Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
14th Region 2019
What's the region look like for next season?

Estill County, the defending 14th region champs, have dominated the region ever since coming over back in 2006. Can they keep it up after losing 4; Lindsey Wood, Kaylee Covey, Sarah Wiseman, Lindsey Isfort. They return another fantastic pitcher in junior to be, Hannah Adams, plus power hitter, sophomore to be, Kaylee Riddle, among several others that will be a senior loaded team.

Perry central, Region runner up, loses 5, Lauren Fugate, Lexi Haddix, Kameron Noe, Katie Pigman, Emily sizemore

Wolfe County, region semi-finalist, returns everyone

Jackson City, region semi-finalist, loses 1, Tiarra Trent

Leslie County, first round of region, loses 4; Natalie Deaton, Savannah Morgan, Kailee Mullins, Lexie Webb

Powell County, first round region, loses 6; Breanna Addison, Haleigh Bauer, Chloe Billings, Erika Howard, Olivia Nickell, Sharon Noble

Letcher County Central, first round region, loses 4; Meghan Combs, Brooke King, Savannah Parson, Makaya Whitt

Knott County Central, first round region, loses 6; Lauren Baker, Kasey Hall, Samantha Laine, Hannah Slone, Steisha Smith, Kamryn Thornsberry

Lee County made great strides last season and even won the 14th region all a classic, lose 2, Hallie Land, Haley Tipton

looks like Breathitt County will be the region host next season.
Estill
Jackson City
Wolfe
Wolfe
Jackson City
Perry
Knott
Estill - Sadly
I think Estill will still contend, depending on who they land as coach.
No way Perry and Knott are ahead of Estill. Both teams lost their starting pitchers and don’t have proven replacements. Estill has 2 pitchers coming back that would have started on 90% of the 14th region teams last year.
Go Engineers!
Two pitchers coming back? Covey pitched every inning for two complete seasons. The pitchers coming this year are unproven Freshmen that haven’t pitched one inning at varsity level. Farmer has extreme potential and should get the nod.
Estill - still the team to beat.
Wolfe - return everyone from a good team last year
Jackson City - return everyone from a good team last year (trent was hurt and didn't play)
Lee County - good squad coming back
Breathitt - I think they return everyone too
DarkHorse99 Wrote:Two pitchers coming back? Covey pitched every inning for two complete seasons. The pitchers coming this year are unproven Freshmen that haven’t pitched one inning at varsity level. Farmer has extreme potential and should get the nod.

Preach
catsrule Wrote:Estill - still the team to beat.
Wolfe - return everyone from a good team last year
Jackson City - return everyone from a good team last year (trent was hurt and didn't play)
Lee County - good squad coming back
Breathitt - I think they return everyone too

Wolfe is the team to beat. Wolfe is returning basically everyone. They do lose their 3rd basemen, but still, that can be filled. Trust me, Estill takes a big step back. Wolfe, Jackson City, and Breathitt is without a doubt the toughest District out there.
I think it all depends on who Estill tabs as their head coach. If they get some unknown in there that don't know what they are doing (which is very much possible with the way the Super runs things at Estill) then they probably will take a step back, if they get someone in that knows how to win and has won before then they will be in good hands and will probably be near the top.
Well an unknown coach versus a coach that doesn’t know are two different things.... an unknown coach to the program may be the best option. Ya know...bust up the political BS and plays the best players to win the most games. Saylor, even despite his flaws, would not hire a coach that is ignorant to the game itself. He’s part of the KHSAA governing committee so I doubt he would want to make himself or our county be the laughing stock of athletics.
Mark Chaney is the man for the Estill job.
1. estill
2. wolfe
3. perry
4. letcher
5. breathitt
Bulldogs4Ever Wrote:Mark Chaney is the man for the Estill job.

:biglmao::biglmao::biglmao::biglmao:
DarkHorse99 Wrote:Well an unknown coach versus a coach that doesn’t know are two different things.... an unknown coach to the program may be the best option. Ya know...bust up the political BS and plays the best players to win the most games. Saylor, even despite his flaws, would not hire a coach that is ignorant to the game itself. He’s part of the KHSAA governing committee so I doubt he would want to make himself or our county be the laughing stock of athletics.

Politics will never leave no matter where ur at. If it be political on the hiring of a coach or political on a coach playing players. Yea you are right a unknown coach could be good but then could also spell disaster. Im sure their would be a coach in the community or within a neighboring county that would be more than qualified to coach and not be political. Then if you do find that kind of coach the political parts plays part on the other side. But who is to say that person would take the job or again may not be anyone and have to look else where. Just hope they get the right staff in that fits the program.
Chaney for Prez!!!
True, politics will never not exist. But,only way to truly deal for now in this particular situation in Irvine is to go outside with coaching hire. ONLY OPTION with this organization right now. As for best in the region, Estill will be tested with their pitching. The two that are freshmen have made strides, but different pitching a frosh vs an 18 year old. However, Estill’s possibilities of offense will help. Lee Co has good pitching, but not lots of spin. Samples is a good coach but leaves many things in question. They are closing the gap. Jackson City are basically playing middle schoolers as varsity. They are well coached and perform the same. Benny has it going on in Campton. This may be his year. Perry central loses lots. Knott loses pitcher as well. If it ever was a year to not go to the region power Engineers, this truly is a year that will be up for grabs.
It is just around the corner boys. What do yall think?
I think Wolfe wins the region this year. They’ve been knocking on the door for a few years and finally have some experience to fall back on.
My money is on Perry Central. They have the most talent and the best coach in the state.
Should be a fun one this year. I'll go with Estill. Their schedule will have them ready. Wolfe and Perry will both be tough outs for anyone, including Estill this season.
How is it that a Perry has the most talent and the best coach in the state? Lol maybe he needs to win something before we crown him the King. Perry didn’t win last year with a proven pitcher and a couple of solid hitters that aren’t there anymore. Why would they be the favorite now?
Well Reds Fan if you want me to be all technical I guess I can be.

#1- PCC has the best pitcher in the region, Kim Hughes.

#2- PCC has the best catcher in the region, Jamie Pollard.

We all know it all starts at the pitcher catcher slots. Perry has the best 2.

Now everyone knows that all the other coaches in the region are either older than dirt and just plain worn out or dont have the head coaching experience needed to be a championship coach. Bobby Ratliff has to be the best coach in the region by far (he has the youth, coaching ability, and the college baseball pedigree that none of the others have and not to mention he has the best hair. Perry Central is the favorite. Facts are facts.
The region still runs through Irvine until they can be beat on a consisent basis. Estill also has the best hitter in the region in Kailee Riddle.

Estill, Wolfe and Perry will all be fighting for the region this season. Maybe 1 or two more teams thrown into the mix.
I will give Pollard a ton of credit. As far as the new pitcher has she ever pitched in a district or regional tournament? If not she’s unproven. It’s rare to have youth and a ton of coaching experience he must be the best coach in the region. If he stayed at a Holiday Inn Express recently he might be the best coach in the nation. Lol
I think it’s Wolfe, then Estill. Perry wants to be the lead fdog but can’t get over the hump. Bobby is a great coach...but with limited talent...they bring up the 3rd or 4th spot. Benny should finally get over the hump in Campton. Will be interesting.
as far as the best pitcher in the region you cant over look Lee countys Emily Reed seen her pitch and she has a little more than fast ball,wolfe has a good pitching staff as well estill and i will agree perry is tough but i also think jackson city will be solid and here Hazard has the young swinging the bat pretty good so it should be a exciting 14th this year and never count Faulkner out he can pull his girls together
True..Faulkner is chomping at the bit to take a win from Estill. I agree Jackson City will be a dangerous team this year. They only lose a couple kids and are a very young team...so will make some noise. Don’t know the girl from Hazard but have heard big things. Reed is a good pitcher and could help out Lee as being an upper class man. Should be the MOST interesting 14th region in a long time. So very glad that softball is getting stronger in the mountains.