Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Where Is Your Favorite Place To Grab A Hotdog
IMO, hotdogs may be the greatest food every invented along with vienna sausages and bologna. Where is your favorite place to grab a dog? What do you like on your hotdogs? Who has the best hot dog chilli?
I used to love Sam's Hotdogs in Coal Run. I haven't had one in about 5 years, but that was my favorite place. The chilli was great and so was the slaw. They also always steamed the buns. I always like mine with chilli and slaw. Occationally, I would add onions and mustard. Betsy Layne Dairy Bar always had good footlongs as did Country Kitchen in Grethel. I only tried the Cincinnati hotdogs with cheese, and all that stuff once when I was was like 10 or 11, and then, it was at the Cincinnati Zoo. So, I'm not sure that counts. The bun was hard as a brick. It was a terrible dog.
I make the best hot dogs in the world!! lol Other than that, I like the hot dogs at Dairy Hut in Harlan.

Chili is a must for a good dog! Other than that I normally just add mustard and onions. I also like slaw and bread/butter pickles but prefer the old stand by.
Granny Bear Wrote:I make the best hot dogs in the world!! lol Other than that, I like the hot dogs at Dairy Hut in Harlan.

Chili is a must for a good dog! Other than that I normally just add mustard and onions. I also like slaw and bread/butter pickles but prefer the old stand by.

I never tried bread and butter pickles on a hotdog.
Dorsie's Dairy Bar in Pikeville is a truly iconic place.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dorsies-D...3126120201

Dairy Cheer in Pikeville also.
Both places have been in their same location for 50+ years.

https://www.facebook.com/DairyCheer/
jetpilot Wrote:Dorsie's Dairy Bar in Pikeville is a truly iconic place.

My Mom used to work at Sears in Pikeville in the early 80's, and she used to grab lunch at Dories Dairy Bar. She asked the owner one day what made their hotdog chilli so good. The lady actually gave her a recipe. She said the key to good hotdog chilli was to overcook the ground beef to the point it was almost burnt.
To me, the test of a good hot dog is whether it tastes good with nothing but mustard on it. If you have a hot dog that passes that test and top it with a good hot dog sauce (as opposed to chili), then you have something special.

The Paintsville Dairy Queen has been known for its hot dogs for many years, but the hot dogs that they use don't pass the mustard only test. Their hot dog sauce is very good, but IMO, it used to be even better years ago.

My dad knew the owner of the Dairy Queen years ago and he told dad that the secret to a good hot dog sauce is to use lots of finely chopped onions. Dad's hot dog sauce tastes like the DQ's hot dog sauce did 20 or 30 years ago.

Fairmont, West Virginia is home to several well known hot dog restaurants, but the only one that I have tried so far is Hometown Hot Dogs, which is very good. Hot dog restaurants seem to be more popular in West Virginia than Kentucky.

In northern Virginia, you can buy great hot dogs in the stores like Wegmans, but finding good ones in restaurants with good sauce is not easy. I have been trying to time my trips back to Kentucky so that I can try more of the Fairmont hot dogs.
Hoot Gibson Wrote:To me, the test of a good hot dog is whether it tastes good with nothing but mustard on it. If you have a hot dog that passes that test and top it with a good hot dog sauce (as opposed to chili), then you have something special.

The Paintsville Dairy Queen has been known for its hot dogs for many years, but the hot dogs that they use don't pass the mustard only test. Their hot dog sauce is very good, but IMO, it used to be even better years ago.

My dad knew the owner of the Dairy Queen years ago and he told dad that the secret to a good hot dog sauce is to use lots of finely chopped onions. Dad's hot dog sauce tastes like the DQ's hot dog sauce did 20 or 30 years ago.

Fairmont, West Virginia is home to several well known hot dog restaurants, but the only one that I have tried so far is Hometown Hot Dogs, which is very good. Hot dog restaurants seem to be more popular in West Virginia than Kentucky.

In northern Virginia, you can buy great hot dogs in the stores like Wegmans, but finding good ones in restaurants with good sauce is not easy. I have been trying to time my trips back to Kentucky so that I can try more of the Fairmont hot dogs.

Is there a difference is hotdog sauce and hotdog chilli?

Yes, I have heard the chilli\sauce the Paintsville Dairy Queen is legendary.
Westside Wrote:Is there a difference is hotdog sauce and hotdog chilli?

Yes, I have heard the chilli\sauce the Paintsville Dairy Queen is legendary.
I think there is a difference, but everybody has an opinion about what makes chili chili. I believe that real chili is heavy on chili peppers, chili powder,and beef. It may have onions, a limited amount of tomatoes, cumin, cilantro, etc., but real chili never includes beans.

My perfect hot dog sauce contains no beans, has a slightly sweet taste with tomatoes, tomato sauce, and/or ketchup. It usually contains only ground beef and its meat and the beef should be finely ground.

The perfect hot dog to put under a coat of hot dog sauce should be of Hebrew National quality as a minimum. My preference is one of the upstate New York brands (Rochester, Buffalo, or Syracuse) such as Zweigle's or Hoffman's.

Call me a hot dog snob, but that's the way I see it.

The best hot dog-ish sandwich that I have ever eaten is a half-smoke from a tiny restaurant/store named Meats and Foods in Washington, DC. The restaurant is owned by a couple who started making sausages at home as a hobby before opening their restaurant. Washington is known for the half-smoke (half beef, half port smoked sausage), which Bill Cosby helped make famous. Ben's Chili Bowl, Cosby's favorite DC restaurant, has hosted several U.S. presidents treating foreign dignitaries to half smokes.

I have never eaten a Ben's Chili Bowl half smoke, but Costco's sells them and I have fixed them at home. They are good, but I prefer the ones from Meats and Foods.
I’m going to be the outlier/weirdo in the group. My hot dogs used to be just ketchup and mayonnaise, but I’ve recently discovered the singular joys of combining A-1 sauce with mayonnaise.
I love that combination! Also mayo and Sweet Baby Ray's is great.
Bluegrass Meats makes a great cheddarwurst. Place said wurst on a bun with mustard, onion, and your choice of chili and you will be in hot dog heaven...Nathans is much better than Oscar Meyer!!!

:Thumbs:

And i couldn't agree with hoot more about the true test of a good dog is one with just mustard on it.

Which segways well into favorite condiment. I'm not picky about Yellow Mustard but I'm partial to Guldens Spicy Brown Mustard. And if it's not Heinz Ketchup or Hellman/Dukes Mayo I'm out! Confusednicker:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever."

-Mahatma Gandhi
It's been a long time since I had a Dairy Cheer hot dog, but they were my favorite when I was living in Kentucky.

For anybody who travels I-79 between Charleston and Fairmont, WV, The Custard Stand between Flatwoods and Sutton serves pretty good hot dogs. They also sell their hot dog sauce in their restaurants. Their coleslaw is also very good. I always take a tub of the sauce home with me when I stop at one of their restaurants and the Wal-Mart in Alexandria, VA, also sells the stuff.

According to The Custard Stand's website, the Wal-Marts from Ashland to Pikeville and South Williamson sell their hot dog chili. It is a little sweeter than my homemade sauce, but it is the best store-bought hot dog sauce that I have found. It is cheaper in their restaurants, where you can buy it frozen in 1, 3, and 5 pound tubs.

https://custardstand.com/retail-availability/
Westside Wrote:IMO, hotdogs may be the greatest food every invented along with vienna sausages and bologna. Where is your favorite place to grab a dog? What do you like on your hotdogs? Who has the best hot dog chilli?

I have a few good old time recipes and know a few different places with good hot dogs.I like mustard on top of the chili Smile
Westside Wrote:I used to love Sam's Hotdogs in Coal Run. I haven't had one in about 5 years, but that was my favorite place. The chilli was great and so was the slaw. They also always steamed the buns. I always like mine with chilli and slaw. Occationally, I would add onions and mustard. Betsy Layne Dairy Bar always had good footlongs as did Country Kitchen in Grethel. I only tried the Cincinnati hotdogs with cheese, and all that stuff once when I was was like 10 or 11, and then, it was at the Cincinnati Zoo. So, I'm not sure that counts. The bun was hard as a brick. It was a terrible dog.

I liked Camp Washington in Cincinnati. The Rootbeer Stand in Corbin has good hot dogs. Dorsie's Dairy Bar in Pikeville ain't bad either. Weaver's in London is pretty good. Conley's in Middlesboro. Frosty Mug at Harrogate,TN. Katie's at Lafollette,TN
Granny Bear Wrote:I make the best hot dogs in the world!! lol Other than that, I like the hot dogs at Dairy Hut in Harlan.

I don't think I've ever tried that place. bread and butter pickles suck. lol
jetpilot Wrote:Dorsie's Dairy Bar in Pikeville is a truly iconic place.

I've been to both places. I'm blessed.
Hoot Gibson Wrote:To me, the test of a good hot dog is whether it tastes good with nothing but mustard on it. If you have a hot dog that passes that test and top it with a good hot dog sauce (as opposed to chili), then you have something special.

From Corbin out 25 E and down 25 W to Tennessee has always been known for good hot dogs. Highland park Drive-In in Williamsburg is another good one. http://www.chowpapi.com/eastern-kentucky...in-corbin/
Granny Bear Wrote:I love that combination! Also mayo and Sweet Baby Ray's is great.

Sweet Baby Ray's is rubbish. Go hibernate. lol
Spirit100 Wrote:Bluegrass Meats makes a great cheddarwurst. Place said wurst on a bun with mustard, onion, and your choice of chili and you will be in hot dog heaven...Nathans is much better than Oscar Meyer!!!

:Thumbs:

And i couldn't agree with hoot more about the true test of a good dog is one with just mustard on it.

Which segways well into favorite condiment. I'm not picky about Yellow Mustard but I'm partial to Guldens Spicy Brown Mustard. And if it's not Heinz Ketchup or Hellman/Dukes Mayo I'm out! Confusednicker:

I like Hellmann's Mayonnaise, Hunts Ketchup and Plochman's Mustard if not making it homemade Smile
Hoot Gibson Wrote:It's been a long time since I had a Dairy Cheer hot dog, but they were my favorite when I was living in Kentucky.

For anybody who travels I-79 between Charleston and Fairmont, WV, The Custard Stand between Flatwoods and Sutton serves pretty good hot dogs. They also sell their hot dog sauce in their restaurants. Their coleslaw is also very good. I always take a tub of the sauce home with me when I stop at one of their restaurants and the Wal-Mart in Alexandria, VA, also sells the stuff.

According to The Custard Stand's website, the Wal-Marts from Ashland to Pikeville and South Williamson sell their hot dog chili. It is a little sweeter than my homemade sauce, but it is the best store-bought hot dog sauce that I have found. It is cheaper in their restaurants, where you can buy it frozen in 1, 3, and 5 pound tubs.

https://custardstand.com/retail-availability/

Barbourville,KY has Mitchell's Chili sold in tubs. and Robinson's Meats near London has hot dog chili. I think Middlesboro has one they sell in tubs,too.
https://www.chowhound.com/post/eastern-k...urg-691432 I agree with this article on Grippo chips. They compliment hot dogs perfectly.