Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pikeville 52 Johnson Central 45 (15th Region Championship)
Final. Pikeville 52-45

Give credit to Pikeville. They won the rebounding battle
Check out my YouTube channel.
www.youtube.com/c/AlexGreenDifferentBreed
On question.
WHY did JC decide to slow it down after Paintsville ran their guts out last night?

I don't understand. That is usually JCs game.
Final was 52-45. Pikeville played some of the best defense you will ever see around these parts.
OffTheHook Wrote:On question.
WHY did JC decide to slow it down after Paintsville ran their guts out last night?

I don't understand. That is usually JCs game.

People thought Pikeville was tired last night but they weren't. JC tried to run with this same Pikeville team last year and Pikeville put up almost 100. Also, Pikeville's bench outscored JC's bench tonight 8-2 according to the radio guys.
I'm sorry. I wasn't the only person that saw they were noticeably tired last night.
OffTheHook Wrote:I'm sorry. I wasn't the only person that saw they were noticeably tired last night.

Not too tired to win the game. And tonight you couldn't tell they even played last night.
OffTheHook Wrote:I'm sorry. I wasn't the only person that saw they were noticeably tired last night.
Paintsville was a far more physical game. That’s why they looked tired towards the end. Tonight it was more length and pressing and Pikeville was built to withstand that better. You could see it in the free throw shooting too. Wyatt was noticeably more composed and smooth on his free throws

Paintsville was a far more physical game. That’s why they looked tired towards the end. Tonight it was more length and pressing and Pikeville was built to withstand that better. You could see it in the free throw shooting too. Wyatt was noticeably more composed and smooth on his free throws
No complaints, no excuses. JC had some costly turnovers at crucial points in the game. The 3 ball wasn't falling and Battaile killed us on the boards with 11.

Rebounding
Pikeville: 34
D - 22
O - 12

JC: 29
D - 21
O - 8

2nd chance points
Pikeville: 15
JC: 7

The game was tied 6 times and 3 lead changes.

As good as JC shot the ball against Belfry, the shots just didn't fall tonight. Pikeville owned us on the boards and hit their free throws. Pikeville played 6 players... Roberts, Byers & Battaile played the entire 32 minutes.

Free throws
Pikeville: 15/21
JC: 14/17

3 point shots
Pikeville: 3/19
JC: 3/13. Gabe Ferrel was the only JC player to make a 3 point shot tonight.

Turnovers
Pikeville: 7
JC: 10
This was a good game but Pikeville dictated the pace of the game not what Johnson Central wanted to happen. Pikeville’s defense was exceptional tonight and like Pulp said they won the rebounding game. Congratulations to Johnson Central and Pikeville on their back to back sweet 16 appearances
Congrats to Pikeville on the repeat. They earned it with their effort on defense and getting timely rebounds. I thought rebounding would be a big issue for an undersized Jc team it was the difference last year and it was the same thing this year. Pikeville fought through some adversity this year with injuries and deserved to be on top at the end.

Future is extremely bright for JC. They will only lose one player off this team. They battled tough all year for such an inexperienced team. I fully expect them to be right back here next year.
Good luck at state next week Panthers. Congrats to JC on a great season especially for being so young.
Scoring
Pikeville scored 163 points in their three regional tournament games.
72% of their scoring came from Battaile & Roberts (118).
93% of their scoring came from their starting five (152).
7% of their scoring came from their bench (11).

Battaile: 23+22+28 = 73
Roberts: 2+27+16 = 45
Byers: 7+2+8 = 17
Watkins: 12
Rhodes: 8+3 = 11
Billiter: 5

Pikeville had 88 rebounds in their three regional tournament games.
Battaile & Roberts (43) had 49% of their total boards.
94% of their rebounds (83) came from their starting five.
6% of their rebounds (5) came from their bench.

Rebounding
VS. Pike Central: 22
Battaile: 8
Billiter: 8
Byers: 3
Roberts: 2
Rhodes: 1

VS. Paintsville: 32
Battaile: 13
Watkins: 8
Byers: 5
Roberts: 4
Billiter: 1

VS. JC: 34
Battaile: 11
Byers: 6
Roberts: 5
Rhodes: 3
Watkins: 2

Pikeville will be graduating three of the six players in their main rotation.
Battaile, Byers & Rhodes was 62% of their total scoring (101).
Battaile, Byers & Rhodes was 58% of their total rebounding (51).
Nice win for Panthers.
Pulp Fiction Wrote:Scoring
Pikeville scored 163 points in their three regional tournament games.
72% of their scoring came from Battaile & Roberts (118).
93% of their scoring came from their starting five (152).
7% of their scoring came from their bench (11).

Battaile: 23+22+28 = 73
Roberts: 2+27+16 = 45
Byers: 7+2+8 = 17
Watkins: 12
Rhodes: 8+3 = 11
Billiter: 5

Pikeville had 88 rebounds in their three regional tournament games.
Battaile & Roberts (43) had 49% of their total boards.
94% of their rebounds (83) came from their starting five.
6% of their rebounds (5) came from their bench.

Rebounding
VS. Pike Central: 22
Battaile: 8
Billiter: 8
Byers: 3
Roberts: 2

VS. Paintsville: 32
Battaile: 13
Watkins: 8
Byers: 5
Roberts: 4

VS. JC: 34
Battaile: 11
Byers: 6
Roberts: 5
Rhodes: 3
Watkins: 2

Pikeville will be graduating three of the six players in their main rotation.
Battaile, Byers & Rhodes was 62% of their total scoring (101).
Battaile, Byers & Rhodes was 58% of their total rebounding (51).
Don’t know how to tell you this, but only Bataille and Rhodes graduate. Return Byers, Roberts, Billiter, Watkins from main rotation.
Not sure how accurate and up-to-date the Khsaa rosters are, but I'm going off of the stats posted from the regional tournament games. A team might have more seniors on their team than what I'm posting.

Johnson Central has one senior.
Pikeville has three seniors.
Belfry has four seniors.
Paintsville has no seniors.
Floyd Central has five seniors.
Pike Central has four seniors.
Shelby Valley has three seniors.
Prestonsburg has four seniors.

Overall, the 15th region was very young this year.
PHSForever Wrote:Don’t know how to tell you this, but only Bataille and Rhodes graduate. Return Byers, Roberts, Billiter, Watkins from main rotation.

The KHSAA roster has #12, Cade Byers, listed as a senior They have #32, Connor Byers, listed as a sophomore.
Pulp Fiction Wrote:The KHSAA roster has #12, Cade Byers, listed as a senior They have #32, Connor Byers, listed as a sophomore.
Oops I believe Byers IS a senior. Not 100% sure but I think you may be right. My apologies.
3 juniors made the all tournament team (Roberts, Watkins, Biliter)...that will be a tough trio for any team to deal with next year.
4everUK Wrote:3 juniors made the all tournament team (Roberts, Watkins, Biliter)...that will be a tough trio for any team to deal with next year.
I also look for some transfers to move in before next season.
Panther went Back to Back! Nice Win!
No surprise here. Pikeville has a great team with the best player in the Region. I think it will be tough going for Pikeville next year replacing him and the other 2 seniors, but it should still be a fairly balanced region with the typical powers in the top 5.
Good to win it in a year where PHS was the favorite. Almost had to win it this year. Great job by all involved. Very proud of this group. First time to repeat since 1952-53. First time Football and Basketball have won region championships in the same school year. Pikeville’s 11th Region Championship in program history.

I thought Pikeville’s effort on the boards and defensively was the difference. Both teams played extrememly hard, but it was ugly at times offensively. Congratulations to Johnson Central on a record 7th consecutive Region Championship game appearance.
Pulp Fiction Wrote:Not sure how accurate and up-to-date the Khsaa rosters are, but I'm going off of the stats posted from the regional tournament games. A team might have more seniors on their team than what I'm posting.

Johnson Central has one senior.
Pikeville has three seniors.
Belfry has four seniors.
Paintsville has no seniors.
Floyd Central has five seniors.
Pike Central has four seniors.
Shelby Valley has three seniors.
Prestonsburg has four seniors.

Overall, the 15th region was very young this year.

Belfry has 6 seniors, 5 of which played huge minutes. Isiah Roblee, Wilson Harris, Ryan Jessie, Koleston Blankenship, Devin Varney and Job Corbett. Those first 5 listed were in our main 6 main rotation.