Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Boyle County 41 Belfry 24
Final

Congratulations Rebels!!
Great game, great atmosphere, go Rebels.
Puuuuleeess win 1 more game boyle
Listened to both broadcasts, and it sounds like the better team won. Belfry came out with a lot of emotion, but they wore down and weren't much of a factor in the second half.
Can’t win beating yourself. Congrats To Boyle.
Like "know1" said, Belfry came out very juiced up and determined to show that they could play with Boyle. But as the game progressed, the better team started to take control. I think in the 4th quarter, Belfry was resigned to the fact that this was going to be their last game of the year. But Belfry has a heck of a team. They dominated Boyle in the 1st quarter. Boyle could not stop their running game early. Now, on to Corbin.
know1 Wrote:Listened to both broadcasts, and it sounds like the better team won. Belfry came out with a lot of emotion, but they wore down and weren't much of a factor in the second half.

I don't think Belfry wore down at all. They simple turned the ball over 5 times and Boyle County and Smith made them pay. I do think Boyle was the better team. Aside from the fumbles, Belfry played one heck of a game.
To quote the TV show "The Wire"

If you take a shot at the King, you best not miss.

Belfry had an opportunity to make this game very interesting but when you turn it over 5 times great teams will always make you pay and Boyle is a great team.

Reese Smith is a baddddddd man and he showed why he is one of the best players in all of Kentucky.

Dixon was great for Belfry until leaving with an injury in the 4th. Bright future for that Sophomore.

Belfry could have made this a much different game if they held on to the ball, but that's why turnovers are a part of the game. IMHO, Boyle was the best all-around team and they stuck to their gameplan and just made Belfry pay all night.
What was Dixon's injury?
Westside Wrote:I don't think Belfry wore down at all. They simple turned the ball over 5 times and Boyle County and Smith made them pay. I do think Boyle was the better team. Aside from the fumbles, Belfry played one heck of a game.

Most of the turnovers were in the first half. Boyle was increasingly dominant as a game went on.
know1 Wrote:What was Dixon's injury?

Ankle?
Hatz Wrote:Ankle?

Knee. But has been playing with a calf strain for a few weeks I believe.

5-1 turnover advantage for the Rebels
30 yards total offense advantage for the Pirates. All you need to know about this game.

Boyle very well coached, very fundamental. With a few stud players.
Dixon had been battling a calf strain. Kid is a warrior. Smith is as advertised. Boyle line the weakest part of their team. Belfry with a gutty effort. Good Luck to Boyle.
Hatz Wrote:Ankle?

Not sure...

There was a bang-bang play where he converted a First Down and a Boyle player brought him down violently on what could have been called a Horse Collar. Seemed to be a leg injury of some type.

Belfry's drive stalled after he left and Boyle took over. Dixon tried to go in on Defense but the staff wouldn't allow him, the Rebels converted that next drive to a TD in his absence and basically put the game on ice. Belfry had one more Offensive possession without Dixon and could not get anything going. Boyle could have added another score but kneeled on the ball inside the 10.
know1 Wrote:Most of the turnovers were in the first half. Boyle was increasingly dominant as a game went on.

I think Belfry has 3 turnovers in the first half and two in the second half. Boyle scored on the big play, not grinding it out.
Who Ya With! Way to go Rebels! Going to be a great ride back to Titletown tonight!
know1 Wrote:Most of the turnovers were in the first half. Boyle was increasingly dominant as a game went on.
Two big turnovers in the 2nd Half including one as Belfry was marching deeper into Boyle territory.

The staff didn't make huge adjustments, but you could tell Boyle wanted to take more shots down the field in the passing game and it paid off. This was huge. I thought Boyle did a great job of staying patient, particularly on Defense.

Field position was huge. Between the turnovers and Belfry's lack of a quality kicking game, and Boyle's solid kicking game, the average starting position was a major factor.

It all goes to show... Turnovers, Penalties, and Field Position... three things you have got to win to upset a great team and Belfry didn't execute on any of them.
Congrats to Boyle.
Boyle

Plays 50 340 yards
Rushing 24-76 yards 1 TD
Passing 16-26 264 yards 5 TDS
Penalties
9-51 yards
1st downs 12
3rd downs 8/10
4th downs 3/4
Fumbles 1 Lost 1
Red zone 3/3
Belfry

Plays 57 334 yards
Rushing 54-300 yards 2 TDS
Passing 2-3 34 yards 1 Int
Penalties 5-62 yards
1st downs 16
3rd downs 6/10
4th downs 1/2
Way to go Rebels!
Take away #15 Smith and Boyle is no where close to a championship caliber team. He is the team. Belfry shot them self in the foot all night with unforced turnovers.
Smith is a stud for sure! Glad he’s a Rebel!
Belfry_99 Wrote:Take away #15 Smith and Boyle is no where close to a championship caliber team. He is the team. Belfry shot them self in the foot all night with unforced turnovers.
Classic statement by a fan who is trying hard to make getting beat easier to deal with in their own mind, Smith is definitely the best player on Boyle’ s team but He would be quick to point out that it takes a team effort to win a championship
Belfry_99 Wrote:Take away #15 Smith and Boyle is no where close to a championship caliber team. He is the team. Belfry shot them self in the foot all night with unforced turnovers.

I disagree with you on that. The Colwick boy is a player that can beat you too! They might not be a championship team without smith, but they’d still be very dangerous without him
Disagree all you want, it's my opinion. I'm fine with being beat, we had nothing to lose and had Boyle rattled early on. Congrats to the Rebels.

I agree. Smith is their team. Belfry was definitely ready early on. The TD that was reversed was a huge play. Would have been 17-0 Belfry .... However.....we said all week....penalties and turnovers would play big factor in the ultimate outcome. I do think Boyle made a couple of adjustments and slowed the run down in the 2nd half. But....additional turnovers and the loss of Dixon really limited the Pirates ....and took the starch out of them emotionally. Boyle was the better second half team. So a tip of the hat. But disappointed for the Pirates. This was a very winnable game that they let get away.
Sometimes the best team don’t win and that was the case tonight a side from the unforced turnovers Belfry beat them but you can’t turn the ball over 6 times against a good team and win the sad thing about the turnovers was the unforced ones I think there were 4 and two they caused maybe next year
99PIRATEFAN Wrote:Sometimes the best team don’t win and that was the case tonight a side from the unforced turnovers Belfry beat them but you can’t turn the ball over 6 times against a good team and win the sad thing about the turnovers was the unforced ones I think there were 4 and two they caused maybe next year

The BEST team did win this game however. They are in a good position to bring home another championship. The Pirates? Watching from the sidelines.