Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Predictions of 2007 Tennis State Tournament
It is early in the season, but what are your the predictions for state?

I look for some central Kentucky players, but from what I'm hearing, I believe the Lawrence County kid has a shot this year. I really need to catch one of his matches.

As far as the girls go, I'm clueless.

Anyone else have input besides myself?
I believe he has the potential to do very well, maybe all-state honors, but there are some really good players outside of the region like Quigley(won state past 2 years). I certainly believe that Martin will have some great success though.
I must agree with you Foshizzle. Yes, I bet Quigley will have it sealed. Robert Stedman from Louisville was second seed last year (I believe he is either a junior or senior). It should get interesting.
Yes, if I remember right, Nathan Martin played Robert Stedman 2 years ago in the first round of the state tournament. Robert Stedman is a real good player.
I look for Nathan Martin to get better as he gets older and he should improve at the state level compared to his last 2 years. But I don't look for any of our 15th region players to make much noise at the state level this year. It is still fun to go though.
State tournament is alot of fun for all the players, win or lose.
Prestonsburg's number one doubles team will go to state IMO....Jared Harmon and Trevor Patton.....They play very well together.
I believe Paintsville,s Kelsey Hughes will be the number 1 girl singles. Top two boys will probably be Nathan Martin from Lawrence County and Zack Hughes from Paintsville. I've been told that all three kids travel several days a week for practice and it must be working.
State predictions will depend on the draws. Kelsey Hughes is young and would have to compete against some older, stronger girls. Nathan Martin (sophmore, I think) should get some rounds unless he is up against the really good older players. Zack Hughes could make a couple of rounds depending on the draw. Any wins would be great.
Old Man Wilderness Wrote:Prestonsburg's number one doubles team will go to state IMO....Jared Harmon and Trevor Patton.....They play very well together.

I disagree. I think Paintsville's number one doubles will trample Patton and Harmon. Jarrod Pelphrey and Joseph Spradlin have played very well all year. I believe they will take the region fairly easy.
I think Magoffin's 1 girls doubles will do great Ameila and Amy.. they play great together and have improved alot in singles also.. they should be interesting to watch..
What are the predictions for the 15th Pre-Regional Tournament at Prestonsburg tomorrow?
Old Man Wilderness Wrote:Prestonsburg's number one doubles team will go to state IMO....Jared Harmon and Trevor Patton.....They play very well together.

I guess anything is possible. BUT.... just recently Paintsville's #1 doubles had no trouble getting past P-burg's #1 doubles. So I'll have to go with Paintsville's #1 doubles.
Paintsville didn'tplay prestonsburg's number 1 doubles, I was actually attending this game.. Craig Cooley (7th seed) and Patton (3rd seed) are the ones that played together. Im very confident about this duo, its very amusing to watch these two play tomorrow. If want to watch the action. the PIT is tomorrow early.
Ok, so how did this 'amusing' team play?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
How did everyone do at pre-region tournament?
Ok....

This goes out to the people who were saying that Nathan Martin was afraid to play the kid from Morgan County in the Prestonsburg Tournament, and furthermore, spreading the word that he was a wuss.

1) Nathan Martin is not a wuss.

2) I dont see where you are getting that he was afraid to play this kid, because in my opinion, Martin would have dominated him.

3) If you do believe that he didnt play him because he was afraid of losing, then your wrong. He left because he had a match in Ashland, and the Morgan County boy would not play Martin earlier so he could make it there on time. And by the way, he played a 3 set match, then played another 2 set match on Saturday evening, then on Sunday, he played two more 2 set matches. So if you think he was afraid of playing the finals of the Prestonsburg Touranment, then your wrong.

4) If anyone has a problem with this, and still believes that Nathan Martin is a wuss and was afraid to play in the tournament, then please send me a private message.
Who ever said he was afraid to play him?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
A friend was telling me about what he heard some boys saying at the Prestonsburg tournament, and that was what he heard.

He also told me what county the boys where from, but I will not add that.
Alright, well keep it calm, no one on here is saying anything about him.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
I am keeping it calm, but I just wanted get it straight that Martin didnt play because he had a more important match, and not because he was afraid of losing.
I never said you weren't.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Yeah, crazytennisfan. I wouldn't think too much on what you heard. People will say things without knowing all the facts. Just brush it off and forget about it. It's not worth wasting time on!!!
I wouldn't worry too much about it, Martin is still going to have #1 seed in the region, and still win it.
JBS doubles boys team swept the tournament yesterday...beating a good pikeville team and i think 2 others and beat the prestonsburg doubles team of Patton and Jarod in 2 sets n the finals
crazytennisfan Wrote:A friend was telling me about what he heard some boys saying at the Prestonsburg tournament, and that was what he heard.

He also told me what county the boys where from, but I will not add that.

:lmao: LMAO!!

Well all I have to say is that these boys must know little about tennis and even less about their fellow competitors! Nathan Martin is hands down the best player in the 15th Region! The only player that could even possibly give him a good game would be Zach Hughes, but still Nathan would be the clear favorite. I know for a fact that he would not be afraid to play anyone anywhere, but even more so in the 15th Region. The players in the Ashland tourney that Nathan played in could rip through every #1 seed in every school in the 15th Region.

I know that Nathan had a more important match in Ashland and couldn't stay in P-burg any longer, but I don't really know why that he wasted his time going to the P-burg tourney in the first place with the time frame he had to work with.

Anyway, anyone that wants to think Nathan is afraid to play them will just have to learn the hard way at Regionals that they are wrong!
ComfortEagle Wrote:Ok, so how did this 'amusing' team play?

If your referring to Prestonsburg, they were beaten in the finals. Both teams were exhausted. In prestonsburgs second game, they lost the first set and jbs got up 4-0 and Prestonsburg finished with a comeback and won that set 7-5 and won the next set 7-3...Then in the finals they played JBS, were beaten both sets, well since jbs isnt in their region, i could see this prestonsburg team being 1 of the 3 doubles teams going to state. Good Luck Boys
I could not have said this better!

I would say that Martin entered this tournament because high school tennis is a team sport and his team entered. I believe Tanner Queen also played both tournaments too. Also, Nathan entering could help establish seeding in the region for the other players based on their performance against him. Im sure it was a tough decision for him to leave. He is a fierce competitor. Him playing in both tournaments had to be hard. I think he played 5 matches Saturday, 2 of them were in Ashland. If Morgan County would have played on 30 minutes rest like others did we would have seen the finals played. Then Martin would have played 6 matches Saturday. I challange anyone to try that!! I don't think Martin was running from a match! Thats why kids like Nathan, Zach, and Kelsey Hughes are becoming players to contend with across the state.

The P-burg tournament was a good tournament!
EKY Sportster Wrote::lmao: LMAO!!

Well all I have to say is that these boys must know little about tennis and even less about their fellow competitors! Nathan Martin is hands down the best player in the 15th Region! The only player that could even possibly give him a good game would be Zach Hughes, but still Nathan would be the clear favorite. I know for a fact that he would not be afraid to play anyone anywhere, but even more so in the 15th Region. The players in the Ashland tourney that Nathan played in could rip through every #1 seed in every school in the 15th Region.

I know that Nathan had a more important match in Ashland and couldn't stay in P-burg any longer, but I don't really know why that he wasted his time going to the P-burg tourney in the first place with the time frame he had to work with.

Anyway, anyone that wants to think Nathan is afraid to play them will just have to learn the hard way at Regionals that they are wrong!
Thats right southernfan. 5 matches in one day is tough, especially with the hot weather like it was on Saturday.
I was surprised to hear that Martin didn't play the last match either. But like FOSHIZZLE already clearified, he'll still be the number one seed in the fifteenth anyway.