•  Previous
  • 2(current)
  • Next 
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Prestonsburg coaching search
pjdoug Wrote:give one reason why he wouldn't.

Paintsville has been doing great the past three years. And Paintsville got a lot of Prestonsburg's players here recently.
If you need any assistance or want to report a problem feel free to PM me and we will get it taken care of!  Thank you for choosing to be apart of the BGR community!
#BBFL
People at PHS just need to get on the same page and work together to get the community excited about Blackcat athletics again. If they can’t do that, kids will continue to go to Paintsville & Johnson Central and Floyd Central will own the county.
pjdoug Wrote:give one reason why he wouldn't.

Floyd County politics
My son was down there yesterday checking on the Football and Basketball jobs. We need to get an Alum back to get the ball rolling and some community support.
pay now Wrote:I believe that the search should begin and end with one name, Prestonsburg Alum, Aaron Stepp.

Thought he was a Sheldon Clark alum? Regardless.....great offensive mind.....but his temperament is somewhat mercurial. He would need a lot of freedom....and no classroom responsibilities. He would be a good hire though
2000PHS Wrote:Floyd County politics

That's the only reason needed. lol
Spud6 Wrote:Paintsville has been doing great the past three years. And Paintsville got a lot of Prestonsburg's players here recently.

Yeah, I noticed Paintsville has become a power with a few transfers.
Ike Cooter Wrote:No way that happens. Give me one reason why he would leave Paintsville.

Be a nice fresh start & an escape from all the Fairview 2.0 mess that’s going on in Paintsville w/ all these transfers
Gargamel Wrote:Be a nice fresh start & an escape from all the Fairview 2.0 mess that’s going on in Paintsville w/ all these transfers
I’m NOT a Paintsville fan by any stretch of the imagination. But no matter what school he could go to, there would be transfers. And honestly, the environment is toxic in regards to Pburg football right now. No doubt they’re starved for a winning program again (in terms of being a playoff threat), and the support/resources would be there for any new hire, but it will take a strong personality. Will be an interesting search to see who they land, I could see Chirico taking it just as easy as I could see him turning them down flat.
I have no inside information, just my opinion.

Joe Chirico ain't walking through that door at Pburg.

He lives in Paintsville. His kids graduated from or are still attending Paintsville schools. His children currently enrolled there are thriving. No way he would move his children to Prestonsburg.

So...If he were to leave Paintsville (again) for Prestonsburg (again), how hard would it make life on his children there? Granted it would be for the head coaching position and his kids wouldn't have to move, but you get the point.

Also...most of the talent from Prestonsburg has transferred into Paintsville. He has all the Paintsville talent to work with AND the Prestonsburg talent. Why would you leave that to go to Prestonsburg, where the cupboard is relatively bare in comparison? Would it be possible for the Prestonsburg kids to transfer BACK to Prestonsburg if Chirico took the job? Maybe...I guess. But I doubt it. Most of the Prestonsburg kids currently enrolled in Paintsville absolutely love it there.

Joe may be one of the best coaches I have seen in any sport at any level, and I would love to see him come to Prestonsburg since the Derossett Era is now done. But it ain't happening.
Who are other names people think would be interested?

Don't really care who would take it. I want to know who would want it.
cat86 Wrote:I have no inside information, just my opinion.

Joe Chirico ain't walking through that door at Pburg.

He lives in Paintsville. His kids graduated from or are still attending Paintsville schools. His children currently enrolled there are thriving. No way he would move his children to Prestonsburg.

So...If he were to leave Paintsville (again) for Prestonsburg (again), how hard would it make life on his children there? Granted it would be for the head coaching position and his kids wouldn't have to move, but you get the point.

Also...most of the talent from Prestonsburg has transferred into Paintsville. He has all the Paintsville talent to work with AND the Prestonsburg talent. Why would you leave that to go to Prestonsburg, where the cupboard is relatively bare in comparison? Would it be possible for the Prestonsburg kids to transfer BACK to Prestonsburg if Chirico took the job? Maybe...I guess. But I doubt it. Most of the Prestonsburg kids currently enrolled in Paintsville absolutely love it there.

Joe may be one of the best coaches I have seen in any sport at any level, and I would love to see him come to Prestonsburg since the Derossett Era is now done. But it ain't happening.

The fact that there is open discussion on multiple transfers from one neighboring town to another like they were just going to Walmart says alot about the entire situation.
What Grade Did these kids Switch schools again?

BYLAW 6. TRANSFER RULE- CITIZENS OF THE U.S. BYLAW 6. TRANSFER RULE- CITIZENS OF THE U.S. AND D.C. AND OTHER STUDENTS PREVIOUSLY AND D.C. AND OTHER STUDENTS PREVIOUSLY ENROLLED IN MEMBER SCHOOLS ENROLLED IN MEMBER SCHOOLS Sec. 1) DOMESTIC STUDENT TRANSFER a) Any student who has been enrolled in grades nine (9) through twelve (12) and has participated in any varsity contest in any sport at any school while maintaining permanent residence in the United States or a United States territory following enrollment in grade nine (9) and who then transfers schools shall be ineligible for interscholastic athletics at the varsity (fi rst team) level in any sport for one year from the date of last participation in varsity interscholastic athletics. b) Any student who has been enrolled in grades nine (9) through twelve (12) and has participated in any varsity contest in any sport at any school following enrollment in grade nine (9) who has been previously granted eligibility under the provisions of Bylaw 7 or Bylaw 8 and who then transfers schools shall be ineligible for interscholastic athletics at the varsity (fi rst team) level in any sport for one year from the date of last participation in varsity interscholastic athletics.
Here is the other section on BONA FIDE MOVE for another

BONA FIDE CHANGE IN RESIDENCE- The period of ineligibility may be waived if there has been a bona fi de change in residence by the parents and student that precedes a student’s change of schools. (1) For purposes of this bylaw, a bona fi de change of residence means the uninterrupted moving of the permanent residence of the entire family unit of the student as composed when the student was eligible at the sending school (including one or both parents if at that residence) from one school district or defi ned school attendance area into another school district or defined school attendance area prior to a change in enrollment of the student. (2) To be considered bona fi de, the change must remain uninterrupted for the entire period during which the student would have been ineligible if the exception was not applied. (3) A student who becomes emancipated does not have a bona fi de change of residence by virtue of his or her emancipation and change of residence for purposes of satisfying this exception. (4) Determinations of whether a student shall be granted a waiver pursuant to this exception shall be based on the circumstances existing as of the date of enrollment at the new school.
Most of them left Prestonsburg middle/grade feeder schools and went to Paintsville instead of Prestonsburg.. Some damn fine talent too. Kids of people who played for Prestonsburg.
Some were high school player/students that transferred the last few seasons
Heard that former coach at Clay Co was in town yesterday as well walking around campus. Was at PCC earlier in the day. Be a Great hire. Offensive guru and great with kids.
Which former clay coach? Combs? Napier?
Jarredd Jarrell is a name that I believe people could get around hearing leading this football program. I'm not saying this very instance because he is still super young but they need to bring in a coach that is going to be a mentor to this young man and mold him into a head coach. That would be the greatest decision Prestonsburg athletics ever made in my opinion.
If you need any assistance or want to report a problem feel free to PM me and we will get it taken care of!  Thank you for choosing to be apart of the BGR community!
#BBFL
Coach Napier would be a great hire.
what names have been mentioned so far?
Combs won't leave Magoffin. Building a pretty solid team there. Last season he was drug down by 4 or 5 injuries and 3 of those were his playmakers. So I'm doubtful it was Combs. Is this Wayne Napier's son that coached before Combs at Clay? He wouldn't be a bad hire I wouldn't think. Sometimes things don't work out at certain schools and it just clicks at another. But if I were Pburg I would go after someone that can handle the pressure that will be placed on them. Because we all know there will be a ton of it on them.
bobcatsfan Wrote:Combs won't leave Magoffin. Building a pretty solid team there. Last season he was drug down by 4 or 5 injuries and 3 of those were his playmakers. So I'm doubtful it was Combs. Is this Wayne Napier's son that coached before Combs at Clay? He wouldn't be a bad hire I wouldn't think. Sometimes things don't work out at certain schools and it just clicks at another. But if I were Pburg I would go after someone that can handle the pressure that will be placed on them. Because we all know there will be a ton of it on them.

It would be difficult to pull this off but...

I would hire a coach who has zero ties to the mountains and is very young.

Reasons,

1. Younger meaning more likely to not have children or possibly married and able to move to Floyd Co.

2. Not familiar with the mess that is Floyd Co. politics and more likely to not give a crap either.

3. Dumb enough to take it
Explorer Wrote:It would be difficult to pull this off but...

I would hire a coach who has zero ties to the mountains and is very young.

Reasons,

1. Younger meaning more likely to not have children or possibly married and able to move to Floyd Co.

2. Not familiar with the mess that is Floyd Co. politics and more likely to not give a crap either.

3. Dumb enough to take it

#wisdom
Is the former coach from Clay Aaron Stepp?
Their teaching pay is competitive, but who do they think they’re going to get for this pay? That might be the worst in the entire state.

http://www.floyd.kyschools.us/UserFiles/...7-2018.pdf
I Rule The World Wrote:Is the former coach from Clay Aaron Stepp?

No, Evan Napier.
I look for them to try and get Joe Chirico or Shawn Hager. I heard from a person that would know that Hager already said no. The Chirico idea is not far fetched IMO. But I think PBurg ends up with a familiar name around the program.....
Their pay is a slap in the face.

$3,200 is a disgrace. I haven't checked all & I don't need to, but the head coaching stipends in Floyd County for Prestonsburg, Floyd Central and Betsy Layne are the worst in the state (unless there are some extended days tied into there somewhere, but those are shown with other positions that have E.D's. If there are 10-20 or more extended days then the pot is right).
Fly Like a Duck Wrote:Their pay is a slap in the face.

$3,200 is a disgrace. I haven't checked all & I don't need to, but the head coaching stipends in Floyd County for Prestonsburg, Floyd Central and Betsy Layne are the worst in the state (unless there are some extended days tied into there somewhere, but those are shown with other positions that have E.D's. If there are 10-20 or more extended days then the pot is right).

That's for cheerleading, the football stipend is $7,500, which is probably middle of the pack in the state.
plantmanky Wrote:"I would like to tell the coaches throughout the state I got fired at Prestonsburg HS today yvia a phone call during my 7th period health class from my Principal. Please contact our new AD Ricky Thacker for scheduling or our new Principal Lori Bricken concerning any matters related to our football program. "

Although I don’t know you personally, I do know your a first class guy in all you post. I hate to hear this happened and the way it happened. You deserve better man, best of luck on your next path.
  •  Previous
  • 2(current)
  • Next