Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mayfield vs CAL in 2A Championship
64SUR Wrote:Mayfield has kicked my ass so many times it don’t even hurt anymore :truestory:

Mayfield 42
CAL 21

That’s too funny. We should be able to trade mark that and put it on shirts.
football fan42 Wrote:I believe this series is one and one, with the only ass-kicking going the other way.

He wasn’t saying that as a fan of CAL. See 64 was a Williamsburg fan that has been converted to Corbin. Mayfield went 2-0 against that Wburg team at state. Then we went 3-1 against that Corbin team.
But, would’ve loved to have played that game we lost at CAL again with our starting senior lb that averaged 19 tackles per game instead of a freshman. He was booted for a penalty that the KHSAA used in training the next year and specifically stayed was not a rule.
There was and idea about a shirt going around with some count down on it. The point was that we win our championships without having to recruit.
mysonis55 Wrote:There was and idea about a shirt going around with some count down on it. The point was that we win our championships without having to recruit.

bull butter.
Mayfield kicks the extra point in overtime to win 21-20. Should be a classic.
I hope we don’t have to rely on that again E. I would rather just go beat them.
MF underestimated Wright two seasons ago, but shut him down last year with the Bubba/Conner double-team combo. It worked perfect. There is no reason to reinvent the wheel there if Bubba is healthy.

MF has to stop CAL from running inside. Ends and edges will be fine, just need to get it done between the tackles. Q needs to bring it allowing Couch to slide down inside. Keac needs to have his best game as a Cardinal.

With an offense as great as MF's, just keep doing what brought you here. Don't overthink it or try to get fancy. Run our stuff and it will take care of itself.

As already posted, it probably comes down to who plays the cleanest (penalties, turnovers, dropped passes, missed tackles, etc.) Two of the best teams in the state going at it... can't get here soon enough!
mysonis55 Wrote:But, would’ve loved to have played that game we lost at CAL again with our starting senior lb that averaged 19 tackles per game instead of a freshman. He was booted for a penalty that the KHSAA used in training the next year and specifically stayed was not a rule.

If you were averaging 19 tackles. Your defense was on the field way to much or everybody else on defense was not doing their job.
football fan42 Wrote:If you were averaging 19 tackles. Your defense was on the field way to much or everybody else on defense was not doing their job.

No, we was manchild! I’ve never seen a Mayfield team be on the field to much. I can see where your coming from but he was an exception
Definitely not. Our offense scored quickly which put them out there more but, there were a lot of 3 and outs for opponents. He just had a mlb mentality and played downhill. That freed up our outside lb’s to flow to the ball and cover slants and hitches.
football fan42 Wrote:If you were averaging 19 tackles. Your defense was on the field way to much or everybody else on defense was not doing their job.

That year we had one of the best linebacking group we have ever had, they made the majority of our tackles by a LONG shot, and I guess that’s the way it should be but sometimes you have 1 or 2 good ones, we had 4 really good ones
rookie57 Wrote:That year we had one of the best linebacking group we have ever had, they made the majority of our tackles by a LONG shot, and I guess that’s the way it should be but sometimes you have 1 or 2 good ones, we had 4 really good ones

Thank you. They worked as a unit. Each did their own job exactly the way they were supposed to because they knew without a doubt that their buddies would handle their part. A chemistry that you can’t coach. Years from now they may not be remembered individually but, they will always be remembered as a unit. Those kids wouldn’t have it any other way.
mysonis55 Wrote:Thank you. They worked as a unit. Each did their own job exactly the way they were supposed to because they knew without a doubt that their buddies would handle their part. A chemistry that you can’t coach. Years from now they may not be remembered individually but, they will always be remembered as a unit. Those kids wouldn’t have it any other way.

Your son was a member of the great backer core! Great group, one of our best ever
64SUR Wrote:Mayfield has kicked my ass so many times it don’t even hurt anymore :truestory:

Mayfield 42
CAL 21

:hilarious:
If MF can get as lucky as they did against us, and the other team plays without their deep threat and leaves their mind on the bus like we did MF wins by 60!! Hahah I’m just kidding, none of that is remotely true.

Mayfield is FOR REAL! I said it on another thread. If the mayfield team I watched against us is the one who shows up to Lexington CAL will be just as pissy as UofL fans are right now. Taking nothing away from CAL because I know they’re good, but MF is just another level this year. They play mistake free fundamental football. They can pass, they can run, and the QB can scramble. They also have a good enough Oline to allow them to do it at will almost. I will bring them back down a tad. Their D is very very good. But they aren’t great enough to completely shut CAL out. But they won’t have to. They can control the clock and keep you off the field if they want to. Everyone saw what they did to us. I haven’t seen a team just take complete control of a ball game like they did against us aside from the 2016 belfry team in the 2nd half. The only difference is with belfry, you knew what was coming and couldn’t stop it. MF will keep you guessing and good luck trying to stop it. I don’t want to sound like they should just give it to them, but aside from a complete mental breakdown by them, how can CAL keep them off the board, much less even getting their offense off the field?? I’m thinking about 34-14 MF. Cal might make it 34-21 but it will still be the cardinals ball game from start to finish. Either way good luck cardinals, don’t let them take that trophy back to where the other birds play! And if you could not make me look like a complete fool with this post that’d be greatly appreciated as well.
This will be a very tough Matchup. CAL probably has the better line and the overall best player(Wright). Mayfield has probably the overall better skill players. CAL probably has the better defense but Mayfield should be able to put some points up. I'm partial to Mayfield's coaching staff so this all adds up to a 35-24 Cardinal V I C T O R Y.

Watch this and then maybe you will better understand:

https://www.hudl.com/video/3/3972729/57e...a4e86af18a
Okay, I have done the break down of the numbers. I thought this schedule looked more evenly matched than what the numbers did show. Of course both teams come in at 14-0. Now mind you, the latest Lit ratings that I can find are from week 9. I don’t know what has happened on Courier Journal’s site but I can find any more recent. Mayfield showed a Lit rating of 129.5 and CAL at 125.8. This is how the rest went.

CAL 14-0
Opponents combined record; 83-85
Opponents avg Lit rating; 82.4

Mayfield 14-0
Opponents combined record; 99-72
Opponents avg Lit rating; 87.3, of course Union City can be used since out of state but, I think they certainly would have a higher Lit rating than the average which would raise that some.
They help with the Lit rating. What’s the IMTU say
IMTU computers say Mayfield by 3-4 touchdowns.
Kracken Wrote:Watch this and then maybe you will better understand:

Great highlights! I miss watching him play. Also got to see Micah in those.

Awesome, he was a stud, such a shame he didn’t get to play against Cal.
bcpc Wrote:Can’t even compliment mayfield.....

I was just stating I think they are pretty bad at the linebacker position compared to usual. My apologies.

Thats how you play linebacker.
CAL 9-0 vs good teams. 3-0 vs really good teams.
Mayfield 10-0 vs good teams. 1-0 vs really good teams.
Iam4thecats Wrote:CAL 9-0 vs good teams. 3-0 vs really good teams.
Mayfield 10-0 vs good teams. 1-0 vs really good teams.

Who are the really good teams u speak of?
ontopofthewest Wrote:Who are the really good teams u speak of?

For Mayfielld its Corbin. For CAL its South Oldham, Desales, Desales.
I believe in Mayfields case that would be Corbin and in CAL’s that would be Desalesx2 and South Oldham. Now the good teams listed for both teams are a little suspect in their numbers
Rain is almost a certainty for Saturday. It's a shame that weather will become a factor in the most important game of the year. :1: