Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How Much Longer Before the Reds Fire Jerry Narron?
How much longer will the ownership tolerate losing and Narron tinkering with the lineup and unable to use his bullpen consistently? Sure, Narron's not pitching/hitting and working with what he has, but how much longer will the ownership keep the current bullpen situation? Will they shake things up with firing Narron?

As I write this, the Reds are 9 games back on May 9th. Will the Reds be closer in a few weeks and turn the corner with Narron? Do you gamble and keep him or fire him and try to shake things up now before someone in the division (like the Brewers) checks out by Summer?
they need someone in the bullpen who can pitch.
I really don't think that the bullpen situation will be getting any better. I read a quote today that said that Narron is in FULL support of Coffey and that he will not be sent down to the minors. **Bummer**
Scotty_doesn't_know Wrote:I really don't think that the bullpen situation will be getting any better. I read a quote today that said that Narron is in FULL support of Coffey and that he will not be sent down to the minors. **Bummer**
i agree but is Coffey the only guy in the pen.
rallo316 Wrote:i agree but is Coffey the only guy in the pen.

Coffey has not been getting it done this year. I'd bet that he has given up runs in most of his appearances this year. I don't think we should get rid of him, because he's got good stuff, but a stint in the minors would do him some good. Send him down!
SHELBY VALLEY WILDCATS - 2010 KHSAA STATE CHAMPIONS

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Jon Fay of the Cincinnati Enquier says that there will be no shakeup with the Reds in terms of players and Narron. He says the current roster will determine the fate of the season.

We shall see. I talked with Wayne Krivsky about Jerry Narron, and I talked with Bob Castellini about Narron and Krivsky. No shakeup is coming. The players they've got right now are going to determine the fate of this season.

http://frontier.cincinnati.com/blogs/red...ig-win.asp
Sure, send Encarnacion down but keep the bullpen intact. Makes sense.

I have watched almost all the Reds games this year (love my FSN Ohio) and I know that Coffey and the rest of the bullpen have cost the team WAY more games than Encarnacion.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
More Cowbell Wrote:Sure, send Encarnacion down but keep the bullpen intact. Makes sense.

I have watched almost all the Reds games this year (love my FSN Ohio) and I know that Coffey and the rest of the bullpen have cost the team WAY more games than Encarnacion.

If I'm not mistaken Encarnacion led the team in errors and has given away at least 2 games because he can't make throw across the diamond. Plus, he looks lost at the plate.

Yes, the bullpen has given up more games, but you had options with "Error-Edwin" and you have invested the future of 3rd base with him, so why not send him down and let work harder to try and improve?

Plus, Jared Burton and Brad Salmon are up from the minors. They are young and throw hard. They are making some adjustments. And remember, you have Bray and Majewski really close to coming back. One or both should be back before Memorial Day so changes in the pen are coming.
Who does everyone think would be a good fit manager for the Reds?
jammin' jamey Wrote:If I'm not mistaken Encarnacion led the team in errors and has given away at least 2 games because he can't make throw across the diamond. Plus, he looks lost at the plate.

Yes, the bullpen has given up more games, but you had options with "Error-Edwin" and you have invested the future of 3rd base with him, so why not send him down and let work harder to try and improve?

Plus, Jared Burton and Brad Salmon are up from the minors. They are young and throw hard. They are making some adjustments. And remember, you have Bray and Majewski really close to coming back. One or both should be back before Memorial Day so changes in the pen are coming.

EE may have given away 2 games, but Coffey has easily given up 4 or 5 just by himself. You just can't have games where you get to the 8th inning either ahead or tied, and next thing you know you're watching yet another bullpen collapse. Plus, Coffey has options, so there is not much justification for keeping him on the big club. Let him go down and work out his issues with Louisville.

Also, I won't really argue too much about sending EE down, although I did not agree with it. It seemed a little too 'knee-jerk' after he had a really bad game, when actually he had been one of the Reds' best hitters over the last week or so after the horrible start. Freel will be a good fill-in for a couple weeks, but he has shown he wears down easily as a full-time starter.

In summary, I can stomach sending EE down a lot easier than I can them not sending out Coffey. He simply has not shown any ability this year to consistently get guys out when the game is on the line.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
More Cowbell Wrote:EE may have given away 2 games, but Coffey has easily given up 4 or 5 just by himself. You just can't have games where you get to the 8th inning either ahead or tied, and next thing you know you're watching yet another bullpen collapse. Plus, Coffey has options, so there is not much justification for keeping him on the big club. Let him go down and work out his issues with Louisville.

Also, I won't really argue too much about sending EE down, although I did not agree with it. It seemed a little too 'knee-jerk' after he had a really bad game, when actually he had been one of the Reds' best hitters over the last week or so after the horrible start. Freel will be a good fill-in for a couple weeks, but he has shown he wears down easily as a full-time starter.

In summary, I can stomach sending EE down a lot easier than I can them not sending out Coffey. He simply has not shown any ability this year to consistently get guys out when the game is on the line.

Oh, you're preaching to the choir brother. In no way do I think the Reds should not send Coffey down and I think you will see him at Louisville when either Bray or Majewski come back. Also, I wouldn't be surprised to see the Reds cut Mike Stanton since Coutlangus has gotten his act together lately.
jammin' jamey Wrote:Oh, you're preaching to the choir brother. In no way do I think the Reds should not send Coffey down and I think you will see him at Louisville when either Bray or Majewski come back. Also, I wouldn't be surprised to see the Reds cut Mike Stanton since Coutlangus has gotten his act together lately.

I agree, I think Stanton is on thin ice too. He is another guy that has shown no ability to get guys out since the first two weeks of the year. However, it would be nice if he straightened things out so we could dump him for a prospect or two this summer! Big Grin

I think that once Majewski has his family situation resolved, he will be called up soon. His ERA is pretty high, but taking out one game where he got lit up for several runs and it's only something like 1.80.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Well its not just the pen that needs help we cant keep giving up 3 and 6 runs in the 1st inning and still win. They better start making some trades or call some starting pitcers up as well.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[YOUTUBE="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Y2Ezx8SnN0"][/YOUTUBE]
Batpuff Wrote:Well its not just the pen that needs help we cant keep giving up 3 and 6 runs in the 1st inning and still win. They better start making some trades or call some starting pitcers up as well.

Here's a stat for you...
Of the 27 Cincinnati outs last night, 17 came in three pitches or less from Maddux. I know Maddux is a future HofFamer, but that's a typical Reds hitter's night at the plate. Too many free swingers and no patience at the plate.
Reds just called up Chad Moeller and Marcus Mcbeth, the guy we got from Oakland for Denorfia. Calling up somebody new for the bullpen I like, bringing up an old catcher who can't hit, not so much. Oh well.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Reds win Reds win 2-1 over Padres.
More Cowbell Wrote:Reds just called up Chad Moeller and Marcus Mcbeth, the guy we got from Oakland for Denorfia. Calling up somebody new for the bullpen I like, bringing up an old catcher who can't hit, not so much. Oh well.

Moeller was brought up to catch and put Valentine back in his primary role as a pinch hitter. Narron and others have been upset about the pitch-calling of Valentine in the past. Perfect example was Moeller's handling of Aaron Harang in last night's win. If not for a balk in the 8th inning, Harang should've won.
jammin' jamey Wrote:Moeller was brought up to catch and put Valentine back in his primary role as a pinch hitter. Narron and others have been upset about the pitch-calling of Valentine in the past. Perfect example was Moeller's handling of Aaron Harang in last night's win. If not for a balk in the 8th inning, Harang should've won.

We can argue the merits of having Moeller on the team all day, but at least we can probably agree he'll be the one to go when Encarnacion comes back up. Conine, Valentin, and Castro aren't going anywhere, and Hopper has done too well as a pinch-hitter.

Oh, and I could not believe that happened last night. I was watching the game live, and I've never seen anything like it. Really a shame that they had to call a balk just because a guy tripped. Seems like I had heard in the past that a balk is only supposed to be called when there is a blatant attempt by the pitcher to deceive the runner (which Harang was obviously not trying to do), but neither Narron or the TV announcers made a big deal of it so I guess it was the correct call. Still a shame, Harang could've even been injured if he had landed badly. Guess I just don't like the rule as it is written.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
More Cowbell Wrote:We can argue the merits of having Moeller on the team all day, but at least we can probably agree he'll be the one to go when Encarnacion comes back up. Conine, Valentin, and Castro aren't going anywhere, and Hopper has done too well as a pinch-hitter.

Oh, and I could not believe that happened last night. I was watching the game live, and I've never seen anything like it. Really a shame that they had to call a balk just because a guy tripped. Seems like I had heard in the past that a balk is only supposed to be called when there is a blatant attempt by the pitcher to deceive the runner (which Harang was obviously not trying to do), but neither Narron or the TV announcers made a big deal of it so I guess it was the correct call. Still a shame, Harang could've even been injured if he had landed badly. Guess I just don't like the rule as it is written.

A balk can be called after a pitcher begins his motion to pitch and interrupts his pitching motion.

There are several instances where a balk can be called on a pitcher...
  • switches his pitching stance from the windup position to the set position (or vice versa) without properly disengaging the rubber;
  • when going from the stretch to the set position, fails to make a complete stop with his hands together before beginning to pitch;
  • throws from the rubber to a base without stepping toward (gaining distance in the direction of) that base;
  • throws from the rubber to a base where there is no runner and no possibility of a play;
  • steps or feints from the rubber to first base without completing the throw;
  • pitches a quick return pitch, that is, pitches with the intent to catch the batter off-guard;
  • pitches or mimics a part of his pitching motion while not in contact with the rubber;
  • drops the ball while on the rubber;
  • after a feint or throw to a base from the rubber, fails to disengage the rubber before reengaging and pitching;
  • after beginning to pitch, interrupts his pitching motion;
  • begins to pitch while the catcher is out of the catcher's box when giving an intentional walk;
  • while pitching, removes his pivot foot from the pitching rubber, except to pivot or as a natural consequence of stepping forward to release the pitch
  • inordinately delays the game;
  • pitches while facing away from the batter;
  • after bringing his hands together on the rubber, separates them except in making a pitch or a throw; or
  • stands on or astride the rubber without the ball, or mimics a pitch without the ball
In addition, if a pitcher commits any of the following illegal actions, it may result in a balk under certain circumstances:
  • expectorates on the ball, either hand or his glove;
  • rubs the ball on his glove, person or clothing;
  • applies a foreign substance of any kind to the ball;
  • deface the ball in any manner; or
  • delivers a ball altered in a manner described above or what is called the “shine” ball, “spit” ball, “mud” ball or “emery” ball
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Balk
jammin' jamey Wrote:[*]pitches while facing away from the batter

Now that would be cool to see! Big Grin

Kinds like when I shoot backwards over my head in a game of H-O-R-S-E...

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
BTW, did you see the end of that game last night, where Bronson 'walked' in the winning run? I don't know where the umpire was looking, but that 3-2 pitch looked to be right through the heart of the plate and should've been a strikeout, not a walk. On the TV broadcast, you could distinctly hear Chris Welsh yell in disbelief after the call was made.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
More Cowbell Wrote:BTW, did you see the end of that game last night, where Bronson 'walked' in the winning run? I don't know where the umpire was looking, but that 3-2 pitch looked to be right through the heart of the plate and should've been a strikeout, not a walk. On the TV broadcast, you could distinctly hear Chris Welsh yell in disbelief after the call was made.

I didn't make it that far last night...doozed off by the 7th. Big Grin

I did the replay though and it looked like a tough call. Worst part is Narron has no confidence to bring in someone from the pen because they're pitiful. Basically, Narron has lost the respect of the players and it's time to can him. If the Reds lost 2 of 3 or get swept this weekend, I'd expect heads to roll come Monday @ home against Washington.
jammin' jamey Wrote:I didn't make it that far last night...doozed off by the 7th. Big Grin

I did the replay though and it looked like a tough call. Worst part is Narron has no confidence to bring in someone from the pen because they're pitiful. Basically, Narron has lost the respect of the players and it's time to can him. If the Reds lost 2 of 3 or get swept this weekend, I'd expect heads to roll come Monday @ home against Washington.

I agree that Narron is probably on thin ice, and I'm not a big fan of his, but I don't fault him for leaving Arroyo in last night. He is the Reds' best pitcher, and what happened in the ninth was not due to bad pitching on his part (maybe bad defense, but that's another story). The second hit was a grounder that happened to find a hole, another couple feet to the right and it's an inning-killing DP. And I still believe the ball four call was horrible.

Incidentally, the first hit was a hot shot right at Freel that hit him in the chest. It was ruled a hit and rightfully so, but I wondered at the time if EE would've snared it. His defensive problems aren't catching the ball, they're throwing it. Then again, he might have just air mailed it into the seats after catching it, too. Big Grin

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]