Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Interesting article
https://www.theadvertiser.com/story/spor...101687802/
From another state so there doesn't have to be childish mud slinging to discuss the topic.
I do agree with this. The whining people do about a kid going to a different school after middle school isn't recruiting.

It's the coaching/school/program/culture that is the DRAW for that kid and parents. Essentially that combination recruits.
Explorer Wrote:I do agree with this. The whining people do about a kid going to a different school after middle school isn't recruiting.

It's the coaching/school/program/culture that is the DRAW for that kid and parents. Essentially that combination recruits.

No one complains if a kid changes schools to go to an elite academic school with a wealth of opportunities for them. But, do it for a sport? Heaven forbid. The sky is falling, and you need to stick in your original school, like God intended.
More than that side of the coin what about the notion that if you put together a great staff you can take little Johhny and, gasp, make him better, with 4 years of coaching.
Iam4thecats Wrote:More than that side of the coin what about the notion that if you put together a great staff you can take little Johhny and, gasp, make him better, with 4 years of coaching.

Good coaching makes every player better.

I'm never sure what the equation is with coaching and players. Because I've known some good and great coaches who haven't had the horses to run with a majority of people. I would tend to go with better coaching than having better players.

But, I don't think school's in this state are in much of a position to be picky about who they hire to coach.

It's just like in college basketball. You know that Cal is going to do everything he can to get you into the NBA. If you're a kid in high school, and there is a coach who gives you every tool to be a great football or basketball player, you're crazy not to go with that.
There are a lot of dynamics that make a football program great. I agree that coaching quality is at the top. There are some great coaches at lesser schools. Those schools may still suffer though because there may only be one or two quality coaches. Good programs have a minimum of 4-5 quality coaches.
Ghostofjoey Wrote:There are a lot of dynamics that make a football program great. I agree that coaching quality is at the top. There are some great coaches at lesser schools. Those schools may still suffer though because there may only be one or two quality coaches. Good programs have a minimum of 4-5 quality coaches.

And championship teams have 6-7. Especially in the upper 4,5,6a
This article says it all. Unfortunately some people still cant get over that their programs isn't as good as another one. When the kids transfers, it is automatically 100% because they recruited them. Has nothing to do with the kid or family wanting a better opportunity for themselves or their families. Our program gets accused daily on here by butt hurt jealous haters of recruiting "their" players. So I always respond back with the above or maybe they should step back and ask why players are leaving or wanting to leave their programs for ours and others? It's not like the old days where we are giving kids T-birds to drive around haha.
Can’t AMEN this article enough! To this day, when I hear folks (even the ones from my own fan base) ragging on Belfry because of the West Virginia stuff. I always tell them, “You may be right, but that’s not what makes them great, Phillip Haywood and his staff makes them great”. Now that I’ve said something good about Belfry, excuse me while I go vomit...😜
Hound05 Wrote:This article says it all. Unfortunately some people still cant get over that their programs isn't as good as another one. When the kids transfers, it is automatically 100% because they recruited them. Has nothing to do with the kid or family wanting a better opportunity for themselves or their families. Our program gets accused daily on here by butt hurt jealous haters of recruiting "their" players. So I always respond back with the above or maybe they should step back and ask why players are leaving or wanting to leave their programs for ours and others? It's not like the old days where we are giving kids T-birds to drive around haha.

I'll sit back and watch all you sneaky snake BS'ers lift each other up trying to convince yourselves. lol
HAIL PIKEVILLE! Wrote:Can’t AMEN this article enough! To this day, when I hear folks (even the ones from my own fan base) ragging on Belfry because of the West Virginia stuff. I always tell them, “You may be right, but that’s not what makes them great, Phillip Haywood and his staff makes them great”. Now that I’ve said something good about Belfry, excuse me while I go vomit...😜

You vomited when you said that Confusednicker:
This is the most positive thread since I joined BGR in Nov. Can someone argue against it just for fun?
Sure I will argue. The definition of recruiting is plain and simple. If a Coach or any rep from another school talks to a kid or parents about coming to their school, in my eyes is recruiting. Academics or athletics. It doesn't matter what age they are. So can a rep from a school recruit a middle school kid ...absolutely. Does it happen... absolutely. Just to throw a blanket statement out that it is not recruiting because they are middle school is crazy. Now, if a family decides on their own with NO influences to come to a school, different story. Each case is different.
Explorer Wrote:This is the most positive thread since I joined BGR in Nov. Can someone argue against it just for fun?

Yes. it is positively a load of BS :Clap:
AnswertheBell Wrote:Sure I will argue. The definition of recruiting is plain and simple. If a Coach or any rep from another school talks to a kid or parents about coming to their school, in my eyes is recruiting. Academics or athletics. It doesn't matter what age they are. So can a rep from a school recruit a middle school kid ...absolutely. Does it happen... absolutely. Just to throw a blanket statement out that it is not recruiting because they are middle school is crazy. Now, if a family decides on their own with NO influences to come to a school, different story. Each case is different.

Is Bell getting any good players from Virginia this year? Confusednicker: