•  Previous
  • 12(current)
  Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Boyle County @ Belfry 11/16
sorry, wrong link, but it is still a good story.
To follow up on what angrymob posted. There’s been so many Belfry games where I really had a bad feeling about. Maybe the feeling was because I felt the other team was better, maybe they had revenge on their mind or maybe the environment surrounding the game, in my opinion, was too big for the pirates. I was fortunate enough to witness all of these games in person and each game was a defining point in the history and tradition of Belfry football. Do I get the same feeling about tonight’s Boyle Co game? Yep, I think they are the better team and should win by around 20 points. Our defense just doesn’t have the horses to stop them enough to give us the opportunities we need. Hopefully it turns out like the games I’m listing below. This list doesn’t count state championship games because we know the importance of those in our history.

‘79 Highlands-Loved the way Roddy wouldn’t be intimidated and this attitude and confidence spilled over to the team and ended up being what I feel is the #1 defining game in my lifetime.
‘85 Clay County-Belfry was without it’s all world starting QB, Francisco, due to injury. Going up against an all world QB,Pennington, from Clay County. Coach Cassell stepped in and led us to a 7-6 victory I believe. Amazing effort from the defense.
‘85 Newport-Brutally cold game on the river. My biggest memory of that game was Mark Cook throwing up on the field, wiping his mouth and keeping on keeping on. Great game.
‘86 Danville-Mud Bowl and fire trucks is all you have to say to any older Danville fan to get their blood boiling. Belfry shut down a very potent admiral offense and rode Devil Webb’s back on one of the most memorable drives in Belfry history.
‘03 Erlanger-State semis win that led to first championship. Snowy and a game I thought the environment was way to big for our team. They proved me wrong.
‘04 Prestonsburg-I feel like this Pburg team was one of if not the best teams Belfry has ever faced in the playoffs. They had the revenge factor also. This I believe is the Doug Howard stiff arm game.
‘10 Somerset- This was a game Belfry had no reason winning. A very talented and seasoned Briarjumper team was beaten by a far less talented Pirate team. This game was one of the few I’ve ever watched where I can say heart and desire was the only way we won.

Hoping to add another game to this list after tonight.
wooderson Wrote:To follow up on what angrymob posted. There’s been so many Belfry games where I really had a bad feeling about. Maybe the feeling was because I felt the other team was better, maybe they had revenge on their mind or maybe the environment surrounding the game, in my opinion, was too big for the pirates. I was fortunate enough to witness all of these games in person and each game was a defining point in the history and tradition of Belfry football. Do I get the same feeling about tonight’s Boyle Co game? Yep, I think they are the better team and should win by around 20 points. Our defense just doesn’t have the horses to stop them enough to give us the opportunities we need. Hopefully it turns out like the games I’m listing below. This list doesn’t count state championship games because we know the importance of those in our history.

‘79 Highlands-Loved the way Roddy wouldn’t be intimidated and this attitude and confidence spilled over to the team and ended up being what I feel is the #1 defining game in my lifetime.
‘85 Clay County-Belfry was without it’s all world starting QB, Francisco, due to injury. Going up against an all world QB,Pennington, from Clay County. Coach Cassell stepped in and led us to a 7-6 victory I believe. Amazing effort from the defense.
‘85 Newport-Brutally cold game on the river. My biggest memory of that game was Mark Cook throwing up on the field, wiping his mouth and keeping on keeping on. Great game.
‘86 Danville-Mud Bowl and fire trucks is all you have to say to any older Danville fan to get their blood boiling. Belfry shut down a very potent admiral offense and rode Devil Webb’s back on one of the most memorable drives in Belfry history.
‘03 Erlanger-State semis win that led to first championship. Snowy and a game I thought the environment was way to big for our team. They proved me wrong.
‘04 Prestonsburg-I feel like this Pburg team was one of if not the best teams Belfry has ever faced in the playoffs. They had the revenge factor also. This I believe is the Doug Howard stiff arm game.
‘10 Somerset- This was a game Belfry had no reason winning. A very talented and seasoned Briarjumper team was beaten by a far less talented Pirate team. This game was one of the few I’ve ever watched where I can say heart and desire was the only way we won.

Hoping to add another game to this list after tonight.

YES 100%!! This is exactly what I mean. Those stories live on forever. It’s time for these kids to write theirs. It’s Pond Creek against the World. Always.

There’s no better feeling in the world. I can’t imagine not loving sports. Because the nervous excitement an hour and 10 minutes before kickoff is awesome.
  •  Previous
  • 12(current)