...But we still have officials that engage fans, and engage coaches and players in condescending, unprofessional ways. What is the recourse....in these instances?
I think this is great. So much grey area for schools now as to what to do with fans. hopefully, this will help clarify their power.
Almost everyone can say at some point they have been out of hand at a sporting event.

I don't see any need for something like this and think it's excessive. Just remove them for the game and that's that. No need to add further punishment.

To answer the following posted by Pulp Fiction....

- How will the KHSAA, the schools or the officials keep track of everybody that gets removed from an event when they are not present at djfferent site? Will this be enforced at just one site? Let's say a fan gets banned at X team vs. Y team. Then they show up when A team vs. B team plays. Will it just be for that one site or for all sites?

- What will be the penalty if an ejected person comes to a KHSAA event before their one game suspension is over? It's just too much to enforce IMO. I would probably sweep it under the rug and what happens, happens.
FCSPY Wrote:I am all for this...But we still have officials that engage fans, and engage coaches and players in condescending, unprofessional ways. What is the recourse....in these instances?
I agree with this 100%. I have seen this 1st hand of a player having to go to a coach in game because a ref won't stop talking to the player and trying to provoke a response from a player. There needs to be accountability from both officials, fans, players and coaches. KHSAA can't just hold everybody involved accountable except for the officials.
Hoot Gibson Wrote:Too soft. Any adult who gets ejected from a high school sporting event should be banned for the remainder of the school year from all school sports games and practices. I agree that the provision to ban people from attending events at other schools would be unenforceable, so it is silly to even propose the rule.

I disagree with that. I do agree that adults should act appropriately, cheer for their team, holler and scream....but do it with an air of sportsmanship. The problem I have with a permanent ban is that the "offense" is in the eye of the beholder. An action, word or activity that one sees as an offense worthy of being ejected....another may not. Had this very discussion with an official today.

I think its a good rule.....I'm just not sure how its going to be enforced consistently.
Let’s see if you guys still support this after some parents get eject for nothing more then cheering to loud and having a good time! Don’t think for a second that a team playing at home will get their feelings hurt when a rival team is putting it on them and the visiting fans are having to much of a good time! This is opening a can of worms!
RAMDAD50 Wrote:Let’s see if you guys still support this after some parents get eject for nothing more then cheering to loud and having a good time! Don’t think for a second that a team playing at home will get their feelings hurt when a rival team is putting it on them and the visiting fans are having to much of a good time! This is opening a can of worms!

Definitely gonna be interesting too say the least. No doubt parents are a problem....but IMO....the officials bear some of he responsibility as well. Problems on both sides of the coin.
How does this get enforced. Out one Friday on the road the next, how do they know who to let in the gate? Honor system? Those that get thrown out do not possess enough to follow.
plantmanky Wrote:You cant even get correct information of players and coach ejections, how are you going to get the right info for fans.

Schools already had this power, so nothing has really changed. This is something where KHSAA can say "Hey look at me, look at what we did" when in practice they did actually nothing.

Bingo! This is 100% their thinking. It's all for show, while being so extremely hard to keep track of.
Will never hold up in the court of law.
I like the idea in theory but I've seen officials throw out the wrong fan before.
Fans shouldn't be removed from facilities at all unless they throw something onto the field of play or do something insane like physically attack an official.

If a parent gets out of hand at an event with words, no biggie. The official can just tough it up and move on.
WideRight05 Wrote:Fans shouldn't be removed from facilities at all unless they throw something onto the field of play or do something insane like physically attack an official.

If a parent gets out of hand at an event with words, no biggie. The official can just tough it up and move on.

Doesn’t happen in the new ...you offend me with everything you say and do world we live in now! You see my profile pic?? Read it hahaha..it’s so true!
Agree with it KHSAA, I wish it was 2 games just like the players and coaches..
wide right- so it’s ok for a fan to drop the F bomb every other word at a game?
Court of Law— throw them out of game and the school Administration grow some and tell them not to show back up for two games..
I don’t mind it good rule, some need to be booted but it’s almost unenforceable. More of a feel good rule to make it look like they care..
This is so stupid.

I have never once seen a spectator at a high school game and thought, "Man that person is unruly." Not one time.

Waste of time and unnecessary IMO.
Nothing will change with it
It will hold up in a court of law, School admin can throw out who they want and deny people future entry to their events. They don't need the KHSAA to back them up.
What do I think of it? I approve.

However, I am so glad that all my grandsons are out of high school now!

Confusednicker:
WideRight05 Wrote:Fans shouldn't be removed from facilities at all unless they throw something onto the field of play or do something insane like physically attack an official.

If a fan is using profanity (excessive or not) they should be removed. Adults are supposed to set examples for children and I don’t think any adult should be allowed to stand in front of hundreds of kids at a sporting event and curse and yell about the events of or the outcome of a GAME. Furthermore, a threat is a word as well. If any fan, child or adult alike, makes a threat towards an official or a player they should also be removed and banned. It happens to both, more than we’d like to think. That type of behavior should never be tolerated or overlooked.
A lot of gray area in this. I've seen too many games where the refs acted like idiots or were excessively biased and provoking. I once went to the refs that were gathered at a basketball game during halftime with our score book. Our fans were screaming at them and it was an away game. I just calmly walked up and said, "Boys, you all have the natives restless in here today. I think they are restless because our team has 17 fouls and the home team has 2 at halftime." I showed them the book and they examined it a second. I don't think they had a clue about how lopsided they were calling the game. They were just upset because the visiting team fans were raising hell and you could see it. The second half the calls fell hard the other way which may or may not had anything to do with me taking that book and explaining the situation to them. Refs are human as are fans but this new rule has a whole lot of gray area. I admit I've been guilty of raising too much heck at games myself a few times, but, I've never gotten so far out of hand to get kicked out. The refs may have thought otherwise at those times and I'd hate to have missed my son's last football games in high school because a ref or administrator at some school was an ass-hat. And like granny said, I'm really glad I don't have a kid in school any more.
I noticed twice this past year when officials were unprofessional in their job. Once @ N Hardin and the other @ Belfry.

Officials should NEVER SAY A WORD to fans and speak to each staff with respect and not like they're the smartest person in the room and beyond questioning.

Pompous officials are a problem.
FoSho Wrote:I noticed twice this past year when officials were unprofessional in their job. Once @ N Hardin and the other @ Belfry.

Officials should NEVER SAY A WORD to fans and speak to each staff with respect and not like they're the smartest person in the room and beyond questioning.

Pompous officials are a problem.

Fans and administrators that do not know the actual rules are a problem too. In most instances (not all, but most) fans yell and get bent out of shape about a call when they don’t have the slightest idea about what the rule book actually says.
Granny Bear Wrote:What do I think of it? I approve.

However, I am so glad that all my grandsons are out of high school now!

Confusednicker:

Honestly Granny, I would pay big bucks to see you act up and get tossed from a basketball game. Confusednicker:

[Image: https://i.pinimg.com/originals/b7/4b/9f/...23f02e.jpg]