Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Just an idea for seeding the playoffs in the future...
This is an idea I came up with after being introduced to West Virginia's point system which they use to rank teams and seed them. I think it would work amazing in Kentucky although it will cause some travel issues along the way. However, it will provide new playoff matches and completely rid us of these weak districts most teams play in. When was the last time Mayfield lost their district? Belfry? Beechwood? Get my point?

This would change every week with each week's results and relies heavily on the competition you play in order to rank each team. First off, I would drop the number of teams in the play to sixteen (this will still work with thirty-two) which will push teams to play better competition or at least twenty four teams with the top eight teams getting first round byes.

All of this will add together and to keep up, I will use Belfry, Boyle County, Central and Corbin for examples.

Step One, your current record... Number of wins minus number of losses...

Belfry... 6-1.... Playoff points = 5
Boyle County... 7-0... Playoff points = 7
Central... 5-2... Playoff points = 3
Corbin... 6-1... Playoff points = 5

Step Two, we look at ALL the teams you have defeated. Add up there combined number of wins and subtract the combined number of losses... Whatever this number is, we add it to number of points after step one.

Belfry... Combined victories win/lose record... -11... 5 + -11 = Points -6
Boyle County... combined victories win/lose record... -2 + 7 = Points 5
Central... combined... -8 + 3 = Points -5
Corbin... combined... -12 + 5 = Points -7

Step Three, we look at the teams whom have beaten you. You subract each team's losses from your total playoff points...

Belfry... Losses of teams that have beat you... 0... Points: -6 - 0 = -6
Boyle County... No losses, number is 0... Points: 5 - 0 = 5
Central... 5... Points: -5 - 5 = -10
Corbin... 0 (Mayfield has no losses)... Points: -7 - 0 = -7

Playoff Rankings of these four teams based on strength of records/points...

Boyle County... 5 points
Belfry... -6 points
Corbin... -7 points
Central... -10 points

Anyone who finishes positive in this is almost assured to be a top three seed. Given, this is based off of where each of these teams are right now using this year's schedule which also includes their weak districts. Your overall record plays a part, the quality of the teams you beat plays a part and the quality of the teams that beat you plays a part... Proof how this can average out in a contender favor and work against a pretender...

Emience in single A...

Step 1: Overall record... 6-1... 5 points
Step 2: Combined record of teams you beat... 8-33... Points 5 - 25 = -20
Step 3: Combined losses/teams that beat you... 3... Points -20 - 3 = -23

Emience under my system would struggle to make a 16 team Single A playoff because of their strength of schedule.

This system encourages playing tough games without big pently of losing to good teams. It will offer a true ranking system that is mathically based on more than just your wins and losses. This also provides teams that are building a chance to avoid playing games they have no chance at winning and helps good teams avoid games that make them no better. What do you all think, should KHSAA adopt a system like this?
That what make the wv playoff great for the player they look forward to play at home or long bus ride across state
bball_fan Wrote:This is an idea I came up with after being introduced to West Virginia's point system which they use to rank teams and seed them. I think it would work amazing in Kentucky although it will cause some travel issues along the way. However, it will provide new playoff matches and completely rid us of these weak districts most teams play in. When was the last time Mayfield lost their district? Belfry? Beechwood? Get my point?

This would change every week with each week's results and relies heavily on the competition you play in order to rank each team. First off, I would drop the number of teams in the play to sixteen (this will still work with thirty-two) which will push teams to play better competition or at least twenty four teams with the top eight teams getting first round byes.

All of this will add together and to keep up, I will use Belfry, Boyle County, Central and Corbin for examples.

Step One, your current record... Number of wins minus number of losses...

Belfry... 6-1.... Playoff points = 5
Boyle County... 7-0... Playoff points = 7
Central... 5-2... Playoff points = 3
Corbin... 6-1... Playoff points = 5

Step Two, we look at ALL the teams you have defeated. Add up there combined number of wins and subtract the combined number of losses... Whatever this number is, we add it to number of points after step one.

Belfry... Combined victories win/lose record... -11... 5 + -11 = Points -6
Boyle County... combined victories win/lose record... -2 + 7 = Points 5
Central... combined... -8 + 3 = Points -5
Corbin... combined... -12 + 5 = Points -7

Step Three, we look at the teams whom have beaten you. You subract each team's losses from your total playoff points...

Belfry... Losses of teams that have beat you... 0... Points: -6 - 0 = -6
Boyle County... No losses, number is 0... Points: 5 - 0 = 5
Central... 5... Points: -5 - 5 = -10
Corbin... 0 (Mayfield has no losses)... Points: -7 - 0 = -7

Playoff Rankings of these four teams based on strength of records/points...

Boyle County... 5 points
Belfry... -6 points
Corbin... -7 points
Central... -10 points

Anyone who finishes positive in this is almost assured to be a top three seed. Given, this is based off of where each of these teams are right now using this year's schedule which also includes their weak districts. Your overall record plays a part, the quality of the teams you beat plays a part and the quality of the teams that beat you plays a part... Proof how this can average out in a contender favor and work against a pretender...

Emience in single A...

Step 1: Overall record... 6-1... 5 points
Step 2: Combined record of teams you beat... 8-33... Points 5 - 25 = -20
Step 3: Combined losses/teams that beat you... 3... Points -20 - 3 = -23

Emience under my system would struggle to make a 16 team Single A playoff because of their strength of schedule.

This system encourages playing tough games without big pently of losing to good teams. It will offer a true ranking system that is mathically based on more than just your wins and losses. This also provides teams that are building a chance to avoid playing games they have no chance at winning and helps good teams avoid games that make them no better. What do you all think, should KHSAA adopt a system like this?
You are very close to reinventing Ohios Harbin points system.
Kentucky had the Dickenson System in the 60s and 70s - way too complicated.
Plus, Kentucky isn't going to eliminate half teams from the playoffs.
Plus, you'd lose district and regional championships, according to this.
If Eminence doesn't make your playoff due to strength of schedule, they wouldn't make it the other way because they'd lose to the larger schools and not make it anyway.
Kentucky had the Dickenson System in the 60s and 70s - way too complicated.
Plus, Kentucky isn't going to eliminate half teams from the playoffs.
Plus, you'd lose district and regional championships, according to this.
If Eminence doesn't make your playoff due to strength of schedule, they wouldn't make it the other way because they'd lose to the larger schools and not make it anyway.
So Assland Raceland Russell would never make the playoffs because there isn’t enough good teams in our area to earn the points needed to make it! Teams would have to travel thousands of miles a year just to find good competition! Stop trying to fix something that isn’t broken! We are so worried about fairness that we want to handicap teams like Mayfield Belfry and Beechwood just because they’ve worked their asses off and built great programs? Just get better and beat them!
RAMDAD50 Wrote:So Assland Raceland Russell would never make the playoffs because there isn’t enough good teams in our area to earn the points needed to make it! Teams would have to travel thousands of miles a year just to find good competition! Stop trying to fix something that isn’t broken! We are so worried about fairness that we want to handicap teams like Mayfield Belfry and Beechwood just because they’ve worked their asses off and built great programs? Just get better and beat them!

What are you talking about?
I think the solution is simple. Go to 12 classes. This way only 16 teams can make playoffs thus eliminating 1 round and we can crown 6 more state champions with 12 classes of basically 16-20 teams per class.
The flaw in this system is you have to guess how good a team you play is gonna be two years down the road with home and home contracts. Not to mention non traditional small schools often struggle to get better teams to play them in years when they are “going to be up”.
fridaynightfights Wrote:The flaw in this system is you have to guess how good a team you play is gonna be two years down the road with home and home contracts. Not to mention non traditional small schools often struggle to get better teams to play them in years when they are “going to be up”.

Good thing the small schools get to play in the small school playoffs against other small schools.
Not agreeing with you on this. But to still keep 32 teams in the 1st round I would divide kentucky into east and west. Kind of like what we do now with regions 1 with 2 and 3 with 4, then pick the top 16 teams from the combined regions.
MountainSports Wrote:Not agreeing with you on this. But to still keep 32 teams in the 1st round I would divide kentucky into east and west. Kind of like what we do now with regions 1 with 2 and 3 with 4, then pick the top 16 teams from the combined regions.

So you want to take a system we have now where a team controlled it’s own destiny and seeding by doing the simple thing....just win baby!! You wanna replace it with a system where people vote for the teams that make it and vote for the teams seeding??? Who would want this?? We complain about how college does it but yet you are suggesting the same system for high school?? Craziness!!
RAMDAD50 Wrote:So you want to take a system we have now where a team controlled it’s own destiny and seeding by doing the simple thing....just win baby!! You wanna replace it with a system where people vote for the teams that make it and vote for the teams seeding??? Who would want this?? We complain about how college does it but yet you are suggesting the same system for high school?? Craziness!!

You didn't read the post. Nobody but you has mentioned voting. The post is about seeding teams using math.
I intrepided “picking” as voting...my bad I was multitasking this morning
Hell no.
The only thing that needs adjusting in KY is the number of classes. 5 should be the number. Would fix most of the geography issues with districts as nearly all would have 5-6 teams (maybe all) and some wouldn't have to travel 100 miles to play a district game as they do now and will in the new alignment.
Just wanted feed back, to see what everyone would think. It was my personal preference to drop to 16 teams, but 32 is not a big issue. My system would eliminate the need for districts though so teams like Johnson Central and Ashland, just for example, could actually play really good teams rather than the rest of their weak district. You say Raceland would have to travel, why is that? Paintsville, Pikeville, Hazard are within a hundred miles. There are really good teams just across the border in West Virginia. This gives teams scheduling freedom but does not punish for losing to good teams. However, scheduling bad teams for a really good record does get punished. You could easily split it into east and west to see that way, but look at 2A right this moment... CAL, DeSales and Mayfield are far and above everyone else in 2A and will play in the semi-finals at best. Why not use a system that puts (no fighting, this is just to make a point) Mayfield as the #1 seed, CAL as the 2 seed and they cannot play unless they meet in the state championship. Look at the east side of Single A after Beechwood moves up. The four best teams are consistently going to play in the Regional Finals and Semi-finals. This is simply saying get rid of districts so the best teams have a shot at playing in the state finals against each other. Plus, we always end up with a three team district somewhere that just screws everything up and how many single A teams have forfeit their first round games over the last few years? If anything over zero is too many. As for dropping a round, look at the first round through out the history of this playoff system... they are always 99% of the time blow outs. Drop it to a sweet 16, get better games early and let making the play offs be a big deal again.
The KHSAA will never approve anything that eliminates that many teams from the playoffs.
By ellminating districts and regions, you make a state championship the only achievement possible.
I don't think the idea of high school sports is reduce possible achievements for student athletes just to eliminate all the teams from the playoffs considered unworthy by some poll.