Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
BEST IN 58th in 2007-2008
I know it's early, and they're a lot of coaching positions open. But I was just wandering who you think? I believe it's Betsy Layne's year to win the title no matter who the coach is.The last three years, I believe has been a different school winning it, might as well finish it off the fourth year with all 4 schools winning the district tournament in 4 years.
AC lost 5 seniors- 3 starters- and 2 who saw some big minutes off the bench. Alex Hammonds will return at PG and should do a nice job leading AC next season. Josh Prater will also return for AC. I look for Hunter Crowder to step in to Josh Martins spot, I'm not sure who replace Collins and Slone. The Rebels will return Clinton Turner and Robbie Cole as well as Logan Crowder and Chris Stumbo. Hopefully these boys can develop some chemistry during summer ball.
I think its a toss up right now, but is their any truth to the rumor that Betsy Layne will be leaving for one of the Pike County districts?
I heard that same rumor. The David School would no longer have a KHSAA team and BLHS would replace them in their current district. Magoffin would move to the 58th after that.
Newman from Betsy Layne will eaisly be the top player in this district he has the size to completly take over a game on the interior.
Moe Wrote:Newman from Betsy Layne will eaisly be the top player in this district he has the size to completly take over a game on the interior.

Newman improved greatly each time I saw him play this past season. If he continues to improve (at that rate) he will definitely be a top player in the district. Several people have commented that this was his first year of organized basketball- I can only imagine what he could be had he gotten an earlier start. What kind of effect could BLHS's new coach have on Newman?
gotcha2 Wrote:Newman improved greatly each time I saw him play this past season. If he continues to improve (at that rate) he will definitely be a top player in the district. Several people have commented that this was his first year of organized basketball- I can only imagine what he could be had he gotten an earlier start. What kind of effect could BLHS's new coach have on Newman?

Hopefully their new coach has a good effect on him, he seems to be a great young man and a dominant force down low.
gotcha2 Wrote:I heard that same rumor. The David School would no longer have a KHSAA team and BLHS would replace them in their current district. Magoffin would move to the 58th after that.

The KHSAA is trying to shift BL in with Pike Central according to my sources. Magoffin would then come to the 58th, however, they will not vote on it until Jan of 08 so it's not going to happen next year.

Let's hope it doesn't happen period. Honestly, (and I know I'm off topic) I think all of Pike County should be one district. It would create excitement once again for district tournaments in Pike County because I think the district tournaments in the 59th & 60th have kinda lost their edge over the last few years.
I like the 58th district the way it is right now. But with all the consolidation talks- that will probably change eventually and the 58th could be down to only 2 schools.
gotcha2 Wrote:I like the 58th district the way it is right now. But with all the consolidation talks- that will probably change eventually and the 58th could be down to only 2 schools.

You can't have a 2 team district, so things will drastically change if there is more consolidation.
betsy layne is stayin in the 58th for certain and they should have the best team by far ther return three starters in case top 5 point gaurd in the region lafferty the teams true leader and keathely one of the top 5 shooters in the region and the big man that came of the bench last year jared newman who is by far the regions best big man
The blackcats will be tough to handle behind the shooting of Hall, Hughes, and Burchett and the post play of Gearheart and Stephens. The blackcats have looked pretty good during summer ball
Moe Wrote:Newman from Betsy Layne will eaisly be the top player in this district he has the size to completly take over a game on the interior.
uhh...no!
jammin' jamey Wrote:The KHSAA is trying to shift BL in with Pike Central according to my sources. Magoffin would then come to the 58th, however, they will not vote on it until Jan of 08 so it's not going to happen next year.

Let's hope it doesn't happen period. Honestly, (and I know I'm off topic) I think all of Pike County should be one district. It would create excitement once again for district tournaments in Pike County because I think the district tournaments in the 59th & 60th have kinda lost their edge over the last few years.
Then you haven't been to a 59th District battle in a while!!
whodey85 Wrote:betsy layne is stayin in the 58th for certain and they should have the best team by far ther return three starters in case top 5 point gaurd in the region lafferty the teams true leader and keathely one of the top 5 shooters in the region and the big man that came of the bench last year jared newman who is by far the regions best big man
haha,,,,uhhh no!!!!!!!!!
Irish#1 Wrote:The blackcats will be tough to handle behind the shooting of Hall, Hughes, and Burchett and the post play of Gearheart and Stephens. The blackcats have looked pretty good during summer ball
Totally agree!! Best P-burg team in a while!
I think BL and P-burg will battle for the top spot in the 58th next year.
whodey85 Wrote:betsy layne is stayin in the 58th for certain and they should have the best team by far ther return three starters in case top 5 point gaurd in the region lafferty the teams true leader and keathely one of the top 5 shooters in the region and the big man that came of the bench last year jared newman who is by far the regions best big man

that was a great and true statment other than you listing keathley as a top 5 shooter thats a joke right, if your going with a 3 point shooter on that team I would choose tyler kidd he could out shoot keathley anyday
bball_2000 Wrote:that was a great and true statment other than you listing keathley as a top 5 shooter thats a joke right, if your going with a 3 point shooter on that team I would choose tyler kidd he could out shoot keathley anyday

I look for keathly to have a big year! I think he's one of the better shooters in the region.
Luke The Drifter Wrote:I look for keathly to have a big year! I think he's one of the better shooters in the region.

It depends I don't look for keathley keeping that starting position now that coach rose is gone, He will have to work harder for it, he's more of a streaky shooter games he is hitting I would let him shoot and games he isn't I would keep the ball out of his hands
Keathly will start for BL no matter who coaches. He would start for any team in the district next year.
Betsy Layne will be strong.
bball_2000 Wrote:It depends I don't look for keathley keeping that starting position now that coach rose is gone, He will have to work harder for it, he's more of a streaky shooter games he is hitting I would let him shoot and games he isn't I would keep the ball out of his hands

I have to agree with you there. Now that Rose, and his coaching staff (cough, cough), is gone, he will definatly have to pick up the pace and work for his starting position.
If it is Coach Hall who gets the job then all of them will have to work for the starting spots. He believes in you earn what you get. Might be more then Keathley looking for playing time. So don't just say he will be the only one. He is their best shooter but might need to pick you he's Defense a little.
When you have a good big man like Newman it opens up the outside! And I'll say it again Keathly could start for any team in the district next year easily and he will definitely start for BL --- no matter who coaches them! I do look for BL and P-burg to battle for the top spot in the district next year. AC will be down after losing 4 key seniors and SF lost the majority of their offense off a team that only won 3 or 4 games so I don't think they will be a factor.
I persoanlly think that Betsy Layne has the best shot for two reasons. 1) They have a playmaker and emotional leader in Brennan Case and... 2) Jared Newman. Newman is going to dominate the interior this year as no one in the district that is returning matches up with his height and body build. He has a sweet touch off the glass, the only downfall is his free throw shooting. He almost single handily beat AC last year when they played at the dome until AC got some smarts and started hackin him. Must improve in that area.

Another predicition i will lay out here. There will not be a team that will run the table in district play this year. Who ever gets hot at the end of the year will win the district tourney and Johnny Rebel has a tendancy of puttin the fire in his kids eyes toward tourney time.
Betsy Layne and ACHS!! P-Burg has potential to come out of this district, but need a goto guy!

Case is not close to being a top 5 PG in the region. He isnt even the best in the 58th. And the same can be said for Keathely being a top 5 shooter in the region. He would also be lucky to be top 5 in the district.
AC lost 3 seniors and SF lost what little they did have so I think it will be between BL and P-burg this year with P-burg coming out on top. It may take P-burg a few games to get going and come together as a team just like last year but they are always ready during tournament time. Will be tough to stop the shooting of Hall and Hughes and post play of Stevens and Gearheart. BL's offense this year will be based on nothing but Case driving and passing the ball IMO and if you stop him from driving they fall apart because Lafferty isnt much of a scoring threat he just keeps the team under control and Keathley doesnt move around enough to get open unless he has a play ran just for him. Newman will be the biggest threat but I look for him to be in foul trouble quiet a bit, if he stays out of foul trouble he will be tough to stop but 1 guy cant beat 5. Its still a lil to early to pick a winner but I look for a great game between these 2.
Case is the best PG in the 58th hands down