Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hot Seat
Two things will happen over the course of the next two weeks -

Some teams will begin their run through the playoffs and end their seasons on a strong note, with six ending with a championship.

Others will be in the early stages of replacing their head coaches.

Who are we hearing that is on the hot seat this year?
I guess a good starting point would be the bottom tier teams in each class, and then looking at how long that coach has been there.

High school coaching changes are weird, because it's hiring/firing a guy who also teaches, but everyone knows him as coach. Who most likely has done a good enough job in the class room to still be retained as a teacher. And if it's a public school, is ultimately at the mercy of the genetic pool and numerous other local factors well beyond his control that have probably been in motion for a decade.

With all of that being said, you've gotta win. And if you don't, people better trust that you're going to win soon.
TheHotSnakes Wrote:I guess a good starting point would be the bottom tier teams in each class, and then looking at how long that coach has been there.

High school coaching changes are weird, because it's hiring/firing a guy who also teaches, but everyone knows him as coach. Who most likely has done a good enough job in the class room to still be retained as a teacher. And if it's a public school, is ultimately at the mercy of the genetic pool and numerous other local factors well beyond his control that have probably been in motion for a decade.

With all of that being said, you've gotta win. And if you don't, people better trust that you're going to win soon.

That was very well put. There are good coaches who aren't given their due because of the talent pool at their school. Likewise, there are some coaches who simply need to move on.

I've always thought good coaching shines through in organization, effort, and discipline from the players, even if the scoreboard doesn't show it. Bad coaching usually shines through, as well.
Malcolm Ex Wrote:That was very well put. There are good coaches who aren't given their due because of the talent pool at their school. Likewise, there are some coaches who simply need to move on.

I've always thought good coaching shines through in organization, effort, and discipline from the players, even if the scoreboard doesn't show it. Bad coaching usually shines through, as well.

Your post is also very well put. If you're a good coach, given time, results will prove it. Same with not so good coaches. One way or the other, the results that you produce will determine which category you fall under. But a coach has to be given ample time to get HIS system in place to make it work. Often times coaches are hired and have a bad first year and are immediately fired and labeled a bad coach when thats simple not fair. Coaches at every level need at least 2-3 years to get things going. Sometimes when teams have struggled for a few years the board gets very trigger happy. That's why they continue to lose. Have patience and give these guys a chance and some time. But theres also cases where a guy is hired because of the "buddy system" and couldn't coach a checker match but is there years because of a friendship producing a very long unsuccessful stretch. I've seen schools suffer for this very reason and I've also seen coaches be replaced without been given the time I talked about. Both cases happen alot, especially at the high school and middle school levels. As far as who's on the hot seat, I dont have a clue. But like TheHotSnakes posted above, pretty good starting point would be the coaches in the "district sellers".
Chappel at Whitley probably is but should not be.
E's Army Wrote:Chappel at Whitley probably is but should not be.

I didn’t fully understand that hire to begin with. But overall he has underperformed with what he has had. It could be his coaching staff as well. I dunno. But they’ve got to do better
#55PirateFan Wrote:Your post is also very well put. If you're a good coach, given time, results will prove it. Same with not so good coaches. One way or the other, the results that you produce will determine which category you fall under. But a coach has to be given ample time to get HIS system in place to make it work. Often times coaches are hired and have a bad first year and are immediately fired and labeled a bad coach when thats simple not fair. Coaches at every level need at least 2-3 years to get things going. Sometimes when teams have struggled for a few years the board gets very trigger happy. That's why they continue to lose. Have patience and give these guys a chance and some time. But theres also cases where a guy is hired because of the "buddy system" and couldn't coach a checker match but is there years because of a friendship producing a very long unsuccessful stretch. I've seen schools suffer for this very reason and I've also seen coaches be replaced without been given the time I talked about. Both cases happen alot, especially at the high school and middle school levels. As far as who's on the hot seat, I dont have a clue. But like TheHotSnakes posted above, pretty good starting point would be the coaches in the "district sellers".

Very well put. Coach Brewer for the Prestonsburg Blackcats is a great example. He is having a bad year yes, however over the last few years he has turned his hometown team (Powell County) Into starting a new culture. Under him the Pirates went 8-4 in 2015 in his first year and 8-5 in 2017. Winning games with Powell that no one gave them a snowballs chance in hell. (LCA in 2015, and Casey Co. in 2017)Capturing 2 District Titles in 3 years, and hosting Powell’s FIRST regional championship game @home (done 1 other time but was away) and even winning 3a District 7 Coach of the year. Blackcats will be turned back around into what they use to be in a few short years!
Got to give coaches time
Football in southeast Kentucky in a lot of places is too political to paint an accurate picture of who is on the hot seat. A coach could win 3 games and have more security than one who just won 7. It’s a shame to me. These kids should come first, and what’s best for them, than some administrators agenda.
If you look at the teams that have had a continually losing record, there is almost always one common thing. They hire a new coach every couple years.
The criteria to be on the hot seat does not reside in wins and losses. It’s a popularity contest in its purest form. If the top people in administration are buddies with the head coach, his record is irrelevant when it comes to his job.
Coaches in Southeastern Kentucky are not payed what they deserve. Good coaches are not going to come here and put up with the nonsense. Parents seem to think they run everything here. It is truly comical. I had one parent tell me one time a couple years ago that their kid who was a 4th grader at the time would get to play because he knew people. Well needless to say, his kids isnt even playing anymore, think hes a 7th grader now. But that is the mindset here in SE KY. A lot of school systems let parents dictate things. I dont think Haddix puts up with that at Corbin. Im sure Haywood dont at Belfry and neither days Jim Matney. Pay them what they deserve and I promise you, your teams will be more successful.
Bulldogs4Ever Wrote:Coaches in Southeastern Kentucky are not payed what they deserve. Good coaches are not going to come here and put up with the nonsense. Parents seem to think they run everything here. It is truly comical. I had one parent tell me one time a couple years ago that their kid who was a 4th grader at the time would get to play because he knew people. Well needless to say, his kids isnt even playing anymore, think hes a 7th grader now. But that is the mindset here in SE KY. A lot of school systems let parents dictate things. I dont think Haddix puts up with that at Corbin. Im sure Haywood dont at Belfry and neither days Jim Matney. Pay them what they deserve and I promise you, your teams will be more successful.

There are many things that go into a successful program and the first is a culture change. Now rather admin and other heads help you with this change is another thing. But if all staff is on the same page and kids buy into what the coach is doing, that's a recipe for success.

I do agree coaches should get paid more, but they should earn it first.
School Admin. Wrote:If you look at the teams that have had a continually losing record, there is almost always one common thing. They hire a new coach every couple years.

I would have said talent, but both are accurate.
School Admin. Wrote:If you look at the teams that have had a continually losing record, there is almost always one common thing. They hire a new coach every couple years.

And almost always there is political hires thrown in there.

Schools can hire a good coach, they struggle early but get their system in place with freshmen and sophomores. When those kids become juniors and seniors, the political guys give their buddy the job........cycle starts over.
Bulldogs4Ever Wrote:Coaches in Southeastern Kentucky are not payed what they deserve. Good coaches are not going to come here and put up with the nonsense. Parents seem to think they run everything here. It is truly comical. I had one parent tell me one time a couple years ago that their kid who was a 4th grader at the time would get to play because he knew people. Well needless to say, his kids isnt even playing anymore, think hes a 7th grader now. But that is the mindset here in SE KY. A lot of school systems let parents dictate things. I dont think Haddix puts up with that at Corbin. Im sure Haywood dont at Belfry and neither days Jim Matney. Pay them what they deserve and I promise you, your teams will be more successful.

No he doesn’t. A lot of kids, mostly all of them love haddix. He’s a players coach. Some parents don’t. Because he don’t play politics. If you’re the best, you’ll play. Doesn’t care if daddy has money or mamma is the mayor.

Now we have had some kids leave. I won’t say the specifics why, but most of those kids thought they were bigger than the program.
I will start with one.

Trimble County

Let me start by saying that from what I have been told/heard the coach is not 100% the reason they didnt have enough players to field a team this year. I know its a small school, but they just spent some $$$ for brand new facilities including turf, and cant field a team. From what I gather, it might be a struggle to field one next year as well.

Tough spot to be in as a coach, do you stay and try to improve things? Do you look out for yourself and your future and get on with another program? Tough, Tough spot.

I guess in this case its not so much the coach, but the team that is on the hot seat.

Thoughts?
plantmanky Wrote:I will start with one.

Trimble County

Let me start by saying that from what I have been told/heard the coach is not 100% the reason they didnt have enough players to field a team this year. I know its a small school, but they just spent some $$$ for brand new facilities including turf, and cant field a team. From what I gather, it might be a struggle to field one next year as well.

Tough spot to be in as a coach, do you stay and try to improve things? Do you look out for yourself and your future and get on with another program? Tough, Tough spot.

I guess in this case its not so much the coach, but the team that is on the hot seat.

Thoughts?

I agree with you and the worst part is it's almost (90%) impossible to bring it back from not being able to field a team. Hope I'm wrong in this case but it will almost take a miracle to have football there now. Better to concentrate on little league and junior high to bring it back at some point.
Malcolm Ex Wrote:That was very well put. There are good coaches who aren't given their due because of the talent pool at their school. Likewise, there are some coaches who simply need to move on.

Coach Jerry Perry is a great example of this. Garrard will finish last in their district but this may have been one of his best coaching jobs.
jetpilot Wrote:I agree with you and the worst part is it's almost (90%) impossible to bring it back from not being able to field a team. Hope I'm wrong in this case but it will almost take a miracle to have football there now. Better to concentrate on little league and junior high to bring it back at some point.

Is it better to field a team next year, and only have 15 kids who are very bad at football; or rebuild it through little league and middle school, and come back in 3 or 4 years with 25+ kids?
Why can't you do both? Jenkins is doing that. I hear they have a very nice growing Little League system.
TheHotSnakes Wrote:Is it better to field a team next year, and only have 15 kids who are very bad at football; or rebuild it through little league and middle school, and come back in 3 or 4 years with 25+ kids?

The only thing I would say, is that if there are kids who want to play football in that school, they should have the opportunity to do that. It's an experience that will stay with them for the remainder of their lives, even if they are not very good on the field.
There is no seat in Middlesboro it has melted from the �� flames.
Melt down since Frazier was fired. Still
scratch my head over that one.
Mboro never should have let Frazier go from an outsiders perspective. He is a very good coach.
Footballcrazyman Wrote:Mboro never should have let Frazier go from an outsiders perspective. He is a very good coach.

Whitley is reaping the affects of him leaving also. Chappel shouldn’t be in hot seat but I am sure he is, they make him surround himself with homemade clowns. Chappel is a good guy in a bad situation, hands are tied.
Here’s my perspective, for what it is worth.

Years ago, when Hillard Howard left Pikeville and then Bill Allara, they were humming like a well oiled machine. Little League thru high school, all players were coached well, similar style offenses, large foundation of support. Then some changes in administration led to some differing viewpoints, and we began to struggle. Royce Mayo, Mike Jackson, Chris McNamee (1st go around), John Chapman, Mike Copley, Ben Howard, then Chris McNamee again (finally). Along the way, a few rough seasons by Panther standards, and little league standards and support started to erode. Now, keep in mind the expectations at the Hs level never changed, leading to greater frustration when the depth and successes were not like times of old.

Mac gets brought back (should have never let him go IMO the first time), and he immediately started out rebuilding LL and spending time with those kids and parents and establishing expectations for coaching there, all the way up to the HS. It paid dividends with it culminating in the 2015 championship, and success since then. We are back on track because they left him alone, recognizing he’s a proven winner, and let him rebuild the program. Now, as long as everyone continues to follow the plan from elementary school up, depth will stay where it is now (like 57 kids on the roster), development coming along at an earlier age, etc.

Just my opinion. If an administration is serious about wanting the program to succeed, they need to hire someone who cares, knows how to win, and leave them alone for at least 6 years. By then, there will be an indication of evident improvement and success. Will they all win titles? No. There’s only 6 each year. But definite improvement is possible. So programs like Trimble need to look at what Pikeville and even Paintsville did to rebuild/re-establish, and follow the model. Putting anyone on the hot seat without giving them support and time, unless they just flat out don’t know what they’re doing, is a recipe for failure. My two uneducated cents. Lol
It all comes down to the administration if they want football they pay a good coach. Some do some dont it the same way in the other sports also.
Bossdaddy 4115 Wrote:Whitley is reaping the affects of him leaving also. Chappel shouldn’t be in hot seat but I am sure he is, they make him surround himself with homemade clowns. Chappel is a good guy in a bad situation, hands are tied.

Not really homemade clowns. At least 3 of those guys went to high school at wburg. They just migrated over and have never left.
The talk around town in Owingsville is if Johnny Poynter @ Bath doesn’t go to Madison Southern or Central he will be given boot out of the HC position. Once again, this is a rumor; not 100% sure if this is the truth. I honestly like Johnny and hope he stays and does well