•  Previous
  • 10(current)
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Belfry 2019 Schedule
bucslover68 Wrote:Lost of valid points made by lots of people. Belfry's fate in any season historically depends on two things...1) Are we fairly healthy and 2) Can we hang on to the ball...If these two things happen, Belfry rarely loses regardless of their pass defense. Obviously the talent level has been down the last couple of years on the defensive side of the ball, but gees there is no way you can continue the talent they had in 15 and 16 and even several years before that. With that being said, Belfry has the makings of being a really good D this year, but pre season injuries have already taken place and there is such a fine line as far as depth goes. You would love to be able to rest Ben and Dixon and Coleman some even the first few games of the season, but there is little experience behind them. But you look at kids like Cook and Mounts and Washington and Ashurst and Baisden along with the secondary guys, the experience and talent is there.

Offensively, this is as dangerous a combination of talent as Belfry has had in a long time. Bentley played hurt and still dominated teams at times and Dixon had a sophomore year as good as anyone in Belfry history. They both can run and catch if asked to and they are tough as they come. If Hensley goes at FB the speed factor is unreal. Hensley needs to stay healthy and secure the football every play.

There are a lot of questions, but there always is. Belfry has set the bar high and trying to get back to a state championship game is the goal then let the chips fall where they may.

The numbers they have compiled over the last 17 seasons is phenomenal and historical for eastern Ky HS football.
16/17 years with 10 or more wins.
7 straight state finals appearances
4 straight championships
76 wins in their last 86 games
55-5 in their championship run with losses only to JC twice Pikeville once Cabel Midland once and Knoxville Catholic once.

As far as Pikeville, I think they are the favorite from the east no doubt and they have a great chance to get back to Kroger. The young QB has to mature and as usual the line has to gel. Pikeville is never the biggest, but they usually develop a cohesive unit.

The receiving core is a great one with Hensley, Pugh, and the new kidand others. Coach Mac has the horses IMO to get it done.

Scrimmages start this week, so it really starts to get good.

Excellent points. This is the kind of feedback I was looking for along with OutlawJoseyWales, and not the whining and personal attacks from 55.
FoSho Wrote:I can guarantee LexCath would have beaten Pikeville last year and I can't stand them. Lol.

Boyle Co would have had a running clock on Pikeville by halftime...last year, the year before and this year. If you think otherwise you simply don't understand football.

Pikeville has a good team and has a couple of good receivers but Belfry will be just fine vs you this season. They will have the best two athletes on the field in Dixon and Bentley and a fantastic OL with Wolford and the bunch. Last season Boyle's Reese Smith was the best football player in KY (IMO) and had a great game vs the Pirates but Dixon/Bentley weren't 100% and the game would have been much closer had they been.

I'm a Boyle Co fan and Belfry was easily the best team we played last season. Our kids crashed physically and mentally after that game, got complacent and weren't 100%. Corbin was ready for us and took it to us. This year, if you want to see the best offense and passing game in KY, pay attention to Boyle. If you want to see the best running game in KY, pay attention to Belfry.

Pikeville may win the state title and I hope you do but let's not get crazy with our posts on here. Good luck!
Now FoSho you can’t guarantee anything it could be a strong opinion, now LexChat may have beat Pikeville and Boyle too and may have been a running clock. You also thought you would win at Corbin and might should have but you didn’t and I know Boyle had a lot of injuries just like Belfry. I have said and will continually say that anything can happen in a high school football game. Who even knows what last years game would have been between Belfry and Boyle would have been without the fumbles. Which is also part of the game. Now I have friends at Belfry and have 2 of the loves of my life at Pikeville and hope I have a friend at Boyle but regardless you can not take nothing for granted. And what you said let’s not go crazy with are posts I agree with. I also hope Belfry and Boyle have great years and pray they are injury free years but as always GO PANTHERS!!!
Patriot1 Wrote:Now FoSho you can’t guarantee anything it could be a strong opinion, now LexChat may have beat Pikeville and Boyle too and may have been a running clock. You also thought you would win at Corbin and might should have but you didn’t and I know Boyle had a lot of injuries just like Belfry. I have said and will continually say that anything can happen in a high school football game. Who even knows what last years game would have been between Belfry and Boyle would have been without the fumbles. Which is also part of the game. Now I have friends at Belfry and have 2 of the loves of my life at Pikeville and hope I have a friend at Boyle but regardless you can not take nothing for granted. And what you said let’s not go crazy with are posts I agree with. I also hope Belfry and Boyle have great years and pray they are injury free years but as always GO PANTHERS!!!

My friend. You know I love you but if I was ranking them last year at the end of the year.

Boyle Co
Belfry
Corbin
Louisville Central
LexCath
Pikeville

That's not a slam, it's the truth.

This year is a new year and good luck. I hope Belfry and Pikeville bring state titles back to the mountains.
I'd say the truth is 21-0. Corbin beat Boyle 21-0. Central beat Corbin for the state championship. These rankings are not the truth.

FoSho Wrote:My friend. You know I love you but if I was ranking them last year at the end of the year.

Boyle Co
Belfry
Corbin
Louisville Central
LexCath
Pikeville

That's not a slam, it's the truth.

This year is a new year and good luck. I hope Belfry and Pikeville bring state titles back to the mountains.
kywvfan Wrote:I'd say the truth is 21-0. Corbin beat Boyle 21-0. Central beat Corbin for the state championship. These rankings are not the truth.

Reading comprehension must not be your strongpoint.

The discussion was that the best team doesn't always win the title. My rankings were for the best teams in 3A last season and they are IMO. However, people that know HS football would agree.

Thanks for your input tho.
No problem. Lets get some trophy's made for Boyle. The "People that know HS football" Champions.
kywvfan Wrote:No problem. Lets get some trophy's made for Boyle. The "People that know HS football" Champions.

We don't have room in the trophy case.
^Good thing you didn't make it to Kroger last year then.
jetpilot Wrote:^Good thing you didn't make it to Kroger last year then.

Indeed.

But like what was said earlier...this discussion was about the best teams not always winning the title and I stand by my post.
To be fair, I can't recall a single time that Belfry's secondary wasn't a concern. A lot of it is scheme related.

Even during the championship years Belfry hasn't exactly had the Legion of Boom shutting down opposing Offenses.

2003- Chris Todd (Etown) lit them up pretty good.
2004- Zach Bernard threw for a ton of yards in defeat.
2013- Pike Central had a ton of success passing in the regular season, Belfry shut them down pretty well in the playoffs.
2014- CAK threw for a ton of yards just couldn't score points, Pikeville nickle and dimed Belfry to death with short timing stuff
2015- Lawrence County nearly upset them with Dalton making catches and Knox Cath threw for a ton of yards but lost, Belfry was sensational against LexCath in Finals though.
2016- Amari Rodgers and Knox Cath had a ton of success, Central made some big plays to keep them hanging around.

Belfry's approach to spread passing teams has always been pretty simplistic and erred on the side of "Bend but don't break".

To be honest it has even been maddening at times to see Belfry rush three and drop their Ends and Backers and see teams march up and down the field, but for whatever reason Belfry has done a good job of stiffening when they needed to.

With that said, and as others have mentioned, I think it is more than fair to be skeptical of Belfry's Defense with the struggles they had. I still think the majority of Belfry's problems the past two years start and end with their Defensive Line. Belfry's DB's have been needed in run support so much, and Belfry was simply unable to create any pass rush. Until Belfry proves they are improved on the DLine, I honestly can't see a scenario that they win a Title.
jetpilot Wrote:^Good thing you didn't make it to Kroger last year then.

Confusednicker:
FoSho Wrote:Indeed.

But like what was said earlier...this discussion was about the best teams not always winning the title and I stand by my post.

You got spanked. accept it and move on.
jetpilot Wrote:I didn't attack Belfry or try to start anything, and I didn't put up any misleading stats. I asked about Belfry's secondary. You are unhinged and your reading comprehension skills are nonexistent.

:hilarious:
pjdoug Wrote:You got spanked. accept it and move on.

Mind your business. 😉
EKUAlum05 Wrote:To be fair, I can't recall a single time that Belfry's secondary wasn't a concern. A lot of it is scheme related.

Even during the championship years Belfry hasn't exactly had the Legion of Boom shutting down opposing Offenses.

2003- Chris Todd (Etown) lit them up pretty good.
2004- Zach Bernard threw for a ton of yards in defeat.
2013- Pike Central had a ton of success passing in the regular season, Belfry shut them down pretty well in the playoffs.
2014- CAK threw for a ton of yards just couldn't score points, Pikeville nickle and dimed Belfry to death with short timing stuff
2015- Lawrence County nearly upset them with Dalton making catches and Knox Cath threw for a ton of yards but lost, Belfry was sensational against LexCath in Finals though.
2016- Amari Rodgers and Knox Cath had a ton of success, Central made some big plays to keep them hanging around.

Belfry's approach to spread passing teams has always been pretty simplistic and erred on the side of "Bend but don't break".

To be honest it has even been maddening at times to see Belfry rush three and drop their Ends and Backers and see teams march up and down the field, but for whatever reason Belfry has done a good job of stiffening when they needed to.

With that said, and as others have mentioned, I think it is more than fair to be skeptical of Belfry's Defense with the struggles they had. I still think the majority of Belfry's problems the past two years start and end with their Defensive Line. Belfry's DB's have been needed in run support so much, and Belfry was simply unable to create any pass rush. Until Belfry proves they are improved on the DLine, I honestly can't see a scenario that they win a Title.

I don't think there's any doubt that Belfry's success or lack thereof will rise and fall on two areas: defensive line play and depth. no question about it.
OutlawJoseyWales Wrote:I don't think there's any doubt that Belfry's success or lack thereof will rise and fall on two areas: defensive line play and depth. no question about it.

Maybe...but no worries until Kroger Field. Their offense is good enough to carry them until then.
I hope our scrimmage Friday night goes well. I am excited to check out the place for I have never been.
Hey, #55PirateFan, look me up Friday night. I'll be the one with the doctor bag on Raceland's sideline.
sidelinedoc Wrote:I hope our scrimmage Friday night goes well. I am excited to check out the place for I have never been.

Some info to make your trip more enjoyable:

http://www.bluegrassrivals.com/forum/sho...ght=belfry

:biggrin:
Where's the scrimmage at this Friday?
FootballFan1999 Wrote:Where's the scrimmage at this Friday?

Richlands VA
#55PirateFan Wrote:Just heard a bit of good news for the Pirates. The staff is in heavy talks with a couple teams from Ohio and Virginia and its looking very promising that Belfry will get that all important 10th game. I sure hope it happens. With the way the playoff format is this year with the re-seeding, it would be devastating for a team with a 9 game schedule. That's the good news. The bad news, all the teams that we're in talks with are powerhouses! But at least it's a 10th game.

So, back to the heart of the thread...

Since it's been a while for the above, and it's pretty late, has the possibility of a 10th game officially dried up?
I believe i saw an article on KPG about belfry's injury's im not sure if this is fact or fiction they arnt always the most reliable source and they are very biased. Anyone have any clarification?
Hurricane Storm Wrote:So, back to the heart of the thread...

Since it's been a while for the above, and it's pretty late, has the possibility of a 10th game officially dried up?

Yeah, I think it was just talk. Haven't heard anything since. And you know as well as I do, adding a game this late is unheard of. I would be shocked if we add a tenth game at this point. And that's really going to hurt this team. Especially from what I saw in the scrimmage last Friday against Raceland. Although most of my buddies on here will probably disagree with me, I thought we looked pretty bad, in all areas. But we'll see. I will say this, it has seemed to be a Belfry tradition to look bad in scrimmages in the past then come out and dominate throughout the season from game one on. Hope that's the case! But anyway, like I said, I would be shocked if we get a 10th game this late.
Eagle2009 Wrote:I believe i saw an article on KPG about belfry's injury's im not sure if this is fact or fiction they arnt always the most reliable source and they are very biased. Anyone have any clarification?

We are definitely banged up, no doubt. The QB will not be ready to play the first couple games. You probably wont see Bentley in any of the scrimmages and he'll be very limited in practices. With him it's more of a keeping him healthy kinda thing. No need to risk him at all until game 1. We also have a few more bruised up some. It may keep them out of the scrimmage Friday at Richlands. But other than the QB, I think everyone else will be ready to go come August 23rd. Hope that answered your question my friend.
  •  Previous
  • 10(current)