Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
13th Region Predictions
UKCC Wrote:Clay County had a reserve transfer to OBI, I believe. Haven’t heard anything about Jackson County. The transfer issue goes back to a decision made a few years ago.

The two transfers were not going to play many varsity minutes with who Clay has coming back, that’s why they transferred.
Clay has had a lot of kids quit or transfer the last few years. Idk the story behind all of them but it’s def an issue
Clay has had more than two kids quit or transfer. Playing time plays a slight role.
It's simple......no one wants to play for someone who can't win.
I think this may be a make or break year for Clay and their staff. If they can win their district and have some success in the region they are headed back in the right direction. If not they have really fallen off hard. I think Bell is going to be very good despite a couple transfers too. It'll be interesting to see those 2 teams lock horns this year!
When we start talking about IF Clay can win their district then I think they've already fallen off pretty hard. All we heard 2-3 years ago was about how this was the most talent since the late 80s/early 90s. This group is now sophomores/juniors so it's now or never I would think. How long has Gray been at the helm now?
nedreader Wrote:When we start talking about IF Clay can win their district then I think they've already fallen off pretty hard. All we heard 2-3 years ago was about how this was the most talent since the late 80s/early 90s. This group is now sophomores/juniors so it's now or never I would think. How long has Gray been at the helm now?
this will be his 3rd year I believe
This does seem like a make or break year for Clay. It will be interesting to see how they do. Obviously NL lost a lot, but a lot of people seem to like them. Jackson is always dangerous as well. But that being said I'd pick Clay to win their district and see what happens in the region.
I just heard today Bell County is going to the WYMT tournament. The Bobcats are going to be on the big screen (the one in my den). I don't know who else is in the tournament though.
ArJay Wrote:I just heard today Bell County is going to the WYMT tournament. The Bobcats are going to be on the big screen (the one in my den). I don't know who else is in the tournament though.

Joining Bell will be:

Clay County
Floyd Central
Harlan County
Knott Central
Knox Central
Paintsville
Perry Central.
North Laurel
Corbin
South Laurel: most talented but can't make it past these two again this year
Knox Central
Clay County
factsonlyplease Wrote:North Laurel
Corbin
South Laurel: most talented but can't make it past these two again this year
Knox Central
Clay County

North Laurel must be going to be really good and better than expected. A lot of people are picking them to do really well. It looks like the 2 Laurel County schools maybe the best in the region?
South Laurel is the team to beat.
cchsfan4life Wrote:It's simple......no one wants to play for someone who can't win.

Ouch!!!
South
Knox
Harlan county
Corbin
Clay
Middlesboro
North

Pretty big gap after 1-4 I believe.
Jaguarhoundbird Wrote:South
Knox
Harlan county
Corbin
Clay
Middlesboro
North

Pretty big gap after 1-4 I believe.

2 teams from Bell's district and Bell not 1 of them. I still think we have a lot of talent and will be very good this year even with some transfers.

It seems Corbin is always good no matter who they have, but how are they going to be with the players they lost last year?
ArJay Wrote:2 teams from Bell's district and Bell not 1 of them. I still think we have a lot of talent and will be very good this year even with some transfers.

It seems Corbin is always good no matter who they have, but how are they going to be with the players they lost last year?

They looked really rough in summer ball, but you can't put much stock into that at all. The chemistry issues are definitely real with them, and that will be their biggest issue.
I just don't see how Knox could be ranked any lower than second with four starters back, plus several reserves.
I can't imagine Corbin not being a contender. They lost a couple of very good players, but they had a lot of depth and one of the best JV teams I saw last year.
I think there's a gap after 1 and 2, but then about seven or eight teams in that group.
I think Bell could definitely be in the mix in that group after the top two, but they did look just awful in the last two district tournaments, so they have something to prove. They only lost one transfer from what I hear now. Last I heard, Partin is still at Bell for his senior year.
nedreader Wrote:When we start talking about IF Clay can win their district then I think they've already fallen off pretty hard. All we heard 2-3 years ago was about how this was the most talent since the late 80s/early 90s. This group is now sophomores/juniors so it's now or never I would think. How long has Gray been at the helm now?

This is year 3 of this term. He also served as head coach 1 other year, losing to Barbourville at home in the region semifinals!
Go Colonels!
HCS Wrote:I just don't see how Knox could be ranked any lower than second with four starters back, plus several reserves.
I can't imagine Corbin not being a contender. They lost a couple of very good players, but they had a lot of depth and one of the best JV teams I saw last year.
I think there's a gap after 1 and 2, but then about seven or eight teams in that group.
I think Bell could definitely be in the mix in that group after the top two, but they did look just awful in the last two district tournaments, so they have something to prove. They only lost one transfer from what I hear now. Last I heard, Partin is still at Bell for his senior year.
Knox was ranked a little lower by some cause the turners left but are back now. He helps them. Corbin is always there. Harlan co is to far away to tell how good they will be 🤣
HCS Wrote:I just don't see how Knox could be ranked any lower than second with four starters back, plus several reserves.

I didn't know the Turners had come back. Them boys can play. Corbin is always good I just know they did lose a lot.
I am sure glad to hear Partin is still at Bell. Bell I think could be a top 5 team with the talent they have. Even though Middlesboro got 1 of our best young'uns. We just seemed to fall apart late last year. Hopefully this year we will get it together.
ky playmaker Wrote:Knox was ranked a little lower by some cause the turners left but are back now. He helps them. Corbin is always there. Harlan co is to far away to tell how good they will be 🤣

I know you hate that trip - I'm glad it's not as far going the other way. Smile
Last I heard, only the oldest Turner returned, but things may have changed.
I agree about Corbin - no way to ever count them out.
Ramey is the best player in 13th this season and was top two last season. It is souths to loose but the hounds and kc will give it a run. But you have to go with south cause Ramey and Cromer, best 1 2 punch.
Just going to say it one more time. If Morris does the job that I think he will Middlesboro will make a lot of noise this year. I think the All A, District, and Region are not out of the question for this group of kids. With that said it will be up to Morris to put all the parts together and keep the team intact. Going to be fun to watch Middlesboro Basketball again and even on the Girl's side as well with what I'm hearing.
Middlesboro has a lot of players now. The 52nd district is shaping up to be very competitive I believe. No bad teams in the district.
The 52nd should be better. Lots of seniors this year I noticed - Middlesboro with eight, Bell with six and Harlan with five at last count.
HCS Wrote:The 52nd should be better. Lots of seniors this year I noticed - Middlesboro with eight, Bell with six and Harlan with five at last count.

Wow! we might as well enjoy being good for 1 year any way as a district!
HCS Wrote:I know you hate that trip - I'm glad it's not as far going the other way. Smile
Last I heard, only the oldest Turner returned, but things may have changed.
I agree about Corbin - no way to ever count them out.

Oldest Turner is the only one that came back.
ArJay Wrote:North Laurel must be going to be really good and better than expected. A lot of people are picking them to do really well. It looks like the 2 Laurel County schools maybe the best in the region?

South will be very good I believe the region is theirs to lose, don't hold your breath on North Laurel I'm sure we'll be playing a bunch of middle school kids cause none of the upper classmen want to play for the coach. Wish we could run him off as quickly as he's ran some really good talent off!!