Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
UK Candidates and their Recruiting...
I think it's safe to say one of the reasons Smith wasn't getting the job done in the Bluegrass is his inability to recruit some of the nation's best. I compiled a list of UK's coaching candidates and a look at their 2007 recruiting class. (While looking at the list, take notice of the state the players are from in reference to school who recruited them. These coaches recruit players "close to home," and I believe it is safe to say, they've succeeded in doing so.) Listed is the player's rank, name, position, home state/province, and star rank (all according to Rivals.com). These recruits are all ranked in Rival.com's Top 150.

Tom Izzo - Michigan State University
31 - Chris Allen - Guard - Georgia ****
36 - Kalin Lucas - Guard - Michigan ****
54 - Durrell Summers - Forward - Michigan ****

Mark Few - Gonzaga University
25 - Austin Daye - Forward - California *****
56 - Steven Gray - Guard - Washington ****
94 - Robert Sacre - Center - British Columbia ****

Billy Donovan - University of Florida
13 - Nick Calathes - Guard - Florida *****
21 - Chandler Parsons - Forward - Florida *****
47 - Alex Tyus - Forward - Ohio ****
68 - Adam Allen - Forward - Florida ****

Billy Gillispie - Texas A&M University
8 - DeAndre Jordan - Center - Texas *****
143 - Nathan Walkup - Forward - Texas ***

Tom Crean - Marquette University
146 - Trevor Mbakwe - Forward - Minnesota ***

Jay Wright - Villanova University
37 - Corey Stokes - Forward - New Jersey ****
61 - Corey Fisher - Guard - New York ****
147 - Malcolm Grant - Guard - New York ***

Rick Barnes - University of Texas
48 - Gary Johnson - Forward - Texas ****
67 - Clint Chapman - Forward - Oregon ****
80 - Alexis Wangmene - Forward - Texas ****

University of Kentucky
138 - A.J. Stewart - Forward - Florida ***

If these high-profile coaches can recruit like this at their respected schools, just think of how they would be able to recruit at Kentucky!!!
Nice post, Tubbys recruiting is pothetic to say the least compare to the rest of these coaches. Who is Austin Daye the 5 star recruit for Gonzaga.
Moe Wrote:Nice post, Tubbys recruiting is pothetic to say the least compare to the rest of these coaches. Who is Austin Daye the 5 star recruit for Gonzaga.
From what I've gathered, Daye is a Small Forward, who is 6'9" and 184 lbs. He attended Woodbridge High School out of Irvine, California. He averaged 30.9 points per game, 14.7 rebounds per game, and 6.6 blocks per game for a team that went just 18-12, according to MaxPreps.com. He was the only player to average double figures, so I'm assuming he was all they had. He led the team with an average of 3.5 assists per game and shot 49% from the floor for the year. To me, this kid seems like a "beast." An excellent all-around player, and a great recruit for Few and Gonzaga.
Interesting post...

Your argument is that Kentucky (Tubby and the future) should recruit more often from players in-state correct?

In the Rivals.com 2007 class list, NO players from prep/high schools in Kentucky are listed, including the favorite for Mr. Basketball, Stephon Pettigrew, yet Kentucky is listed as one of the top schools for Patrick Patterson from West Virginia. So was Tubby not doing his job? Should he recruit players not in the Top 150 just because they are in-state? Furthermore, only 6 of the Top 20 recruits committed to schools in their home state - and 1 of those players (Nick Calathes of Florida) has publicly said he would follow Donovan wherever he coaches next season and not stay true to his home state school.

From the class of 2008, Scotty Hopson listed at #10 from UHA is committed from Miss. State, yet he may not have been academically qualified for Kentucky and has been the subject of attitude issues. At #38, Darius Miller of Mason County, has Kentucky high on his list. The only other in-state recruit, #48 Bud Mackey) has committed to Indiana.

My argument is that Kentucky as a state, may not have the same talent pool as say Texas, Florida, New York (NYC) or California and must look outside the state to stay up as an elite team.

I still find it hard to argue that Tubby couldn't recruit because he brought in 3 All-Americans in one class (one from KY) and 2 of them have made it to the NBA no matter how you judge Morris and his plight. Although, I will agree with those that say Tubby recruited too many "project" players and took them out of their comfort zones just to have them play his style of basketball, instead of finding players like Chuck Hayes, who excelled in Tubby's system.
My main argument wasn't that Tubby should have recruited more in-state players, because I agree, Kentucky's talent pool isn't as D-1 ready as the pools in Florida, Texas, California, etc. And yes, he did have the #1 recruiting class back in 2004. But when you coach at Kentucky, you should have a top 5 recruiting class EVERY YEAR. I'm not saying go recruit every senior who attends a Kentucky high school, but Pettigrew, IMO, should be at UK next season, and Miller should be there in the Fall of 2008. And Mackey really impressed me at the State Tourney. Why not go after him? Smith had 1 very good class (2004), and I don't think this past year's class was bad either. According to Rivals, he also had 2 4-Star and a 3-Star recruit back in 2002. You can't blame him for wanting players who will stay for 4 years instead of those "1 and done" deals. But you can't recruit someone and try to mold them into your system. He would focus on what they could do in his system, and not what their strengths were as an individual. That's where I think he went wrong. IMO, Kentucky is a better program than Marquette, Villanova, and maybe even Texas A&M. I don't think there is any excuse for them having better recruiting class than the winningest program in NCAA history.
StrikeoutKing Wrote:And Mackey really impressed me at the State Tourney. Why not go after him?

He always wanted to go to IU since he was a kid or that's what it said on TCP way back when he committed.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
StrikeoutKing Wrote:My main argument wasn't that Tubby should have recruited more in-state players, because I agree, Kentucky's talent pool isn't as D-1 ready as the pools in Florida, Texas, California, etc. And yes, he did have the #1 recruiting class back in 2004. But when you coach at Kentucky, you should have a top 5 recruiting class EVERY YEAR. I'm not saying go recruit every senior who attends a Kentucky high school, but Pettigrew, IMO, should be at UK next season, and Miller should be there in the Fall of 2008. And Mackey really impressed me at the State Tourney. Why not go after him? Smith had 1 very good class (2004), and I don't think this past year's class was bad either. According to Rivals, he also had 2 4-Star and a 3-Star recruit back in 2002. You can't blame him for wanting players who will stay for 4 years instead of those "1 and done" deals. But you can't recruit someone and try to mold them into your system. He would focus on what they could do in his system, and not what their strengths were as an individual. That's where I think he went wrong. IMO, Kentucky is a better program than Marquette, Villanova, and maybe even Texas A&M. I don't think there is any excuse for them having better recruiting class than the winningest program in NCAA history.

I was going on your 1st post where you said, "These coaches recruit players "close to home," and I believe it is safe to say, they've succeeded in doing so." That's where I was at odds in saying that Kentucky as a state just doesn't have the talent pool other states like Texas, Florida, etc have.

When you say they (coaches) have succeeded in recruiting players close to home, are you saying that their programs are better because they have players from close by because that's what I'm understanding you saying? I'm sorry if I'm misunderstanding your post.

So now, your argument is that UK should go after Pettigrew? But he's not in the coveted Top 150 either and if he turns into another "project" for the future coach, what benefit would he be to UK?
I think now, especially after the departure of Morris, he would be needed more than he was before. This kid is 6'5" 220 lbs. He may be somewhat undersized for a Center position in the SEC, but I'm sure he would make a fine Power Forward. He averaged 33.6 points per game, brought down 13.2 rebounds per game, and made 58% of his shots. No, he's not a "coveted Top 150 recruit," but right now, there aren't many big men left, and UK is in need of just that...guys who can play the post.

Back to my "argument." I wasn't trying to imply that UK lacked Top 150 recruits every year or that those are the only ones worth recruiting. I may have mentioned things that could cause you to take it that way, but that was not my intention. I meant to point out that regardless of who UK lands as head coach, we know we can count on him to bring in top players every year. Tubby had some good classes here and there, but he wasn't consistent enough in landing some of the nation's best. Are the players ranked in the Top 150 the only ones good enough to play D-1? No. But I think being head coach of a program like Kentucky, you should try harder to land these type of players.
They should go after Pettigrew and Mackey both! Both can play against ANY d-1 competition and mackey proved it TWICE against the nations top player in O.J. MAYO!
Mcdonalds Allstar Game 3 Players Going To Duke Nuff Said.
rallo316 Wrote:Mcdonalds Allstar Game 3 Players Going To Duke Nuff Said.
Not really. UK had 3 Mc Allstars 2 years ago. That gaurentees nothing. It looks good for starters but you just have to wait and see how they pan out.
rallo316 Wrote:Mcdonalds Allstar Game 3 Players Going To Duke Nuff Said.

Looks like it worked out for them good this past season.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]