Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NCAA Tournament Seeding (Games In-Progress)
(03-20-2024, 12:02 PM)jetpilot Wrote: Colorado State beat Virginia 67-42. It was 27-14 at halftime.

That’s high level basketball that the selection committee put up for us to watch.
If you need any assistance or want to report a problem feel free to PM me and we will get it taken care of!  Thank you for choosing to be apart of the BGR community!
#BBFL
[-] The following 1 user Likes Spud6's post:
  • jetpilot
Time for some Old School facts, Colorado State is undervalued .  They were in a very good conference in which all the good teams beat up on each other all season. They play very good team basketball. They will beat Texas.

Also, while Tony Bennett's style of play mighe be boring to some, he is a fine basketball coach. He's a three -time Hank Iba Award recipient, two-time Naismith College COTY , two-time AP COTY, only coach besides Dean Smith and Coach K to winn ACC COTY four or more times. Coaching is in his blood. He's the son of the great , former Wisconsin coach, Dick Bennett.  Tony led UVA to the national title in 2019 and has a winning percentage just south of .730 at UVA.

Yet ...  UVA fans are calling for his ouster on social media forums.  My gosh... Rod Serling was right ... that genius b@st&rd of the macabre was right... PEOPLE ARE ALIKE ALL OVER!!!

[Image: https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/image...w&usqp=CAU]
A question for BGR BBN fans: If you could pull the trigger on this trade right now , would you do it?

HOF'er John Calipari for two-time Naismith COTY , two-time AP COTY, 2019 National Champ , Tony Bennett of UVA?

Calipari for Bennett... anyone ?
(03-20-2024, 05:22 PM)Old School Hound Wrote: A question for BGR BBN fans:  If you could pull the trigger on this trade right now , would you do it?

HOF'er John Calipari  for two-time Naismith COTY , two-time AP COTY, 2019 National Champ , Tony Bennett of UVA?

RED HERRING ALERT! Would we trade our loser for someone else's loser is not a conversation.
I have a better idea, let's get someone who is winning stuff.
(03-20-2024, 01:28 PM)Old School Hound Wrote: Time for some Old School facts, Colorado State is undervalued .  They were in a very good conference in which all the good teams beat up on each other all season. They play very good team basketball. They will beat Texas.

Also, while Tony Bennett's style of play mighe be boring to some, he is a fine basketball coach. He's a three -time Hank Iba Award recipient, two-time Naismith College COTY , two-time AP COTY, only coach besides Dean Smith and Coach K to winn ACC COTY four or more times. Coaching is in his blood. He's the son of the great , former Wisconsin coach, Dick Bennett.  Tony led UVA to the national title in 2019 and has a winning percentage just south of .730 at UVA.

Yet ...  UVA fans are calling for his ouster on social media forums.  My gosh... Rod Serling was right ... that genius b@st&rd of the macabre was right... PEOPLE ARE ALIKE ALL OVER!!!

[Image: https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/image...w&usqp=CAU]

When it comes to losing you are right. 99% of the people reject it. It takes a very easily brainwashed person to get comfortable with mediocrity.
(03-20-2024, 06:22 PM)jetpilot Wrote:
(03-20-2024, 05:22 PM)Old School Hound Wrote: A question for BGR BBN fans:  If you could pull the trigger on this trade right now , would you do it?

HOF'er John Calipari  for two-time Naismith COTY , two-time AP COTY, 2019 National Champ , Tony Bennett of UVA?

RED HERRING ALERT! Would we trade our loser for someone else's loser is not a conversation.
I have a better idea, let's get someone who is winning stuff.
Bennett's a big-time winner. He plays a boring style, which might frustrate BBN, but , like the Hall of Famer, he's a winner.
I can already answer my own damn question for BGR scholars. That answer is, no one's trading our HOF'er for the '19 national champion and one of the winningest coaches in the ACC. We b!t#h about our own but there's very few coaches we'd trade him for when it came right down to it.
We never win anything but "muh HOFer" is a loser's argument that the average 4th grader would scoff at. St. Peter's coach didn't give a rat's a$$ about it but OSH hangs his hat on it.

Bruce Pearl just won the SEC tournament but "muh HOFer" continued to suck.
(03-20-2024, 05:22 PM)Old School Hound Wrote: A question for BGR BBN fans: If you could pull the trigger on this trade right now , would you do it?

HOF'er John Calipari for two-time Naismith COTY , two-time AP COTY, 2019 National Champ , Tony Bennett of UVA?

Absolutely not.

Bennett is a good coach but he works better at rebuilding a once competitive program like Virginia or turning a football school into a competitor than he does for a program like Kentucky, Kansas, or North Carolina. Recruiting is one of the biggest draws for those types of jobs, and I just can't see many top recruits wanting to play his style of basketball. I don't think that changes anytime soon either. He's had 11 players drafted, with four of those from his 2019 team & the best of those (Klay Thompson) being one of the oldest.

Here are the results of his past seven seasons:

2018 - #1 seed, upset by #16
2019 - National Champ
2020 - COVID (20-7, #42 KenPom)
2021 - #4 seed, upset by #13
2022 - NIT
2023 - #4 seed, upset by #13
2024 - #10 seed, lost in play-in

Honestly, if he doesn't find a way to reinvent himself or return to form at Virginia, he might be out in a few years. If so, he probably fits better stylistically in the Big Ten, but I also wouldn't really be shocked if he wound up at a Georgia or Texas A&M-type SEC program that wants to be seen as making a splashy hire either.
(03-20-2024, 07:41 PM)Cactus Jack Wrote:

Absolutely not.

Bennett is a good coach but he works better at rebuilding a once competitive program like Virginia or turning a football school into a competitor than he does for a program like Kentucky, Kansas, or North Carolina. Recruiting is one of the biggest draws for those types of jobs, and I just can't see many top recruits wanting to play his style of basketball. I don't think that changes anytime soon either. He's had 11 players drafted, with four of those from his 2019 team & the best of those (Klay Thompson) being one of the oldest.

2019 - National Champ
2022 - NIT

Honestly, if he doesn't find a way to reinvent himself or return to form at Virginia, he might be out in a few years. If so, he probably fits better stylistically in the Big Ten, but I also wouldn't really be shocked if he wound up at a Georgia or Texas A&M-type SEC program that wants to be seen as making a splashy hire either.

Yeah, as good a coach as Tony "I've gone from Riches to Rags" Bennett is, very few UK fans would trade the Legend for him.
(03-20-2024, 08:27 PM)Old School Hound Wrote:
(03-20-2024, 07:41 PM)Cactus Jack Wrote:

Absolutely not.

2019 - National Champ
2022 - NIT

Yeah, as good a coach as Tony "I've gone from Riches to Rags" Bennett is, very few UK fans would trade the Legend for him.
Tony has gone from riches to rags and has won a championship 5 years after Cal last did. Big red nose, big shoes. Nobody wants Bennett or Cal.
Something that I'm sure we'll debate a lot here however this works out, but: Auburn played in the SEC Championship in Nashville on Sunday. They'll play their first and second round games in Spokane, WA on Friday and Sunday. If they win, it's likely a meeting with UConn in Boston; if this is the case, I'd have to imagine that the NCAA gives them the late Friday time slot, but that's a lot of miles to travel, especially when you count having to go to and from campus.
^^^Good Lord it's a week later. If jet lag is an excuse for 20 year old world-class athletes a week after a 4 hour plane ride then just forfeit.
(03-21-2024, 01:45 AM)jetpilot Wrote: ^^^Good Lord it's a week later. If jet lag is an excuse for 20 year old world-class athletes a week after a 4 hour plane ride then just forfeit.

Jet lag ---  that describes your posts. 

lol
Samford might not have won, but they got screwed by a foul call on a clean block late.