Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Talking Reds Baseball...
If you hit 3 HR and still can't win, something is wrong. But I guess that goes with not being patient at the plate, when no one is on base, how can the HRs plate any runs.

I just want them to get out of this slump they are in. No more losing back to back games and the season should end up pretty well.
Beef Wrote:If you hit 3 HR and still can't win, something is wrong. But I guess that goes with not being patient at the plate, when no one is on base, how can the HRs plate any runs.

I just want them to get out of this slump they are in. No more losing back to back games and the season should end up pretty well.

I don't know if you caught last night's game, but you nailed it spot on. The Reds were over-aggressive at the plate all night. Swinging at 1-0 counts, 1 pitch swinging. No patience whatsoever, except for Josh Hamilton.
Edwin E. yanked from the game after failing to run-out a ground ball in the top of the 2nd inning. WOW.
It wasn't for not running out a ground ball. I was watching the game and it was for not running to 1st on a fly ball to second base with runners on 1st & 3rd with 1 out. I would leave him benched for a while after that. I would like to see Freel play third and move hamilton to center just to see what happens. Hamilton 2 good games now going to be hard to keep him out of the line-up if he keeps this up. Yes Reds win to stay in tie with St.Louis for 1st place . GO REDS !!!!!!!
Ball 4 Wrote:It wasn't for not running out a ground ball. I was watching the game and it was for not running to 1st on a fly ball to second base with runners on 1st & 3rd with 1 out. I would leave him benched for a while after that. I would like to see Freel play third and move hamilton to center just to see what happens. Hamilton 2 good games now going to be hard to keep him out of the line-up if he keeps this up. Yes Reds win to stay in tie with St.Louis for 1st place . GO REDS !!!!!!!

You're right. Edwin didn't even leave the batters box on the pop-out. Sad thing is that there are two sets of rules when it comes to hustle. Notice this next time you watch Junior jog to 1B on a grounder or pop-fly.
I agree about JR. jogging to 1st but so do most of your major leaguers. But what Edwin did by not even leaving the batters box is totally inexcuseable. They just aren't very many Ryan Freels out there anymore. Even when he has a bad game he will still husltle no matter what !!!!!
We were talking tonight and I said the Reds pitching is the baseball version of the Bengals defense, just the Reds don't have the offense of the Bengals
QB Challenge Champion, Just Pitching Champion, Midi Golf Champion- My Greatest Accomplishments in Life
BFritz Wrote:We were talking tonight and I said the Reds pitching is the baseball version of the Bengals defense, just the Reds don't have the offense of the Bengals

Actually, this year so far it has been the pitching, not the offense, that has been carrying the Reds. Not saying it will be like this all year, but after today's shutout I'm pretty sure that the team ERA is something like 3rd or 4th. Matt Belisle and Kyle Lohse have been pleasant surprises, and the bullpen has mostly thrown up zeroes.

Hope it stays this way!
SHELBY VALLEY WILDCATS - 2010 KHSAA STATE CHAMPIONS

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/news/arti...p&c_id=cin

The Reds have extended the contract of Ryan Freel through 2009 today...
BTW... The Reds team batting average is at .226

The Reds team ERA is 2.93!
jammin' jamey Wrote:BTW... The Reds team batting average is at .226

The Reds team ERA is 2.93!

After last night's slugfest, the Reds bullpen ERA has launced from 1.73 to like 3.05...Smile

The Reds lost last night 10-6 to Milwaukee. It actually wasn't Milton's fault, more of the bullpen than anything with Todd Coffey coughing up a grand slam to Bill Hall to put the game out of reach.

Bright spot? Josh Hamilton hit another homerun last night. That's his 3rd homerun in 18 AB's. He should be playing tonight and everynight in my opinion.
Whagts up with Reds fans. Watching the game tonight and the stadium is empty.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[YOUTUBE="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Y2Ezx8SnN0"][/YOUTUBE]
Batpuff Wrote:Whagts up with Reds fans. Watching the game tonight and the stadium is empty.
As a baseball fan, especially a Reds fan it's sad to see the stands so empty. Imagine if you lived closer to Cincy. You can get a ticket as cheap as $5.00 (outer view level) It just depends on where you prefer to sit.Myslef I'll go see the Reds for that If I lived that close.
Advance Eagles Wrote:As a baseball fan, especially a Reds fan it's sad to see the stands so empty. Imagine if you lived closer to Cincy. You can get a ticket as cheap as $5.00 (outer view level) It just depends on where you prefer to sit.Myslef I'll go see the Reds for that If I lived that close.

I know I would go to a lot of games if I lived close to Cincy. I remember when I was a kid I always thought how cool it would have been to have season tickets and go to every home game.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
The Reds have released Chad Moeller, marking the first time since early last season that the Reds are carrying just 2 catchers on the roster.

Norris Hopper was activated from the DL.

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a...704190341/
Griffey is ill and will not be the lineup tonight vs. Houston...
Griffey is still battling the flu and will not be in the lineup tonight vs. Philly. He's not nearly as bad off as the Reds bullpen however. Hopefully, things can get turned around this week and get right against the Phillies, who are really struggling. Brett Myers, considered by some to be the ace of the staff, finds himself in the bullpen!
Although the Reds won last night, it was disappointing to see the bullpen blow it the 2 games before. That has got to be the worst possible way to lose a game - have a lead the entire way, then blow it at the end.

Slightly off-topic here, perfect example why win/loss record is so misleading with starters, last 3 nights the starters have pitched these lines:

Harang - 6 IP, 1 ER
Arroyo - 7 IP, 2 ER
Lohse - 7 IP, 0 ER

Not one of the 3 got a win for his efforts. I have always felt that when the pen blows a lead for a starter and the team still wins later, it is ridiculous to give the W to the bullpen guy, who often is the one who blew the lead in the first place.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Well I did get to see something interesting at the game yesterday even though they lost.

A triple play.

Question for the masses? How common of an occurrence is that?
does anyone know how many runners Adam Dunn and Griffery Jr. have left standing they can"t win if they don"t hit and what has happened to the relief pitching.
Midee1 Wrote:Well I did get to see something interesting at the game yesterday even though they lost.

A triple play.

Question for the masses? How common of an occurrence is that?

From a 2005 article in forbes magazine...

Just 659 triple plays have occurred in the past 130 years of Major League Baseball.

http://www.forbes.com/2005/10/21/triple-...eplay.html
rallo316 Wrote:does anyone know how many runners Adam Dunn and Griffery Jr. have left standing they can"t win if they don"t hit and what has happened to the relief pitching.

I did find this today...

Dunn has struck out 27 times in 70 at-bats, nine times in his last four games.

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a...704230340/
182 games is SO many...what to look for is trends...
the 2007 Reds cannot seem to get two out hits, cannot
put the ball in play enough in several positions in
the line-up, don't consistently get stops out of the
pen...if these trends continue, we're looking at a
ninety loss season...
jammin' jamey Wrote:I did find this today...

Dunn has struck out 27 times in 70 at-bats, nine times in his last four games.

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a...704230340/
Of those 9 K's atleast 5 were with runners in scoring position.
I know everyone talks about he may strikeout a lot but he will hit you 40 homers a year. I dont care about 40 homers a year, this guy is a liability on defense who is just too fat to get to a routine fly ball, and he never comes through with a big hit. I would like to see a stat on how many solo homers he has hit over the past 3 years. He has like 12 sac flies in his whole career. I think its time to trade Dunn and get some young arms for that horrible bullpen, or atleast get some batting helmets or something out of him.
Tubby Hater Wrote:Of those 9 K's atleast 5 were with runners in scoring position.
I know everyone talks about he may strikeout a lot but he will hit you 40 homers a year. I dont care about 40 homers a year, this guy is a liability on defense who is just too fat to get to a routine fly ball, and he never comes through with a big hit. I would like to see a stat on how many solo homers he has hit over the past 3 years. He has like 12 sac flies in his whole career. I think its time to trade Dunn and get some young arms for that horrible bullpen, or atleast get some batting helmets or something out of him.

I would be ok with them trading Dunn, but if they do they had better get some offense in return. Our starting pitchers are actually the best part of the team right now, and Dunn is too valuable to dump for bullpen guys (the Reds went down that road last summer). Lack of runs is what is killing this team.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Alright...Milton gives up 3 in the first.....can we kick him to the curb yet?
Once again Dunn strikes out with runners on and then hits a solo homer in the 9th, this guy is killin me. He cant even hit a sac fly when needed and usually doesnt even put the ball in play. He finally gets moved to bottom half of lineup tonight. I say fire Narron and trade Dunn. I forgot to mention he let Jason Bay get a double out of a routine base hit to left because he was being lazy and didnt field the ball agressively and get it back into the infield.
The Reds traded Chris Denorfia to the Oakland A's for 2 players to be named later. Denorfia is currently out for the season due to injury. Denorfia batted .278 with two home runs and nine RBIs in 67 games for Cincinnati the past two seasons.

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/news/arti...p&c_id=cin
Seems the Reds are starting to get the bats going! They finally scored some runs for Arroyo tonight and blew out the Astros. He got his first win, although he should've already had 4 wins before tonight...

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
More Cowbell Wrote:Seems the Reds are starting to get the bats going! They finally scored some runs for Arroyo tonight and blew out the Astros. He got his first win, although he should've already had 4 wins before tonight...

Last night was simply Roy Oswalt. The Reds have a terrible history against the guy and it showed last night. Adam Dunn embarrassed himself one AB vs. Oswalt.

Hopefully the Reds can take the rubber game tonight, although Eric "Meltdown" Milton is pitching! Rolleyes

Brad Salmon was impressive in his Reds season debut Tuesday night. He hit 96mph on the radar gun and was consistently at 95mph. Cool