Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Great Cossing's 1st Coach?
Any news? I have heard they have started interviews.
I had heard Atchley (LCA) last season but that wasn't the case. So I got nothing.
Apparently, French has an interview this week.
Good luck to whoever they hire. It’s going to be an uphill battle for the first few years at least.
barrel Wrote:Good luck to whoever they hire. It’s going to be an uphill battle for the first few years at least.

Maybe, I hear talk of a decent amount of transfers from outside Scott Co moving into GC area. If that does happen you could see them competitive sooner than many think.
NextGeneration Wrote:Apparently, French has an interview this week.

I would really think the hiring committee would be smarter than that.
plantmanky Wrote:I would really think the hiring committee would be smarter than that.

smarter than what?
plantmanky Wrote:I would really think the hiring committee would be smarter than that.

Now, why is that?
I'm sure they'll get a good coach and could be competitive in their first year.
plantmanky Wrote:Maybe, I hear talk of a decent amount of transfers from outside Scott Co moving into GC area. If that does happen you could see them competitive sooner than many think.

I would be surprised if Great Crossings would NEED any transfers to be competitive. Not saying there may be some kids from acouple of surrounding counties/cities who may desire a transfer....just like Douglas .....but it’s already gonna be a 5 A school with a tremendous amount of quality kids. Scott Co’s Youth and MS programs are usually pretty solid. Bluegrass Conference is a challenge. Not sure what GC’s schedule looks like but I can’t see them struggling for very long.
Scott Co kids are going to get a choice for awhile. There are a number of kids currently at Scott Co or entering Scott Co HS that are choosing to stay at Scott Co. We will have a better idea of GC’s numbers at the end of January.
Iam4thecats Wrote:Now, why is that?

I would think they would want to hire a coach that at minimum is going to be there to get them through the first phase of their program, 5-6 years at least.

French doesnt sit down that long most of the time.

Just doesnt seem like the right fit for a start up program.
OutlawJoseyWales Wrote:I would be surprised if Great Crossings would NEED any transfers to be competitive. Not saying there may be some kids from acouple of surrounding counties/cities who may desire a transfer....just like Douglas .....but it’s already gonna be a 5 A school with a tremendous amount of quality kids. Scott Co’s Youth and MS programs are usually pretty solid. Bluegrass Conference is a challenge. Not sure what GC’s schedule looks like but I can’t see them struggling for very long.

My understanding is that most of the athletes current at Scott Co are staying at Scott Co. So Greater Crossing will be completely starting from scratch, which leaves room for outside area talent to come in.
I would respectfully disagree with you. Coach French is an awesome coach that trains up his assistant coaches as well as the players. Therefore with someone like Coach French you could get a culture in place of doing things the right way from the get go. And if he did leave in three or 4 years the foundation would be in place for future success. Just my 2 cents.
No need to worrying seems Coach French has elected not to interview. Coach French seems to have a lot on his plate. I hope that everything is OK, he is a fine man and a great football coach.
TheColonel Wrote:No need to worrying seems Coach French has elected not to interview. Coach French seems to have a lot on his plate. I hope that everything is OK, he is a fine man and a great football coach.

What's on his plate?
plantmanky Wrote:I would think they would want to hire a coach that at minimum is going to be there to get them through the first phase of their program, 5-6 years at least.

Larry has coached exactly 1 team less than 5 years. That is Lincoln where he coached 4. Every other team has been more 5 or more so your statement is mostly incorrect.
plantmanky Wrote:I would think they would want to hire a coach that at minimum is going to be there to get them through the first phase of their program, 5-6 years at least.

Yeah, I don’t know why they would want to hire a coach that has WON everywhere he’s been.
I'm not sure Larry would be the best to start a new program in the twilight of his career. I was just refuting the idea that he only stays at a school 2 or 3 years. I think he would have been the perfect hire 5 years ago when he headed to SW but maybe a younger up and coming coach would be ideal now.
Larry will be fine and wherever he winds up he’ll continue to win ballgames. My question Plantman is what your fixation is with him? You seem to continue to question his reputation as an outstanding coach. You are the head of the Middle School Association why not pick a better argument on message boards than one with a top ten winningest coach in our states history? Doesn’t make much sense to me for your reputation.
pjdoug Wrote:What's on his plate?

Just by looking at what has happened the last few weeks. He tells his team he is taking some time off. Talks to Whitley. Goes to Middlesboro twice and verbally accepts the job, but tells them not to announce till after the new year. New year is here and he tells them he is on vacation. Comes home from vacation and talks with Greater Crossings and says he will interview, then canceled. Sounds like he really doesn’t know what he wants to do. Must have a lot on his plate? Best wishes and hope he lands where he wants .
I can tell you from a source on here, he does. Best wishes.
Football_Maniac Wrote:Larry will be fine and wherever he winds up he’ll continue to win ballgames. My question Plantman is what your fixation is with him? You seem to continue to question his reputation as an outstanding coach. You are the head of the Middle School Association why not pick a better argument on message boards than one with a top ten winningest coach in our states history? Doesn’t make much sense to me for your reputation.

I think my statement was pretty clear, I just dont think Coach French is the best candidate for what Greater Crossing is trying to do as a program. Didn't say anything about not being an outstanding coach.
plantmanky Wrote:I think my statement was pretty clear, I just dont think Coach French is the best candidate for what Greater Crossing is trying to do as a program. Didn't say anything about not being an outstanding coach.

Who do you think is the best?
pjdoug Wrote:Who do you think is the best?

Like I said before, someone that is going to commit long term to the build of the program, and if has early success like Douglass did, great, but if not someone that will stay the course.

LCAs former coach that just took the Bullitt East Job would have been someone to strongly consider.

Scott Co has 2 assistant coaches on staff that I think would do very well in the job, and have ties to the area, which could help.

There are 2 Lexington assistant coaches as well that I think would do well there.

There are 2 Head Coaches in Western KY that have shown they can build/rebuild programs that would also do well there IMO.

Again the biggest issue is who wants to be considered. Ive only heard 3 names mentioned so we will see in time.
plantmanky Wrote:Like I said before, someone that is going to commit long term to the build of the program, and if has early success like Douglass did, great, but if not someone that will stay the course.

LCAs former coach that just took the Bullitt East Job would have been someone to strongly consider.

Scott Co has 2 assistant coaches on staff that I think would do very well in the job, and have ties to the area, which could help.

There are 2 Lexington assistant coaches as well that I think would do well there.

There are 2 Head Coaches in Western KY that have shown they can build/rebuild programs that would also do well there IMO.

Again the biggest issue is who wants to be considered. Ive only heard 3 names mentioned so we will see in time.

Haddix? Morris? Big Grin
pjdoug Wrote:Haddix? Morris? Big Grin

Haddix would be interesting. His offense at one school, old school wing T at the other.

Morris wasnt one of the ones from the west I was thinking about, but a solid coach.
plantmanky Wrote:Haddix would be interesting. His offense at one school, old school wing T at the other.

Morris wasnt one of the ones from the west I was thinking about, but a solid coach.
For sure. I was just curious. Smith?
plantmanky Wrote:Like I said before, someone that is going to commit long term to the build of the program, and if has early success like Douglass did, great, but if not someone that will stay the course.

There are 2 Head Coaches in Western KY that have shown they can build/rebuild programs that would also do

Just for my curiosity, what makes you think that 4 assistants with I assume has no head coaching experience would make a better hire than French.
insideinfo Wrote:Just for my curiosity, what makes you think that 4 assistants with I assume has no head coaching experience would make a better hire than French.

3 of the 4 have been head coaches in the past. The other I am not sure.